May 2017 Moms

GD check-in

Re: GD check-in

• Thanks @cmcookaln and @lrwardrop! I guess one high number a day would be 25%, right? The nutritionalist said the MfM wants to see under 20% but that seems bit conservative. I wasn't this stressed out about this last time I had GD. 

Anyone have any meal, breakfast, or snack ideas? 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Loading the player...
  • breakfasts/snacks...a mini bagel with a little peanut butter, almonds, cheese sticks, turkey & cheese lunchables, portable protein pack- sold by the lunchables, carrots/celery/broccoli, small cup of chocolate milk, carb smart yogurt or carb smart yogurt smoothie, small piece of fruit or fruit cup, granola bars/protein bars, Small container of guacamole with a few chips or vegetables. Most of my breakfasts and snacks are on the go or things I pack for work so I try to look for convenient pre packaged things at the store.

I haven't changed the things that I eat very much. Just the quantities. I'll have a little of this and a little of that.

dinners have been pretty plain for me.. usually a meat or seafood item with a vegetable. So far I've been able to have a small amount of potato/rice/pasta as well.

Every night I have a sugar free fudge sickle for dessert

• @cato99 do you have any meat markets in your area? funny you mentioned the filet mignon because I had one last weekend and I plan on getting another for this weekend. I recently discovered a meat market by my house that has super deals-- way better than Costco or Kroger and the meat is delicious. I think the filet was 10.99/lb and ribeye was on sale this week for 4.99/lb. Crazy good deals. So maybe if you found a wholesale meat market you could enjoy your filet without hearing your husbands complaints! haha. I call my husband the "wallet warden" so I know the feeling.
  • Great food ideas! I'm definitely going to try farro bowls because I've had good luck with whole grain sides (farro, brown rice, and quinoa).  I have had awesome luck with corn tortillas too.  I'm scared to try flour because I haven't had great luck with bread of any sort.  And I've been having steak almost twice a week.  I also try to recycle leftovers into breakfast.  Today's breakfast was a steak and cheese quesadilla w/ corn torillas and salsa. 

The portable protein packs are good.  Have you had the ones with peanut/almond/dark chocolate clusters? The few chocolate things I have had haven't spiked my sugars at all.  And I have a Snickers Ice Cream bar every night as recommended earlier in this thread.  Per my nutritionalist, I test tested an hour after to make sure I didn't spike and I was fine.  Yet, no whole wheat bread for me and I'm smited (smote?) if I even look at a potato.  It's so weird.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • How many "high" numbers does everyone have? I keep having 1 high number a day, always post-meal (not fasting) and never the same meal.  I'm trying to hard to find appropriate carbs during meals and it's getting so frustrating. So far, I can only have black beans, farro, brown rice, or some grain mix.  Those things aren't too easy to come by in restaurants or as a breakfast option.
    I was put on insulin after having 4 or more high numbers in a week. I have to be 60-90 fasting, 60-120 2-hrs post meal. 
  • I was a 2-hour post tester last time around.  And I think I had better numbers then.  This time, I'll sometimes re-test at 2 hours if I have a high 1-hour number, and my 2-hour has always been fine.  How do they decide when you should test? Think it's based on your 3-hour numbers and which was higher?

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • cato99cato99 member
    edited March 2017
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot nah the blank logs they gave me are pre-printed forms for everyone and just say "1 hr 100-130" so it's definitely not individualized by patient in my clinic. 

