November 2016 Moms
Options

April venting/FFC/WTF

Re: April venting/FFC/WTF

• Options
    I have no idea why this is annoying me but it is so I need to get it out LOL. I'm on the page Human Milk for Human Babies for my area (it is peer to peer BM donation; some make requests for donor milk and others will post if they have some to share). Someone posted looking for milk and said "must eat organic Whole Foods diet".  Umm what? Usually you will see someone post saying dairy free or caffeine free due to issues their LO has but this just seemed more lifestyle choice than anything. I mean I get it, she can request whatever she wants and maybe she will find a donor that fits her needs but it just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.  
  • Options
    So for the last several days DS has gone from falling asleep completely independently (we read a story, I put him in his crib, sit next to the crib and sing a song or two, then leave and he talks and rolls around for a while until he falls asleep) to getting really anxious during nap/bedtime routine, trying every stall tactic in the book (hold me, sing one more song, sit one more minute, etc.), then crying hysterically when it's time for me to leave the room. I feel so bad because he seems genuinely upset, like he's terrified or something. He's not really verbal enough to explain it though, so I'm not sure why this is happening all of a sudden. When DH was home over the weekend he told DS he would sit next to his crib until he fell asleep, which worked and stopped the hysterics. However, now the problem is just getting worse, as he's been up twice tonight repeating the whole charade of screaming, crying, wanting me to go on there and stay in there. He's been up since about 4:30, I went in once and sat for a minute and explained to him that it's time to sleep, rest is really important, that Daddy and I are just down the hall, and that I can't sit with him because I need to sleep and rest too so I have energy to play with him tomorrow, then I left. He's been screaming for a good half hour. I feel bad, but also so freaking irritated. Everyone in the house is now up and in addition to being up with DD 2 times prior tonight, I've now gotten up for the day at 4 a.m. UGH!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kvruns that would annoy me too. Like You said... it's her choice. But she could have even left it a "organic diet." And left out the "whole foods" part... But either way it's a little annoying. After my first there was a girl I worked with who had her baby a few months before me.. when it came time for me to start solids she asked what I was giving her and I said Gerber and she went on this rant about how if I was going to "buy her food instead of make it" that I should use... earths best or something because "at least it was organic." I had been dealing with this stuck up hoity toity attitude for years at work before this and I finally just looked at her and said "Fuck. Off." So.. I get it haha.
  • Options
    @kvruns I work across the street from a Whole Foods so I ran in there to pick up some baby food. Obviously it's hippie, organic, BPA free, yada, yada, yada food because it's from Whole Paycheck. Literally, as I'm checking out, the girl who is scanning the baby food goes "I would never buy baby food, from here or anywhere else, because you don't know what's in it." I was like "Thanks for judging my parenting, random stranger. I clearly don't have enough time to make my baby food but thank you for taking my cash and guilting me about it." Even the cashier next to her looked embarrassed.
  • Options
    well I *did* by Earth's Best organic rice cereal for my LO.        Because it was on super clearance at Walmart LOL
  • Options

@leighry That is awesome lol.

• Options
    @kvruns your bitchy day is me every day haha
  • Options
    Literally, as I'm checking out, the girl who is scanning the baby food goes "I would never buy baby food, from here or anywhere else, because you don't know what's in it." I was like "Thanks for judging my parenting, random stranger. I clearly don't have enough time to make my baby food but thank you for taking my cash and guilting me about it." Even the cashier next to her looked embarrassed.
    Everyone who hasn't had a kid thinks they're going to make their own baby food and then it comes to it and you realize, "who the hell has time for that?".
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options

I have an FFC...is it bad that for the next kid I want to be selfish and not breastfeed in hopes that FF will help them sleep through the night?  Nights of 5-6 hours of broken up sleep is just not working.  I'm sure I'd BF if possible, but sometimes FF just seems so much easier.  Just not easier on the pockets.

• Options

I have an FFC...is it bad that for the next kid I want to be selfish and not breastfeed in hopes that FF will help them sleep through the night?  Nights of 5-6 hours of broken up sleep is just not working.  I'm sure I'd BF if possible, but sometimes FF just seems so much easier.  Just not easier on the pockets.

