May 2017 Moms
Options

Stupid Stuff People Have Said Now You Are Pregnant

Re: Stupid Stuff People Have Said Now You Are Pregnant

• Options
    Just yesterday at work a lady asked me if I was due any day now.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    sls said:
    Um, speaking of saying stupid things, this article does not thrill me, Bump: https://www.thebump.com/a/baby-shower-gift-ideas

"When your friend said she needed boxes and boxes of diapers, what she really meant was to go buy ANOTHER newborn toy or impractical 'cute' outfit with too many buttons on it." #Fail

Literally my daughter did not wear anything but sleepers and onesies for six months, at least.
    Oh man that was my first with the sleepers. They were easier for me than onesies and pants! Finally around 5 months daycare was like hey lady, how about pants? 

@kns1988 That tight clothes comment reminds me of one of the most surprisingly positive things I heard last time, and from my traditional and uptight grandmother of all people! She said she really admired the comfortable and fitted maternity styles these days because it was so uncomfortable and unflattering trying to hide pregnancies in giant shapeless tents in the 50s. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I read your response @mcvgal and I said NOOO that cannot be already. That person seriously knows nothing about a pregnant women's belly size.
    @WombThereItIs we did that as well LO was born end of august so as soon as it got cool he was in sleepers . Whats better than a zipper to get in and out so much better than those snaps! My mom goes one day umm joe keeps bringing nicholas in with his pjs on and I was like no mom they are not his pjs. The daycare said I could dress him in them till he started to stand so I took advantage of that during the winter months!
  • Options
    I kept DD in footed pjs until she started crawling (throughout the cold weather months). We never went anywhere so it was like why bother. Even when we went grocery shopping she was bundled up in blankets so it's not like anyone was gonna see her outfit anyway. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    "Omg you're so big!" - my mother after seeing me for the first time in 6 months. :'(
  • Options
    DD was a September kiddo so she was in those zip up or snap jammies for at least 6 months! I have no idea how I'm going to handle having a summer baby this time wardrobe wise!

• Options
    I just had an aquantince on facebook message me asking how quickly it took to get pregnant/ did I use any apps? I told her that my story was long(didn't want to get into it), gave her one app suggestion and just said start trying when you're ready with no expectations creating a baby is harder than it looks. 

She then continued to prod until I told her about my losses/story.

Today I get a facebook message from her with two articles one about a women who miscarried (not a good story) and the second was about vitamin d deficiency and autism....

why would you send those articles to a pregnant woman you don't even know much about?! 

She then ended with her perfect plan on how she wants to get pregnant on a specific day to have a specific Birthday.... as if it works like that?!
  • Options
    @Cubslove12 Ugh, she sounds like a peach. 
  • Options
    @sls YES! I always bitch about this. Ever since DS I cannot handle tv shows' portrayals of pregnant women. I frequently tell people "because of tv no one knows what a 9 months pregnant woman looks like."
  • Options
    Two people told me I "can't complain" about symptoms because it's #2 and I "wanted this." Yes, we worked hard and paid a lot of $ to get pg but I think I'm entitled to a little sympathy. Pregnancy is not all cupcakes and rainbows. 
    Ridiculous. Maybe complaining in front of people who are having fertility problems, losses, etc is not wise, but you can complain to everyone else all you want.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Two people told me I "can't complain" about symptoms because it's #2 and I "wanted this." Yes, we worked hard and paid a lot of $ to get pg but I think I'm entitled to a little sympathy. Pregnancy is not all cupcakes and rainbows. 

And besides that, wanting a child and being willing to go through a lot of shit to get one is not the same as wanting TO BE PREGNANT.
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • Options
    sls said:

And besides that, wanting a child and being willing to go through a lot of shit to get one is not the same as wanting TO BE PREGNANT.
    Though you're also still allowed to complain when they're born and they have colic, are brats, etc!

• Options
    @kat81 @sls thank you I feel validated!

really people should treat pregnant women like goddesses because really, we're growing people! Literally!
  • Options
    My friend w the first baby would always say that. You wanted this. Over and over I wanted to strangle her. I do my best to never say just wait because honestly my kid slept ttn by 4.5 m and he's never regressed so I'm lucky and maybe that mom will be lucky too
  • Options
    Other person: Omg your stomach is sticking out!

Me:  uh yeah I'm finally starting to stick out a little so I guess that's good?  

Lol.  I just look fat y'all.  I never thought someone with whom I work on occasion would celebrate my gut being pushed up and out, but she was so excited she pointed it out to everyone ;) 
  • Options
    sls said:
    roper2617 said:
    I find it so annoying when I mention how exhausted I am and mommas with babies pipe in with the whole "you don't even know exhaustion yet" speech. Yes I know, one day I will look back and laugh at my hilarious self complaining about all the sleep I'm not getting and it will seem like I was complaining about nothing because I will be going on 0 hours of sleep. I get that.  But seriously, pregnancy is kicking my ass, I'm tired and I'm sick all the time, which just makes me even more tired. Just let me have my little moment to whine, it's not like I do it 24/7.

