• @chef'wife YAY!!! Great news!! 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
    Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
    4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
    Cancelled-no response
    5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
    No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
    septate uterus.
    6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
    Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
    Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
    Chart Stalk Me

• Loading the player...
  • @lemieuxk. That's fantastic news!  Go baby Caroline!
  • That's great to hear @lemieuxk!
  • Question for those of you who are breastfeeding the preemies...we are allowed to start BFing 1-2x a day and I'm terrified. I have him latching with the shield but I don't know how long I should keep him on. When I google, I find info for without the shield but I've also read with the shield the flow is slower and should take longer. This kid roots constantly and lives for the bink, so I feel like I can't trust that.  Have you been given any guidance? 
  • @ohstars I don't use a shield but typically we nurse from 20-35 minutes and the nurses consider that a full feeding.  At 10-15 minutes they usually supplement 10-15 ml. A full tube feeding is 48 ml. Sometimes he will nurse longer but usually he falls asleep after 30 minutes or so. He is gaining 40-120 grams a day, so this seems to be enough for him. 

• @ohstars we are just starting to BF as well. Right now they have Kole on bottle feeds 2x per day. He only can take about 3/4 of a bottle (48ml) right now before he tires out and they use the nose tube to finish his feeds. 

I've tried to offer the boob several times now and he puts it in his mouth a little but he doesn't really latch to it like the bottle. I'm meeting with a LC tomorrow for a feed and want to ask if the nipple shield will mimic the bottle better so he can latch better. At this point though I almost feel way more comfortable pumping exclusively and bottle feeding just because I know how much he will actually be consuming. He hasn't been gaining weight very well, so the thought of not knowing how much he actually ate kind of frightens me. 

If I learn some more tips tomorrow I'll be sure to pass it along!
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• @paigeed I feel the same way!  I also prefer to pump and bottle feed so I know exactly how much she is getting. Since we have been trying BFing, she seems to be a bit crankier so I'm not sure if she's getting enough. Sometimes we supplement with bottled milk if she doesn't seem satisfied. I have noticed that my supply seems to be a little better (it was decent to begin with) since I'm BFing and pumping.
  • @ohstars   The nurses will only allow me to let Anna nurse for 30mins at the most (I do not use a shield though so not sure if that changes things).  Most times she gets to the 30 min mark and I actually have to cut her off.  I know she would keep going sometimes but they wont let her go that long so she is not too tired for her next feeding.  
  • @Kashy17 we aren't allowed to go over 30 minutes for a feed either. If we try to bottle or breastfeed they usually cut it short if he's not close to finishing by then and just use the nose tube to finish it. 

On the the subject of pumping, what is a good supply amount? I feel like I'm keeping up with what he needs now when I pump, but is that enough? Should I be making more so he has enough when he needs more? How many mLs is "good" for right now? When should I worry about over or under supply? Anyone have some ballpark numbers? 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• @paigeed I was having similar concerns about supply as well! I'm not an expert, but I told the LC that I'm able to pump about 4-5 oz per session (total, not per boob) and she said that's actually really good. I'm afraid that eventually she will need more than I can pump, but we can cross that hurdle if/when we get there. 
  • Thanks guys! This makes me feel so much better. We are home, which is great, but it makes me miss the guidance of the NICU nurses. 

I'm with you guys on leaning towards just pumping and bottle feeding. That's working for us and breastfeeding is stressing me out. We are bottle feeding 50mL of breast milk every 3hrs right now. He takes the bottle in about 10-20 minutes depending how sleepy he is. When I put him on the boob, he totally gets agitated and it takes longer so I wonder if it's even good for him to be working harder to eat. 

