December 2017 Moms
Options

"Mixed" babies

2»

Re: "Mixed" babies

• Options
    AMCsquaredAMCsquared member
    edited May 2017
    @afternoonduck I absolutely love that u want to learn! 

@jackiesmom324 I can totally understand why u feel afraid. I've thought about moving south for financial purposes but we are too scared for those same reasons. It's just a reality that a lot of people don't realize because they don't have to or because they only experience it from the outside. We get mean stares and comments just as a couple so I can't imagine what a "different" looking kid would go through. And the things I see on the news in other places of the country are racially terrifying. I'm lucky to be in an extremely diverse state. I hope you and your baby will find a community with love!

@acgonzalez22 I get what you're saying about not realizing you're an interracial couple when you are. I love your approach to raising your kids. Do u have a plan for the bilingualism? Like will u speak English to your kids and your dh will speak Spanish to them?

@knottie3ede3e9293039918 I like your idea of letting a child decide when they are older. If your in law family starts putting on the pressure, let us know and we can discuss! That's definitely hard.

@MJDsquared so the baptism will be more of a new baby formality sort of?

@stillclever17 u bring up a really good point that our children may not face the same things we faced as "inter"whatever relationships 

@ohmickey331 does your husband celebrate Christian holidays while being non practicing or not really? I'm sorry your MIL gives you issues about Judaism. Maybe over time she'll improve?

@Amber_Waves wow I love the diversity in your family!!! That is awesome and your kids will be experiencing so many amazing things!!

@dlpanda08 that's really interesting that you've been exposed to new things since your children joined your household. I am curious if you are incorporating cultural aspects of their heritage? (Music, food, traditions etc). I'd love to talk with u sometime about your adoption process, as I'd love to adopt one day.

@PoeMasque I love your sentiments.
    Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MJDsquaredMJDsquared member
    edited May 2017
    @AMCsquared It's more that I think it's important to DH's side of the family (and though DH doesn't seem to feel like it's important to him right now, I think maybe it will be later since he did it as a kid). I feel like the term Atheist has a really bad connotation and makes me seem like I hate all religion, which I definitely don't. Freedom of religion is extremely important to me, and I respect all religions. Having DH's dad marry us was really cool for us and for him I think, and I feel like it'd be a cool experience on both sides if he could perform a baptism too.

So I guess mostly the 'event' itself would be a cool thing. It's also the first grandchild on both sides, and I have no idea if DH's sisters would baptize their kids. It was kind of the same thing with our wedding. We wanted FIL to officiate, but we felt like it was even more important because we weren't sure if either of his sisters would be willing to get married in the church, so we didn't know if he'd be able to do it for any of his kids if he didn't for us.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    acgonzalez22acgonzalez22 member
    edited May 2017
    @AMCsquared I was born and raised in Miami so I speak a good amount of Spanish. Also, my grandmother speaks fluent Italian amd many of the words are similar if not identical. With DS we speak to him in both, his shows are more in Spanish than English, his books are both. He is 21 months and speaks both pretty well for his age. Your responses to everyone's posts were so kind!
    Edited for spelling. 
  • Options
    @AMCsquared he doesn't the most we do is open presents on Christmas with his parents because they refuse to come to Hanukkah. We'll be together 11 years and married for 6 this year I don't see her changing and that's fine. My family has lot of love and support outside of DHs family but it does hurt my heart for him because he does get upset by her. Her reaction to this pregnancy was super interesting.
  • Options
    @AMCsquared Yes, we have been trying to include various things to celebrate and incorporate their culture. I've learned some new recipes (hello tamales! Lol) and we have let them lead with various celebrations such as honoring people no longer in our lives on the day of the dead. One day I hope to take them to Mexico (where both biological parents were born) and show them more of their culture. 

And I am always happy to talk about our adoption journey! We were actually planning to adopt another sibling set next year before getting our surprise BFP.
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I would argue that all white people are racist, but non white people cannot be racist. They can be prejudiced. I think people often confuse racism with prejudice, but they aren't the same thing.

