August 2017 Moms

Weekly Random 2/13

Comments? Questions? Rants? Raves?

Re: Weekly Random 2/13

• Good bye first trimester!
    Anyone already buying baby gear? 
    Im obsessed about picking out a stroller and car seat!
  • LivLew said:
    Good bye first trimester!
    Anyone already buying baby gear? 
    Im obsessed about picking out a stroller and car seat!
    Not yet, but I've been looking. I told DH what strollers cost yesterday and he about had a heart attack. 
    I got pretty annoyed with him too. He thinks a $40 basic umbrella stroller would be fine. However, we live in a city. A stroller (or a baby carrier) will be our primary mode of getting this child around, not a car. Uneven sidewalks, rain/ice/snow, and probably 3 solid years of wear-and-tear... no. I'm intending to spend a few hundred at least on this sucker and he can't seem to get his mind around that. (Plus, the light /streamlined ones that are more attractive visually and for carrying up 4 flights of stairs are extra-expensive.)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just bought my stroller (literally on my lunch break)!! I hit the second trimester yesterday and like @LivLew I've been obsessed with the stroller/car seat. I researched and tested them multiple times & for some reason was super excited about it haha. I've bought a couple other small items (play mat squares in grey/cream and change clutch) because they are limited edition prints with Skiphop that I really wanted. 
    My best friend gave the baby he/she's first gift - little moccasins! They are so cute.
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• @LivLew Yess I've been obsessively researching those two exact items! I feel like buying those will make me feel more prepared..The options are overwhelming though. 

Question for STMs on car seats.. did you buy an infant car seat and then a second convertible seat for when baby is a little older? Or start with the convertible-type seat from day one?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12,

We bought the bucket seat that clips into a car base first.  We didn't get the convertible seat until DS outgrew his bucket seat at around a year.  

I'm in Western NY and know that while it is not illegal to start with a convertible seat, a lot of hospitals hassle new parents because they apparently "have to check" you've strapped your baby in correctly.  This is obviously harder for them to check when the seat can't come up to the room.  

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @secicc12 I had bought the infant seat and then switched to a convertible around 8/9 months. I've heard of people starting with a convertible but I like being able to just snap the infant seat in the stroller base and not have to wake up the baby if he/she is sleep.

@DeansGirl14 I would suggest going to buy buy baby, babies r us, etc to try out umbrella strollers, especially if you live in a city and will be dealing with rough roads. There is a huge difference between a $40 umbrella stroller and a more expensive one. Whenever I needed to talk DH into buying the more expensive item I just told him we would be able to use it for multiple kids so divide the price at least by 2  :D Right now I'm going back and forth between the uppababy gluxe and maclaren quest. 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Haven't started shopping yet, but this is my second go around.  I regret not forcing my husband into getting a "convertible" stroller that can convert from one to two.  DH was nervous to do this in case we just had one.

We have 3 strollers currently and I hate them all. A hand me down Chicco which has never been used, an cheap umbrella and a Baby Jogger Vue.

The Vue is like a fancy more sturdy umbrella stroller, but the wheels are terribly small and it has no storage.  I want a stroller that goes over sand, grass and gravel.  I know baby jogger has a new one coming out in April/ May that looks good, but DH will fight me on the price.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @DeansGirl14 will you be having a shower? Sometimes groups of people will go in together to buy larger items, or you'll have gift cards and cash to with your completion discount to buy one.

@secicc12 DS was in the carrier until about 6 weeks, then the convertible. He was big and too heavy to keep carrying in the carrier. I got a great deal on our convertible seat from kohls.com the week of Thanksgiving. 
  • @LivLew I've been researching those things obsessively too! And pack n plays--who knew there were so many options?! I started an amazon registry but made it private so I can put my top picks in it and go back and change it up for now if I decide too.  Also went nursery furniture looking this weekend!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @NatSprat0703,

The pack and play was a pain to pick.  I eventually went with a midlevel priced one because I liked the pattern.  I sort of wish I had gotten one with more storage, but a diaper caddy made up the difference in what my pack n play could hold.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/19514423?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228014690735&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40331548472&wl4=pla-78293252672&wl5=9051644&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=19514423&wl13=&veh=sem

Pregnancy Ticker

• @DeansGirl14 will you be having a shower? Sometimes groups of people will go in together to buy larger items, or you'll have gift cards and cash to with your completion discount to buy one.

I will be as this is the first (and only) child. I just kind of feel like an ass for putting something so expensive on a registry, especially as my in-laws are most likely to actually buy it and they're already planning a nice event at a restaurant. I'd rather save my own pennies. (I know others have said there's no reason to feel like an ass, but I will. Oh well.) 

