July 2017 Moms

Nurseries

Re: Nurseries

• I'm so superstitious I don't have much for the little one yet- although we just painted her room and got the wainscoting up so it looks exactly like this but filled with boxes since we just moved! We have our eye on a crib and dresser set but we'll probably wait until 30 weeks to buy, 36 weeks to set up! 
  • @kerils

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLY1M6A/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_ttl?ie=UTF8&colid=3QBQ57B1SIENU&coliid=IIIINPU204CW1&vs=1

I'm also using a Pack n Play in place of a crib until we move and have room for a nursery with a full size crib. I've read many reviews on this mattress and plan to purchase it for the Pack n Play for the meantime. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • @mamadcb Ikea!  It's only $249 and it's HUGE.  I'm talking maximum storage potential.

Edit to say - It doesn't take up a lot of room, but it has a lot of drawers and is a really good size.  I didn't want to scare you off from looking if it was a space issue.
    Make sure you get the drawer organizer kits for the dresser! They're the best for little baby things! 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    Iv decided pretty much everything, but I'm having a hard time finding organizers. I'm looking for shelves that could go on the inside over the closet doors. The closet is my husbands office so I was thinking of shelving on the inside doors. 
  • @maybeitsmadeline I think DH and I want to do a Totoro themed nursery.  Also, I love that dresser too.  I bought a white crib and have been looking for a big roomy dresser.  Too bad we don't have IKEAs in Hawaii.
    I love you both!!!! Totoro is AMAZING!! We randomly came across my neighbor Totoro as a child, and it's been a classic in our home. Can't wait to share it with my children.
  • @LoveLee85 DH and I are obsessed with Totoro. We even had Totoro things in our wedding. Our wedding table gifts were Totoro luggage tags.  We had little crocheted Totoros at the registration table.  I had little beachscapes in hurricane votive glasses with miniature Totoro figurines in them too.
  • chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited March 2017

We're doing this (without the lamp, mobile or hamper).  We have dark brown/black furniture, and we will paint the full walls a similar purple, just lighter.  The style is being discontinued, so its all purchased, and now we just need to get the queen guest bed to a new home.  Then we can paint, set up, and be done.

ETA: We also do not have a chandelier.
  • @chiquita928 aren't you a big purple fan? If so that nursery is perfect. :)

@irishrose54 the joy of living in an old house, right? 
  • @oheliza44 Yes, I shamelessly looove purple haha.  DH didn't even try to offer an opinion.
  • @kerils we also will be moving shortly after baby arrives, so we bought this portable bassinet thing to use for the first little bit. Hopefully baby doesn't grow out of it too quickly! Your pack n play idea is a good backup! 

All we know so far for the eventual nursery is lots of grey and white until we find out the sex at birth, and lots of nature/animal art! 
  • @LoveLee85 DH and I are obsessed with Totoro. We even had Totoro things in our wedding. Our wedding table gifts were Totoro luggage tags.  We had little crocheted Totoros at the registration table.  I had little beachscapes in hurricane votive glasses with miniature Totoro figurines in them too.
    @Twinkiedoll you and your husband are my hero, and I'm so jealous!!!! LOL 
  • clioclio member
    Wow, this thread is providing some major inspiration, not to mention motivation given that I have not done a single thing to the baby's room yet! For the first couple of months we are keeping the nursery set up like our current guest room and just hauling in a bassinet. I plan on sleeping with baby throughout the night while DH will take over in the early morning- sleeping separately during the newborn phase helps us both to keep our sanity. Hopefully I can still add some cuteness to the room for the time being.
  • @Twinkiedoll That is awesome!  I was sure I'd be the only one with something less common.  I always have an uncomfortable pause when people ask my nursery theme because odds are good that they have zero idea what it is.  Doesn't change my mind though.  One friend said, "No pink AT ALL?"   :|

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maybeitsmadeline At first, I was like what is Studio Ghibli - then you listed the movies and I love those! DH is a big fan and would have known it by name. I just fail at remembering character names & movie titles. Should be super cute for a theme!
  • You guys, I am feeling SO LAZY!
    I was just looking around the future baby's room and thinking "Oh man, painting is SO MUCH WORK! This color isn't so bad, and I would want to paint it back if we sell the house..."

Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
    I was just looking around the future baby's room and thinking "Oh man, painting is SO MUCH WORK! This color isn't so bad, and I would want to paint it back if we sell the house..."

Yea I don't think we are painting. Our house was new when we bought it so it doesn't need painted. And the color is neutral so there's really no point. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

I hat painting.  If I didn't have people offering to do it for me, I might not paint either.
  • Love seeing all these nursery ideas! We won't be changing our current nursery very much as my DD is currently in it (18 mos). We are focusing on renovating her new "big girl" bedroom and bathroom. We were team green last time, so the nursery will be able to go back to gender neutral fairly quickly. The walls of the nursery have three walls that are very large, alternating, vertical stripes that are light beige and dark beige. Above her crib is a large giraffe and elephant hanging on the wall and her initial. We got her dresser, crib, book shelf and side table from Restoration Hardware. That will all stay in the nursery. The only thing I will change out is the rocker (ours is the most uncomfortable thing ever). The decor is neutral jungle so that stuff will stay on the walls, although the giant stuffed giraffe, elephant and lion may have to go with my DD as she believes they are hers now. Enjoy setting up the nurseries, ladies. It's so fun picking stuff out!
  • CPR79CPR79 member
    You guys, I am feeling SO LAZY!

