May 2017 Moms

Randoms and Questions 3.13 - 3.17

Re: Randoms and Questions 3.13 - 3.17

• Loading the player...
  • @livin541 You could call the manufacturer of the car seat and ask. They would give you a much clearer answer on what to do.

• @kns1988 @MTB16 Memorial Day weekend is 2 WEEKS after my due date and I have 2 weddings to go to (luckily both in town), and for one of them I'm a bridesmaid and my husband is a groomsman! It never even occurred to me that our literal newborn wouldn't be included, but the discussion here is definitely going to inspire me to confirm with the brides and grooms! 

I have a baby shower etiquette question: my baby shower is Saturday, and because my Amazon registry was distributed ahead of time I've already been receiving gifts shipped directly to me. It's more of a co-ed evening cocktail party type thing and I won't be opening gifts there, and the idea is that gifts are very optional. Should I or should I not bring a stack of thank you cards to give those gift-givers? It's weird right it feels weird to me? I should just mail them afterwards? (It's just tempting to get some of them out of the way before things get too crazy, ha.)
  • @nda_roxybabe I love my yoga ball, even now!! Most comfortable for me.

@pshaortao Yes! The Sprouts is actually right down the street from me. I plan to do lots of shopping there.

Thanks for all the underwear/padsicle suggestions!
  • @SKZW I'd clarify what the rationale is for you to get the shot. I see one of the downsides being the risk of hypoglycemia in the newborn after delivery (shot may make your blood sugar briefly higher, exposing baby to an environment that won't be sustained outside the womb - their normal compensation for the higher sugar will drive down their glucose level once they are delivered). 

I received two two rounds of steroids, one that started right at admission at 28w5d when the umbilical artery flow was found to be reversed for the first time and no one knew if delivery was going to be necessary in the next 7 days. My 2nd round was 1 week prior to my goal delivery date of 32w1d. 

Downsides for mama (my experience): it's a shot in the butt that stings, and I feel like I had trouble sleeping for the next 1-2 nights. Benefits? It probably got both babies a little more ready to be earthside so early, though my bigger twin still needed intubation and surfactant in the first 24 hours. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• RE: for flow/underware after baby. Last time I just used the heavy flow always pads. I also didn't use the "padcicles"... just some tucks pads for maybe 3 days and the peri bottle filled with water until stitches healed.  I bought old underware just in case, but honestly I never had any issues. 
    I don't remember any issues with DS but that was 10 years ago.. 

I did buy a 5 pack of Fruit of the Loom, breathable granny panties from Amazon. Those will be my postpartum undies. I ordered a size up for comfort. 
  • bacorreabacorrea member
    edited March 2017
    @livin541 ugh sorry about the mold! We stored all of our stuff while DH was deployed and came back to it being molded. I was beyond pissed. We had renters insurance though. Like someone said if there was a leak in the roof the storage facitility may be liable. I fought for money (I was told it was covered and then they couldn't figure it where the water came from, it was crazy) and I ended up getting 2 grand. Which worked for me because most of our furniture was Craigslist finds.
  •  I have so many randoms this week. What do you all plan to do about smokers in your family and baby? My inlaws are all extreme chain smokers. 

Do you plan to let them hold baby, just wash hands first, not let them? DH and I are NOT on the same page about this. He says he will not allow me to withhold baby from his mom because she smokes, but I am concerned about smoke on her skin and clothes irritating baby. 
  • @SKZW , sorry for the delayed reply! I did not have steroid shots with DS, who was born with an unplanned induction at 37 weeks (basically had 36 hours notice before the induction). I was told that at 37 weeks, the baby was considered full term and likely did not need any steroid shots. He had no NICU time, a little bit of jaundice, and issues with BF, but none of those things would have been addressed by the steroid shot.

With this pregnancy, I'm being induced at 36 weeks, which is considered 1 week shy of full term and will likely include steroid shots. They are monitoring the baby's development and will be doing an ultrasound 6 days before my scheduled induction to make the final call on the steroid shots. I was told, much like your research, that the steroid shots are most effective 1-7 days before delivery. I'm not sure if there are different types of shots and I'm sure your doctors are more up to date on this stuff than I am, but it seems to me based on what I know that they would only do them this early if they were worried about the baby coming BEFORE 38 weeks. Hopefully your doctor can help clarify their reasoning for you! 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Holy moly I just sat down and finally read this thread (forgive me for not tagging)

DST SUCKS!

Mold all over the car seat, I'd probably replace it, I would be scared spores could get where they couldn't be seen.