It is definitely hard to come to terms that we all (we as in white people) have things engrained in us that we actively have to work against.
  • Options
    eazybreezy225eazybreezy225 member
    edited May 2017
    @jackiesmom324 I'm from the Midwest (Wisconsin) and I agree with @jlemons-2... Some small towns might have backwards views, but I haven't seen a lot of racism. I say this as a white woman, but we do have black friends and I believe they'd say the same. There's always going to ignorant assholes, but that's true wherever you are. In general, however, I don't think it's bad here. 

I was actually surprised to hear that people who don't live in the Midwest assume Midwesterners are close minded and kind of backwards. I have a gay friend who lives on the West coast who was looking into relocating, but was worried about her family. I think the majority of Midwesterners are actually very warm, inviting, and accepting.
    I'm also from Wisconsin! and I totally agree with this statement, you're going to find jerks no matter where you move to, but the overall vibe is positive. I think a lot of people forget that the Midwest is home to some pretty large and diverse cities, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, etc. 
    ETA: I can ONLY speak from my own personal experiences, and they don't intend to dismiss or make another's experiences less accurate. I have not lived or traveled to every part of the Midwest, and I'm certain there are areas that are less than welcoming. The cities that I been to and have lived in have had a positive and welcoming vibes, but that isn't to say the negatives do not exist. 
  • Options
    We are an mixed-faith family. We are raising our kids to be open to believing or accepting a religion of their own choosing (or no religion at all) when they are old enough to make that choice for themselves. My husband is Agnostic and I am a witchcraft practicing Pagan. 
    My entire extended family and DHs entire extended family is Mormon (LDS), so we have to be on guard around them with our kids because they have a very strict attitude about religion.
    DH and I are very open minded toward religion and religious concepts. My girls (ages 3,4,7) practice witchcraft with me in simple ways, and my oldest has asked me about the Bible before. But my girls are still so young that it's not something that is high on the list of discussion topics for now.

• Options
    @afternoonduck Thank you for taking the time to write that up. I think you've made some very good points and I think I was being a little unnecessarily defensive and hot headed in my posts in this thread. And I didn't really have the right. Thank you for the enlightening perspective. 

@eazybreezy225 I'm very interested in your religious beliefs and you sound like one cool mama!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH's dad is Native American (Penobscot) and his mom is white (his grandma was a war bride--lovely British lady who married a Yank and moved to the states!) I'm white. Our daughter so far does not look Native American at all (DH has the dark hair but got his mom's fairer skin--when you see him with his dad, it's obvious, otherwise not), but we're excited to take her up to Maine to see that side of the family and show her some of her heritage (though she won't remember this visit). I was baptized Catholic but practice as a lax Episcopalian (only attend church every few weeks, usually), and we baptized DD as an Episcopalian (though her godmothers are practicing Presbyterians). DH is agnostic, leaning toward believing in God, but was not raised in any faith. His dad was nominally Catholic, his mom was raised Christian Scientist, neither practiced as adults and did not raise him in any religion. I take DD to church with me; DH does not attend, but he did come to her baptism. I say prayers with her every night. I was raised saying prayers every night, but rarely attended church (Episcopal when we did; I was baptized Catholic to appease my grandma on my dad's side); I started going more regularly as an adult. So, church will kind of be up to her, though I'd like her to at least attend sometimes with me; it's more important to me that she has a base of faith to draw upon. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    @afternoonduck Thank you for taking the time to write that up. I think you've made some very good points and I think I was being a little unnecessarily defensive and hot headed in my posts in this thread. And I didn't really have the right. Thank you for the enlightening perspective. 

@eazybreezy225 I'm very interested in your religious beliefs and you sound like one cool mama!
    Thank you. I'm very open about my beliefs so if you have any questions, ask away!
  • Options
    @mjdsquared i totally understand what you are saying about feeling like "Atheist" has a bad connotation. i was an atheist myself for several years and i always found myself having to defend it and proving that i was a good person.  and also wow that's really nice and thoughtful that you guys had your FIL officiate.