That points to one of my thematic frustrations with the GD experience, that there are all these delicate differences between individual patients and pregnancies but the medical treatment is awkwardly universal and can kind of bulldoze over individual concerns. Unfortunately that makes a lot of sense administratively--perinatal issues have huge liability risks so it's in a clinic's own best interest to be as streamlined and conservative as possible. Better to have universally low-key wretchedly miserable patients than a potential complication that could bring on a law suit. 
  • That points to one of my thematic frustrations with the GD experience, that there are all these delicate differences between individual patients and pregnancies but the medical treatment is awkwardly universal and can kind of bulldoze over individual concerns. Unfortunately that makes a lot of sense administratively--perinatal issues have huge liability risks so it's in a clinic's own best interest to be as streamlined and conservative as possible. Better to have universally low-key wretchedly miserable patients than a potential complication that could bring on a law suit. 
    I agree.  There are so many differences which makes it so frustrating.  Tonight, my husband asked if I had ever double check a test before.  I told him no because I didn't want to waste test strips ($50 every 25 days).  I had a reading of 140 on Wednesday night which is the highest I have ever had.  I saw the dr yesterday and she said that with what I ate, there wasn't a reason for my sugar to be that elevated.  I decided tonight to go ahead and test twice after getting a first reading of 128 just for kicks and giggles.  I checked less than a minute apart and got 123 the second time so now I'm really confused and questioning how well my meter actually works.
  • cmcookaln said:
    That points to one of my thematic frustrations with the GD experience, that there are all these delicate differences between individual patients and pregnancies but the medical treatment is awkwardly universal and can kind of bulldoze over individual concerns. Unfortunately that makes a lot of sense administratively--perinatal issues have huge liability risks so it's in a clinic's own best interest to be as streamlined and conservative as possible. Better to have universally low-key wretchedly miserable patients than a potential complication that could bring on a law suit. 
    I agree.  There are so many differences which makes it so frustrating.  Tonight, my husband asked if I had ever double check a test before.  I told him no because I didn't want to waste test strips ($50 every 25 days).  I had a reading of 140 on Wednesday night which is the highest I have ever had.  I saw the dr yesterday and she said that with what I ate, there wasn't a reason for my sugar to be that elevated.  I decided tonight to go ahead and test twice after getting a first reading of 128 just for kicks and giggles.  I checked less than a minute apart and got 123 the second time so now I'm really confused and questioning how well my meter actually works.
    My nutritionalist said the meters can be up to 15 points off. So frustrating. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @cmcookaln you show remarkable self-restraint for not normally re-testing! If I get a high reading i always assume the meter is haunted and redo it, maybe after washing my hands, and most times it winds up lower. (Once I was hosting a brunch and tested at 169 and freaked out until I realized my hands were covered in powder sugar from cooking--when I washed my hands and retested it was at 121.)

Of course if I get a low reading I'm like wow this meter is infallible and I am a literal rock star of glucose. 
  • @cato99 I think I'm just too cheap to retest.  I did have a reading of 150 a while back and did not believe it so I retested and it was like 115. I guess I will just suck it up and start retesting more if I feel like something is off and just not worry about the money.
  • So I haven't posted much but I have been reading. How interesting, the different treatments & expectations we are all getting! Kudos and good luck to everyone on this GD journey. I am a little jealous of those of you who are having/getting to meet with dieticians and the like. I think it would help me. I'm kind of bugged that I couldn't stay in weight watchers. I think I could have avoided GD if I could have continued with their support & tools. 
  • Random question: has anyone had high numbers after not eating "enough" carbs? Asking because for lunch I only had 25g of carbs instead of the allotted 45g and my number was the highest it's ever been at 152 1 hr post. I can't figure it out. 
  • PghMom412 said:
    Random question: has anyone had high numbers after not eating "enough" carbs? Asking because for lunch I only had 25g of carbs instead of the allotted 45g and my number was the highest it's ever been at 152 1 hr post. I can't figure it out. 
    I have.  For me, it's because some food causes my blood sugar to spike regardless of carb count (see above comment re: bread & potatoes).  I've had to figure out what causes that and stop eating it. I also think there's something that can happen where your body "dumps glucose" if you don't get enough carbs.  I'm not sure what that's about and I've only seen it referenced in online forums.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Whoa congratulations @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot !!! It's like you "graduated" from GD (inasmuch as is possible without, you know, giving birth)! I hope you do something nice for yourself as a reward for all of the hard work and vigilance. 

