November 2016 Moms

Middle of the Night Musings

Re: Middle of the Night Musings

• So my night was alternating between a 2 year old with a 104 degree fever and a newborn cluster feeding on the hour. DH helped by poking me when the monitor went off...

He will pay dearly today.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Thanks for all the replies everyone! Baby woke up shortly after I posted, around 2 a.m., not dehydrated or overheated. She's 5 weeks, has surpassed her birth weight (she was born 9 lb,s, 15 oz), and is gaining steadily. That 5-hour stretch of sleep was incredible! She was up for a good long while after that, but oh well, it was worth it. 

SandNStarsNJ Wishing you lots of coffee today ... there's nothing worse than having a sick child and I can't imagine handling that on top of having a newborn :-/
  • Loading the player...
  • mrsmoose5 said:
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! Baby woke up shortly after I posted, around 2 a.m., not dehydrated or overheated. She's 5 weeks, has surpassed her birth weight (she was born 9 lb,s, 15 oz), and is gaining steadily. That 5-hour stretch of sleep was incredible! She was up for a good long while after that, but oh well, it was worth it. 

SandNStarsNJ Wishing you lots of coffee today ... there's nothing worse than having a sick child and I can't imagine handling that on top of having a newborn :-/
    Awesome!  Once DS1 had hit all those "goals" (for us it was around 4 weeks), I let him sleep. From then until a bad sleep regression around 5 months, he regularly slept 6 hours, up to eat, then back to sleep for another 3!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mrsmoose5 said:
    I'm lying in bed wide awake and alone ... baby has been sound asleep since 8:30 p.m. and it's 1:30 a.m. ... of course I woke up and freaked out and checked to make sure she's breathing. She's stirred a few times, but stayed asleep. Do I wake her up? My boobs feel like they're about to explode. 
    If my child ever slept that long no way in hell I'd wake him. Then again we barely get 1 hour of sleep from him at a time so my perspective is different I'm sure. I'd pump if I was uncomfortable but that's it 
  • So my night was alternating between a 2 year old with a 104 degree fever and a newborn cluster feeding on the hour. DH helped by poking me when the monitor went off...

He will pay dearly today.
    Wtf DH!
  • These husband's need a reality check, mine included and he's been pretty good. They obviously have no idea how hard it is to be your baby's only source of nourishment and primary source of comfort 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm convinced that God knew what he was doing when he made women the primary care giver; there's no way men could do it! 

** Obviously some gross exaggerations are involved in this post **
  • These husband's need a reality check, mine included and he's been pretty good. They obviously have no idea how hard it is to be your baby's only source of nourishment and primary source of comfort 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm convinced that God knew what he was doing when he made women the primary care giver; there's no way men could do it! 

Agreed! It is taking all I have not to kill my H as he continues to complain about lack of sleep (he's getting 5-6 hour stretch each night) and he takes cat naps while working from home. Meanwhile I'm awake all night and day with baby save for a shot at sleep from 9pm-12am if I can get
    my mind to shut off to actually fall asleep and I don't get naps during the day bc baby is so unpredictable with naps. But of course tell me how tired you are. Or dilly dally when I ask you to get something or to help - the longer you take the closer to baby meltdown but go ahead and finish the game on your phone you play every waking hour. 

Whoops guess I needed another vent LOL
  • Haha... I can't help but find that DH asked where the Motrin was this morning because he's stiff from a soccer game last night to be appropriate here. My reply, "with my prenatal vitamins because it's what I sometimes take for the soreness of pushing a baby out." He got the jab and took it well - as well as the Motrin. 
  • kvruns said:
    These husband's need a reality check, mine included and he's been pretty good. They obviously have no idea how hard it is to be your baby's only source of nourishment and primary source of comfort 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm convinced that God knew what he was doing when he made women the primary care giver; there's no way men could do it! 

Agreed! It is taking all I have not to kill my H as he continues to complain about lack of sleep (he's getting 5-6 hour stretch each night) and he takes cat naps while working from home. Meanwhile I'm awake all night and day with baby save for a shot at sleep from 9pm-12am if I can get
    my mind to shut off to actually fall asleep and I don't get naps during the day bc baby is so unpredictable with naps. But of course tell me how tired you are. Or dilly dally when I ask you to get something or to help - the longer you take the closer to baby meltdown but go ahead and finish the game on your phone you play every waking hour. 