This thread is really handy though because I was searching for strollers and it's kind of hard, online at least, to figure out which hold infants and how and if it's a car seat or a random infant carrier type thing and what goes where. Gack! It'll get figured out. When I eventually go to register (was thinking April) I'm dragging one of my mom-friends with me, for sure. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've got about the same pack-and-play as @Lauradi1010. I really liked it. I'm struggling because I know I want baby in my room for the first few months but I don't want to haul the pack-and-play up and down stairs. I can't justify a bassinet but.. I'm lazy lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Like @britvahok mentioned, test drive strollers at BBB!  DH and I went in saying we didn't want a "fancy" stroller that was expensive. Wow did test driving ever change our minds. We have the Baby Jogger City Elite that we'll sell this time because we bought a Baby Jogger City Select since we'll have two kids.  We loved our City Elite though and I'm kind of sad to sell it. 

We used the infant carrier car seat until DD was a year and then switched to a convertible car seat. We'll use that seat for a long time. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @Nxy

I do love my pack n' play.  I loved the cuddle cove.  DS spent most of his first few weeks in that and the swing.  I only wished for more storage because of my C-section.  Stairs were brutal and we went through something like 12-14 diapers a day at the begging.  We quickly learned to have a functional diaper station on each level.  

Luckily for upstairs we had the crib and co-sleeper.   Once he outgrew the co-sleeper I did haul pack n play up and down.  It was a pain and that didnt last long.  

Check some mommy resale stores or sites.  You may find good deal on a co-sleeper/ bassinet.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @LivLew I've been researching those things obsessively too! And pack n plays--who knew there were so many options?! I started an amazon registry but made it private so I can put my top picks in it and go back and change it up for now if I decide too.  Also went nursery furniture looking this weekend!
    Yes! I'm having a hard time picking a Pack n Play! 
  • I totally agree about the strollers. We have a jogger and it's got real rubber tires that take air and suspension. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Definitely go test them! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 The prices are nuts, but once I took DH to buy buy baby and we played with some, he realized the amazing difference.  We picked out the stroller/car seat that we wanted months ago **TW** before I had my loss in July **endtw**.  We are going with the Baby Jogger Citi Mini GT and the baby jogger car seat as well. 

Ive been trying to do some more research for other things, swings, bouncer, pack n play, and any other similar things.  We have a small house and I really want to get some of those things in combo, and a pack n play that I might only need when we go to our families. Any other suggestions??
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Speaking of car seats... has anyone tried that one I see on TV, the Graco all in one? It works for infants through grade school and is advertised as the only one you'll ever need.
    Be that as it may, what stroller is it compatible with?
    I just don't want to keep buying stuff. That Graco is really appealing, but if my stroller selection is limited, then that would be annoying too. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 The prices are nuts, but once I took DH to buy buy baby and we played with some, he realized the amazing difference.  We picked out the stroller/car seat that we wanted months ago **TW** before I had my loss in July **endtw**.  We are going with the Baby Jogger Citi Mini GT and the baby jogger car seat as well. 

@littlebug2010
    DH saw a mom with a City Mini on the train over the weekend and later said to me, "THAT is not 'mini.'" I said, "If you want anything more sleek and streamlined you're talking an $800-odd Uppababy." He was aghast. 

That does look like a popular option though! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm putting off cleaning out the spare room and buying baby gear. I feel so overwhelmed by it all! I'm hoping to get most stuff second hand and cheap, but I'm worried about buying an ok bouncer or bath, and then an even better one showing up on Craigslist the next day :blush: I'm a thrift hound
  • @DeansGirl14 have him compare the city mini gt to a regular jogging stroller, they are mini compared to that.  My DH is a runner, and wants to be able to use it for that, but we also live in a walking city (when its warm), and having something durable is important.  But I know what he means, its not super mini.  However I know there is a new Baby Jogger, and it actually folds up into a backpack.  I dont think you can put a car seat on it for an infant, but its really cool, and actually small. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • I don't plan on buying anything until we reach viability+ but that is not going to stop me from researching!

Stroller research is my obsession. I walk the dog every morning around town and different parks, so I want something that will steer easy/ one-handed, has a bassinet and with air filled wheels to handle light trails and old town sidewalks. Leaning towards a Bugaboo because I love the different configurations but also a City Mini GT for its crazy easy fold. I also think that the City Mini would be easier to travel with in the future and would take the place of an umbrella stroller. A few friends swear by their Bob Revolution strollers so I'm also considering them.
    (I love bargain shopping and am totally down with getting a used stroller, so I've been doing a lot of craigslist looking to get an idea how much certain models usually go for.)

I'm hoping that I can just borrow a snap and go, just because I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it...

Pack and Plays I find entirely way too hard to research because THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @littlebug2010 - we're going with the City Mini GT as well - much lighter and compact compared to many. I would love to get the CityGO seat but it's not available in Canada yet. We're going to hold out until close to the birth to see if it comes over or get the Britax Be Safe 35. I thought and thought over the City Select and City Mini GT but for long term I think the Mini GT is best for us. 
    TTC #1 07.2015
    TTC #2 06.2019

• @littlebug2010 just to make sure, you are aware the City Mini GT is not a jogging stroller. Your comment above about DH wanting to jog with it has me concerned he will. It doesn't have the suspension and also safety stop features for actual jogging.
    As far as your other items mentioned, a Pack and Play was worthless for us at home and we only take it for travel. A swing was a must for us with DD. We had a Fisher Price one that swung two ways. It does take up a good amount of space.  I weaned her from it around 5 months old and sold it so I couldn't use it as a napping crutch anymore (we will be getting another).  We have a no thrills bouncer (hand me down). We could transfer DD to that more easily than the swing when she fell asleep on me. 

