May 2017 Moms
Options

GD check-in

Re: GD check-in

• Options
    I finally figured out how to control my fasting numbers. Boneless wings for my evening snack!  Not the cheapest option but finally something works. They just kept upping my glyburide. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    UGH. I hate this GD.

When can you resume a normal diet after birth? Immediately? What about during labor?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot Music to my ears! This gives me something to look forward to, wheew!

BS still not doing as well as I'd like, despite trying to follow all of the recommendations from you ladies. I'm going to mention testing ketones at my next visit on Monday. I don't see how I can eat carbs and maintain good BS. I'd rather just do a carb free diet, it'd be less stress for me in the end.
  • Options
    Hi there. Was supposed to meet with a nutritionist on Tuesday and they called that morning and canceled my appt. They said they'd call and reschedule and never did. I called twice and didn't get a call back. I am frustrated because I'm not sure what I can and cannot eat..and I have no way to test my BS in the meantime. I had an OB appt on Wednesday and my OB wasn't in, but the one I saw wasnt happy that I hadn't been seen by a nutritionist yet. I have another appt with my OB next Wednesday and he will flip if I haven't been seen. On the upside, I had an US done in Wednesday at my appt and baby is doing well and not measuring big at all. 4lbs 3oz at 32w. Sorry for the rant, I'm just a little nervous. I feel like my OB is the only one that gets things done and takes anything seriously. Before I got diagnosed with cholestasis I called his office to report my itching. He wasn't in the office that day. They had me see a nurse practioner and she just brushed me off. I saw my OB the next day and he had me tested immediately. Thank God he did. 
  • Options
    @jayandaplus Immediately after I delivered my first child, the nurses asked if I was hungry.  I was like hell yeah as it had been over 24 hours since my last meal.  They asked what I wanted and I asked what I could have.  They told me I could have pretty much anything I wanted so I had a hamburger, fries, and a coke.  They didn't even check my sugar at my 6 week post delivery appointment.  I did not have any diabetes related tests done until I had my physical the following May when they checked my A1C which was normal.  I'm not sure if they will be a little more attentive to my levels since I will have had GD for almost the entirety of the pregnancy, but I plan on asking because I feel like I am at a much higher risk this time.
    I also have asked for people to bring carbs to the hospital in order to be admitted into the room to see the baby...sweet tea, FRUIT, chocolate cake from Costco.
    And I told my husband earlier this week that I was not going through this again.  We really wanted three children, but I don't think it's fair to put my body through this again.  I am still not back up to my pre-pregnancy weight so there is no telling what size I am going to be once I deliver.  We have talked about adoption at this point for our third child if we still feel like our family is incomplete once this baby gets here.
  • Options
    @michelle59-2 that is immensely frustrating and honestly unacceptable! I'm glad you have one medical professional on the ball and looking out for you, but that doesn't seem like enough for a regular pregnancy, let alone the one you're going through.

The fact that your baby isn't measuring big is super encouraging, since that's one of the main things they try to prevent at this stage, so even if you'll be starting GD treatment a little late it doesn't sound like there's been much risk to your baby. but you definitely want to start testing your blood and planning your diet as soon as they can see you so that you stay on the good track you're on, so I totally get your ranting! You'll get better dietary details tailored to what your medical practice wants (like exact carb count, protein goals, etc) when they can see you, but in the meantime you can get some peace of mind by cutting out things that are obviously incompatible with GD: sugar, sweets, fruit, simple carbs like white bread and white rice, packaged cereal, and potatoes. 

I hope your medical care gets their act together soon! 
  • Options
    My fast numbers have been high :'( They put me on Glyubride and want me to come in twice a week for NSTs. I expected the meds, but not the twice-a-week appointments. I shouldn't complain about it since it is best for the baby, but I'm not too excited. I am pretty excited for my growth scan on Thursday--I'll take any chance I can to see my little guy! I'm hoping that he will be normal-sized so I can keep him in there as long as possible, but they did say that they'll induce at 39wks if I haven't given birth already. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Finally a GD appt on Thursday!! Excited to get the ball rolling. Also a little nervous because I have read about how much some of you have struggled to get your numbers under control with diet alone. I also worry about money, and not being able to afford the food that I need. Our budget is already so tight. But, point is, I am excited that I finally have my appt!!
  • Options
    @arels483 So sorry you have to go on meds.  I know induction can be a hard pill to swallow (no pun intended).  I was induced with DD and it went great. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @arels483 sorry you have to take the meds. I know it's not the ideal fix, but for what it's worth I've been on glyburide a few weeks now and it doesn't seem to have any horrible side effects and worked relatively quickly to get my numbers down. Fingers crossed you have a positive experience, too!

