July 2017 Moms

Nesting

124»

Re: Nesting

• Lol! @Xath i didn't really really think about that... I'm quite short (5.3) so maybe it didn't occur to me for that reason. Maybe I should just look for a flatter light that stays close to the ceiling! I do like the look of that chandelier I posted though it would look great with an indoor hammock I plan to buy  and my gold crib. 
  • BusyZee said:
    Lol! @Xath i didn't really really think about that... I'm quite short (5.3) so maybe it didn't occur to me for that reason. Maybe I should just look for a flatter light that stays close to the ceiling! I do like the look of that chandelier I posted though it would look great with an indoor hammock I plan to buy  and my gold crib. 
    I like the look of it too; I just wanted to share our experience.  I don't know where your wiring lets out, but would it be placed somewhere under a piece of furniture?  That could alleviate some of the height challenge.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • There's no hanging spot right now so I think I can just hang it as close to the ceiling as possible? 
  • Xath said:

When we moved into this house there were chandeliers in almost every room.  My husband repeatedly smacked his head on all of them.  Bend down to pick up the kid?  Stand up smack his head.  Run in the middle of the night because one had a nightmare?  Smacked his head.  

I'll put this in the category of 'shit short people don't have to deal with'. :)
  • So due to my crazy hip pain last week, DH has decided that we NEED to get going on the baby's room before I'm really useless. So I'm reviving this thread!

We wants to paint next weekend, but realistically it will probably be 3 weeks from now at the earliest (I'll be 25 weeks). I've painted every room in this house and planned to do the same now.

Is that unrealistic? Is it safe? Someone mentioned paint fumes to me today, and I kind of think that's outdated and I'm clearly not moving out whether I'm the one painting or not...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Paint fumes bother me regardless of being pregnant, so if any painting happens in this house I'm out of here. You may want to consider that they could cause light headedness, dizziness. Or a headache even if they haven't before. Because of my previous sensitivity, I haven't done the research on whether its truly unsafe or not, but I would guess that it might depend on the paint as well. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • So due to my crazy hip pain last week, DH has decided that we NEED to get going on the baby's room before I'm really useless. So I'm reviving this thread!

We wants to paint next weekend, but realistically it will probably be 3 weeks from now at the earliest (I'll be 25 weeks). I've painted every room in this house and planned to do the same now.

Is that unrealistic? Is it safe? Someone mentioned paint fumes to me today, and I kind of think that's outdated and I'm clearly not moving out whether I'm the one painting or not...
    "Really useless" haha! 

Honestly? I used to paint all the time with the family biz and the fumes never bothered me. We kept windows open, but that was it. So when I was pregnant last time, we painted one room (windows open), and it didn't present issues for me. To be safe, I'd wear a mask if you're going to be painting the whole house. Hope your hip pain is better!!
  • oheliza44oheliza44 member
    edited February 2017
    @GlitterFish we did a good bit of painting over the last year and tried a bunch of different paint brands. I highly recommend the Behr Marquee paint. Out of everything we used it gave the best coverage (didn't need to prime) and had the least noticeable fumes. We ventilated the room while painting but you couldn't even smell it. I am pretty sensitive to smells pregnant or not and it never bothered me.

Edit to add that Home Depot can match any color. We wanted a color that was in the Sherwin Williams line, and they were able to mix it using Behr Marquee paint. Just FYI. 
  • @mrscate88 Oops, I meant that the painting has been my deal - I think we are only doing the one room! (Unless I can convince DH we also need to do our new room! Ha!) 
    And thanks about the hip ... So far so good later this week, but I'm not trying to overdo it! Started seeing a chiropractor, and hopefully it won't get that bad again!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • oheliza44 said:
    @GlitterFish we did a good bit of painting over the last year and tried a bunch of different paint brands. I highly recommend the Behr Marquee paint. Out of everything we used it gave the best coverage (didn't need to prime) and had the least noticeable fumes of any other brand. We ventilated the room while painting but you couldn't even smell it. I am pretty sensitive to smells pregnant or not and it never bothered me. 
    I usually use Behr bc I like home depot - is it the same as the paint/primer one?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @GlitterFish I think so- it is its own special line but it is a paint and primer in one. The samples are usually in their own little sub-section of Behr paint swatches. 
  • Katie______Katie______ member
    edited February 2017
    So, 2 house/ baby ?s--1) We're in final stages for what I hope will be our new house!   I am trying to think through all I want to do.  Would you paint the walls again if the color is ok?  I mean we won't know to be able to match it or if like kids colors on it....but it's a lot to do.  2) Does anyone have a baby monitor they like? The one we liked the dm 222-2 (audio only vtech) seems to be no longer for sale-- and I am a first time mommy!  Buy buy baby sent me 20% anything so trying to use coupons!
  • So, 2 house/ baby ?s--1) We're in final stages for what I hope will be our new house!   I am trying to think through all I want to do.  Would you paint the walls again if the color is ok?  I mean we won't know to be able to match it or if like kids colors on it....but it's a lot to do.  2) Does anyone have a baby monitor they like? The one we liked the dm 222-2 (audio only vtech) seems to be no longer for sale-- and I am a first time mommy!  Buy buy baby sent me 20% anything so trying to use coupons!
    Paint everything you can before you bring in furniture!!! My kitchen is lime green, so obviously I have strong views on personalizing a house!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks @GlitterFish -----I know I am trying to remember all the wall colors (you know it's easy to ignore as you look at a house because you know you can fix it), but home inspection will tell and be the wait-- it's ours almost!

