July 2017 Moms
Options

No one ever told me ...

1235»

Re: No one ever told me ...

• Options
    No one told me....

The lactation cookies don't really help lactation, but can help PP poops! My sis brought some to the hospital for me that were full of seeds/fiber. I the whole batch in 1-2 days (no idea that I would be so hungry!) And my poop just slid out. 

That you can't really walk around or use many of the traditional pain management methods if your water breaks first. 

The hospital may offer pain meds to take home!

How difficult the emotions can be after delivery.

Once you get past the fear, exhaustion, emotions, and weirdness of new roles, PP sex can be better than before! It took 9mo PP for me to get there though. 

How informed and validated that these boards can help you to be!! 
    My water broke before any other labor symptoms, and I had an epidural.
    Wondering about this too, @WeddingNotes13. In my experience any form of pain medication can be used even if your water breaks before labor starts and need induction because of that. The only thing that's limited is using the tub because the monitors don't go in there. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hope this thread isn't too scary for FTMs - there was a similar thread in June2015 and as a FTM I found it so helpful and was so glad I had a heads up on some of these experiences.  It somehow made it more manageable since mentally I wasn't caught up in the 'is this normal', 'must google now in the midst of chaos' loop etc.

Want to chime in as a FTM and say it's not too scary! A huge thank you to the moms who are posting in this thread.

It's important to know these things, as it's information that's not always passed along - for whatever reason. Then if these things do happen, people can feel freaked out, or isolated. As a FTM I'd personally rather read something ahead of time that's a little bit scary but might not actually happen - because then it feels like if it does happen I can think "it's not just me."
    This. 100%.  Sure, some stuff I've read on here have my eyes like a deer in headlights but for the most part it's just been extremely informative and has me feeling more prepared.  Not all of this stuff happens to everyone but just in case it does, I think all of the FTM's will be going, "Thank God for TB" in those moments.  I don't hold back. I asked my sister and my friends for all the details but there's some stuff on here (okay a lot) that they never told me.  They probably just didn't experience it which is why it's so important to talk to lots of different people. Information generally doesn't freak me out but rather puts me at ease.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    @caribbeanmama Wrong tag, though. I personally never tried lactation cookies...I'm one of the "milks like a cow" people.
  • Options
    @caribbeanmama Wrong tag, though. I personally never tried lactation cookies...I'm one of the "milks like a cow" people.
    Soweeee!!!  I fixed it now.  Lucky you!  That would be the superpower I wish I had!  Cups that floweth over!
  • Options
    Soweeee!!!  I fixed it now.  Lucky you!  That would be the superpower I wish I had!  Cups that floweth over!
    Yes, pumping was great. However...baby had a hard time latching early on from the too much milk, though, and I had to watch so I didn't get engorged. Grass is greener, right?
  • Options
    No one told me....

The lactation cookies don't really help lactation, but can help PP poops! My sis brought some to the hospital for me that were full of seeds/fiber. I the whole batch in 1-2 days (no idea that I would be so hungry!) And my poop just slid out. 

That you can't really walk around or use many of the traditional pain management methods if your water breaks first. 

Once you get past the fear, exhaustion, emotions, and weirdness of new roles, PP sex can be better than before! It took 9mo PP for me to get there though. 

Thanks for clarifying @chiquita928! I was not clear at all. I was intending to convey that I could not use many of the usual non-medication suggestions that involved getting out of bed, such as walking, dancing, the birthing ball, shower, etc. I was bleeding and leaking fluid everywhere, so I felt confined to the bed. Sorry to be so unclear! 
  • Options
    No one told me....