I had my gallbladder removed right after the twins turned 1.

I had the steroid shot last time at 32 weeks and delivered at 34, I swear the shot kept them off of CPAP, but at 38 weeks I don't know if it would really be needed.

I wore depends during my last pregnancy (I would randomly pee on my myself, gross I know) and never thought to wear them post partum then, I probably will do that this time.

I know I am forgetting a ton since this thread is 7 pages long, please forgive me for being unsupportive if I forgot someone.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I had a growth scan yesterday at 30+4 weeks and they said little man is an estimated 4lbs 11oz, that is what DD weighed when she was released from NICU (born at 34+0, released 20 days later!).  I feel like this kid is going to be a monster. He is also breech so I feel like I am getting more and more ok with a RCS, also nothing like finding out that your hospital preforms the 4th most csections to make you start to push the VBAC idea farther away.

Non baby randoms from me

We went to to rodeo yesterday and I am paying for it today, good lord I can hardly walk. What was I thinking.

I am meeting with DS's case manager today to discuss his speech therapy situation, our ECI ST quit and he is again without services. We are waiting for the official ASD diagnosis next month which would guarantee more services, but since his speech is only listed as a developmental delay they are just required to provide services, but not a specific frequency or duration.  On one of his tests last week, his language was also placed at a 10.5 month olds and he is 26 months, so the delay is significant enough DH and I are wanting to also look into private speech therapy.  

During today's appointment he is also getting an OT evaluation so hopefully he will qualify.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• @Kipperoo
    I am daydreaming about maternity leave! I haven't taken a week off work for 7 years. My boss is being really cool and insisting that I take the full 6-8weeks as she wants me coming back refreshed and rested. I can't wait to do stuff around the house, take the kids to the park and on walks... My leave will be The month of May to mid- June, so great summer weather!
  • @fbmandy55 out of curiosity what do you do again? You say "the full 6-8 Weeks" like a luxury when in reality most docs won't even clear you to return to work before that. I think of a "full" (American) maternity leave to be 12 weeks - the max FMLA covers
  • @livin541 That sucks! Unfortunately harsh cleaners are not considered okay to clean the car seat with and when it's mold you're supposed to toss the whole thing :( Contact the manufacturer and double check, but that is what I always see in manuals and what not.

@BeachMommy2B Ooh! Could I use this with Spectra S2?
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • fbmandy55fbmandy55 member
    edited March 2017
    @fbmandy55 out of curiosity what do you do again? You say "the full 6-8 Weeks" like a luxury when in reality most docs won't even clear you to return to work before that. I think of a "full" (American) maternity leave to be 12 weeks - the max FMLA covers
    I work in real estate. I don't qualify for FMLA because my company only has 2 full-time employees. I say "full" because that is what my employer has offered to me with pay when they don't have to offer any paid time off for maternity. 

It's definitely a luxury to me, as with my first, I had to return to work after 2 weeks off and 1 week of half-days. I had a vaginal delivery so my doctor cleared me and I could only afford to take off what I had available in PTO. My company didn't offer any maternity leave.  
  • @kayemjay2, how weird!! I have no idea where that could have come from! 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• I wanted to throw this here in case anyone else had this on their list to buy. The Medela storage solutions kit is currently 52% off (less that $20) at amazon. I bought one last night. 

Thank you! 
    @nda_roxybabe you can definitely use them as storage. I don't know if your pumping piece will be able to screw on to the bottles. 
  • Thanks so much everyone for the advice on the mold issue. Not something I would normally cry about, but pregnancy made this more upsetting than it normally would be. I read through the agreement with them, and of course it releases them of any liability for property damage, even explicitly stating fungus. Ugh!

We have home owners insurance, but I don't think it's covered. I honestly never thought about a separate renters policy since I knew we'd only be in there for 6 months or so. My parents are our insurance agents though, so I'm going to have them research and see if there's anything that can be done.

@bacorrea did you end up getting the storage place to pay you those damages, or was it through insurance? 

Thanks again guys :)
  • @livin541 Sometimes your homeowners policy covers items in storage or in transit when moving. I know our policy covers items while moving, but we have always got a second policy if we had things in storage. I would definitely check to see if it's covered! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • My parents homeowners policy covers stuff in storage, as well as my siblings stuff in their college dorm. Definitely look into it! My insurance paid for the damage.