For now, I am less likely to go vibrant colors because I think it will be  mish mash of my furniture and some from our inlaws....so just colors might be kind of a process----but it will be sooo much harder to paint with people, furniture, baby etc.  I don't think I have ever been able to paint before..... 

That said, I saw a bright pink dresser today and was almost ready to get it....but tomorrow is gender day-- so I waited! so at least I am not scared of color for baby :)
  • Glad to see the posts about paint.  I was concerned about out'ing myself in fear of being flamed haha!  I've been painting a shelf I had made, finishing the doors and trim, and painting the crib. (We finished building in March '16 ... still have all the trim and doors left to paint. FML) DH comes in the other day and asks where my mask is.  *eye*roll*  I told him I can't breathe in that freaking thing!  Because I can't.  It was beautiful here this past weekend (Canada ... snow ... +9C is "hot" for winter haha!) so I had the windows open which were doing a wonderful job of filtering out the fumes.  The room was initially painted with 3 beige walls and 1 in a burnt orange so I decided to leave it since it's pretty gender neutral.  All the furniture is white and I'm just accenting here and there and not even really with "girl" colours.  I found out the gender on Wednesday and spent way too much money on clothes for her on Friday after work haha!  I actually enjoyed doing her load of laundry because omg the stuff is sooooo little.  (I got a few NB but mostly 3m and 6m stuff)  I was just waiting to get that damn shelf done so that I can start moving her gear into it.

My closets are small-ish but I built the rooms big enough to have dressers without looking cramped.  Though I decided against a dresser in baby's room.  I had a cube shelf made (exactly like the IKEA Kallax one - 8 cubes) in solid wood and am picking up some fabric drawers.  All her stuff will go in there and I'm putting a change pad on top.  I'm soooo ready for this damn room to just be finished already but the painting alone has taken at least 5 weekends now.  I have 2 coats left on the door then I need to move on to the crib which is just going to be a huge pain.  Oh well.      
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • I was told latex paint is fine. We've been re-painting a lot of rooms getting our house prepped for when this baby comes. I've been fine. If it starts bothering me at all, I go sit outside for a few mins but really I haven't had to do that much. 
  • I went to Buy Buy Baby after work and found a chair that seems to have been made for me - especially in my matching outfit!
    Any thoughts on Best brand chairs? 
    My sister thinks it looks hard to clean... 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @GlitterFish is this for the nursery? For feeding etc? Looks comfy but I think your sister thinks its the type of fabric that looks dirty quickly and catches dust/lint etc. I kind of agree . I'm thinking of getting an indoor hammock instead of a chair but no experience here.
  • @BusyZee Yes, initially, although obviously I would be keeping it longer than baby eats in his room rather than at a table! My sisters concern was taking the covers off for washing, but none of them appeared removable - you can get almost any fabric you want, but this is just like a normal couch fabric. I think I want the recliner version of this chair though, not the actual one in the pic.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @GlitterFish That chair looks sooooo comfy!  But I would suspect it of being hard to clean as well however, there's always ways around that.  I have a microfibre couch and was told to use rubbing alcohol on it to remove stains.  I can't remember how but I came across a good article once with pics and such.  Ashamed to say I haven't yet tried it out haha!  Do you not want a rocker/glider? 

This is the one I've picked out.  I don't particularly like the old, typical designs.  Surprisingly for the price it has good reviews.  Grandma always buys the glider for the Granddaughter's when they have their firsts :)  

Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie