May 2017 Moms

Randoms and Questions 3.13 - 3.17

What's happening this week? :D

Re: Randoms and Questions 3.13 - 3.17

• I hate this time change. It's so dark when I get up and I didn't sleep well at all last night! Ugh first day back after spring break is going to be rough! They really need to time this better. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm worried about the impending snow storm headed for the East Coast - Hopefully, it won't be as bad as they say it will be but my area is slated for 16 inches :(
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Oh, one thing I forgot. I asked about this in the gear recommendation thread, but I wanted to ask here to see if I could get a couple more opinions. (Thanks to @hp_momma for already replying.) So with diapers.com 25% off deal through today (plus an extra 10% off for new customers), I can get the Graco 4ever car seat I want to use after the infant seat for $200 instead of the full-priced $300. I think the cheapest I've personally ever seen it on sale is around $219. Does anyone know if there are yearly sales where I'd be able to get it cheaper than $200? Also, does it make sense to get it now as a second car seat or wait until we need it for the longer warranty coverage?
  • I'm sorry about bedrest @SKZW.  I agree with your husband that your mom wouldn't be there unless she wanted to, but I totally understand how hard it is to let other people take over and do things for you.  You are completely right that you're doing what's best for the baby and that is no small thing!

@ShadeofGreen816 good luck with the daycare today!  I hope it goes well and you like them!

Sorry you might get stuck @Jens_Hoes.  Hopefully they can get you a flight home soon.

@BeachMommy2B that is really funny.  DS hasn't done anything like that yet but I'm sure the day is coming.  
  • @starphish18 I don't think i've ever seen them that low. I haven't been really watching for them, but just as I've been in the stores over the past couple years I don't remember ever seeing them below like $275ish.
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• @lildropofheavn23 Sorry for the impending now storm. We got a dusting with ice here and I am straight up pissed about it. I hate march!

*To many to tag* Agreed that DST is the worst and completely useless. I also was the recipient of a lecture from DH on the history of DST this morning during our commute to work and wherever he was pulling this info from convinced him that farmers have always been against it, so there is that. Either way it sucks especially with a consistent a toddler!

@BeachMommy2B that F-bomb story is hilarious! So hard not to laugh. 

@SKZW So sorry about your bedrest and thank goodness for a helpful momma!

@Jens_Hoes Hope you are able to get home to your pup!

I am grouchy and tired this morning after a very busy weekend. Hoping this caffeine kicks in soon and I feel more human and less curmudgeon. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @starphish18: I think $200 sounds like a great deal. I'd jump on it! Can you use that as a newborn car seat also?
  • @SKZW Yes, that one converts and can be used right away for a newborn. So, theoretically, we could use it in H's car. However, we wouldn't really -need- to. It'd be just as easy to make sure whoever has the kid has the car with the seat in it. Part of me wants to jump on the good deal, but @WombThereItIs also makes some good points. And if Amazon has similar black friday deals to last year, I could probably get it for a similar price in November. Hmph
  • Ugh, now I am truly not a happy camper. I was given the glucose drink and was told to tell the tech when I was done drinking it. Turns out I was supposed to have my blood drawn first. Having never done this before I didn't know. I was just doing what I was told. So now I'm headed home and annoyed that I have to come back again.  :(

@Jens_Hoes you'll be in my neck of the woods. Hoping they're exaggerating the amount of snow we're supposed to get and you're able to get home on schedule. 
  • edited March 2017
    @starphish18 I second what @WombThereItIs said about waiting. DS was in the 90 percentile and we switch over at about 10 or 11 months, but had stopped taking the bucket seat out far earlier. You will see that the switch is coming soon and would be able to deal hunt the months leading up to that. I will probably hold off until black friday (or later) to buy a convertible for this baby. At that point also you could actually try the chair out with your child in it to verify that you like the way it fits. 

edit: typing is hard
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @LilMissCrafty Oh no! I'm so sorry, that sucks. :(
  • @SKZW I'm sorry about the bed rest. How far along are you? 

