February 2017 Moms

All Things Preemie/NICU

Re: All Things Preemie/NICU

• Ugh, it just breaks my heart to hear everyone having such similar but challenging experiences. EPing sounds so tempting right now just to get some relief from the constant feeding but I think I'd regret it down the line. Every time we breastfeed though it just feels like an exercise in futility. She latches and sucks for 30 minutes or so but I just don't feel like she's getting much. We offer a bottle after with half her normal feed and she always sucks it down. I'm hoping in the next week or two it will click and she'll nurse more effectively. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @paigeed and @lemieuxk we weren't in the NICU, but did come into the world at 36 weeks. Regarding breastfeeding and not feeling warm and fuzzy: you are not alone. Sometimes it feels like a necessary evil and I have said things to the baby that I would be mortified if anyone ever heard ("just eaaattt!!! Fucking eat!)". Triple feeding also got me into a sticky oversupply situation. I have to pump before I breastfeed so my letdown doesn't drown the kid and she can get some hindmilk and not be starving 45 minutes later. 

All that to say: I do feel like it's getting better and slightly less frustrating. We still have our moments, but the good feeds are starting to outweigh the bad. Hang in there. 
  • I'm on the opposite end of the BF/pumping spectrum. I wish our doc had said it's ok to discontinue the fortified 4 bottle feedings the NICU discharged us on. DS is gaining weight like a champ and is tracking on the full term chart for weight gain so I was really hoping he'd say we could just bf but he wants us to wait till after the 2 month appointment before we drop the fortified bottles. DS is a great nurser and, for me, it's easier to just put him to breast than mess with the pumping and bottles. I feel like my supply would regulate itself easier if I wasn't doing 1/2 pumped and 1/2 nursed feedings. I'm still producing way too much and if I go too long between pumping sessions i get painfully engorged. My supply regulated pretty quickly with DD and I never had to pump with her. 
  • I'm on the opposite end of the BF/pumping spectrum. I wish our doc had said it's ok to discontinue the fortified 4 bottle feedings the NICU discharged us on. DS is gaining weight like a champ and is tracking on the full term chart for weight gain so I was really hoping he'd say we could just bf but he wants us to wait till after the 2 month appointment before we drop the fortified bottles. DS is a great nurser and, for me, it's easier to just put him to breast than mess with the pumping and bottles. I feel like my supply would regulate itself easier if I wasn't doing 1/2 pumped and 1/2 nursed feedings. I'm still producing way too much and if I go too long between pumping sessions i get painfully engorged. My supply regulated pretty quickly with DD and I never had to pump with her. 
    This is our situation too.   I'm hoping at her Ped appointment on the 9th they say we can stop the fortified bottles.....It wont get rid of bottle feeds for us yet but it will cut them down to two a day with is way more manageable then 4.  
  • Were you guys sent home with instruction to keep your house warm? We were told to keep the house between 72-75 degrees and I'm just wondering how long we need to keep it that warm. I had a pedi appt yesterday and forgot to ask. 
  • We were told 70 to 72 but no time frame. Sorry not to be able to be helpful. 
  • They didn't say anything like that to us!

do you guys find your babies particularly sleepy? Like extra so? Still after they've hit goals and are at term?
  • We weren't given any instructions about room temp- I keep my house about 66-68 degrees and he seems to be ok with it. 
    @PerraSucia  Harrison still seems really sleepy too. His growth has been great and this Thursday was my due date. He will occasionally have an awake period of 1-2 hours once or twice a day, but it's still mostly sleeping unless eating and he's a pretty efficient eater 20-30 minutes to nurse or have a bottle. 
  • lemieuxklemieuxk member
    edited February 2017
    I don't have anything to compare it to but I think Caroline is kind of sleepy. She's definitely more alert as we near her EDD (2/12) but still sleeps the vast majority of the day. Unfortunately she will only do that sleeping on me so I cannot sleep ever  >:)
  • I was not told anything about room temps either.

My DD sleeps a lot as well and her due date was 1/29. She does wake herself up to eat but usually goes back to sleep. She's up maybe 2-3 hours a day if that.
  • Felix will sleep for long ass stretches like 5-6 hours if I let him. 
  • We were told the rooms in the NICU are kept at 75 so we upped our heat to 70 and he has been fine with it. 