Whoops guess I needed another vent LOL
    Truer words never spoken! I had a slight freak out on my DH last week for these same reasons. Resulted in him giving me an apology card, a slice of caramel cake from a local bakery and him now consistently asking "what can I do/you need?" Much better now!
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • A coworker had a night nurse earlier this year for evening feedings/care and I remember DH and I were surprised someone would do that. Now 2.5 weeks in he is googling them and says he doesn't care about cost or weirdness he is considering it. Can only imagine how much it costs 
  • kvruns said:
    A coworker had a night nurse earlier this year for evening feedings/care and I remember DH and I were surprised someone would do that. Now 2.5 weeks in he is googling them and says he doesn't care about cost or weirdness he is considering it. Can only imagine how much it costs 
    My SIL hired a night nanny and loved it! She had to go back to work pretty quickly and couldn't be tired everyday (she's a dentist). I don't remember how much it was but I do remember that it wasn't crazy expensive plus the lady did dishes and laundry and light housekeeping. 
  • kvruns said:
    A coworker had a night nurse earlier this year for evening feedings/care and I remember DH and I were surprised someone would do that. Now 2.5 weeks in he is googling them and says he doesn't care about cost or weirdness he is considering it. Can only imagine how much it costs 
    My SIL hired a night nanny and loved it! She had to go back to work pretty quickly and couldn't be tired everyday (she's a dentist). I don't remember how much it was but I do remember that it wasn't crazy expensive plus the lady did dishes and laundry and light housekeeping. 
    It seems silly while I'm on maternity leave but if he doesn't turn a corner and sleep more than an hour or so each time at night I might give in. 
  • @kvruns Girl, I say if you can afford it there is no judgement coming from me! It's hard to be present during the day when all you want is for them to take a nap so you can get a break! 
  • @kvruns Girl, I say if you can afford it there is no judgement coming from me! It's hard to be present during the day when all you want is for them to take a nap so you can get a break! 
    I have no idea if we can afford it but seeing as H just tagged me in 1 hour after I tried to go to bed bc the baby was screaming again (had been off an on for 2 hours) I have a feeling research will be done. 
  • We are on hour 4 of fussiness and tons of crying. Save me 
  • kvruns said:
    We are on hour 4 of fussiness and tons of crying. Save me 
    Ugh. I'm sorry I hope it gets better. 

And ive never heard of a night nurse! How awesome to wake up to clean laundry and a sleeping baby!
  • Maybe a car ride? my little guy always falls asleep in the car!
  • Night two:  toddler fever at 102 and newborn cluster feeding/gassy. And now I'm not feeling too well. Hooray. 
  • DH just got home from work (he's a police officer and works 5pm-3am)... Our 3yo DD is wide awake and DS is cluster feeding... I'm totally guilty of putting Clifford on Netflix for DD because I just dont want to battle with her about going back to bed. I let DH sleep when he gets home and wake him up around 10am. I already need a nap tomorrow. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Sounds like we are all having a rough night! I think my LO just had his first cluster feeding bc he's been on the boob every 45-60 min since 11pm. And the rest of the time he's sleeping on my chest so I'm sure I'm ruining any progress we've made for sleeping elsewhere 
  • Ugh this LO used to sleep for three hours at a time. Tonight? Awake from 10:30-12:30 and now 2:30-? God I am tired. 
  • Maybe a growth spurt @mrsmaryk2016? They sometimes eat WAYBmore than usual. 
  • I had that too last night. DH fed her TWO bottles in one sitting, 2oz each, and she was still crying with hunger cues, I had to get up to nurse her. No idea where she fits it all. I thought their stomachs were only so big?? Plus she fed every 30-45 mins for the following few hours. #chainedtothecouch
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• @kvruns cluster feeding is rough. However you won't ruin sleeping arrangements :) i was worried about this too after a couple rough nights with babe. Plus another night I was so tired I kept falling asleep feeding and so he slept in my arms all night. 
    He went back into his crib for me. Even one night he went in and was waking up a little (eyes were opening) and went to sleep ms stayed in there for 3 hours! Surprised me becaue he usually needs to be out cold before i put him in there!
  • Maybe a growth spurt @mrsmaryk2016? They sometimes eat WAYBmore than usual. 
    Zombie-mom over here. I finally passed him off to my MIL (she's here for the night while H is out of town) at 5:15 and she got him to sleep until 7:30. If this is a growth spurt then I'm fine with him staying small. Kidding. Sorta.
  • Up date on the gas/ minimal pooping front: vitamin c works. I've been drinking one Emergen-C a day and the boy is finally pooping and farting more freely. Who knew?
  • MIL is set to arrive any minute and will be with us until Monday. The same MIL that thinks I'm a bad mother. Let's see how many times she tells me how to parent this weekend. Prepare for some rants. 

