July 2017 Moms
Options

Nesting

Re: Nesting

• Options
    DH is putting a small closet in the nursery. Once that is done, we need to paint and hang crown molding. The nursery is currently my office, so we'll also have to move my desk, the bookcase, and our wine fridge (most important thing in that room IMO) to our other spare room.

The room is currently this dark gray/blue color called gunmetal. I love it, but can't decide if I want a more neutral color for a nursery. We are team green so I am looking at gender neutral themes. So far I think clouds are the front runner. I had a cloud theme in my room growing up, so it makes it a little more special. Once the baby is here I'll add pops of more sex specific colors.

On the topic of nursery furniture- I found a crib at Target that I love but am concerned about the quality. Anyone have experience with Target furniture?
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited January 2017
    Almost as soon as second tri hit I got most of my energy back ... thank God!  We just finished building last year but there's still a ton of little stuff to be done.  Particularly painting the trim in the nursery (all the rooms and closets need to be done actually lol) before baby comes.  So I started doing that.  When we moved in I did beige with a burnt orange accent wall.  I've decided to keep it because it's pretty gender neutral.  I am trying to stay as gender neutral as possible so that I don't have to change everything for every kid we have.  I'm also not into super baby decor.  In keeping with the orange, I'm going to get a big black African tree decal and maybe some black decals of a elephant and giraffe.  Something along those lines.  While I don't really have a preference on girl or boy first, part of me wants a boy first so that I don't have to change SS's room and first baby can just make the transition in there.  (SS will have a room downstairs by that time)  It's 2 bluey/green walls with the other 2 beige with blue stripes.  It was a LOT of work.  I guess I could always just move the nursery in there after first baby but then if I have 2 girls I'm screwed!  LOL

I have a crib but I want to paint it white.  Because I am chemical-free, I need to drive to get the paint I need so I'm waiting on that.  Moved all the adult (bookshelf) stuff out of there and slowly setting up the baby stuff.  The closet is already jam packed with hand-me-downs and stuff that I've bought.  I'm also trying to get my basement organized and finish up some stuff from the build that I know I will never get done once baby comes along.  It's a lot but hopefully I can get there.  

I need to also start prepping the cats.  I know it sounds funny but it's important that I don't blindside them with this tiny human.  They are 12 and set in their ways so I want to make the transition as easy as possible for them.  We all need to adjust.   

Edit:  Because my baby brain literally forgot half a sentence 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm being gifted a like new, beautiful espresso colored crib and dresser/changing table. Along with the mattress to go with. Question, is a hardly used crib mattress something that's OKAY to have hand me down? Or, should I buy a new one?? I feel like I should just buy another.

If kidos end up sharing a room, I need to paint it a light light gray. DS current room colors will not work with a dark espresso crib added into the mix! DH doesn't want kids to share a room is this one is a girl. So, we shall see what happens there. I'm really looking forward to that playroom to get my house back!!!! 
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 I was given a hand me down crib mattress for my second DD (my older DD was still in her crib at the time), and it was totally fine.  It seemed a little weird to me at first to but then when you realize how many mattress covers, blankets, etc. go on, and that they are usually 100% waterproof, I got over it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 I was given a hand me down crib mattress for my second DD (my older DD was still in her crib at the time), and it was totally fine.  It seemed a little weird to me at first to but then when you realize how many mattress covers, blankets, etc. go on, and that they are usually 100% waterproof, I got over it.
    Glad to hear. I wasn't sure once I started thinking about it! I also use the waterproof mattress cover, etc. It's from immediate family so that helps to! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    I 100% agree with this.
  • Options
    XathXath member
    edited January 2017
    @LoveLee85

"It can be common to use a second-hand mattress either from friends and family, or from your previous children. There is some research that found an increased chance of SIDS when using a second-hand mattress although the link is not yet proven. To help reduce this risk, if you are using a second-hand mattress make sure the mattress you choose was previously completely protected by a waterproof cover, and then use one for your baby as well. The mattress should also still be firm and flat to keep your baby sleeping safely."

https://www.lullabytrust.org.uk/mattresses-and-bedding

"Routine use of an infant mattress previously used by another child was significantly associated with an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (multivariate odds ratio 3.07, 95% confidence interval 1.51 to 6.22). Use of a used infant mattress for last sleep was also associated with increased risk (6.10, 2.31 to 16.12). The association was significantly stronger if the mattress was from another home (4.78, 2.08 to 11.0) than if it was from the same home (1.64, 0.64 to 4.2)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC131017/
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 the crib should be fine as long as it is not a dropside crib (sounds like this should not be the case if it was recently used).  I personally would get a new mattress if they used it for more than a few months.  
  • Options
    @stokesm21 How are you prepping your cats? I was going to put the furniture up one by one on a slow drawn out basis. Any suggestions? My cat is young but I want her to love the baby and not feel pushed out by him. We don't have any other kids or fur babies until LO gets here. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    We are trying to figure out how we will set up for new baby. We have decided that our boys (will be almost 4 and 2 by this time) will stay in DS room with a Kura bunk bed. It's a small room but should be okay. The girls ( DD will be 2 when new baby comes) will share the bigger room, debating if she will stay in crib converted to toddler bed or if we should get her a toddler bed or give her DS current big kid bed. I am sad because I was spoiled with my twins nursery, we had a day bed in there that made middle of the night feedings and diaper changes so easy, it was also amazing because I could just sleep in there during growth spurts and when establishing new schedules. But I know I can't fit the bed and keep any of DD toys in there.  We have never had a baby in our room (all 3 bedrooms are in the back of our ranch and z super close, we don't even use the noise on our monitor just the video to determine if it's a real wake up or not) and I'm just not sure how night time feedings will work. I did just get my great, great, great grandmother's mahogany rocker that is super small so I might put that in there.

Sorry for the novel. For twin mom's I 100% recommend a Loveseat or Twin bed in your nursery, it will make feedings so much easier!
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited January 2017
    @kerils It should be a gradual thing since cats are pretty routine animals and take some time to adjust.  

• Move in the nursery furniture as soon as possible to give them lots of time to investigate etc.  A month before baby's arrival, make the "off-limits" areas uncomfortable (change table, crib.  For me, I'm going to have to do this for the rocker so that my one cat doesn't sleep on it all the time)  They suggest laying down some cardboard with sticky tape on it in the crib haha!  Stuff like that.  I don't think my cats will try to get in the crib but I'm not sure yet.    
    • Play audio of a baby crying fairly low while they are eating/playing and turn it up day after day.  I mean, don't play it all day obviously haha!  Just for a few minutes every day or a few times a week. 
    • Buy baby lotion early and start rubbing it on yourself so that they get use to the smell
    • When you bring baby home they say to bring in a blanket or piece of clothing first that smells like them.  Put it near the cats so they can sniff.  Give them tons of attention then bring baby in.  Or have hubby go in first and play with them (again, attention) then bring baby in and set him/her down so they can investigate  
    • For me personally, don't make the baby's room a "taboo" area.  don't lock them out of there 24/7.  Although you should never allow the cat in there when the baby is napping (cats suffocating babies is a myth but they  like heat so they might want to cuddle up to baby which is an issue).  I also won't push my cats away from baby when they approach.  I mean, unless my one asshole cat goes to take a swat lol!  The more you encourage the cat to not see the baby as a threat, the less they will.
    • Try not to alter the cats schedule if you have set feedings, play times   (It will actually be easier for me to stay on schedule with my cats when I'm on leave)

I think it's just important to 1) Still pay attention to the cat(s) as much as possible  2)  Help them foster a relationship with the baby, again, by not pushing them away, saying "no" and other things that might make them resent this new, loud, disruptive human in their house bahaha! 
  • Options
    @Xath I am so, so happy that you posted that!  The mattress I need (I'm chemical-free, organic etc.) is stupid expensive and I was able to find it second-hand.  After reading this I will just bite the bullet and buy it new.  So happy I came across your post because I was ready to jump on it this week!  Although I do plan on using the same crib mattress for all my children based on cost alone.  :S  
  • Options
    @stokesm21 I saw a few of your pointers on a list of how to get dog used to baby, and am stealing the rest :)
  • Options
    LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited January 2017
    @LoveLee85 the crib should be fine as long as it is not a dropside crib (sounds like this should not be the case if it was recently used).  I personally would get a new mattress if they used it for more than a few months.  
    Cribs less than 12 months old and expensive and beautiful! LOL I'm very excited about it along with the matching dresser. 

ETA crib was never in question. Just the mattress. BUT after how picky I was with the crazy expensive mattress I purchased for my son, I'll be buying the exact same mattress for this baby! I mean, I'm saving a TON on crib and dresser now. Well, I would have never paid that much to begin with. Hahah. I was a second born and while a baby doesn't know, I was always giving the used hand me down. I am going to try to do it when only necessary and I don't think it's necessary here to use a used one. 
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 I'm an only child, but I fully intend to have more than one kiddo, and I will absolutely be trying to get as much run out of everything baby/kid thing that I have. I actually registered for all neutral outfits for this exact reason. I feel like the money I will save on not replacing everything will be turned around and spent on family activities and being able to do/give more to everyone, including the "hand me down" kid. If they ever ask, that's exactly how I will explain it and tell them. Not that I wouldn't replace something that was a disaster, or that if they needed something that I didn't have I wouldn't get it, just that I would try to reuse as much as possible. Especially the baby stuff. They outgrow everything SO FAST, I feel like it's barely used anyways.
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    kerils said:
    @LoveLee85 I'm an only child, but I fully intend to have more than one kiddo, and I will absolutely be trying to get as much run out of everything baby/kid thing that I have. I actually registered for all neutral outfits for this exact reason. I feel like the money I will save on not replacing everything will be turned around and spent on family activities and being able to do/give more to everyone, including the "hand me down" kid. If they ever ask, that's exactly how I will explain it and tell them. Not that I wouldn't replace something that was a disaster, or that if they needed something that I didn't have I wouldn't get it, just that I would try to reuse as much as possible. Especially the baby stuff. They outgrow everything SO FAST, I feel like it's barely used anyways.
    I didn't say I was against reusing??? Not sure how you got that out of what I said. But if a safety concern is the issue, and 'necessary', hand me downs aren't going to cut it. 

ETA: I'm being given a USED crib, lol, clearly not again reusing perfectly fine things.
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 No I wasn't saying that you are against reusing or anything. You just mentioned that you were given hand me downs as a kid and that you were only going to do hand me downs if necessary. I was just throwing my thoughts in.... sorry if I upset you, I didn't even mean to. I was just throwing me $0.02 in 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Options
    kerils said:
    @LoveLee85 No I wasn't saying that you are against reusing or anything. You just mentioned that you were given hand me downs as a kid and that you were only going to do hand me downs if necessary. I was just throwing my thoughts in.... sorry if I upset you, I didn't even mean to. I was just throwing me $0.02 in 
    Not upset I am just allllll about reuse and recycle!!!!
     Probably 60% of the stuff for my son was used. I don't reuse shoes at any age. Shoes is more because I think comfort and proper support are very important. That's my one quirky thing I won't reuse. But this second child will always get new backpacks, shoes, school supplies, and clothes when in school because if first born gets it, second born gets it also! And, most importantly, we can afford these things new. If we couldn't, it would be a different story. And new doesn't equal expensive in my book! Heaven help me if I have a daughter that wants uggs in grade school because all her friends have them! I have friends dealing with this! 
  • Options
    I'm in full nesting mode now that second tri is here and my energy is back. We're actually doing some painting this weekend. We got some new couches and stuff for the living room around thanksgiving this year as they were delivered earlier this month. Our living room is officially done now. I got new curtains and stuff for it. It's gorgeous. We're now painting the hallway and foyer and the dining room. We're basically changing the entire look of our house. LOL. I've gotten new curtains for all the rooms. We've been putting up new decorations. It's been a busy few weeks. After we get these projects done, we'll be moving on to decluttering and getting ready for a spring garage sale so we can get the new baby's nursery going. It's going to be a busy few months. 
  • Options
    I'm in full nesting mode now that second tri is here and my energy is back. We're actually doing some painting this weekend. We got some new couches and stuff for the living room around thanksgiving this year as they were delivered earlier this month. Our living room is officially done now. I got new curtains and stuff for it. It's gorgeous. We're now painting the hallway and foyer and the dining room. We're basically changing the entire look of our house. LOL. I've gotten new curtains for all the rooms. We've been putting up new decorations. It's been a busy few weeks. After we get these projects done, we'll be moving on to decluttering and getting ready for a spring garage sale so we can get the new baby's nursery going. It's going to be a busy few months. 
    I'm 17 weeks Monday and in total nesting mode....but still none of this 'energy' people talk about. Boo. I have so many nesting thoughts on paper. My list is crazy long. 

Question: I bought all new living room furniture also. I just want something very neutral without being overly 'tan/brown/white'...will pale gray walls be what I'm looking for? I'm very indecisive about wall colors. So many ideas and I just can't decide on colors. I think it's because I'm just feeling overwhelmed. Lol. 
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 what color is your new couches? Do you already have an accent color going on?
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 I absolutely love gray in the home. Almost every single one of my rooms has some shade of gray in it. For our great room, we used a gray based beige, so it had no yellow undertones in it at all. We got it at sherwinn Williams and the man called it "graeige". I cannot find the name for the life of me! I think if the light gray matches your new couches, go for it. 
  • Options
    @kerils I totally reuse everything if it's safe to do so, and most of the time, it is! But I do regret buying a pink-ish high chair because if this one happens to be a boy, my hubby won't want him using pink stuff haha. My recommendation to all FTM: buy gender neutral baby gear! 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @LoveLee85 what color is your new couches? Do you already have an accent color going on?
    @PurplePoppy424 I have a tan sectional, I would say a 'true tan' with brown stitching. A dark brown chair, and the whole house has oak hardwood floors in honey color. Area rug is currently ivory(well when I bought it it was ivory LOL). Currently shopping for a new rug. I'm going for 'light and bright'. Our house faces north and our living room/dining room doesn't get lots of natural light. Trying to keep it bright feeling. If that makes sense. 

No accent color yet! I am going to change blinds and curtains according to what wall/rug color is chosen. 
  • Options

acstec1 said:
    @LoveLee85 I absolutely love gray in the home. Almost every single one of my rooms has some shade of gray in it. For our great room, we used a gray based beige, so it had no yellow undertones in it at all. We got it at sherwinn Williams and the man called it "graeige". I cannot find the name for the life of me! I think if the light gray matches your new couches, go for it. 
    That sounds lovely! I think I'm being so weird about color is my DH painted our LO room the color I picked out, but it is darker than I would have liked. Husband was so proud I didn't have the heart to ask him to reprint it lighter gray. I picked a medium/light but it looks very dark in his room. So I just brighten it up with everything I buy! :) 
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 maybe you could do really light curtains like a powder blue or light gray! I know what you mean about the shades! I feel like when I see the paint card it's light but then goes on 2-3 shades darker! 
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 With a true tan couch and ivory rug, I wouldn't go full grey, but a grey/beige mix would be perfect! 
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 With a true tan couch and ivory rug, I wouldn't go full grey, but a grey/beige mix would be perfect! 
    The ivory rug is going bye bye. lol it's no longer 'ivory', sadly. Do you have a grey/beige color suggestion?! LOL It would be greatly appreciated. 
  • Options
    I made the trek to Michael's today and got frames for the Lilo & Stitch prints I have.  It's hard to find four of the same frame.
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 the color we painted is sherwinn Williams Pavillion Beige and it's a gray based beige. Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore is a nice one too. 
  • Options
    acstec1 said:
    @LoveLee85 the color we painted is sherwinn Williams Pavillion Beige and it's a gray based beige. Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore is a nice one too. 
    @LoveLee85 Seconding revere pewter - almost used it for Baby#1 - we had a neutral nursery with heirloom white furniture.  Close in tone to revere pewter is abalone (what we used).  Ashley gray we used in our bedroom (quite a bit darker - more of a sexytime feel lol) - arctic grey was a runner up - we love it!  There is also vintage pewter (all Benjamin Moore).
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    acstec1 said:
    @LoveLee85 Seconding revere pewter - almost used it for Baby#1 - we had a neutral nursery with heirloom white furniture.  Close in tone to revere pewter is abalone (what we used).  Ashley gray we used in our bedroom (quite a bit darker - more of a sexytime feel lol) - arctic grey was a runner up - we love it!  There is also vintage pewter (all Benjamin Moore).
    Thank you both!!!! I have heard of revere pewter! I'm going to check out all these colors. 
  • Options
    QUESTION time: is there any reason, safety wise, I shouldn't hang long, decorative curtains in my LO room???? Idk if this is dumb question, but I have cordless blinds now and would love to give his room some fun curtains. We have massive windows in each bedroom so long would just be as long as the windows that go about 6 inches from the ground. So, he would be able to reach them no matter what. 
  • Options
    @Lovelee85 We have curtains in our current (rented) home, and DS2 has ripped the entire curtain rod system off of the wall multiple times.  I'll stick with our inset cordless blinds when we get home.  It's not something I need to continue to deal with. 
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • Options
    Xath said:
    @Lovelee85 We have curtains in our current (rented) home, and DS2 has ripped the entire curtain rod system off of the wall multiple times.  I'll stick with our inset cordless blinds when we get home.  It's not something I need to continue to deal with. 
    I was worried about that!!! Yikes. 
  • Options
    We just moved into this  house, we had the twins prospective rooms  painted but we have not decorated yet ... Feel its a little too soon.  We are pretty good as far as decluttering in that we go rid of so much with the move. I am in high gear with the rest of the house.  I am sure it will begin again soon.
  • Options
    LoveLee85 said:
    QUESTION time: is there any reason, safety wise, I shouldn't hang long, decorative curtains in my LO room???? Idk if this is dumb question, but I have cordless blinds now and would love to give his room some fun curtains. We have massive windows in each bedroom so long would just be as long as the windows that go about 6 inches from the ground. So, he would be able to reach them no matter what. 
    As long as they're not reachable from the crib, I would go ahead and put them up especially if they will help darken the room more than just the blinds. You'll have at least 6 months before the child is mobile enough to mess with the curtains, and if your routine is like mine, the only time they're alone in the nursery is when they're in the crib. So I kind of think nursery decor is less likely to get messed up than other parts of the house. 

Just be prepared to have to remove them (and possibly other curtains in the house) when he is mobile, but at that time you'll be baby-proofing everything. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited January 2017
    i really want a chandelier in the nursery, ATM there are no lights in that room and i want something neautral but not too expensive. Can anyone recommend any stores or any online stores that would have something like this 
  • Options
    @BusyZee My go-to is always Ikea.  They tend to have decent prices and nice quality items.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10245573/

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @BusyZee I'd just be careful if you don't have extra-high ceilings in the nursery.  The reason chandeliers are traditionally limited to dining rooms is because there's a near guarantee that a large piece of furniture will be below it.  Great halls have the benefit of a higher ceiling.

When we moved into this house there were chandeliers in almost every room.  My husband repeatedly smacked his head on all of them.  Bend down to pick up the kid?  Stand up smack his head.  Run in the middle of the night because one had a nightmare?  Smacked his head.  

We ended up removing almost all of them from the house.