Tomorrow we go in for a quick weight check. I hope he has grown well and that I can now feed him however I want. Last night my nipple shield went MIA sand OMG, that was horrific. He wouldn't latch even though the nipple was in his mouth and just wailed. I bought extras today! I must say though, pumping and bottle feeding last night was much better on me emotionally. 

@chef'swife that sucks about the fortified feeds until 2 months and engorgement issues. Do you have any appointments between now and then that they could change that recommendation? 

Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
    Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
    4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
    Cancelled-no response
    5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
    No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
    septate uterus.
    6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
    Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
    Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
    Chart Stalk Me

• No appointments till March 1, so the pump will remain part of our routine till then :/
  • Thanks guys. I think I'm going to start slowly turning the heat back now that he's at his due date. 

August is not particularly sleepy and he's never slept for 5-6hrs. He's pretty consistent at 2.5-3hrs overnight and shorter spurts during the day. We were told to feed on his own schedule because he's been gaining weight so I think in our case if he was sleeping that long we would be allowed to let him go.
  • Well guys, yesterday was Kole's DD. Pretty crazy that his adjusted age is now 1 day old. We've been really struggling with BF lately. So much so it's driving me crazy. Tonight I decided (with DHs support) to exclusively pump for now and re-evaluate as we go. BF has not been successful for poor baby K or myself. After a 4 am meltdown about my frustrations, being mad at my baby and feeling like a terrible mom, followed by a rough day BF all day I'm throwing in the towel and accepting that bottles are our future. 

I hope you you all are doing well! 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• Is everyone home now or almost home?
  • @paigeed So sorry breastfeeding has been such a difficult experience, but I'm glad you guys have figured out something that will hopefully work better for you!

I think all the preemies are home, but I know there are a couple new nicu moms who haven't been part of this thread yet.

Has anyone been given the go ahead to feed on demand at night? What were the criteria? Never getting more than three hours of sleep at a time is killing me six weeks on. 
  • @paigeed Happy belated due date to Kole! DD is exactly 8 weeks today, but would only be 2 weeks if she was full term.

I'm sorry you were so frustrated with BFing! I was the same way when we were working on BFing and ultimately decided to EP. I couldn't be happier with my decision. Just remember that fed is best and also happy baby and mom are best too! You are doing such a great job with Kole  :)
  • Happy due date Kole!  Another kudos for finding what works for you. I'm in the process of weaning from EPing because I can't stay healthy. I either have clogs or mastitis constantly. I'm sitting here now with potatoes on my boobs waiting for the drs office to open because I need antibiotics. It's devastating and I feel like such a failure but I know going to formula is right for us. 

@lemieuxk - I'm not sure the criteria to go to on demand feeding, but we've been cleared since a few days after coming home and I can tell you he still eats every 2-3 hours. Hopefully once you are cleared your LO will stretch for you!
  • @lemieuxk we still aren't cleared after our one month checkup. He said I can go "a little over 4 hours". At this point though, she's not letting me get to 4 so who knows when we will get more than 2-3 hours of sleep at a time. 
  • We were never given a criteria either, but she still wakes herself up to eat every 3 hours. I got lucky and last night she went for 4 hours!
  • @Kashy17 @ColeBug89  Your LOs are closest in age to mine...how many ounces are your LOs having in a bottle now?  We are still giving the 4 fortified bottles of pumped milk. DS discharged at 2 oz bottles but often now I add 1 oz after he finishes and sometimes an additional 2 oz. I'm thinking I should just up all his bottles to 3-4 oz.  Is this in line with what your girls are having now?
  • @chef'swife DD was also discharched at 2 oz and gradually worked her way up to 3 oz. She's  been at 3 oz for a few weeks now and seems very content. She usually has 3 oz but occasionally will take 4 if she's super hungry or only 2 if she's more in snack mode. We only fortify her two night bottles and she receives all of her other bottles with straight breast milk.

So my short answer to your question (lol) is yes your LO seems to be on par with DD. DD is also 8 weeks old exactly today if that helps at all.
  • We are cleared to feed on demand and he wakes up every2-3 hours at night but sleeps all morning long  :|
  • @chef'swife She was discharged at 2oz.  She can take more but tends to spit up a lot if she has more then that at a time.  So I limit her bottle amount to 2oz and then top her off a bit later at the boob.   Since she gets all of her meds via the bottle I don't want her to spit up all her medicine or else it is not effective.  She will nurse at most for 30mins so who knows how much she is actually getting that way.  She does drain me pretty good when she does nurse ans is gaining almost an oz a day lately so I know she is getting a lot.  
    We are doing 2 fortified bottles a day as well.