I had that thought the other day.  The room is currently a purple-gray.  We're not finding out the sex and I think it's a little feminine so I wanted to paint, but just to a more neutral gray.  I got a bunch of paint samples, taped them up on the wall and thought "these really don't look that different, do we really have to paint?"
  • In case anyone is doing a Dr. Seuss nursery theme, Target.com is having a sale on a bunch of Dr. Seuss sheets, diaper caddies, etc.  I assume this is in stores as well.
  • @Rae1 Um then I'm twice as silly because seeing this makes me so ZEN.  We have a small 2 bedroom townhome (just over 1200 sqft) and our main storage closet is in the nursery so we really can't do anything this amazing.  Most of her clothes will be in a dresser and I'm playing with the idea of exposed hanging clothes if the look is clean enough for my liking, but your post makes me so happy and jealous at the same time.

Image result for exposed baby clothes hanging

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Rae1 I love this it looks so good!!

I'm trying to convince DH to let me do this with our sons new closet! We did this with my sons closet in our old house and I was never able to keep it organized- had to go in once a month or so and put stuff where it belonged! It's so gorgeous when it's organized! 
  • @acstec1 We have a similar plan and got our crib/bookshelf etc from RH too.  Our toddler is 20 months old so a little older than yours.  I read somewhere to leave the crib empty for 2 months to disassociate attachment to it as 'his' but am still torn about whether or not to buy another crib that converts to a toddler bed.  (Any experienced moms know if this is a thing?)  Are you going straight to the toddler bed or getting another crib?  Since the current crib coordinates with all the pieces in the nursery, we were thinking the new crib could then go with whatever theme/design we decided for his room.  The nursery is pretty neutral - mint, grey, vintage white and a chalkboard wall in navy blue.

I feel a little bad planning a toddler room instead of a nursery but everything is all in place there already!  I'm just trying to get my husband on board for a cute little chandelier and different art work - I scoured Etsy the first time around and found pieces that I loved, so I will likely do the same again.  Since we are getting an au pair in a couple months - room accessories are pretty low on the budget priority list womp womp so will just have to see.
  • chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited March 2017
    @rae1 I love it!  I struggle with closet organization, especially with the stupid space to each side of the doors.  I may be stealing this!

ETA:  Where is it from?
  • @nktrodden826 yea it took some convincing for DH to agree to it. I had to convince him it was good for resale because it made it look like a custom closet (it just had a wire rack before). lol. I also did some reverse psych on him and originally sent him systems that were super expensive so that when I sent him this one, it seemed like a no brainer haha

@chiquita928 it's from Home Depot. It's the closetmaid impressions line. This one seemed like the best starting point because we can always add on to it (can add drawers to the bottom and shelves above the clothes rods). I will probably do both of these eventually, just trying to spread the cost out and get a feel for what storage is most needed. I was initially worried I was taking away too much hanging space since the shelves are kind of wide. But now that it's in there, it seems perfect. And we can always add a second rod on the left side. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Rae1 I LOVE the closet! It looks a lot like what my husband did for our DS's room (only better, ha!). I love having the top/bottom hanging racks on one side and the shelf space is so practical for shoes, blankets, extra sheets, baby carriers, etc. We have too many clothes but you can see we put those bars to good use!
  • @caribbeanmama Your nursery sounds beautiful! Love the idea of a chandelier!  I read the same thing about leaving the crib to sit on its own so the child disassociates it. We are just going to covert her straight into a bed. She has already climbed out of her crib several times (although not every night) and i am just worried she is going to hurt herself one night. I also need to get some new nursery decor, but I'll probably wait till baby is born as we are team green. 
    I just recently saw someone who painted a whole nursery accent wall with a huge Totoro overlooking the crib, and I can't find it for the life of me. I thought maybe it was the June 2017 nursery board, but I can't seem to find it there but I really wanted to post a link to it because it was so cute! 
  • @CapricaAndrea Did they paint it or use a wall decal?  We have a wall decal that sounds exactly like that that we ordered.  It's so cute!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maybeitsmadeline Where did you order the decal from? 

@Rae1 I love that closet.  I just showed it to DH and told him: "I want this.  Can you make this happen?"
  • @Twinkiedoll ETSY!!! I got several of them for several different characters.  I was originally going to paint, but we want to move when LO is around 8 months old, so I didn't want to have to worry about painting back.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/130000404/totoro-inspired-totoro-head-wall-art?ref=shop_home_active_11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CapricaAndrea Did they paint it or use a wall decal?  We have a wall decal that sounds exactly like that that we ordered.  It's so cute!
    She painted it herself, which is why it was so impressive! 
  • @maybeitsmadeline OMG.  DH's jaw just dropped on the floor.  We are going to get like.... all of these.  haha.  Thank you so much.  These are perfect.
  • @maybeitsmadeline

I think we are also going to get these as part of the Totoro theme
    https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Lova-Canopy-Green-Leaf/dp/B001QSAAOQ

• @Twinkiedoll YES!  This is on our list too!  We need to keep in touch if we find anything else because there's so many things out there, but you just have to google the heck out of it!  So excited!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited March 2017
    Everyone's nurseries are looking so cute! LO room will have painted walls several letter "M"'s in different materials (wood, metal) and our chosen bedroom set. We are team green and I will be completing the rooms decor after baby is born. I have an idea for what I want for a boy, forest theme and little forest creatures or a girl, floral with mostly poppies. I'm leaning towards red poppies. The furniture is already picked out we just have to order it come May. 

Edited es to add that I still haven't chosen a wall color. I really love sage but DH isn't sold on it. He wants a neutral grey tone. 
  • @Rae1 That closet looks AMAZING. I'm definitely jealous.

@Poppyseed72017 Both ideas are really cute! I really like the furniture you've picked.