it is funny you say that because one of the reasons I've decided to hang on and keep BFing is because when he does wake up at night (which isn't always) or if he's having a big freak out I can nurse him if bouncing/soothing doesn't work.  If I was FF I would either have to keep trying to soothe or put him down, have him scream more, and make a bottle. Seems easier to just whip out the boob
  • Options
    @kvruns That is a good point. 
  • Options
    Regarding formula feeding, I've known moms who supplemented with formula in the evening to ensure their baby was "full" in the hopes it would help with sleep. The results were not really different. The babies still woke frequently during growth spurts and leaps and settled into longer stretches after those ended. I guess I'm just saying it may or may not make a difference with sleep to FF over BF. I also second that it's so much easier to whip out a boob at night.
  • Options
    When I dropped B off at daycare I went to take him out of the car seat and realized I hadn't ever strapped him in  :# thank goodness nothing happened
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    When I dropped B off at daycare I went to take him out of the car seat and realized I hadn't ever strapped him in  :# thank goodness nothing happened
    I did this once, she was strapped in but I forgot to tighten it.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    I have been up since 3 and will remain up until at least 10:30 tonight. But does DH respond to the monitor at all during the night? Of course not. And he clearly has no trouble with sleep as I am now reading texts he sent to me after midnight!

If he yawns this afternoon I swear I'm going to choke him out. 

I'm in this boat.  I've only been getting 5-6 hours of broken up sleep for quite some time now.  I'm up from 5 am until 9/10 pm basically every day and never get to take a nap.  Meanwhile, H is with S while I'm at work taking naps with her and gets to take them on the weekend before going to work while I have S.  Then complains he's tired.  He has no idea what tired is.
  • Options
    @kvruns I did that once too! Nobody is perfect ;) at least nothing bad happened 
  • Options
    Wtf to my name showing us as hoosiermama-2. I'm #1, dang it! Jk. But really, wtf? :|
  • Options
    @hoosiermama-2 I noticed that! So weird! 
  • Options
    Also, to add to all the other drama over here I'm suspecting tonight that I have oral thrush. WTF! TMI and awkward question but did this happen from the yeast infection I just had? Because ew! Also, how worried do I need to be about passing this to LO? And is this why we've been having so much trouble nursing the last couple days? WHY?!? My mouth hurts. :cry: I will feel so awful if little man has this too. 
  • Options
    @desoky01 I got oral thrush when I was pregnant. It came on the same time a yeast infection but I was also on a lot of medication since I just had my appendix out. It was horrible and gross and the medicine they give you for it is nasty. 
    I have no advice but I do sympathize! 
    I am pretty sure it's easily passed back and fourth and I would guess you should be proactive about getting baby on some meds too 
  • Options
    I messaged my doc. Hoping to get help tomorrow. How fast did the meds help? Did you do anything other than meds like diet change or probiotics? 
  • Options
    It's super contagious @desoky01 but the medications make a difference quickly. And it would definitely explain why nursing has been a battle. That means LO mouth hurts too. 
  • Options
    @desoky01 meds should start working pretty quickly! I didn't bother with a diet change becaue I knew mine was from medication. However I've been known to get a string of yeast infections from time to time. When I get like that I'll start increasing my probiotic intake. Usually through yogurt. 
    If I was in your situation because both you and LO have it I would get both on meds and start increasing probiotics. Probably for both of you. It'll help your bodies fight it off in case the other isn't quite over it. 
    You don't want to keep passing it back and forth for ever. I know that it's happened to some people really bad. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! Frustrating that my doc is out of the office today. Seems like she's never in or has no appointments when we really need her. Is this an urgent care type of thing? 
  • Options
    desoky01 said:
    Thanks for the info! Frustrating that my doc is out of the office today. Seems like she's never in or has no appointments when we really need her. Is this an urgent care type of thing? 
    You should be able to call your OB and have them call-in the cream for your nipples at least. Otherwise, maybe try an urgent care for LO. It's usually a quick look and a script. Good luck!
  • Options
    The good thing is that I don't see anything in his mouth, and I don't really have nipple pain. I'm hoping that means we've kept it at bay for now. My OB (well, she's family medicine) is the one who's out today unfortunately. And she's LO's doc too. I thought it'd be nice to have the same doc, but sometimes in things like this it's a bummer. 
  • Options
    desoky01 said:
    The good thing is that I don't see anything in his mouth, and I don't really have nipple pain. I'm hoping that means we've kept it at bay for now. My OB (well, she's family medicine) is the one who's out today unfortunately. And she's LO's doc too. I thought it'd be nice to have the same doc, but sometimes in things like this it's a bummer. 
    Is there another doctor at the practice that can see you today?
  • Options
    I will be seeing a different provider at a different clinic. Bummer, but nobody had anything open until Tuesday. My doctor was booked until May 12th! 
  • Options
    desoky01 said:
    I will be seeing a different provider at a different clinic. Bummer, but nobody had anything open until Tuesday. My doctor was booked until May 12th! 
    It's insane how overbooked doctors get! When I called the pediatrician this morning the nurse made it sound inconvenient that he was sick and told me to come late and expect to wait a long time. Thanks, lady. When has it NOT been a long wait. 
  • Options
    So the doc confirmed oral thrush. I didn't really like him much, he didn't seem very confident/I didn't feel like he knew what he was doing. Makes me wonder what he would have diagnosed if I had come in not saying "I think I have oral thrush." The pharmacist made me feel concerned when I went to pick up the prescription mouth wash. She asked if I had taken antibiotics or if I was on any inhaled steroids. When I said no she was very surprised. She asked if I knew how I got it. Um, nope? And then said she'd never seen it in an adult who wasn't taking inhaled steroids or who was on antibiotics. So I feel concerned now. Why did I get this? Anyway. Mouthwash thingy 4 times a day for 10 days. Yay! Good news is that she said a tiny bit would get through my breastmilk, which she said should keep LO from getting it. 
  • Options
    I help run an adult rec soccer league that goes through spring & summer. I obviously didn't get to play last year but am getting back on the field this year. Yesterday was my first outdoor pick-up (and playing in general) session in over a year... and OUUUCCCHh! I was already sore as I got back to my car... then had to come home, give LO a bath, and put her to bed. And of course, now as things are getting hectic, my awesome sleeper is no longer sleeping through the night this week and requiring a 1-2am feeding.

