May 2017 Moms
Options

Hospital Bag

Re: Hospital Bag

• Options
    Now that we've been here 5 days I'm going to add some stuff that I never would've thought of since I packed for just a 2 day stay. Tissues, snacks, extra socks, walking shoes(been doing a ton of walking the halls and flip flops are hurting my feet) my blanket, and crafts/something to do. I wouldn't feel the need for any of this though if it were a normal 2 day stay with baby. This is just related to a long stay waiting for baby. 
    +1 andplusalso waterproof shoes for showers. And a towel, these tiny scratchy hospital ones are not cutting it. 
    The towels suck. I've been wearing my regular flip flops in the shower and letting them dry in the window so that's been ok. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe love your hospital bag setup! You are inspiring me to add some pretty touches to mine. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    livin541 said:
    @nda_roxybabe love your hospital bag setup! You are inspiring me to add some pretty touches to mine. :)
    The one I saw on Instragram was so pretty I was like okay, I need some glam! I still want to feel like me to some regard so pretty stuff if it is! I even got rose water face cleansing wipes to feel fancier than standard ole neutrogena.
    Love it! Is the robe good quality? I've been on robe overload a bit and already have a cheapy Target one I don't care much about and a floral maternity one from Pink Blush, but for some reason I feel like I need another.  And by need I mean want. 
  • Options
    livin541 said:
    livin541 said:
    The one I saw on Instragram was so pretty I was like okay, I need some glam! I still want to feel like me to some regard so pretty stuff if it is! I even got rose water face cleansing wipes to feel fancier than standard ole neutrogena.
    Love it! Is the robe good quality? I've been on robe overload a bit and already have a cheapy Target one I don't care much about and a floral maternity one from Pink Blush, but for some reason I feel like I need another.  And by need I mean want. 
    I think so! It's a nice silkyish feeling jersey material and it has loops to ensure it stays crossed over (to keep from exposing yourself). Length is good too. I'm super impressed!
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    Am I the only one that just doesn't feel the need to wear shoes in the hospital shower? I mean I've never been one to wear shoes in camp showers or anything either, I would also always prefer to be bare foot over anything. But what do you actually expect to pick up from the floor of a place traditionally used for cleaning?
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe ok, you convinced me. I'll have to check them out, thanks!

And @PartiallyDomesticated I don't do shower shoes either. I've never really saw the need, even in like the college dorms where I probably should have worn them. 
  • Options
    @livin541 glad I'm not the only one, I would probably consider it if I had an open wound on my foot or something, but I mean, we have skin for a reason. I do remember being barefoot for 90% of the time I was in hospital with DS I just feel steadier on my feet when I'm not wearing shoes
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 well that info provides a little perspective! Maybe I'll throw them in, couldn't hurt, right? ;)
  • Options
    I just thought to add prenatals! Are any of you ladies bringing your vitamins with? I didnt bring them with first go around and remembered I wished I had!  (Sorry in advance if this has already been mentioned) 

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• Options
    @ShadeofGreen816  I feel like I could avoid fungal infections by simply keeping my feet clean and dry too though.
    I am also in a different country and don't find the same issue with the cleaning staff (mainly because they're actually paid better than some of the nurses) so that could have a lot to do with my opinion.
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
  • Options
    @PartiallyDomesticated I don't disagree with you. I don't have a strong feeling either way. I would say shoes are like many of the other items - personal preference! 
    Not sure if I should be glad for the housekeeping staff or sad for the nurses in australia! What's that about?? While housekeepers are vital, it's certainly not a specialized skill like most would consider RNs (or if there is another name for the equivalent there)
  • Options
    I've been in the hospital for what feels like a million years now and if you saw my shower you'd bring shoes too. :-P it's not that it hasn't been cleaned, it's just obviously worn and older. 

@mrsfox2008 I brought all my typical vitamins and they had to get sent to the pharmacy to be entered into the system/labeling and the nurses dispense it daily. 
  • Options
    @MrsFox2008 - I am trying to remember if they brought around a vitamin for you anyway. If you've already done a hospital tour, a quick call would probably get you the info you need. I took my heartburn Rx with me last time, and it seemed like a HUGE hassle for them to get it approved through their pharmacy, have a Dr write an order for it, and then they had to keep up with it... I was just trying to not be charged for something I already had! 
  • Options
    @MrsFox2008 At my hospital, you bring your normal medication with you.  The nurse who admits you enters everything into your chart and then it's up to you to take your normal medication however you're supposed to do so.
    Feb 2012:  DS1 born 40w2d, 7 lb 11 oz, 20"
    May 2014:  DS2 born 40w3d, 10 lb, 23"

Due May 2017 with DD1!
  • Options
    starphish18starphish18 member
    edited April 2017
    FTM question...do you continue taking prenatals once you have the baby, or stop immediately?

ETA: I feel like I may have asked this ages ago, but I clearly forgot.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I didn't think about it being a hassle, I'll be sure to ask before I bring them with. 

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• Options
    @starphish18 it's recommended to continue to take a PNV while you're of childbearing age as well as while pregnant and breastfeeding. Folic acid should be taken daily 3 months prior to conception, so it's better to never get out of the habit unless you and/or your DH is permanently fixed. 
    Omg, so I'm supposed force down that horse pill until we're done with kids?? Ugh. Also, why did my primary doctor never mention taking folic acid 3 months prior to conception? She just told me once I stop the pill, start taking prenatals. This is all brand new information.
  • Options
    @starphish18 - Maybe you could find a gummy one that wouldn't be as objectionable. They usually don't have iron, so that would be one thing to keep in mind. 
  • Options
    I am glad I am not the only sans shower shoe person, but maybe I would feel differently if the shower was not part of the jetted tub in the suite bathroom. I mean I don't think a flip flop is doing much for me while laboring in the tub :D , so I doubt wearing it to shower later would make much of a difference. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @starphish18 I kept taking the same prenatals it while I was nursing DD along with fish oil gummies (DHA). Even the pediatrician would ask during the early checkups if I was still nursing and if so, if I was still taking the vitamins.

• Options
    I am glad I am not the only sans shower shoe person, but maybe I would feel differently if the shower was not part of the jetted tub in the suite bathroom. I mean I don't think a flip flop is doing much for me while laboring in the tub :D , so I doubt wearing it to shower later would make much of a difference. 
    I hate being barefoot anywhere but home, I wont touch a hotel carpet with my bare feet. However, the shower seems fine to me. I just leave my flip flops immediately outside to step straight into. At first I was like hell no on barefoot hospital shower, but yea I'm going to probably use the jetted tub, so...
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    @pshaortao: I remember my ped asked me that too!
    @emilyalso: +1 for gummy vitamins! It's all I take, for most everything. The VitaFusion prenatals are very similar to the makeup of other non-gummy brands.
    @hp_momma: That's awesome you'd be able to go home so soon after! Kinda jealous.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if continuing prenatals helps with hair loss after baby? Or it's just inevitable no matter what you do?
  • Options
    bacorrea said:
    SWE2 said:
    Does anyone know if continuing prenatals helps with hair loss after baby? Or it's just inevitable no matter what you do?
    Pretty much inevitable. That's why so many women get a "mom cut" that's the only thing I've found that helps. 
    Yepp. Keep up with your hair appointments post baby, the trims totally help with the hair loss. But otherwise it's inevitable and you'll be seriously amazed at the amounts of hair that you loose. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    +1 inevitable. Usually around 3-4 months after, some moms have it as bad to the point of small bald patches. I think the growing it out part is way worse though than the falling out. It can be so awkward!

I have been growing mine out for the last year and enjoying pregnancy hair one last time. I plan to cut it quite a bit shorter (maybe to the point of donating) once LO is maybe around 3 months old. Plus babies start to learn to reach out and grab around 3-4 months as well, so it should be perfect timing ;)

• Options
    This is bad news about hair... I've been enjoying how none of my hair is falling out right now!
  • Options
    This is bad news about hair... I've been enjoying how none of my hair is falling out right now!
    I actually hate that no hair is falling out right now for this exact reason. It seems to happen all at once at around 3 months pp and goes on forever.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    You mean my hair is going to thin out permanently?! How did I not know this?! I mean, it's totally not the end of the world but that really bums me out.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited April 2017
    You mean my hair is going to thin out permanently?! How did I not know this?! I mean, it's totally not the end of the world but that really bums me out.
    It'll be more like all the hair that your head has been retaining all these months will fall off all at once (more like over a few weeks). If extra hair falls off where people experience bald patches, it'll eventually grow back in. I always find tons of baby hairs all over a couple of months after the massive shedding happens.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    I'm a little worried about the hair! I have not noticed that my loss has slowed that much and my hair does not feel thick and luscious. It's dry and awful to deal with and seems to be growing absurdly slowly! I'm hoping that means my post-baby losses will be less...? I'm sure that's a pipe dream. Ugh. I plan to keep my hair long all summer at least so it's easy to throw up on top of my head in a bun. I wear a ponytail basically every day so I hate having short enough hair that needs to be styled all the time!
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 same here on the hair loss, it hasn't slowed down at all for me and my hair is dry and gross, or oily and gross, there is no middle ground! I'm hoping it won't come out on fistfuls this time but as you said, probably a pipe dream. I also wear my hair up in a pony tail and it's quite long, I think that may have a little to do with it, it may be more breakage than falling out? 
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
  • Options
    Ugh, I'd blocked out postpartum hair loss until now. It's so gross. If I could offer one bit of unsolicited advice for that time period - invest in something to help catch hair in your shower drain. You will certainly be grossed out by the amount that falls out!!!

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • Options
    I don't remember bringing my prenatal vitamins with me to the hospital the first time. It's something they can definitely order for you while at the hospital if they or you think of it (sometimes it's part of a standard order set for the MD to order upon labor admission), but I wouldn't fret about missing two days of prenatal vitamins if it's forgotten.

Speaking of postpartum hair, even the texture of my hair changed after my first birth. It was curlier before I had DD. Now it's more wavy than curly. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)