As for pump numbers, @colebug89, you really are killing it! My normal pump is 60-90mL in about 20min but I've started adding 2 long pumps to my day, where I pump for 40min and get 4-5oz. I don't know the feeling of empty so I have a hard time knowing when I should be done (with pumping or BFing). 
  • @ohstars I don't know the empty feeling either, so when I was using my single pump (before my double came in) I was going for 30 minutes per boob since the pump would automatically shut itself off. Now that I have my double, I usually pump for about 20 minutes. The LC I talked to actually said it takes roughly 20 minutes to empty breasts, but can depend on the person. She also said that on the pump, you can kind of tell when you are empty when you don't see any more milk coming down (it sounds like common sense, but I had no idea until she said something lol).

As far as BFing goes, DD tends to detach herself after 20ish minutes so I take that as she's done. Sometimes she will go the full three hours and be satisfied and other times she gives her hungry signals like an hour or so later, so I try to supplement with her bottle when that happens. I guess this will be a learning experience for both her and I until we get the hang of it lol.

Also, my DD takes 60 ml during a bottle feed (typically her night feeds or when my nipples are too sore) and I've luckily been able to keep up so far.

@partyof6? Thank you! I can't imagine having two babies to get the hang of nursing at the same time, so kudos to you!
  • Seriously @Partyof6? I can't imagine doing this with two babies! You rock. 

I keep eel telling myself if I don't want to BF today, I can skip it and it doesn't mean I'm quitting (yet). 

I had the horrific idea to BF at 3am. It took about 10min to get him latched which is a little long, but not terrible for us. But once he was on, he sucked for two minutes and then started crying. And when I finally pulled him off it looked like no milk had been coming out. I don't know wtf happened, but usually when he comes off he has milk on his face and the shield is full of milk too. I bottle fed him and then pumped afterwards and everything was fine, but now I'm going to be paranoid it's not working even when he is latched. 
  • @ohstars it takes a solid 2-3 minutes for my milk to come out while pumping sometimes. Maybe hand express a bit before you try to latch. Maybe he just got frustrated waiting for the letdown. 

You guys have awesome numbers for mLs. I've been getting around 50 if I pump every 3 hours and 40ish if I pump every 2. I always take one long stretch at night and got 75 from it one night and like 100 this morning. I just want to make sure I'm keeping up or trying to be proactive about building my supply . 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• @ohstars I usually pump for 5 minutes right before I nurse DS so he doesn't get frustrated. If I'm too full he can't get a good latch and helps ensure he gets milk right away. I also usually massage my breast to squirt a little in his mouth as soon as he latched or to entice him to latch. But I also have a crazy over supply (like 6 oz per side each pumping) so the LCs aren't worried about me running out of milk before he's done, even with pumping first. My hospital has a lactation consult call in line for quick support after discharge. Is something like this available to you?  
  • @ohstars DD's pediatrician actually recommended that we do fortified bottle feeds over night to 1-Make sure she's getting enough calories just in case she doesn't during the day with BFing and 2- for our own sanity so we don't have a screaming baby in the middle of the night lol. And I feel the same way as you do sometimes about not wanting to BF. I usually start BFing at her 8AM feeding but decided to give her the bottle this morning instead because she was a little fussier last night and I was super tired and knew we would both be frustrated if I tried to BF. We will all hopefully get the hang of nursing here soon! 

@chef'swife Wow that's an amazing supply you have!
  • paigeedpaigeed member
    edited January 2017
    @chef'swife holy supply!! Did it naturally happen like that or did you encourage it? Tips? 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• When i pump i get 4-6oz total. The LC said that was a lot.  In fact they told me to stop bringing in so much milk each morning because they have to freeze what i bring in.  So now i have a freezer full of milk. I bottle one pump and freeze the next.  I end up pumping ine or two times while here at the hospital so that is in addition to what i bring in each day.  

@paigeed i think being able to keep up with baby is perfect.  

