August 2017 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Thread

Here comes the fun of chugging the sugary drink. Or maybe you already had your first and second test. 

Have any questions and/or concerns?  Wanting to share results?

***TW in Siggy***
Me: 34 / DH: 33
Married: Nov 2011
TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Gestational Diabetes Thread

• Good idea for a thread! I had GD my last pregnancy and I'm hoping to somehow avoid it this time but I think that is rare. They tested  me around 18 weeks and I was still in the clear but I'm going in again to test in two weeks. So far, I've just been watching my carb/ protein ratios and trying to be mindful of what I'm eating, and excercising more. If I can do anything to avoid it this time around I will try but I think your body will do what it will, regardless. Last time I had to go on Glyburide, which freaked me out, and I had to be induced they day before my due date because that was my doctors' protocol for GD that's drug controlled, which also freaked me out. But everything turned out absolutely fine. My girl was 8lb, vaginal birth, very healthy. So it's definitely a drag but not that terrible and at least it makes you eat healthier when all you want is cake! 
  • I have my test Friday. Anyone told to not eat a lot of carbs beforehand and more protein? Any suggestions on dinner and breakfast options before my test?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I failed my one hour test so they are gonna have me do the three hour. I already bought a glucometer and started testing today. I was high for my levels post meals. So I think I truly have GD again. I made a meal plan and grocery list tonight. 
  • NxyNxy member
    @Kathryn0903 with DD I was told to fast. This time I was told no carbs and eggs would be good for breakfast before I come in.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 mine's on Monday. I wasn't told to fast. Last time around I made sure not to eat sugary foods that morning. Not sure if it made a difference though (I did pass). I need to hold off on Easter candy Sunday and Monday  ;)

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Interesting! He told me I can eat breakfast as normal, but water only after the drink has been consumed until they draw the blood for the test. 
  • Mine's also a nonfasting test, but I'll make sure I don't eat anything too sugary that morning.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • bumpybump said:
    @Kathryn0903 mine's on Monday. I wasn't told to fast. Last time around I made sure not to eat sugary foods that morning. Not sure if it made a difference though (I did pass). I need to hold off on Easter candy Sunday and Monday  ;)
    Oh SHIT. Mine's Monday too. We have a huge brunch buffet planned with a bazillion dessert options. Do I literally have to avoid it?? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor told me at my next appt, which will be at 26 weeks, she will give me the order for it and tell me when to go.  So I'm assuming I'll be doing the test in a month and a half or so. I'm almost positive I'm going to have GD.  I've been insulin resistant in the past, and my doc told me there was a tiny tiny hint of glucose in my urine yesterday, but nothing she is concerned about yet until I do the test.
    Don't you have flavors to choose from? Which one is the most bearable??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Here's the information my office gave me. Obviously, check what the procedures are for your office. 

@DeansGirl14 I plan to eat at my Easter breakfast/brunch as normal on Sunday but then go easier on the sweets after. 

@NatSprat0703 I had the orange last time and it tasted like flat orange pop. It was fine. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• My doctor's instructions have differed from the lab's instructions in the past regarding fasting so I'd make sure you're following the lab's protocol for the 1 hour.  If you have sugar issues, no matter what you eat, it shouldn't affect the results.  Having a high carb dinner and breakfast beforehand certainly won't help your numbers through.

I'm dreading this.  The drink is so gross (I never drink sugary drinks) and my veins are terrible.  I failed the 1 hour with both pregnancies.  I had the same number both times and passed the 3 hour with my first pregnancy.  I ended up failing one of the blood draws with DS2 and was diagnosed with glucose intolerance.  Since I'm 5 years older this time and that supposedly increases your chances of GD, I assume I'll be taking both the 1 and 3 hour again and probably failing both.

If you're allowed to eat breakfast, eggs would be a good option.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't have choice of flavors.  It was just orange.

I was told to fast by my OB but from what I've heard, that doctor dependent.  I would definitely not eat a big carby brunch with dessert though.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Anyone have experience on not having GD with one pregnancy but having it in a subsequent pregnancy? I was borderline last time, fasting and all. My mom had it with all 4 of hers. I'm slightly worried I might have it this time around. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • I had to take a one hour at 12 weeks due to my previous LOs size at birth. I passed that one. I still have to do it again in a few weeks. Last time I was pregnant, I failed the one hour, and the 3 hour was torture. I literally laid in a bed and slept the whole time, because I was told if I puked, I had to redo it. 

My lab requires fasting. 

@NatSprat0703 My lab only offers lemon lime flavored. It tastes like flat sprite with a bit of a kick. Thankfully, its super cold. 
  • @aehogan90 not exactly what you're asking but my sister had it with her first pregnancy but not with the next three. Having GD the first time helped her learn how to eat better and she never got it again. It was a "blessing in disguise" for her.

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Scheduled mine today. I'll be 26+5.  I don't have to fast, she said a good protein breakfast like eggs would be good.  I'll drink the drink when I get there, then wait an hour for bloodwork. I failed the 1 hour at 135 last time, but passed the 3 hour. Praying I don't have to do the 3 hour this time. It sucked

• imwithbabyimwithbaby member
    edited April 2017
    That drink freaks me out! Thankfully my midwives offer the option of a) normal grape juice or b) a full meal. Each just has to have 50g of sugar (same amount as the glucola drink).

Personally I think this test is terrible since I'd never consume that much sugar in an hour, ever. My body is super sensitive to sugar so I get mad that I have to subject it to that! 

ETA I'm still going to do the test even though I hate the premise and can technically decline the test and just randomly check my blood sugar (everyone has the option to decline but most people just get it over with).