Wondering about this too, @WeddingNotes13. In my experience any form of pain medication can be used even if your water breaks before labor starts and need induction because of that. The only thing that's limited is using the tub because the monitors don't go in there. 
    Sorry, I was not clear. Check out my response to @chiquita928 and see if that better matches your experience! 
  • Options
    @nktrodden826 @caribbeanmama glad to hear the lactation cookies helped your supply! Did you find that one's with high oatmeal, flax, and chia seed combos also helped to alleviate bowel issues at all? 
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @WeddingNotes13 they worked for me so much so that it was scary. Mine were high in flax seed meal, oatmeal, and brewers yeast. I added a couple extra chocolate chips. But DH has alreasy said he will make a batch for me when we first get home.

https://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies-by-noel-trujillo-192346

Eta: for bowel issues of constipation I had   prunes daily (sometimes chocolate covered)
  • Options
    No one told me....

Thanks for clarifying @chiquita928! I was not clear at all. I was intending to convey that I could not use many of the usual non-medication suggestions that involved getting out of bed, such as walking, dancing, the birthing ball, shower, etc. I was bleeding and leaking fluid everywhere, so I felt confined to the bed. Sorry to be so unclear! 
    They had me walking the halls, and I was allowed to get up if I needed to. I never wanted to try the rest of that stuff, though, so not sure there. After they gave me the epidural, I finally got to sleep a little until GO time.
  • Options
    FTM here. I never knew how scared I would be being mostly asymptomatic. Morning sickness twice (Sweet cereal did it for me so just avoided it), minor heartburn before bed (chewing gum seems to work great for me), and a little dribbling when I cough which being sick is a lot lol. But there's been many days I've been worried something is wrong because I don't feel overly different than usual. Even stomach hasn't had a huge "pop" yet and gained roughly 13 pounds so far (3 in the last month so midwife is happy about that). I know a lot will change over the next few weeks, but at times its concerning not feeling like you're "feeling" more. 
  • Options
    Nobody ever told me you have to ASK for pain meds after birth. I was laying around in so much pain while family was visiting....after telling a nurse I was in horrible pain(I ripped and tore and had to be stitched up while DS had to have oxygen) she let me know they were waiting on me to say something. Then they had to get ahold of the doctor to fill the script or something so it was like 5 hours after birth I finally mention something. I was out of it, obviously, and patiently waiting for the nurses to give me some. Ugh. Then, the rest of my hospital stay I had to keep track of my meds schedule! If I was sleeping, or awake but feeding baby, they don't let you know. You still have to ring a nurse and say you need your meds. All they do is let you know "five hours from now". Ugh it was awful. Knowing this for next time, I will set alarms on my iPhone and know not to wait around. 
  • Options
    No one told me....

They had me walking the halls, and I was allowed to get up if I needed to. I never wanted to try the rest of that stuff, though, so not sure there. After they gave me the epidural, I finally got to sleep a little until GO time.
    Were you not leaking fluid? Did they let you wear a depend or something? Maybe I was not normal... I would have loved to be able to walk, but wouldn't have walked in my room much less the halls like that. 
  • Options
    @maybeitsmadeline I am having the dry skin issue too! All over except my face oddly enough.

nobody ever tells you that climbing a flight of stairs can feel like an accomplishment by week 24. 
    The stairs! Yes. As I plodded upstairs to my classroom this morning, I thought for the fifth time that I'll be using the elevator soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No one told me....

Were you not leaking fluid? Did they let you wear a depend or something? Maybe I was not normal... I would have loved to be able to walk, but wouldn't have walked in my room much less the halls like that. 
    Honestly, I don't really remember.  I feel like they probably had me wear a pad or something.  I was leaking fluid, but not gushing.
  • Options
    No one told me....

Honestly, I don't really remember.  I feel like they probably had me wear a pad or something.  I was leaking fluid, but not gushing.
    They normally give you those mesh panties and a pad once you check in. I've always been given them once I was admitted. 
  • Options
    Hi everyone! Love all of your comments. No one ever told me how much I'd leak! And I'm nervous about pooping during labor, the nurse told me everyone does it they just wipe it away and rarely tell Mom about it, ughh!
  • Options
    Oh and how can I forget, this last week at 26 weeks I've been feeling like someone's punched my vagina! Is this lightning crotch?