I am planning on donating milk because we will only use a bottle on a need bases so i wont need to pump as much after she is done with bottles. 
  • @chef'swife i have to pre pump before feeding Anna as well sometimes or ahe floods herself.  It mostly happens on the right side.  Im told that the right boob makes more milk? 
  • @paigeed I have been drinking Mother's Milk tea 3x a day to help with my supply. Not sure if that's why my supply is pretty good or if I would produce that on my own. I would consult with a LC before trying the tea though. 
  • I haven't done anything to specifically increase supply. I have pumped 15 minutes every 3-3.5 hours since day 1. I never really pumped with DD so I'm not sure if it was the same then, but I EBFd with her to 14 months and she never seemed to not get enough. As baby's demand increases, your supply should increase. If you are making enough for baby's needs or at least partially, I'd say that's a win!  We will be donating all my extra here at the hospital when we discharge. I freeze what I pump overnight at home and we have a pretty big stash. I know they have 2-3 pink tubs at least here at the hospital frozen so I'd like to donate that since DS was given donated milk to supplement his needs in the first 2 days. 
  • @Kashy17 I have also noticed that my right boob makes more milk, but I thought that was just my body. That's interesting! And also, what a fantastic supply!
  • What a Great idea to donate your extra breast milk! Such a great way to give back. 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• Today I was super frustrated with BF sand bottle feeding and just over it all and started crying. The nurse starts telling me "maybe you should go home, not be here all day...blah blah blah." I just looked at her and was like "where am I going to go? Home is 2 hours away and sitting in the Ronal McDonald house alone doesn't really sound any better than just being next to him." I know she was trying to be helpful, but sometimes you just need to let people have their feelings ya know. 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• I'm so sorry @paigeed, I hope tomorrow is a better day! 
  • chef'swifechef'swife member
    edited January 2017
    @paigeed Sorry you  had a rough day. I'm sure she was trying to be helpful and let you know it's ok to be away from the hospital sometimes but her delivery was awful. My OB walked in my hospital room while I was having a crying breakdown while I was on hospital bed rest after my water broke. I felt so embarrassed but she gave me a hug and talked to me at length about what was going on with me and DS. Sometimes you just need a good cry to cope and there's no shame in that. Hugs to you, mama. 
  • Sorry to barge in on this thread, but wanted to ask @lemieuxk if you can send me a PM please? I'm having trouble sending one to you and wanted to write to you about something please. 

You are all doing absolutely amazing and I admire and am so impressed by all of you and your brand new little ones resiliency throughout all of this!
  • @paigeed I'm so glad you said something and didn't internalize her comment. I hate that we can't have feelings in our society, and while she may have been trying to be supportive, it wasn't. Keep up the good work mama, and I hope you're able to hang in there with bfing. 
  • @paigeed  Sorry you had a bad day.  I'm glad you said something to the nurse as well.  

• Today my baby girl is one month old.  I should be happy about this knowing she is growing and doing great and is perfect.  But I am so sad that she is not home and that nothing is going the way it should be.....

We were hoping she would come home Thursday but she had a few bradys the past few days and has now decided to have some periodic breathing so she is back on the caffeine............I am feeling so emotionally exhausted I'm not sure how much longer I can stay strong......

Yesterday the nurse walked in on me crying and asked if there was anything that she could do.  I told her the only thing that would help is having my baby come home.   
  • @paigeed - that sucks that your house is so far away. I also think it's super important that you share your feelings with the nurse so they know your preference is to stay. 

@kashy17 - I'm so sorry to hear about your babe's setbacks. Happy 1mo to your little girl! Hopefully things start to look up this week! Hugs!
  • @kashy17  I'm sorry to hear about the Brady's and setback date of going home. It's like we take 2 steps forward 3 steps back sometimes. I am really praying that she can stay strong and be off the caffeine over the next few days. How is your support system? Is YH able to sit with you some days? Are you by yourself? One thing my hospital has are some outreach groups I want to go to... like a breastfeeding group and a knitting group. Just to get me out of the room for an hour or so and talking with other moms in the same shoes. 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• @Kashy17 Happy 1 month to your baby girl!  Hopefully it's a brief setback and she can be on her way home soon. How many days does she have to be Brady-free to go home?
  • @Kashy17 happy 1 month to Anna! I am so sorry about the setbacks, I hope she is able to come home soon!