@acgonzalez22 i love that your DS is bilingual!! my masters degree is linguistics related so i'm sort of obsessed with different options and discussions of raising bilingual kids and i love hearing everyone's experiences and ideas! my own feeling with raising my future kids bilingual is that i want the secondary language to be heavily fed when she/he is young because i know that english will eventually become the dominant language and i want them to have the opportunity to truly be bilingual. but i'll be honest, my mind is already playing with ideas of how i can expose the option of being tri-lingual.

@ohmickey331 oh no what was the reaction?  

@DLpanda08 yessss tamales!! that's wonderful you're exposing them to their culture. have u seen the animation "the book of life"? its about the day of the dead and its for kids! that'd be amazing to take them to mexico one day.  and ok thank you, i will def love to talk to u about adoption!

@b48kate you bring up a good point that being in an interracial marriage can bring difficulties especially in the beginning. i love hearing about the celebrations you've done! thats very interesting. does the 100 days after birth celebration have certain traditions that go along with it?

@eazybreezy225 very interesting! do you think your girls may feel swayed one way or the other toward being agnostic or pagan when they are older?
  • Options
    I also wonder how much shit my in laws might give us about baby names lol
  • Options
    @AMCsquared I never would've know that about Pakistani people. That story is hilarious!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    Haha I now know I don't start getting ready until about 2 hours after start time 
  • Options
    @AMCsquared well I had told my DH by putting the test in a random box we had laying around so he did the same for his parents over FaceTime. Some background first and TW:

I had a corneal ectopic pregnancy that resulted in my losing an ovary and part of my Fallopian tube, it took us almost 4 years to conceive my son lots of tears and tests. 
    So to continue the story my DH says I just got this in the mail but I wanted to show you what it is. So she pretends she can't see it at first my FIL is sitting next to her so he can obviously see it. Do DH says do you see it and she goes no what is it. He says Oh Ashley's pregnant!!! And she goes oh you should take that present back... he ended the call then. No congrats from either IL. 

• Options
    @ohmickey331 WHAT! That is horrible! I'm so sorry. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Ohmick331 Oh my gosh! That's terrible. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. :( 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    2 Dogs / 2 Cats 
    IUI #1 07/2016 BFN
    IUI #2 10/2016 BFN
    IUI #3 11/2016 BFN
    IVF #1 03/2017 - 23 Retrieved / 22 Fertilized / 11 at Day 3 / 1 Beautiful Embryo tf on Day 5 / 7 Frozen on Day 6 - Beta #1 4/5/17: 104 Beta #2 4/7/17 224
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @vvitchhazel
    @txmomma16
    @dkizz82
    Ya, they are special people, for the longest time I thought they were like this because of something I did but recently I realized it's them not me. They are super jealous of my parents because mine actually make efforts to be involved (sometimes a little too involved) in my DS life. But do nothing to try and be there more. Lots of passive aggressiveness on their part. I wish it was different for the sake of my DH DS and new LO but it's who they are and I can't change that.
  • Options
    @ohmickey331 wth!!! Ughhh.

@dkizz82 wow I teach esl too!! Ick to those other teachers telling them that. How don't they understand that native language transfer helps to reinforce meaning when learning a new one? Lots of ignorance out there about bilingualism 
  • Options
    dkizz82dkizz82 member
    @AMCsquared my teachers are so clueless. I am having the worst time with my 4th grade teachers this year. They won't accommodate and just think the ELs can't get it. I've turned into the biggest bitch but someone has to stand up for my kids. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @dkizz82 keep on fighting for those kids sister! I teach dyslexic students and have to have the same arguments sometimes. @AMCsquared my masters is in ESL and I sometimes have long, involved thought trains about language, acquisition, and sociolinguistics. If it paid anything more than peanuts I would have gone for my PhD and just stayed in academia studying linguistics. 

May Siggy Challenge: TV mom

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @dkizz82 good for u! We must be their advocates especially when they are a population that nearly no one stands by.  It sounds like you do pull out? I do full inclusion (we have 15 esl teachers at my school due to the large number of ells).