@LilMissCrafty I'd be super pissed about that! When will you go back?
  • @lilmisscrafty, that sucks.  I'd be pissed.  
  • @LilMissCraftyI'd be livid!! That drink made me so sick, I don't think I could do it twice! I feel for you! :(
  • I asked in Friday ticker change, but I'm hoping some of you may have experience with gall bladder issues and can chime in. On Thursday, I mentioned to my OB that I having a consistent, dull pain in my upper right abdomen (right under my bra). I just assumed it was a normal and pregnancy related, but I don't recall having this during my first pregnancy.  She mentioned it could be my gall bladder or my organs pushing together due to lack of space combined with my rib cage stretching out a bit. Since my appointment, I've paid a more attention and it seems to be worse after eating.  I plan to ask OB about it again and I may actually contact them before my next appointment.  However, I'm curious if any of you have had gall bladder isssues, if so what were the symptoms, whether you could control discomfort through diet, and did it ultimately have to be removed.  I'm trying not to be a hypochondriac, but I'm really starting to think it is something more than pregnancy symptoms.  
  • @clebl24 I haven't had issues with gallbladder so I am not much help as far as symptoms. however, to me it seems like its worth the extra call before your next appt.
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• @clebl24 No experience with gallbladder issues, but from what I understand pregnancy can increase your risk of gallbladder issues so if it was me I'd contact your OB to see what they want you to do! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • @clebl24 I had gall bladder issues after DS1 was born. In my case they recommended removing the gall bladder, but the doctor was so rude I planned to get a second opinion. I know this is horrible advice, but the pain ended up going away and I've never had the gall bladder removed. Nor did the pain ever return.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• @LilMissCrafty, I only had to get one blood draw. It was after the drink. Was your protocol different based on your doctor? 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• @clebl24 Sorry you're dealing with that discomfort. I'd try following a "gallbladder" diet and see if it helps. You could also ask her to add on a blood test to see if your levels are off, which could indicate a gallbladder issue.
  • Yiggle09Yiggle09 member
    edited March 2017
    @clebl24 gallbladder removal is the number one reason for emergency surgery in pregnancy. As our estrogen spikes it affects our cholesterol which then affects our gallbladder. I had pain during my first pregnancy just below and right of my sternum under the r ribs. It also was in my back at exact level. I thought it was just growing pains back pain from pregnancy. 9 months post partum about 2 months after I stopped bf I started to get a burning pain in my lower chest on the sternum. I thought it was intense heart burn. Then one night I just woke up throwing up. Then I started to get pain up to my shoulder r side. I eventually turned yellow as I had dropped a stone from the gallbladder and it got stuck in my common bile duct. I then needed an ercp and a week later gallbladder was taken out. It's a simple ultrasound to see what's up in there. I would ask for one.
  • @starphish18 - I know there's no guarantee that they will have the same sale, but I got the Graco 4ever from Target on Black Friday this past year for $169! Every family is different, but I don't think it's too early to buy it, if you really want to save money now. DS only used his infant seat until he was about 4 months old before we transitioned him to something bigger (a Britax marathon). He had torticollis, and the physical therapist thought a different seat would be better for him. The Graco seats that we bought are actually hanging out upstairs still in the boxes. We're going to let DS use that one, and let the baby use the infant seat for a while, then when we transition her into the Britax, he'll get the Graco.

@LilMissCrafty - that would annoy me, too! I didn't have to get my blood drawn 2x during the one hour. They did do it before I had the drink for the 3 hour, though.

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • Thanks for your quick responses.  I sent a message to OB on the online portal.  I hope to hear back soon.  
  • edited March 2017
    @KMD1106 That's what I had to do for the 1-hour. For the 3-hour, According to my lab, first they take your fasting number, then you drink, followed by a draw every hour for three hours. That's 4 blood draws! I'm so frustrated and confused.

Jens_Hoes - Will try to go Wednesday. OB wanted it done before my appt on Thursday. I think this is my punishment for constantly putting if off.

The good thing about all of this is that DH is taking my out to lunch to cheer me up. Our Anniversary is tomorrow, so we're going to celebrate ahead of the storm. 
  • edited March 2017
    clebl24 said:
    I asked in Friday ticker change, but I'm hoping some of you may have experience with gall bladder issues and can chime in. On Thursday, I mentioned to my OB that I having a consistent, dull pain in my upper right abdomen (right under my bra). I just assumed it was a normal and pregnancy related, but I don't recall having this during my first pregnancy.  She mentioned it could be my gall bladder or my organs pushing together due to lack of space combined with my rib cage stretching out a bit. Since my appointment, I've paid a more attention and it seems to be worse after eating.  I plan to ask OB about it again and I may actually contact them before my next appointment.  However, I'm curious if any of you have had gall bladder isssues, if so what were the symptoms, whether you could control discomfort through diet, and did it ultimately have to be removed.  I'm trying not to be a hypochondriac, but I'm really starting to think it is something more than pregnancy symptoms.  

I had my gall bladder removed after my DS and I currently have dull pain in my upper right abdomen, right under my bra like you described shortly after eating during this pregnancy. For me and a couple other people I know that had theirs removed, the pain is intense when your having a gall bladder attack definitely not a dull pain. I had several attacks after my sons birth that felt like crazy burning in my chest and severe back pain, during these attacks I could not function at all. To me, it sounds like your pains are normal pregnancy issues and hopefully they are!
  • @LilMissCrafty, ah I see, I missed that it was the follow up. That's annoying that they didn't fill you in! 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• @LilMissCrafty I have done the 3 hour three times and I always had to do the fasting draw first. It sucks the lab wasn't clear but its because a fasting number above a certain level is an automatic fail, that's why they do it. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @LilMissCrafty - That is so obnoxious! I would be livid. So sorry you'll have to go back and drink the glucola again :/

@starphish18 - I'd say go for it now if you've found a good deal. We switched DS from the infant seat at around 6 months. We've only had Graco seats and have loved them- we have the Snugride click connect travel system for the infant carseat (with the Graco jogging stroller), and currently have the Graco Extend2Fit which we love- it has a high weight limit for rear facing, which is what we were looking for (DS is 97% for weight...sooo....)

Opinions needed: Would it be a terribly jerkish move to apply for a job while on/before taking maternity leave? The job I want takes applications on a rolling basis and holds on to them for a year, interviewing and hiring as needed. I'd like to get my application in ASAP to be on their list, but don't want to burn bridges at my current job. That being said, my current job is similar to a clerkship, and is usually about a 2 year term (I've been here 3 years), so it wouldn't come as a shock to my boss. I have at least one solid reference who has already told me she'd keep it on the down low if I want to apply elsewhere. I'm taking 12 weeks of FMLA (unpaid). Thoughts/similar situations? 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• @kayemjay2, I don't see anything wrong with applying for a new job, especially if your maternity leave is unpaid and your current job isn't permanent.  You have to do what is best for you and your family.