@DeansGirl14 I have not looked at the Graco car seat you mention. But, what kind of expiration does it have?  Most car seats have around a 6 year expiration. I mean, that could go up through Kindergarten/1st but you'd still need to buy something else potentially (unless you have a super tall kid). I also feel like I've heard that seat is huge?

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @JWatt5 are the matts from Skiphop limited edition? I really want the light gray as well (planing a grey and white nursery) but I don't want to buy anything until after the 20-week scan. 
  • @bumpybump I am aware that it is not a jogging stroller, however, we have a few friends who have the same one and use it for that just fine, with a safety 'leash' so it wont roll away. He tested it out at BBB (ours lets you run outside with them) and felt that it fit is smaller frame best, compared to some of the other actual jogging ones. I let him make the full decision for it, and even the BBB person said a lot of people who go on light jogs prefer it.   Thanks for the info on the other stuff.  Its really challenging figuring out what is going to be best. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • We have an uppababy vista and a bob dualie for running (purchased off of Craigslist by a mom who def was not strong enough to be running with that thing so it was in mint condition) and an uppababy glite. I am not a stroller person at all - definitely prefer baby wearing 90% of the time (even with a two year old - ergo!) and the vista doesn't get used often. The glite is usually what gets tossed in the car if a stroller might be needed. So my two cents is starting stalking craigslist and the like and the lighter strollers are so convenient. The g-luxe can be used with even smaller babies as it reclines I think.

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• I wasn't sure where else to put this but I didn't want to start a new thread  :D. DH is going to be away at training when we find out for sure what sex the baby is. It's just classroom training so I can drive down and see him when he gets out for the day. I was looking for some really cute ways to surprise him but they all seem so cheesy. Any ideas ladies?
    This is what we did last time. I'm not even sure where we found this idea.. but looking at it now, super cheesy lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @nxy because food is all I care about right now, I would love if you surprised me with a cupcake filled with colored cream/icing. 
  • @Nxy I've actually never seen that one before so props for some originality. I had some friends who shot off colored smoke on a boat in their lake.  Probably not an option either...

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @Nxy I've been trying to find something cute to do for my sister and BIL. They are both away at college and won't be home when we tell the family (we are not doing a party, but because this is the first grand baby for both, we want to do something special). I plan to bake something for the grand parents, but I can't mail a cupcake, so I've been trying to come up with something cute for them. I love you idea, that would be so fun! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @bumpybump I was looking for some kind of way to like.. rig colored smoke to come out under my car so it looked broken but I was pretty sure DH would murder me.. @LivLew DH hates sweets but maybe I'll make them and just eat his and show him
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Nxy this store has gender reveal push-pop confetti and scratch off: https://paper-luxe.com/search?q=Gender+reveal

• @littlebug2010 we used that as our announcement but since we were a million miles away from everyone we cared about we posted the first picture (unbroke eggs) the night before and had everyone guess what they thought then, we revealed the second picture (broken eggs) after the scan. I didn't want to do it on our social media like that but it really is easiest when we are so far away. This time.. I'll call my mom and say don't tell anyone yet!! and she'll make sure everyone I've ever met knows what the sex is in a matter of hours. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LivLew - the diaper clutch was for sure but for the geo foam tiles the store said that Skip Hop adds/deletes mat colours often so just incase I bought that right away (really wanted the grey & creme). Could be just the store too though - For Canada that colour is exclusive to a store called Snuggle Bugz here. 
    TTC #1 07.2015
    TTC #2 06.2019

• Nxy said:
     This time.. I'll call my mom and say don't tell anyone yet!! and she'll make sure everyone I've ever met knows what the sex is in a matter of hours. 
    @Nxy Ha!!!! My mom is the same. I told her about the pregnancy on Saturday and said "please give me until Monday before you tell anyone" 

This morning I get a text message from her saying "so and so say Mazel Tov" I swear she set an alarm for when the sun came up and hit send on an email. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • One of the popular reveal ways I think is cute is to pop a giant balloon together and have the confetti come out. That way you can bring it to him after class and find out together.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 When I was pregnant with DS we lived at the beach and we decided to just go with the convertible car seat.  At 8 months pregnant DH got a job offer in the mountains and there was no way I was going to deal with getting DS in and out of the car in the snow so we bought as infant one at the last minute.  If we had stayed at the coast I would have been fine with just the convertible, but DS hated the car seat so there was no sleeping in it for us.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When we find out, DH is going to have a bottle of beer and a bottle of wine in front of him. If he opens the wine, girl. If he opens the beer, boy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 I have the Graco4ever for my DS (he's 19 months) and so far we love it. It is convertible all the way up to a booster. However, we started with a traditional baby car seat, because I wanted something that I could take in and out and attach to my stroller. The Graco4ever is safe for infants, but it doesn't connect to a stroller. It's really meant to stay put in the car.