@lijuan09 it's so funny u say that bc if I didn't have to work and if it were free I would love to get my PhD in historical linguistics. Let's be language nerds together lol
  • Options
    dkizz82dkizz82 member
    @AMCsquared yes I do pull out and push in. I came from a school with 98% ESL students.  All teachers were EL certified.  Now my school only has 33 ELs and only 3 EL teacher. I am the "head EL teacher" (for lack of better words) and the gen teachers just aren't adapting well. Breaks my heart. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Wow what a change of schools!
  • Options
    dkizz82dkizz82 member
    @AMCsquared @dkizz82 @lijuan09 I'm enjoying your discussion a lot. I'm currently doing my phd in a linguistic-y area, and it's nice to have an understanding of some of the science of second language acquisition and bilingualism. DH and I don't share a first language, we communicate in English. So our future kids are going to be trilingual, since both of us want to share our L1 with the kids. I'm sure it will be a challenge, and I think that realistically, if we stay here the kids will end up being dominant in English, and being heritage speakers of our L1s. 
    I love this!!!!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @camomile_june love it!!! My belief is that if you and dh both speak your native language at home to your baby, he/she will obtain those languages and then acquire English in school. That's probably the biggest hope of having your L1s stick around bc you're totally right English winds up being the dominant.

I'm also so interested in different variations of how kids embrace/reject language. We will have to see!
  • Options
    @mjdsquared i totally understand what you are saying about feeling like "Atheist" has a bad connotation. i was an atheist myself for several years and i always found myself having to defend it and proving that i was a good person.  and also wow that's really nice and thoughtful that you guys had your FIL officiate.

@acgonzalez22 i love that your DS is bilingual!! my masters degree is linguistics related so i'm sort of obsessed with different options and discussions of raising bilingual kids and i love hearing everyone's experiences and ideas! my own feeling with raising my future kids bilingual is that i want the secondary language to be heavily fed when she/he is young because i know that english will eventually become the dominant language and i want them to have the opportunity to truly be bilingual. but i'll be honest, my mind is already playing with ideas of how i can expose the option of being tri-lingual.

@ohmickey331 oh no what was the reaction?  

@DLpanda08 yessss tamales!! that's wonderful you're exposing them to their culture. have u seen the animation "the book of life"? its about the day of the dead and its for kids! that'd be amazing to take them to mexico one day.  and ok thank you, i will def love to talk to u about adoption!

@b48kate you bring up a good point that being in an interracial marriage can bring difficulties especially in the beginning. i love hearing about the celebrations you've done! thats very interesting. does the 100 days after birth celebration have certain traditions that go along with it?

@eazybreezy225 very interesting! do you think your girls may feel swayed one way or the other toward being agnostic or pagan when they are older?
    It's possible that they might be!  Children are so impressionable, it's only natural for them to have bias or be swayed toward a religion or a religious concept that their parents or caregivers practice / believe. I can't remember who said it but I saw a quote that said something along the lines of "isn't it amazing how we are all the same religion as our parents, and it always happens to be the right and true religion "
    I think there's a lot of truth to that statement. (Obviously not EVERYONE is the same religion as their parents, but it is a huge commonality)
    That's why i feel it's very important to show and teach my kids to be open minded and understand that my path, while it is right for me, might not be the right path for them. 
  • Options
    def a good point! majority of people usually wind up being the religion their parent raises them in. it will be interesting to see how things pan out with the inter-faith babies and their families on this board!
  • Options
    Hey everyone.  I just wanted to add this link here. It's a selection of kids books involving multicultural families. I haven't checked them out in person yet but I definitely plan to.

https://www.whatdowedoallday.com/childrens-books-with-multiracial-families/

I just ordered some bilingual childrens books on amazon that are English and Urdu that I'm going to give to my MIL.
  • Options
    Hey thanks so much for that link @AMCsquared , ill check it out 

ugh i found out im moving. 8 hours south. im happy but also how does anyone move when pregnant