My next appointment is Wednesday and I have no idea what to expect. I had a stretch of bad numbers during a time of a lot of work stress late last week, but things have stabilized over the past 3 or so days. I hate having to hand over my logs wordlessly when I go in, I'd much rather go over them in conversation when I'm handing them in like "these numbers over here were when I was doing x but since then I've been doing y and that seems to have helped" so they get a sense of the narrative trajectory of my management instead of a straight percentage of iffy numbers.  
  • @cato99  I started including notes on my logs to justify my high numbers.  Also, I celebrated with an unexpected sugar spike of 188 1-hr post lunch.  So we'll see how this goes.  Whomp Whomp.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I was not referred for anything/anyone as far as counseling or support groups. I tried looking on my own online but found nothing in my area. 
  • @PghMom412 Yes. I have a list on my fridge of foods I can't have. I had a small serving of oatmeal for a meal (1/2 the carbs allowed) and had my highest number. No more oatmeal! Some foods are just a no.
  • I'm thinking that might be it, but it was surprising because I've eaten these foods before and had decent numbers. I just hadn't eaten this combination. I think that's why I struggle with this transitional period- it's not just getting used to counting carbs, but playing the guessing game of which carbs will do what to my sugar levels. 
  • @PghMom412 that's so frustrating, but the silver lining is that practitioners totally understand that you need time to figure things out (I'm always scared of getting yelled at so I thought I'd throw that out there). And annoying as they are, every time you make one of these discoveries you can file it away mentally and that's one step closer to stabilizing your individual reactions and numbers! 

It could be that one particular carb doesn't suit you, OR that you just needed to add more fat or protein (it's weird that a piece of toast on its own will spike differently than a piece of toast +2 eggs), OR that it's just the wrong time of day, OR it's just "~one of those days~" and nothing makes sense. 

In today's "GD WTF" I got back-to-back readings of 132 and 108. Thanks, meter, that's totally helpful. 
  • @PghMom412 Exactly! It's a guessing game and I feel like there's no time to play. And like @cato99 said sometimes it's a combination issue, or time of day issue. I had a fasting of 96 (bad, but for no reason!!) and then ate a bagel with egg and cheese and had a 1 hr of 126. My morning before fasting of 88 then a tiny bit of oatmeal and 143. WTF. It makes no sense.
  • I got diagnosed with GD last week at 30 weeks 1 day. I met with a nurse this morning to learn how to use the glucose readers, but that was about it. I thought there would be a meeting with a nutritionist or something, but no. I was basically just told to keep my fasting number below 90 and my after meal number below 120. What I do know is that I want a bucket of mashed potatoes.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • So I had my random glucose draw last week, and the results were finally posted yesterday. But I never got any kind of phone call...so idk if they want me to keep on as I have been (low carb/low sugar), or assume that I am fine?
  • I had my first pity-party tonight (not even two weeks in), ugly-cried and YELLED at my husband when he got snappy with me after I kept shooting down all of his (stupid) suggestions for dinner.  I'm currently hiding in the basement waiting for my Jimmy John's order to arrive.  I'm sucking at adulting today.  That is all. :)
  • We all have hard days @saric83. I hope tomorrows better. Hang in there!!
  • So my fasting numbers were all slightly elevated and now I'm on glyburide. Anyone have any experience with this? As someone who is still very nauseous and throwing up... any suggestions for taking it at night?
  • I'm pretty excited this week that I've not had to increase my insulin for 4 straight weeks now. I'm on 11 units with breakfast and 12 units with dinner. It seems like when I first started I was ok for a few weeks and then I had several weeks where I had to increase by a unit each time.
  • @PghMom412  I don't have any experience with Glyburide.  I have heard one of the oral meds (Glyburide or Metformin) can be hard on your stomach/digestive system.  Hoping it goes ok without too much distress!

Awesome news, @fbmandy55!  I don't remember what week you are on.  I've heard blood sugar spikes due to hormones between 32-35 weeks.  Maybe you are on the decline now? I just hit 32 weeks today so I'm nervous.

I ate an entire flour tortilla at Cafe Rio at lunch today. I intended to just take a bite and couldn't stop myself.  And my numbers hate me for it. Turns out, I have no self control.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • I have a question. It's very hard for me to meet the carb amount some meals. When I work it's difficult to impossible to eat 3 meals and snacks. For example today I had breakfast, then 3 snacks (nuts, veggies, yogurt + slice of cheese). I'm not checking my levels after snacks. I'm worried I'll get in trouble for that but my question is do I need to be meeting carb requirements per meal?
  • @jayandaplus My dietician said carbs were important to avoid ketones. If you don't get enough carbs, your body starts breaking down..... something (fat? Muscle?) and spilling ketones into your urine. She could tell that I had not eaten enough carbs because there was a low level of ketones in my urine. If you have too high of ketones, it can be a bad environment for the baby. Some people buy ketone test strips and test each morning. Could you throw some triscuits or a glass of milk in to your meals? Maybe try something like a Lunchable?

