February 2017 Moms

All Things Preemie/NICU

1235»

Re: All Things Preemie/NICU

• I hope it went well!
  • @Kashy17 any update?? Fx all was well!

At my 6 week PP appt they discovered I had retained placenta (which apparently is common with preemie births). Today I had a D&C to remove the remnants. Ughhh... hoping everything is behind us now! 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
    Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
    4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
    Cancelled-no response
    5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
    No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
    septate uterus.
    6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
    Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
    Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
    Chart Stalk Me

• Loading the player...
  • @paigeed Oh no! You've had a rough go of it. Hopefully it's smooth sailing moving forward. Doesn't it feel like there's a higher risk of literally every bad thing when you have a preemie?
  • lemieuxk said:
    @paigeed Oh no! You've had a rough go of it. Hopefully it's smooth sailing moving forward. Doesn't it feel like there's a higher risk of literally every bad thing when you have a preemie?
    That's no kidding. I keep waiting for what the next "high risk" thing we have next will be. 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• I'm sorry to hear that @paigeed! I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out for you!
  • Hoping things are nice and easy for your little family from here on out @paigeed. You've certainly been through more than your fair share of things. 
  • Thanks guys. I hope (fx) we are on the mend for good now too! 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• The Dr said the ultrasound looked not concerning to her.  The spot hasn't changed size at all.  
    She also said that at their clinic they don't have a sensitive enough probe to see deeper into her brain so she is putting in her report that she recommends we go to the Children's Hospital to get the next one done. She just seemed vague about telling me she thinks that everything looks fine.  Then when I explained that Anna is acting like a normal baby and doesn't seem to have any less movement on her left side then her right the Dr was like "oh well see she is fine".

So I'm not really sure how to feel about this.....
  • @Kashy17 I'm sorry the doctor is being so vague about things. I would definitely go to the Children's Hospital and get a second opinion. I do hope that everything is perfectly fine with Anna  :)
  • @Kashy17 I'm sorry she was so vague with no real direction or answers for you. Maybe she has to be so vague because she doesn't have the right tools to really check thoroughly and doesn't want to give false hope yet. I am praying everything is fine! When will your next scan be?
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• @paigeed I think that you are right.  It's just frustrating that's all.   We see her Ped on the 14th and she will tell us when the next scan will be.   
  • Hi Ladies, I don't know if I have shared this here or not but my husband and I had a hard time getting pregnant. It took 15 cycles, lots of doctors visits and potential surgery before our surprised BFP. During our journey I started listening to The Beat Infertility Podcast. The host is awesome. Some of her topics are obviously more geared toward IF and the struggles faced there but she has a series on parenting after IF that I thought would be helpful to share with you all. Specifically there is a podcast on surviving the NICU after IF. It talks about dealing with the feelings of grief of the loss of your birth plan, the first days not being able to hold them much, etc. It definitely struck a cord with me so I wanted to pass it along. 

https://beatinfertility.co/nicu-infertility/

It's about 40 mins long, but worth it. 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• Thanks for sharing @paigeed! That was really great to listen to! 
  • I can't remember but, are any other preemies on Iron supplements??  If so, how are they handling it?

Anna has been since birth and we are starting to figure out that iron is what is causing her to be so uncomfortable and spit up all of the time.   Every time she spits up it just smells of iron and not normal baby spit up.  No matter the time of day.  So it's like her little body isn't absorbing/digesting it or something.   We haven't given it to her for two days and it is like night and day!   She doesn't  fuss and grunt and wiggle like she is uncomfortable when I lay her down!   Her spit up is almost nothing the past two days.  

We aren't going to stop giving it to her until I talk to the Dr (Thursday) or see what she says.  But it was so nice to have my baby comfortable for a few days.  We have been told she needs to be on it until she is 1!  ugh.....I don't think I can do that to her for a whole year.......

On Thursday she is also 44 weeks and is supposed to come off the caffeine as well so I'm hoping maybe that will help too.  

It just breaks my heart watching her be so uncomfortable and not sleep well and nothing I do helps her :(

On a different note I think she is getting her first cold.....from big brother......not even sure where this cold came from since we have been stuck in the house for days since it's been so F'ing cold.....blah......and she is getting her RSV booster today so she really wont be a happy camper later.....
  • We are on polyvisol with iron. Caroline tolerates it okay, but does sometimes have spit up that smells like iron. I think they have multiple options for iron supplements if one doesn't sit well. Definitely something to ask the doc. 

Yay to getting off caffeine!

I've been so nervous about illness even though I know it's an inevitability. Hope Anna is feeling better soon!

Anyone here BFing with a nipple shield? We are trying you phase it out but it's taking forever. She can latch without it finally, but doesn't do so consistently. 
  • We were discharged on the Polyvisol with iron also but Harrison wasn't taking it very well. We take him to our family doc (who is awesome) and she wasn't too concerned with keeping him on it since it was upsetting his tummy. That's fantastic if Anna gets to discontinue the caffeine @Kashy17!  We haven't had any illness concerns so far. DD is 7 and has only had 1-2 colds and 1 stomach bug in her life so we have been pretty lucky with her. Hopefully he takes after big sis on this front. 
  • Another polyvisol with iron family here. Iron supplements typically cause stomach ache for adults even. That's why PNVs make your stomach churn if you take them on an empty stomach. 

The NICU always mixed Kole's iron supplements in about 10-15 mls of milk and gave at the beginning of a feed. It cut down on the nastiness of the taste and then he's getting full belly with it. Have you tried that? 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• Well she is on a mulit which is ACD vitamins and the iron is just iron.   I do mix them all in a bottle of milk, not all together.  Her caffeine as well.  
    I'm thinking all of it is causing her discomfort. But she will be done the caffeine soon so I hope that helps.