Fuqqqqqqqqqqq.. figuring out new routines for things that used to be so simple is... well, not simple! and exhausting.
  • Options
    My poor dog has been having diarrhea since yesterday. We had to put my other dog to sleep in February so now I'm super paranoid. My poor boy is already on a special food, has acid reflux. The vet gave me metronidazole and probiotics for his food (I gave him the first dose with dinner) and he had diarrhea immediately after. His anal glands were "extremely large" and had to be drained so I'm hoping that's what caused the diarrhea. Keeps your fingers crossed, please.
  • Options
    Well I just got a text from a mom who my kid had a play date with at one of those indoor play places. Her kid threw up violently for 6 hours last night and the dr confirmed it was norovirus. We are 30 hours past the play date, but it can show up 48 hours later. Ugh, and the mom held my 5 month old who had a bath later in the day yesterday. The mom isn't sick, yet. However it's so contagious. So freaked my 4 year old is going to get it. No no no!
  • Options
    camcbeth said:
    Well I just got a text from a mom who my kid had a play date with at one of those indoor play places. Her kid threw up violently for 6 hours last night and the dr confirmed it was norovirus. We are 30 hours past the play date, but it can show up 48 hours later. Ugh, and the mom held my 5 month old who had a bath later in the day yesterday. The mom isn't sick, yet. However it's so contagious. So freaked my 4 year old is going to get it. No no no!
    We have survived the norovirus with a 2 year old and 4 week old and previously with just one baby at 6 months. Rest in the knowledge that once it passes, you're done. You just have to make through those first 12 hours. FX you can dodge the bullet though!
  • Options
    On the topic of formula feeding, we have formula fed our twins pretty much from the beginning,  I can't say it helps them sleep longer really. I do get bouts of say 6 to 8 hours here and there,  but I also get the up every two hours or less wanting food. it's  a new thing I think on that often for feeding so I'm just hoping it's a growth spurt or something that goes away. Soon. Anyone had a child who just hates bathtime? I put one in and he's happy as can be, then I put the other one in and it's like her inner banshee cones to life.  I don't think she cares for water much. 
  • Options
    @RhodaMorgenstern my dog has a lot of anal gland issues. They have to be drained every couple of months. We have one ruptured anal sac which meant surgery. And we're still getting over his ruptured anal gland (which left 3 holes in his bum and meant 3 weeks of antibiotics and 2 of anti inflammatory). 
    Its scary when your dog is sick. My guess is after first dose it hasn't kicked in soon enough. Keep giving him his meds and I highly suggest getting the glands drained if they need to be (jax had diarrhea for a few days before his ruptured too - he was completely unable to control his bowels and kept pooping in our room in the middle of the night which is not like him at all). 
    Sending positive thoughts to your pup! 
  • Options
    @Ariylle mine hated bath time - screamed like crazy and I couldn't figure it out bc he was ok in swim class. Finally realized he was just COld being out of the water so now we bathe him together so we can better keep him in the water and with water splashing on him. I tried a wash cloth to help but it didn't. Making this change helped a ton. But if yours doesn't seem cold then idk but I feel for you 
  • Options
    @Ariylle I second what @kvruns said! Probably just cold!