@SandNStarsNJ I never would have thought that!! Good to know. 
  • kristah2 said:
    MIL is set to arrive any minute and will be with us until Monday. The same MIL that thinks I'm a bad mother. Let's see how many times she tells me how to parent this weekend. Prepare for some rants. 

@SandNStarsNJ I never would have thought that!! Good to know. 
    Good luck! Stay strong!
  • So it turns out DD has roseola not the flu. The only saving grace is that I am immune to it and hopefully DS has my antibodies since he's only 2 weeks old. But I guess we just wait and see if it's been spread. 
  • @sandnstarsnj at least that's a fairly easy illness to have. I remember when my DD got it and aside from the fever the rash part didn't seem to bother her at all. Could be worse! ;) also as long as you are BFing I'm sure DS will be fine.
  • SandNStarsNJSandNStarsNJ member
    edited December 2016
    @sandnstarsnj at least that's a fairly easy illness to have. I remember when my DD got it and aside from the fever the rash part didn't seem to bother her at all. Could be worse! ;) also as long as you are BFing I'm sure DS will be fine.
    Thanks... I hope so. I was always taught to fear because it's how I lost most of my hearing as an infant. The fever spikes were apparently pretty intense. 

ETA:  words
  • My husband is sick with a cold. So the world is ending...  normally the weekend days I can sleep so much more but it's not happening. I don't want him to get the baby sick but man alive I'm exhaustedddddd
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • My husband asked me yesterday if I could scoop dog poop out of the yard during the day "when I have time." And I told him I don't really have time to do that (we have 4 kids, 2 of which I need to get to a bus stop and drive to preschool and then pick up and get off the bus in the afternoon. I spend the rest of my day feeding baby, taking care of the other one and doing all the grocery and Christmas shopping). and his response was "really? you don't have 10-15 minutes to do that?" And when I said no and told him all the things I do he just rolled his eyes. but God forbid I ask him to stop for milk on the way home. guys are all somewhat mentally challenged. I swear.
  • I don't know why her longest awake stretches start at midnight... it seems very unfair! Sitting in the dark and trying to soothe her back to sleep with white noise and rocking but she is just firing on all pistols... I guess she stays awake in the day too sometimes but there should be nothing motivating her to stay awake right now. I wish I could control her fatigue levels hah
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• I don't know why her longest awake stretches start at midnight... it seems very unfair! Sitting in the dark and trying to soothe her back to sleep with white noise and rocking but she is just firing on all pistols... I guess she stays awake in the day too sometimes but there should be nothing motivating her to stay awake right now. I wish I could control her fatigue levels hah
    I had this issue from 1-4am last week and tried @kristah2's suggestion with keeping him awake earlier. Around 7 I have DH tickle his toes so he's not sound asleep and then feed him at 8:30, change his diaper and into his pajamas afterwards so that he's still awake and feed him again at 9:30 until he falls asleep. It seems to working because he's sleeping in 2-3 hour shifts and nursing quickly and going right back to sleep now. 
  • It's 4am and this little monster is just staring at me wide awake. He's had about 3-4 naps of 30-45 min and that's it. The previous 2 nights were actually pretty good and I'm paying for it today 
    I had this issue from 1-4am last week and tried @kristah2's suggestion with keeping him awake earlier. Around 7 I have DH tickle his toes so he's not sound asleep and then feed him at 8:30, change his diaper and into his pajamas afterwards so that he's still awake and feed him again at 9:30 until he falls asleep. It seems to working because he's sleeping in 2-3 hour shifts and nursing quickly and going right back to sleep now. 
    Going to try that tonight!
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN

• Every baby is different, but with both my boys, I've found that sleep begets sleep. I've never kept them awake - not healthy for a newborn IMO - and they've both been good sleepers. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with @atcwag. My LO is impossible to get to sleep when over simulated and over tired. I let him sleep. The only time we have issues with him going to sleep is if I have more caffeine than one cup of coffee in the morning. I've had to cut out soda and cut back to one coffee. Which is another thing to keep in mind  if you're a coffee drinker. Their bodies don't metabolize caffiene the way ours does. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18