Anna is a baby that spits up  A LOT!  I mean almost every feeding she spits up.  You move her slightly and she spits up.  The Dr isn't concerned because she is gaining well and having a lot of really wet diapers.  And I'm told this is normal.....
  • Also we have been feeding on demand since just over a week before her discharge.  She will sometimes make it to 4 hours between feeds but mostly she is pretty regular at 3 hours.
  • @kashy17 - August spits up a crazy amount too. Our pedi said it was fine as long as it's not painful. And then like a light switch this week it went from just big wet burps to back-arching, crying, chewing (the regurgitation). So I called yesterday and we started Zantac today for reflux. 

I know the question wasn't for me but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyways... ;) ...He's having 2.5oz bottles every 2-3hrs at 6.5w old. We ramped him up pretty fast but LC confirmed that he has a "high suck need" meaning he will root and eat as much as he's given until he throws up. We combat that by staying steady on the total oz and giving him a bink as soon as we pop the bottle out. I'm seeing him trend toward feeding every 2hrs more than every 3hrs this week so I think once the reflex is under control we might start offering a little more. Until then, it's better for reflux babies to eat less, more frequently to help keep their bellies from getting too full. So bye bye sleep. I know I said I'm weaning but he's still 100% breast milk at this point, if that makes a difference for you.  I think things can be different as far as volumes and frequency between bm and formula feeds. 
  • @lemieuxk we feed on demand at night but he usually wakes every 3 hours, sometimes 4 though if he takes 70 ml or 2.5 oz. I think full term babies are told they can feed on demand after they reach their BW again.  If maybe that means like 7 ish pounds for a preemie? Kole is only 6 though. 

@Kashy17 Kole does the same thing when he spits up! I plan to ask about it at his next appointment. I think it's normal though since their little digestive muscles aren't fully developed yet. 

We offer between 2-2.5 oz each feed. 2 Oz only lasts hI'm about 2.5 hours. 2.5 oz will keep him full for 3-4. 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• Ella spits up a lot too! She goes to the doctor next week and I was planning on bringing it up then. We just switched to Dr. Brown's bottles and she seems to be doing a little better. My nephew spit up a lot too and could only use Dr. Brown's.
  • @ColeBug89 that's interesting! The NICU used Dr. Browns, but he didn't seem to like them and still spit up a ton. Now we use avent, natural and he does pretty well. Today, barely any spit up... but some days he's a volcanic geyser! Let us know what your pedi says!
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• Well maybe the spitting up is quite normal then.  With our son he NEVER spit up.  Like ever.   So this is new to us.  
    She doesn't really seem in pain and never cries or anything but she does grunt and just seems genuinely uncomfortable a lot of the time.   Some days she spits up way more then usual. Yesterday was one of those days. I think she is mostly just really really gassy.
    Getting her settled and comfortable at night is such a challenge because she is uncomfortable in any position really.   She does seem to like laying on my chest.....all.night.long..............I mean I love cuddling her but Mama is getting tired. 
  • Harrison spits up after some feedings too. He doesn't get too upset  before just a little squawky. His big sister never spit up so this is new for us too.   We use mostly the Dr Brown bottles with a preemie nipple but have some Avent bottles with the #1 nipple. The flow difference between the nipples is crazy. The avent nipple flows much faster than he can manage well so we only use those in a pinch. 

Thanks for for the feedback on feeding volume. It does seem like he is right where he should. E at this time. 
  • +1 for the Dr Browns premie nipple here.  Haven't tried another kind but that is just what thye used in the hospital with her so they gave us a handful of nipples since I could only find #1 sized nipples.

Oh and we have been using Ovol for gas relief for her and it seems to work really well most days.  The Dr said we could use that. 
  • Anna is getting another follow up U/S today in a few hours.  I'm feeling a bit nervous. Not sure if they will give me results right away or if we need to wait for that.   Just feeling a bit nervous.

• Aww @Kashy17 I hope everything goes well! Hopefully you will get the results sooner rather than later, waiting can be so nerve-wracking!
  • @Kashy17 Hope everything goes well and you get quick feedback from the docs!
  • Good luck @Kashy17! Keep us posted!
  • Thinking of you @Kashy17