@michelle59-2 it is interesting to see the food changes that I have tried. Most didn't require changing my budget, just cutting things out (bread, some pastas) and eating smaller portions more frequently. Hopefully your appointment will give you some meal and snack ideas that work for you! 
  • Options
    @arels483 Sorry you have to go on meds. I hope the growth scan goes well! You have a good attitude about all of it.

@michelle59-2 I'm glad you have an appt! Hopefully you'll get good guidance from it.

I asked my midwife if I could do 2 hour readings, and she said yes, they normally have 2 hours and she wasn't sure why I was told to do 1 hour. Huge relief, as all my 2 hour checks after a high 1 hr have been great. I'm hoping this will give me a better attitude about the whole thing.
  • Options
    Question for those who've had a cold/sickness with GD: suggestions for what to take? I know Robitussin and Delsym are safe during pregnancy, and there are sugar free versions, but are these okay with GD? What about sugar free cough drops? I know your numbers can be higher when you're sick to begin with. Have your OBs been okay with a slight elevation if you're sick?
  • Options
    @jayandaplus
    I haven't had a cold since my diagnosis.  But last pregnancy I took the sugar-free robitussin DM.  I cannot remember if I consulted with my OB about it.  I do remember that it tasted so much worse than the sugary kind.  I hope you feel better soon.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @jayandaplus I have had a few colds during this pregnancy.  I try not take to take medications whenever I have a cold (pregnant or not) unless I am really desperate.  I just drank hot tea to soothe my throat.  However, I did have a stomach virus back in January and I was drinking gatorade and eating saltines.  My OB told me they would just ignore my sugar levels during that time if I even felt like checking them.  She also said that illness alone can cause your numbers to be messed up, regardless of any medication or eating habits.
  • Options
    Had a regular OB appt today. When I told him that I have a GD appt tomorrow he gave me a good lecture about not being seen yet. But they cancelled on me and I had to keep calling to get another appt because they wouldn't call back. He's concerned because I am now over 5 weeks behind in getting it under control. And he's thinking I'll probably have to go in insulin at this stage of the game. Feeling kind of down. But do have my appt with the nutritionist tomorrow. So looking forward to that! 
  • Options
    @michelle59-2 Thinking of you for tomorrow's appt! 

So how many people have been told they'll probably be induced? @arels483 and I the only ones?
  • Options
     I'll be induced too. But won't know how early until we start getting a handle on the GD. But he did tell me today that they're still planning on inducing because of the cholestasis and GD. 
  • Options
    @michelle59-2 I hope your appointment goes well. It's not your fault it took so long! It's because of your efforts you have an appointment at all. Keep us posted. Thinking about you!
  • Options
    @n&a0630 at my practice they don't induce until after 41 weeks if you're not on meds, and won't consider it until your due date if you are on meds. I want this demon placenta out of me and away from my baby though; but probably it would be weird to ask about due-date-ish induction on the grounds of GD neuroses? 

(This is an IVF pregnancy too and I've heard that some practices don't want those going too late, so maybe this combination of factors will lead to inducing, idk)
  • Options
    @michelle59-2
    Does he think you need to go on insulin simply due to the delay in counseling/diet? It seems like you should get a shot at diet controlled first. That may work just fine.

I was induced last pregnancy as my OB would only let me go to 41wks with GD even though I was diet controlled.  This time (3 1/3 years later) she says I can go to 42 wks diet controlled.  No idea what prompted that change.  If I were on meds, she'd induce at 39 wks.  I do have some size concerns based on my 32 wk growth US so I'm having another growth US at 36 wks.  I guess that might lead to an induction too.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    What weight on the growth scan do they consider big enough for induction?
  • Options
    No induction as I already have a planned CS at 39w (unrelated to the GD), but my doc mentioned that if that weren't the case, they would offer to induce at 40w if things weren't chugging along.
  • Options
    @jayandaplus Not sure on an exact weight.  With me they are concerned that his abdomen is trending in the 97th percentile and the rest of his body is in the 70s. They are concerned about him having big shoulders and/or abdomen and getting stuck. *shudders*

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options

I haven't had any talks about induction since my GD has been diet controlled. I've been getting growth scans every 3 to 4 weeks. This week baby was 5bs and in the 59th percentile overall. As long as everything remains in check they wont induce until 41 weeks I believe.

@michelle59-2 I'm sorry but I agree with your doctor being upset. You got diagnosed 5 weeks ago and have not made any modifications? 

• Options
    I had my first NST today and got a gold star for my weekly numbers. Baby was bouncing all over the place in there which made the NST super exciting! I'm not sure the Dr enjoyed it though. They had to keep moving the monitors.

