November 2016 Moms

Middle of the Night Musings

123457»

Re: Middle of the Night Musings

• Oh my god @kvruns. What I wouldn't do for 10 hours of sleep. We were up every two hours last night. Long term sleep deprivation is a very effective from of torture. 
  • @MrsMaryK2016 sadly it doesn't translate into sleep for me. He ate at 6:30pm, down for bed at 7 fussed and had to be soothed for a bit then would fuss enough for the monitor to go off til 9ish though he was just making noise not crying. I went to bed at 930, was woken up by fussing at 1130, back to sleep til 1ish when he was fussing loudly so I fixed his swaddle and went to go pump and since he was still quiet was able to sleep til almost 5.  So my actual sleep was maybe 6 hours broken into 3 segments. It was still nice don't get me wrong though but I'd love even 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Up every hour for the last four hours... and I'm pretty sure it's burps and farts that he'll only do when held. Ugh. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • This kid has been up every 2 hours since birth to eat and I'm so tired. He's 10 weeks this crap has to stop.
  • @leighry my DD was the same way until 4 months old. Just out of curiosity is your son over 13 lbs yet? I have heard it's a magic number as far as babies sleeping longer. IDK but my DD finally made it to 13 lbs at 4 months so it may be true. DS is already at 14 lbs and sleeping longer at 2 months. 
  • @leighry I am in the same situation. And it's starting to feel like it's getting closer to 90 minutes apart. 

And not to strip away any kind of hope but my LO turned 8 weeks on Friday and is 15.5lbs. There has been no change in eating or sleeping habits. I'm actually thinking about beginning to delay his eating demands despite the screaming it will provoke in hopes of changing this every 2 hour thing. 
  • @rspalding001 if 13 is the magic number I'm in trouble. He was 9lbs at his 2 month appt a week ago. I will say that my other 3 were the same as far as weight but I feel like by now they were at least giving me 4-5 hour stretches.

@SandNStarsNJ I was up at 11, 1, 230, 4 (when i tried to not feed him but after 25 minutes of screaming i was like oh my god fine!! And he was up again at 6) i was thinking of trying out that merlins magic sleep suit ... and maybe even giving him a bottle feed at night on top of nursing him because I go back to work in 2 weeks and need more sleep than this.
  • My son is also also 15lbs at 9 weeks and we are still up every 2 hours. And he's definitely up to eat because his diaper was only wet once when I went to get him. My dad mentioned delaying feeding to get him used to longer stretches but he's ravenous when he's up and I dread the inevitable crying.  I'm already getting so little sleep I don't want to make a worse in the short run even if it makes it better in the long run. 
  • Tonight we were up at 11, 1, 2:30, 5:15, and now, 6:50. Sometimes he's eating like a madman and other times, like right now, it seems more gas driven/comfort sucking but he's still very much eating. 

Only one wet diaper is kinda nuts @mrsmaryk2016. How long does he nurse for?
  • Oh he pees while we're nursing so I am changing him at least once each feeding. I just meant he wasn't waking up because of a wet diaper because he had only peed in his sleep once. 
  • Ok I'm feeling way better about my little guys eating bc he goes 3-4 hours during day and usually 8-9 hours between feedings at night (but he will fuss during this time it isn't just sleep). My guy is 2 months old today and not sure even 10lbs yet. He's had longer night feeding stretches the last maybe 2 weeks 
  • My Lo is 13 lbs at 9 weeks and up every 2 hours, with the occasional 3 hour stretch to eat
  • My LO eats every 2-3 hours during the day, and he sometimes gives us a 3-5 hour stretch the first sleep of the night, but the rest of the night is definitely every 2 hours on the dot. Mine also seems to not pee a ton at night, he'll hold it in for awhile and then pee a ton at once and leak out of the cloth diapers. 
  • @desoky01 even when I cloth diapered DD I would always switch to an overnight disposable diaper for night time. There is no way cloth can hold in all the pee ha ha
  • hoosiermama-2hoosiermama-2 member
    edited January 2017
    I'm just sharing my experience (not doling out unsolicited advice!!)—we usually feed E a 4 oz bottle around bedtime, and I'll top her off on the breast if she wants it/to let her fall asleep. That usually gives her a 4 hour, on average, stretch. Give (!!) or take a little. She's 2 months today/9 weeks Wednesday.
  • Has anyone's little started chewing their tongue recently? D started two days ago like she's got a piece of bubblegum in her mouth. She doesn't seem bothered.  I figure she just discovered her tongue?

As far as feeding/sleep "schedule" she eats every hour or two during the day, cluster feeds for an hour or two straight at night until asleep. We've been super ultra mega lucky in that she's been sleeping for a 6 hour stretch at night the last few nights.. usually followed by 1 or 2 two hour stretches after a night change/feed. I don't know how long this sweet slumber will last but I'm enjoying it for however long it does. 
  • No tongue chewing, but she's discovered her hands and has been sucking on them. This morning she almost had her thumb in her mouth :|
  • Is anyone else's LO spinning themselves in the crib? He keeps turning till he gets stuck, bangs his head against the side, and wakes up. This feed feels unnecessary...
  • Is anyone else's LO spinning themselves in the crib? He keeps turning till he gets stuck, bangs his head against the side, and wakes up. This feed feels unnecessary...
    Mine does it too he will usually end up perpendicular to the mattress. Yesterday he got himself all the way down to the opposite corner of the bed from where he started. I'd love to watch it happen
  • My stretch of good baby sleep ended and he's woken me up a ridiculous amount of times I've barely slept. He has his 2 month appointment and shots today so I'd really like him and me to sleep before!
  • kvruns said:
    My stretch of good baby sleep ended and he's woken me up a ridiculous amount of times I've barely slept. He has his 2 month appointment and shots today so I'd really like him and me to sleep before!
    Bring infant Tylenol for after the shots. He'll sleep after them (and need to).
  • My LO ends up at the bottom of his crib by morning and  horizontal lol yesterday he kicked so high he kicked on his sound machine. I have his crib mattress elevated a tiny bit but still. Also, he alwayssss lays on the one side of his head and I'm freaked out he will need a helmet. I even started putting him on the other side of his crib but it didn't work. During the day I can control it more but he definitely has one side that is flat. He can turn his head just fine and isn't tight at all but just favors one side. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • After reading things about baby turning I just realized I put M in with his head in the right side but picked him up this morning with his head on the left. 
    Squirmy man! 
  • anne11716 said:
    My LO ends up at the bottom of his crib by morning and  horizontal lol yesterday he kicked so high he kicked on his sound machine. I have his crib mattress elevated a tiny bit but still. Also, he alwayssss lays on the one side of his head and I'm freaked out he will need a helmet. I even started putting him on the other side of his crib but it didn't work. During the day I can control it more but he definitely has one side that is flat. He can turn his head just fine and isn't tight at all but just favors one side. 
    If your doctor isn't worried, you're probably fine. We can't control what they do at night. Just avoid that side during the day. 
  • Even though my little guy is sleeping well at night it doesn't translate to me getting sleep. I think it's finally starting to wear on me. Definitely feeling exhausted this morning 
  • @kvruns - Lovetit in solidarity. Sooo tired. 
  • MrsMaryK2016MrsMaryK2016 member
    edited January 2017
    God I'm with you too. I'm an idiot and stayed up to two in the morning because we had people over. So now I have a raging headache, I'm exhausted and my house is a disaster. Whyyyyy????
  • God I'm with you too. I'm an idiot and stayed up to two in the morning because we had people over. So now I have a raging headache, I'm exhausted and my house is a disaster. Whyyyyy????
    Right? I have trouble enjoying going out because I know I'm not sleeping for the next 24 hours.  DH does not get it. 
  • God I'm with you too. I'm an idiot and stayed up to two in the morning because we had people over. So now I have a raging headache, I'm exhausted and my house is a disaster. Whyyyyy????
    Woah 2am?! Maybe I'm glad I have no social life bc I wouldn't be able to handle that 
  • She's nearing the 6-hour mark and I've been awake since hour 5. I can't sleep, I think out of habit. We're usually up to nurse around now. Debated whether to pump for a good 20 minutes. Got up to pee THREE times and still don't feel empty. Now pumping. 
    :s
  • She's nearing the 6-hour mark and I've been awake since hour 5. I can't sleep, I think out of habit. We're usually up to nurse around now. Debated whether to pump for a good 20 minutes. Got up to pee THREE times and still don't feel empty. Now pumping. 
    :s
    Oh no! You'll get there. Enjoy the extra time!
  • Now at 6 hours, 24 minutes :flushed: This is her longest stretch ever! Now I'm guessing that she'll wake up as soon as I drift off. :p 
    DH should be up in an hour. 
  • I was spoiled and now m is back to sleeping for a half hour and waking. Then up for 2 hours. Then sleeping for 3 hours. Then I get fed up and take him into bed with me. Anyone else end up co sleeping?
  • @kristah2 totally. I swore I'd never cosleep but, particularly when A was just born, it was so much easier. Now she's sleeping in her crib from 9 pm to 5 am and then I feed/cuddle her in our bed from 5 until I get up between 6 and 6:30. 
  • I try not to, but I often end up co-sleeping too. Especially now that I'm working again, sleep feels too important and LO sleeps so much better with us. Otherwise it's been feeding every two hours and since H still has a tough time getting around after ACL surgery I'm still doing all the diaper changes at night. My doctor even scolded me when I told her he sleeps with us sometimes, and I feel guilty, but it's so hard for me not to fall asleep while feeding him at night. 
  • I am so agggravsted with myself and the inlaws that I let LO deviate from his nighttime routine. Getting up twice a night was awesome. Tonight has not been swerved. 
  • Never planned on co-sleeping but that's what happened from night #1 at home. She slept in her boppy lounger between us. After a few weeks, DH got her the Snuggle Me original - https://www.snugglemeorganic.com/snuggle-me-cushion-shop
    My work got us a nice portable bassinet thing that's been sitting at the foot of the bed with laundry piling up on it. I feel bad about that... but we just love having her next to us. I keep saying we'll work on transitioning her when I'm a month-ish out from going back to work. We'll see :p