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • cato99 said:
    @SparkySunDevil I've never heard of a random glucose draw but if your system indicates that value is normal that's wonderful! If you have a history of borderline draws I can't see how it would hurt to continue to aim for low sugar/somewhat low carb, but fingers crossed you don't have to follow any regimen formally. 

I was discharged this week (32 weeks) from the MFM/GD monitoring program for keeping my numbers in check with diet and exercise. I'll stick to the eating patterns and monitor on my own and let them know if anything looks weird, but I don't have to check in with them again. Ironically, now that I'm not supervised my numbers are better--it's not trivial how much the stress of all the reporting and associated anxiety can affect mood and numbers! I'd generally hovered around 90 for fasting (my program'a limit) but today it was 77, go figure. 

Regardless I can't wait to throw my meter into a dumpster when this baby is born. And break into the doctors office and steal the dietician's smug little plastic educational facsimiles of food and set them adrift in the ocean. 
    When I went in for my appointment two weeks ago, they told me to go have blood drawn for a random glucose check. /shrug. the numbers came back normal, and he said for me to keep doing what I've been doing (eating low carb/low sugar). I'm already down 5 pounds in the 6 weeks since I had my borderline number come back. I go back in two weeks and he'll do a growth scan to see how big she's looking 
  • cato99 said:
    @SparkySunDevil I've never heard of a random glucose draw but if your system indicates that value is normal that's wonderful! If you have a history of borderline draws I can't see how it would hurt to continue to aim for low sugar/somewhat low carb, but fingers crossed you don't have to follow any regimen formally. 

I was discharged this week (32 weeks) from the MFM/GD monitoring program for keeping my numbers in check with diet and exercise. I'll stick to the eating patterns and monitor on my own and let them know if anything looks weird, but I don't have to check in with them again. Ironically, now that I'm not supervised my numbers are better--it's not trivial how much the stress of all the reporting and associated anxiety can affect mood and numbers! I'd generally hovered around 90 for fasting (my program'a limit) but today it was 77, go figure. 

Regardless I can't wait to throw my meter into a dumpster when this baby is born. And break into the doctors office and steal the dietician's smug little plastic educational facsimiles of food and set them adrift in the ocean. 
    When I went in for my appointment two weeks ago, they told me to go have blood drawn for a random glucose check. /shrug. the numbers came back normal, and he said for me to keep doing what I've been doing (eating low carb/low sugar). I'm already down 5 pounds in the 6 weeks since I had my borderline number come back. I go back in two weeks and he'll do a growth scan to see how big she's looking 
    Have you been testing post meals? Every random draw I've had (i.e. not 1 or 2 hrs post meal or fasting) has been below 90. I definitely have GD as evidenced by my "non-random" testings. My growth scans have been normal as well. Seems like a different way of monitoring when you could just take a 3hr for an actual diagnosis. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot
    I'm 34 weeks. I definitely noticed changes around 32 weeks. My sugars went crazy for a week or two but seem to have leveled out again. 
  • @fbmandy55 @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot thank you for the reminder of the 32-35 blip! I'm recently 33 weeks and my numbers seem to have inverted--I used to have stressy fasting numbers but low post-meal, but this week my fastings have been textbook but my meals seem to be deliberately messing with me even though I'm eating reasonably. JUST when I thought I had it figured out! 
  • cato99 said:

Have you been testing post meals? Every random draw I've had (i.e. not 1 or 2 hrs post meal or fasting) has been below 90. I definitely have GD as evidenced by my "non-random" testings. My growth scans have been normal as well. Seems like a different way of monitoring when you could just take a 3hr for an actual diagnosis. 
    Nope, not monitoring blood sugars at all. He doesn't seem to think there's any reason to bother with the 3 hour.