Although I have to warn you, don't start throwing stuff out just yet. I obviously you aren't going to use some things, but if your homeowners policy will cover it they will want pictures. Also my insurance company wanted to send a cleaner out and they didn't tell me until I had thrown stuff out. It was a nightmare, like I said. I eventually got 2grand out of them because the insurance agent misinformed me when I called right away. @livin541
  • @fbmandy55 I have one sister who's a smoker. We aren't super close, so I see her once or twice a year. We tell her that she has to have showered before she comes over to my parent's house (we don't go to her, and we're lucky she's in the same town as my parents.) She has to have clean clothes on, and if her clothes smell like smoke she has to borrow a jacket or something similar to cover her clothes before she can hold baby. My parents have a no smoking at their house rule anyway, so we didn't have to add that in. She (who thinks that many things are quite unreasonable!!) does not think that this is at all unreasonable.  
     I feel like asking MIL to buy a jacket to stay smoke free and wear over her other clothes is not unreasonable.  Your husband has to realize that your child's NEEDS (health) come before your MIL's conveniences/ wants. 
  • Sigh, we're back to the great stroller debate in our house and IDK why, but it stresses me out! My stroller is on sale, H got the new job, we're good. Except he's all like, are you really going to use it? Do you really need an expensive stroller? I just don't see us using it a lot!
    Truth is, IDK how much we will use it? I am hoping to get out of the house more with a baby and do things like splash pads, play dates, children's museum, shopping, etc. but who knows if that will happen? I just want that stroller and I don't want a "cheap" one because I'm a brat.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • My random- I'm super frustrated!  I finally decided to try to get a couple of more things done for baby (I've been so focused on younger daughter and therapy and such lately, that I've really been slacking on preparing for this baby!) 
    I went online to preregister at the hospital. About half an hour of searching their website later, and it looks like there is no online option any more. I have to print a form and mail it to the hospital. I mean, not the end of the world, but argh! 
    Then contacted insurance about which breast pumps that they cover. Oh, they don't fully cover any. They'll give me a 20$ reimbursement for a manual pump, nothing for an electric. So, now we have to pay for that, as mine is now quite old and doesn't function well any more after two kids. Sigh. Again, not the end of the world, we are lucky that we can afford it, but argh!!! 
  • Sigh, we're back to the great stroller debate in our house and IDK why, but it stresses me out! My stroller is on sale, H got the new job, we're good. Except he's all like, are you really going to use it? Do you really need an expensive stroller? I just don't see us using it a lot!
    Truth is, IDK how much we will use it? I am hoping to get out of the house more with a baby and do things like splash pads, play dates, children's museum, shopping, etc. but who knows if that will happen? I just want that stroller and I don't want a "cheap" one because I'm a brat.
    Walks are super beneficial to your Heath and baby's development, soooooo I think you should totally get the stroller. We use ours ALL THE TIME! 
  • @nda_roxybabe I know there are things you can get for the spectra flanges and top to attach to the medela bottles or any smaller mouth bottles. but without the thread changer the bottles don't fit the spectra.
    If you aren't going to use bottles like that then I would probably stick with what fits the spectra and just transfer to storage bags at nights.

Here's the one i've seen
    https://www.amazon.com/Maymom-Changer-Spectra-Flanges-Bottles/dp/B01A4LUZA4?th=1

April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• @nda_roxybabe I know there are things you can get for the spectra flanges and top to attach to the medela bottles or any smaller mouth bottles. but without the thread changer the bottles don't fit the spectra.
    If you aren't going to use bottles like that then I would probably stick with what fits the spectra and just transfer to storage bags at nights.

Here's the one i've seen
    https://www.amazon.com/Maymom-Changer-Spectra-Flanges-Bottles/dp/B01A4LUZA4?th=1

I bought these so I could also use the Medela accessories with the Spectra.  I have way too many pump parts not to use them all lol.

Maymom Flange Adapter for Spectra S1 Pumps, Spectra S2, Spectra 9 Pump to Use Medela Breastshield and Bottles; Connects Between Maymom Breastshield and Spectra Backflow Protector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DGEDVUM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vcSYybM1KF0M5

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• @chickyclg i'd like to know how well those adapters work. Do you know anyone that's used them? I have a PISA but haven't ordered my free through insurance yet. I can either get another PISA or the Spectra, but I don't want to have a ton of different types of pump parts so that would be helpful if it didn't mess up the suction.
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• @beachmommy2b I'm still waiting on my Spectra to come in but it's a good fit on the Medela end.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• @WombThereItIs Love that answer! We both like investing in quality things. I'm going to feel guilty if it doesn't get used often, but.... :S 
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry