July 2017 Moms

Anatomy Scans Thread

Re: Anatomy Scans Thread

• @manillabar I'm glad everything else was fine, prayers and love your way. Everything will be okay! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • thanks @busyzee!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @manillabar Hope your follow ups go well and everything is benign.  Keep us updated. Will be thinking of you!
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • @oheliza44 the A/S is supposed to be scheduled between 18-20 weeks. My OB office wouldn't schedule mine before 19 weeks though, so I get to wait until March 6. They told me the further along you are, the better the Scan...but I dunno how true that is lol.

so I wait not-so-patiently and look at everyone else's scans and get excited. 
  • @oheliza44 My dr office refuses to schedule a/s scans before 22 weeks because they said that's the best time to see everything they need to be checking. They won't go past 24 weeks though. I'm sure if your dr has to reschedule they will fit you in the schedule even if they are booked.
                           SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• thank you @SpongeWorthy!!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• @oheliza44 my office won't schedule before 20 weeks and prefers 20-22 weeks.  I think you should have plenty of time to reshcedule! 
    @manillabar so glad you got good news! Hoping for even better news at your follow up! 

Me: 33 DH: 33

Married: 6.9.12
    DS born: 4.9.14
    DD born 7.27.17

• @oheliza44 Agreed with PPs that said you have plenty of time.  My office prefers 20-22 weeks which is why mine is so far away.  You have plenty of time left. :)

@manillabar Glad everything is looking great and FX for benign results!

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • oheliza44 said:
    @ThePecks glad your bloodwork came back negative!

Does anyone know if there is a timeframe to perform the a/s? My appointment is currently scheduled for Friday, however my DH is having a work crisis and may be out of town. I don't want him to miss the scan- it's our first baby, and I don't have any family in the area so it is important to me that he is there. I don't know if he will be unavailable so have not called the office to reschedule just yet... They are booked months in advance so I am nervous about getting another appointment in the near future. I'll be 19+2 on Friday.
    My doctor said between 18 & 22 weeks.  Pretty much everything I've read has said as early as 16 but nothing later then 22.  Maybe ask your doctor.  I do know that some US techs can record it on a DVD.  And there is always FaceTime.  FX for you. 
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• I just had a scan yesterday. This one was pretty much just for finding out the sex of the baby. The U/S tech said she can do one as early as 16 weeks, but the heart tends to give them trouble. She said she prefers 20 weeks or later and sometimes she even has to have 20 weekers come back at 24 weeks due to the heart measurements. I'd say at least call up and see what they say and when they'd be able to reschedule. 
  • So I had a completely normal anantomy scan 2 weeks ago, tech and doctor told me everything looked great then 4 days later (after my quad screening results came back) I got a call we were high risk for downs at got sent to a high risk doctor. I panicked! We went to the high risk doctor last week everything was great and ended with the choice of having an amnio or being ok with the scan results. We decided to be ok considering we then had a 1 in 200 chance of miscarrying from the amnio or a 1 in 208 chance of having a baby with downs. I'll take those odds over the odds of potentially killing our baby. 

The thought of getting that call after abnormal scan never crossed my mind. The amount of false positives is unnerving and I wish I had skipped the screening like I did with my other 2. 
  • @megandchase I decided to skip the blood screening and just relied on the ultrasounds. I never wanted to do the blood tests anyways, but my husband was adamant about it. I think because his mom's cousin has a baby with a birth defect. It isn't a common one, it's kind of like down syndrome but very severe. It isn't genetic anyways, and for me, I didn't want to know. I didn't want to have to make the decision and live with the anxiety for the next however many weeks. I got it all mixed up with other blood tests, didn't realize until it was too late, and by then my husband didn't care enough anymore to fight me on it. My doctor kind of snubbed me for it though. She was like "really, you aren't going to do it??" Really, I'm not getting the blood test. So sorry to hear that your results came back like that. FX for a healthy, happy baby and less stress for you! 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @megandchase You are in my thoughts and prayers. These tests are never definite and I can only imagine what you must be thinking right now. 

Have you opted for any other tests earlier ?(NiPt) maybe comparing those to your current results could make you better understand? 

@kerils that is very odd, your doctor shouldn't be pushing any tests on you especially given that your age factor etc doesn't really bring you in that category. I only declined cvs and invasive testing procedures and I had to bring up all other tests with my doctor myself. The only test she brought up was for Spina Bfida and even then she asked me if it was something I want to test or not. 
  • @BusyZee I think she's just a judgy person. Or at least that's the attitude I've gotten. Thankfully, I've not only switched practices, but she was only the certified nurse practitioner anyways (and don't even get me started on how annoyed I was that I wasn't even seeing an OB, even though I wanted a midwife in the first place. I LOVE nurses, I have a CNP at my regular doctor who is completely awesome and actually ordered my first prenatal tests, but at 14 weeks pregnant, I wanted a pregnancy doctor. I had questions that I felt like she couldn't even answer, and they put me with her three weeks in a row. Hello, is she going to deliver my baby??) She seriously asked me three or four times in the appointment if I was getting the tests. Her eyebrows were at the back of her head by the time she was done. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @kerils with my first 2 I told them no. This time the OB that I saw didn't even ask just sent me for the blood work because he does it routinely. Honestly I didn't even think twice otherwise I would have opted out. With the screening with the high risk they cut our risks in half so basically now for my age I'm at the same risk as everyone else my age. 

@BusyZee we opted out of all optional testing as we would have this one if had been made optional!
  • I haven't posted much but I'm heading out to my A/S now! We didn't have any screenings so we'll be finding out the sex. I'm also anxious to make sure babe is growing appropriately as I'm on medication for high blood pressure that can cause IUGR. Sending good thoughts to all the mamas still waiting! 
  • @megandchase Sorry to hear you are having to deal with the unknown like that! Will they schedule you for a second A/S? I would think the scan would be pretty accurate and the blood tests def have a false pos rate from what I gather. Thinking of you and FX that everything turns out great.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yayyy congratssss!!! @stokesm21
  • Thank you @maybeitsmadeline and @GeorgiaWife6912

@megandchase I'm sorry the results have left you with uncertainty. I'm hoping that the normal scan can be somewhat reassuring for you and that regardless you have a happy and healthy baby! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• Just catching up on all the news. Happy for all who got good news. Sorry for everyone I missed to tag - on mobile.

@megandchase sorry for all the stress, thinking of you. hope you'll get good news on follow up exams.

@manillabar girl I'm so sorry you have to face this - I know it must be so hard as a health professional not to go crazy... it's so wonderful though to hear that it's a benign variant. Hoping for more good news soon. Will continue to think of you. 
  • Thanks @mj8215! Yeah I keep trying not to look stuff up but that's not so easy... and medical literature is not always much better than dr google lol. I'm just hoping and praying that she'll be ok, and making sure that we have good plans in place in case anything needs to be done after she is born. And focusing on fun things like her nursery and trying to make a registry!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• I love to read all of your stories and am so incredibly thrilled for each of you...I'm kind of a lurker, but I do keep up! I can't  believe we are at this stage in our pregnancies!! We had our anatomy scan yesterday and our tech said everything is looking great and in even measuring a few days ahead! I couldn't be believe how much it was twisting and turning. We opted to not finding out the gender and wait until delivery. I'm such a control freak and it's killing me not to know, but I know the excitement of delivery will be so amazing. Who want some to take guesses on gender?! My friends and family are 70%girl 30%boy right now. See ultrasound below! 
  • @kelseywatts01 I know this isn't the answer you want, but there's virtually no way to guess the gender from a full-body shot with no sight of the genitals.
  • Curious if anyone measured big and if the doctor was concerned? Baby is in the 90th percentile which is freaking me out because I'm worried about gestational diabetes and having a huge baby!
  • @runfast from what I have seen, there is a lot of variability and 10th-90th percentile is considered within normal limits, so, obviously a good question to ask your physician but in of itself not necessarily alarming. Although I understand being nervous about having a big baby! My baby measures 75th percentile...
    GD will certainly be important to watch for,
    especially if you have other risk factors. 
  • Not sure if this question goes here, but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else and I learned this at my anatomy scan: is anyone else carrying really low? I don't know if it was just baby's positioning durinf the scan, but the tech kept commenting on how low he was. She wasn't concerned, she just said everyone carries different. But she had the probe pretty low in my pelvic region to get a good image of his head.