Here's a super informative post about the science behind the test, etc if you're interested! : https://evidencebasedbirth.com/gestational-diabetes-and-the-glucola-test/
  • Thanks for the additional info. I think I got one sheet of paper and filed it away from my last appointment. I'll have to dig it out. I'd hate to miss the dessert buffet. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @bumpybump thanks! I'm sure I'll be fine. Everything feels new this time around because I have a different doctor.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Mine is on Tuesday, I wasn't given any instructions on eating differently. Just told to drink my drink and tell the doctor when I come in what time would be exactly 1hr since I finished. My apt. is at 8:15am so they said I should finish before 7:45 so I don't have to sit and wait for the hour. I already have my orange drink in the fridge. 

Question: Did anyone who has had it before feel sick after? I planned to go to work, but I have heard a lot of people don't feel well later, so I was wondering if I should be working from home that day. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 I was ok after the 1 hour, but after the 3 hour, I was so thirsty, tired, and hungry. I made DH take me for a steak, then came home and passed out 
  • @smallbutmighty77 I was also fine after doing mine and went back to work after. However, everyone reacts differently. Another mom I know from a group threw up during hers :(. Also, my OB does my normal appointment during the hour wait time so that I only have to be there that total hour. So nice to not make me be there even more. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I had gestational diabetes with DS so had to take the test early this time.  I already failed my 1 and 3 hour so I have been monitoring my blood sugar for a few weeks.  I didn't fast for my one hour and the nurse at the 3 hour said that fasting before the 1 hour can prevent you from unnecessarily having to take the 3 hour.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How long is "fasting" usually if a doctor recommends it?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How long is "fasting" usually if a doctor recommends it?
    Typically defined as nothing after midnight the night before. Fasting appointments are usually scheduled for the morning hours. 

@smallbutmighty77 I always feel really nauseous after the glucose drink, but have managed to keep it down every time. 

My office only has the orange flavor. Kinda tastes like HiC. 
  • I was borderline the first time. I ate like normal and failed the one hour test by 3 points. Passed the 3 hours.  This time around, I plan to fast before my 1 hour to hopefully avoid failing. The sugary drink wasn't too awful... I only has the option of orange, and it was bearable. It did make me feel lightheaded after though bc it had so much sugar.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @smallbutmighty77 I also worked after mine. The 1 hour wasn't so bad, it was the 3 hour that really had me feeling sick. Once I ate something, I felt fine. Put a granola bar or something small in your purse to tide you over until you can get some real food. 
  • I unexpectedly had it the 1st time, but was very borderline and able to control with diet. At 18 weeks I failed the 1 hr and barely passed the 3 hr. One of my numbers was sky high. I'll take the 1 hr again in a couple weeks (which I've clearly never passed) OB said if I fail the 1 hr again she won't make me do the 3 and just send me to my endochronologist. Soo yea, here it comes! Its scary but I'm just thankful for a healthy baby! 
  • NxyNxy member
    @DeansGirl14 I had to fast from midnight with DD but my appointment was at 8 am. I think they said if my appointment had been for later in the day I could have had breakfast just nothing after.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @destdave2013
    I was very borderline my first time too.  It was easily diet controlled so I was a little surprised to be diagnosed to early.  So far it has been even easier to control then last time.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My office doesn't have the 1 hour as a choice. It's always a 2 hr/3 blood draws from the get go. And you have to fast before hand, I think 8 hrs. Nothing after midnight with a 8 am appt. You get blood drawn, and they test it right away. If you are in a normal range they have you drink the orange beverage, then an hr later draw blood again, then a third time 1 hr later. 

With my first pregnancy I threw up between the initial blood draw and the drink. Then threw up again immediately after the 2nd blood draw. My midwife took pity on me and said if my first two numbers looked good I wouldn't have to retake the test. Luckily they were great. 

This pregnancy my OB made me take the test early on because of my weight (never got rid of the first baby weight
  • Seriously hoping my office has more than just an orange flavor. Can't stand the flavor of orange so I know it'll be rough if that's what they give me. Any others take their test while still dealing with morning sickness? I still have morning sickness(not quite as bad), so I'm worried about throwing up especially since my appointment is in the morning.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I took mine at 12 weeks while having morning sickness.  I try to lay down while waiting, and I took sips of water.  When I was done, I decided to eat something I knew wouldn't make me nauseous. 
  • My place goes straight to 2 hour too. They said too many people fail the 1 hour but are fine at the 2 hour or something. 
    I don't really mind it. The drinks make me a little nauseous but I don't think they are that bad. I just bring my computer and work through it all. 
  • I had red last time. I hate juice and sugary drinks so a straw was my secret weapon to drinking it quickly while avoiding some of the taste. I hear it is better cold (thankfully mine was). But still wish I could just eat 3 doughnuts, not like I've ever done that. ;)
  • This time around I'm going to make sure I'm super hydrated because blood draws are even worse if you haven't had enough water. My veins are always hard to find. Plus my doc doesn't even do the one hour one, only a 2 hour one because so many ppl falsely fail just a one hour. 
  • @AbbeyH I like your train of thought.  I'd eat a bunch of doughnuts or other sweets any day over that awful drink.  I've taken the 1 hour and 3 hour with my other two kids and have only had the orange drink.  It's so gross, but I don't think I could tolerate any other flavor.  I have to hold my nose and chug it.  It's embarrassing, but I'd probably get sick any other way.  I'm not looking forward to probably taking both tests again this time.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If you are really worried about the drink you may be able to ask your doctor if you could do  jelly beans instead.  The nurses who did my blood draw said they were seeing it more and more.  It is about 30 jelly beans I think.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @SouthernMama15 that idea is amazing! Please bring a shot glass to the office and then post pictures for us because I am sure you will get some great looks! 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!