@michelle59-2 how was your appointment today?
  • Options
    @irwardrop since being diagnosed I've watched my carbs a lot closer. I haven't had any way to test to monitor besides that. My Dr. Was upset because I hadn't been seen. I had an appt that they called and cancelled and I had to keep in their case to get another because they weren't calling back. 

@NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot they are going to give me a week, possibly two to see if I can get it to be diet controlled because my a1c did come back normal.

@PghMom412 My appt was good! It went pretty quick. Grateful they aren't starting insulin right away. Also had a BPP done for baby and she scored 8/8 so excited about that!
  • Options
    @PghMom412 Today was my first NST out of 5 where baby was actually cooperative & they didn't have to move the monitors once! 
  • Options
    Grateful I was able to start watching my diet before I got in to see the Dr. All of my numbers have been good other than my fasting ones. Does anyone have any recommendations for this? 
  • Options
    @michelle59-2 that's great! If you read the thread from the beginning you'll definitely find some discussion and tips on fasting numbers: be sure you're not fasting too long (8ish hours is ideal), have a high protein bedtime snack, get plenty of water before bed and during the night, and try to sleep well. Even so, fasting numbers are pretty out of your control compared to daytime meal numbers so don't beat yourself up if you can't totally lower them on your own. 
  • Options
    Thank you! I will look back for the fasting suggestions! Thanks for letting me know about the 8 hours being ideal because I've been going 12  or 13 in hopes that that would help but it's made no difference. So thank you! I appreciate all the help!
  • Options
    I was told with my first pregnancy that they would not let me go past 41w due to the placenta deteriorating at a faster rate past 40 weeks with GD.  I was induced at 40w 5d because I liked the dr that was on call that day.  I do not recommend induction if you can avoid it though.  Pitocin is not fun!

On a personal note, I have been struggling this week with my numbers and my mental health.  At my last growth scan, I was told that the baby is petite so mentally I told myself that at this point in GD since I don't have much longer to go a few extra carbs here and there won't hurt anything. I have had several post 2 hour numbers in the 120-130 range since I have been doing this.  It has kind of gotten me discouraged, but I also still want to eat what I want.  I think it will help that I go back to work tomorrow (been on spring break) and can get back into a routine which I hope will hold me more accountable.
  • Options
    I'm new to GD but I don't think one week is any harm @cmcookaln. Don't be too hard on yourself!
  • Options
    @cmcookaln I agree that breaking your routine can really make it difficult to keep the numbers in line. Our little peanut was measuring in the 30th percentile at our growth scan and I had the same thoughts. Getting back into your usual norms hopefully will help get your numbers back to what's accepted.

I think with GD, like most things in life, it's about moderation. I am fully planning to enjoy our Easter celebrations this weekend and know that my numbers will likely be over the acceptable range after some meals, but I plan to get back to it Monday morning. 
  • Options
    @cmcookaln @PghMom412 I have totally fallen off the GD wagon a bit over the past couple of weeks and am returning to my routine today as well. I think we're reaching the end of our pregnancies and the end of our patience and the end of our sanity. Solidarity in guilt!

@cmcookaln haven't you been on the diet for way longer than the rest of us this pregnancy? If anyone deserves both kudos and the occasional period of flexibility it's you. It sounds like your baby is doing perfectly fine due to your diligence. 
  • Options
    I am totally guilty of having said screw it and eating what I want from time to time. I figure I figure a high test every now and then isn't the end of the world, but man if I didn't get that milkshake someone's head was gonna roll. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm diet controlled and I've pretty much figured out what spikes my numbers.  Last week, I only had 2 high numbers the entire week.  So I slacked a bunch this week.  I had 6 high numbers and I even forgot to test one time.  In my defense, one high number was post-baby shower cheating and it wasn't too bad.  But I feel like I'll have to plead my case at my dr appointment tomorrow.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement.  I have a wedding this weekend and of course Easter dinner so I may just "forget" to check after those meals.

@cato99 It will be 23 week on Wednesday since I was diagnosed with GD and have been following the diet and checking my sugar 4 times a day.

@softsoprano A milkshake?! Wow you are brave.  I wouldn't even eat cake on my birthday. I have an appointment on Friday so I am going to ask her then about having a few more splurges here and there for the remaining weeks.  She did tell me at my appointment last week that I have a much greater chance of keeping the diabetes after delivery which has also been discouraging.  I guess because I have had GD for so long, it significantly increases my chances.
  • Options
    I go in today to start on insulin. Hopefully my fasting numbers will be under control with the minimum dose! 
  • Options
    Well the dreaded spike between 32-35 has thrown a wrench into my numbers. The nurse I report my numbers to told me she doesn't believe in the spike to be a real thing and scolded me for my eating (the same foods I have been for 5 weeks now). Regardless, my glyburide is now increased. Looking forward to my on appt and NST Friday to see what that change in rx means for visits and testing.