March 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding Support/Tips/Tricks/Recipies

I wanted to make this a place for STM’s to share some love as everyone prepares for the roller coaster that is breastfeeding.

I want to preface what I've listed below with that from what I’ve read you don’t want to start supplementation until after a few weeks so you really have an idea of where your supply is at. That being said I am not a lactation consultant again just a place to share experiences/research/etc.

• Kellymom.com – this is your GO TO source for all things breastfeeding breastmilk and more. Questions about storing or thawing breastmilk, pumping, weight gain, weaning and everything in between – this is by far one of the best resources.
  • Mommy meds app – this is a fantastic App that allows you to look up medication to see if its safe during both pregnancy as well as breastfeeding.
  • Breast, Bottle and Beyond – Facebook group. This is an awesome group to join which actually have lactation consultants as admins. They will even help you fit your flanges/shields etc by sending them pictures.
  • One of the huge tips that came from a LC I spoke with is that BFing is uncomfortable at first (the pressure, you will get chapped and maybe even bleed) but it should not HURT. If it hurts something is wrong it could be tongue tie, lip tie, bad latch and so on. If you think that it hurts more than it should get help!
  • A supplemental tip to this is in the beginning to use nipple cream after every feeding for a couple weeks (or until your body adjusts) Some people don’t need it and tbh I got chapped but probably didnt NEED the constant application – that being said I only got a little chapped – thus it could have been from the constant application.

Here is my list of things of various tips as well as things that either worked for me or worked for an immediate friend

• Skin to skin and nursing as much as possible are the no brainier first steps!
  • WATER, WATER, WATER!!! Absolutely NOTHING can help if you’re not drinking enough water! You will be SUPER thirsty all the time just plan to never stop drinking water lol. So find your favorite large cup that will encourage you to drink a ton. I love a huge cup with a straw. While I love water regardless I still get a little bored so having a lot of different ways to flavor my water are also a favorite. 100 oz a day is what you will typically read is needed.
  • GATORADE
  • OATMEAL  - With DS I was eating this almost every day. There are many articles out there where women have compared their supply with and with out oatmeal and have noticed a difference. Another plus is that it keeps you full!
  • OVALTINE – this has to be the malt version (Orange label). Some women absolutely swear by it for a huge increase. I only noticed a slight increase (which is a great point – you are going to have to find what owrks for you. Every mama’s body is different!)
  • BEER! – WAHOOOO! ;-)  A hoppy or dark beer

If it does come time to actually supplement – brewers yeast, flax meal and fenugreek are the go tos. (you can buy them all on amazon or at a wholefoods/trader joes etc). I’m sure that this is not on anyone’s mind yet but as a note fenugreek can not be taken while pregnant (I share bc I did NOT know this and was going to try it when I started to loose my supply due to this pregnancy)

A lot of people are huge fan of lactation cookies but what I found to be the most helpful was muffins. I found them to be more helpful bc I could make HUGE batches, freeze them all then when I wanted one or two (bc they are delicious lol) then I could just grab a couple out and defrost them.  Again every mama is different but I would wake up leaking when I ate these

These were my go to muffins

Lastly here are other things that I have read about but never tried –

• Nuun
  • Blessed thistle – midwife sugestion
  • Mothers Milk Tea - lots of close friends swear by this

If down the road you really need some help to increase – look into power pumping and absolutely look into support groups and LC’s in your area!!

Looking forward to hearing other suggestions and tips!!

Re: Breastfeeding Support/Tips/Tricks/Recipies

• Can I just say thank you! My hospital wanted me to pay for a breastfeeding class and I didn't pay and didn't go! This is much appreciated!
  • Loading the player...
  • @BumpAdmin@BumpCaitlin@BumpJackie, & @BumpTara can we please have this stickied? TIA!!
  • This post is so informative that I have nothing to add! Thanks @vino831! I breastfed for 2 years and there was still some stuff in your post that I didn't know. Thanks for the info. 
  • C25C25 member
    edited January 2017
    *deleted because I wrote a huge thing and it didn't post and now I'm mad at TB! Don't want to re type because my fingers are numb ;)*
  • I second the kellymom suggestion. I spent hours just reading the articles about every possible topic. So helpful! 

I also liked Dr. Sears breastfeeding book and the womanly art of breastfeeding (kind of lame but with good information amidst the bias). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for this!! Went through and sorted some of my bottle samples from registry sign ups and gifts and what I was provided with my pump. So many options!! 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • shines721 said:
    A tip from a  lactation consultant I had as a nurse in the hospital was that if the baby gets sleepy, take their arm that is on top and make a swimming rotation with it.. like they are swimming the breaststroke and it can make them start to suck again. 

Also... take a deep breath and relax after the initial latch! I had to do that for a few months until it all was normal. 

Believe in yourself, your body and your baby. You were created to do this but that doesn't mean it's not hard. 
    That's a cute trick. My best strategy with my son (who was jaundiced and so super sleepy) was to just irritate him awake, lol. Breast stroke sounds more gentle. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • YES!!! Posture is so important.  Bring baby up to the breast, don't lean over.  You spend so much time nursing it's so important to pay attention to your posture.
  • Wanted to bump this!
  • @BumpAdmin@BumpCaitlin@BumpJackie, & @BumpTara can we please have this stickied? TIA!!
  • vprodvprod member
    My new little lady is a beast and will go crazy unless I lean over and give her a super fast flow. I use the My Brest Friend and sort of lean forward and slant her so that she doesn't get gassy, but I'm always so sore by the end of the feeding. Feel like a cow every time I feed her because she wants to feed like a calf  :|
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • vprod said:
    My new little lady is a beast and will go crazy unless I lean over and give her a super fast flow. I use the My Brest Friend and sort of lean forward and slant her so that she doesn't get gassy, but I'm always so sore by the end of the feeding. Feel like a cow every time I feed her because she wants to feed like a calf  :|
    Yikes, that does sound painful. Can you try sidelying?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • C25C25 member
    Anyone ever had a lo with a tongue tie? I don't know how severe but the Dr said "she has a small tongue tie" and I don't want to wait two weeks to check her weight before I figure out if it's a problem! 
  • C25 said:
    Anyone ever had a lo with a tongue tie? I don't know how severe but the Dr said "she has a small tongue tie" and I don't want to wait two weeks to check her weight before I figure out if it's a problem! 
    What's the weight been doing so far? Is nursing painful?

Can you go to a lactation consultant for a weighted feed to make sure milk transfer is good?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @c25 I would try get it looked at as soon as you can. My son had a minor one but it didn't effect us at all (no painful latch or issues with feeding) but this is something you want to nip in the bud asap if there is any sort of issue to minimize the potential for frustration or bad feeding habits to start. If it needs a quick snip - 2 of my nephews had it done with no issues and we're feeding like Champs same day :smile:

@vprod that sounds super uncomfortable mama. Can you add pillows or something under the breastfriend? Something to minimize your discomfort. Before you know it she'll be cluster feeding and you don't want to be miserable in pain! <3
  • vprodvprod member
    @longliveregina Sidelying totally works but I've fallen asleep twice already (passed out, asleep) which really freaked me out! Think we're going to have a bit of a frustrating learning curve but I'd rather be uncomfortable for a bit than have her not latch or have a different issue

@vino831 I've been folding up my pregnancy pillow basically into a pretzel to make it a bit less painful! & she's already been cluster feeding, which is fun  :| !!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @vprod  Can you start by leaning forward to get her started, then as she nurses, lean back? I start out hunching over then as he gets a good latch and starts nursing I lean back and get comfortable. 
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Nursing DOES make you super sleepy, so you want to make sure you're on a safe surface when you do it. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bump
    @BumpAdmin @BumpCaitlin @BumpJackie@BumpTara 

Can this be stickied, please?