People are dicks. Why do they feel the need to win at the game of misery? "You know what, smug mom? You win. Congrats. You are more miserable than I will ever be in my life. Hahahahaha."
    Agreed. This is so stupid. Everyone is allowed to complain when things suck compared to usual and there isn't some contest over who has it worse. Pregnancy sucks. Having a newborn sucks, too (in many ways.) And even when they sleep through the night, other things suck as they get older (also they might go from sleeping through the night to having nightmares every night). You'll hit terrible twos/threenager, school aged drama, etc. I'm doing it a third time because there are lots of really cool moments as well, and in the gestalt it is SUPER rewarding.

• Options
    @roper2617 if it makes you feel better I was less exhausted with a newborn than I was at 8 months pregnant in the middle of summer. 
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    I just had an aquantince on facebook message me asking how quickly it took to get pregnant/ did I use any apps? I told her that my story was long(didn't want to get into it), gave her one app suggestion and just said start trying when you're ready with no expectations creating a baby is harder than it looks. 

She then continued to prod until I told her about my losses/story.

Today I get a facebook message from her with two articles one about a women who miscarried (not a good story) and the second was about vitamin d deficiency and autism....

why would you send those articles to a pregnant woman you don't even know much about?! 

She then ended with her perfect plan on how she wants to get pregnant on a specific day to have a specific Birthday.... as if it works like that?!
    You have more restraint than I do. After 16 months of trying, I have no filter on educating people. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    "Your boobs have gotten really big"--MIL!!!!! You don't get to talk about my boobs!!!!

"oh wow you really are showing." Uh yeah...I'm half way through my pregnancy...again MIL

"New house...new baby." I think I hate that one the most. Stop. 
  • Options
    I was recently talking to a parent about some concerns with her child, she mentioned how she doesn't believe her child's teacher should be currently teaching. When I asked her why, she responded with her child has asked for help and she didn't help her. I quickly informed her that the teacher is EXCELLENT at staying late and being available, it most likely was a miscommunication or the teacher did not hear the student (student is often very soft spoken). I strongly urged them to email the teacher asking for help. She then said her child also told her that the teacher is pregnant with her first child and that may be why she didn't hear her.... she also doesn't think it's appropriate that the teacher will tell them if the baby is kicking. She ended with women shouldn't be teaching while pregnant, and she greatly appreciates how I'm always there for her child etc.. Basically saying how I'm a good teacher and the other isn't due to being pregnant.... 

Personally I have kept my pregnancy a secret, I'm just looking fat not pregnant. The teacher they were criticizing is only about 3 weeks ahead of me, she choose to announce at 13 weeks to her class and is definitely looking pregnant. I didn't know what to say, I just reassured her that the teacher is excellent and very capable regardless of being pregnant. 
  • Options
    roper2617roper2617 member
    edited December 2016
    My MIL just recently told me that I'm really big for 4 months. Then I told her that's probably because I am 5 months and she said "still, I was that size at 8 months when I was pregnant with DH". I was like ummmm, first of all you're a lot taller than me, and second DH was only 4lbs! Then she was like yeah I guess I was under a lot of stress when I was pregnant for him. Urg. Face palm. Anyway, then comes my appointment with my midwife yesterday who confirms that I am in fact measuring a couple weeks ahead. Lol Damn it! 

ETA: @Cubslove12 Seriously??? What the heck! I mean I will gladly take a leave while pregnant(ha! Wouldn't that be nice-for non medical reasons of course), but that doesn't mean women can't work while pregnant. It's 2016 for crying out loud! 
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 26 DH: 28  
    TTC #1 since 06/2014
    BFP #1 09/23/15. MMC discovered 11/24/2015
    BFP #2 08/24/16 EDD 05/08/17

• Options
    kns1988 said:
    Bringing this back to the front page for a gem I got yesterday. Luckily, it was a friend of mine who just happens to be a little ditzy. 

Friend: "Omg, what's it like having a belly?! You're usually so skinny!"
    Me: "Well, I usually like it..."
    Friend: *whispering* "Omg, how do you shower?"
    Me: "...the normal way?"
    I don't even understand the implication here... Is it because you're bigger? Like, how do you reach everything? I must be missing something.
  • Options
    @kayemjay2 I've had a few people tell me I MUST be having a girl bc I'm gaining all over. I was already overweight and had previously lost tons of weight. I am having a girl. None of that makes me feel "glowy..." I feel your pain!
  • Options
    @mcvgal That's the worst! I had someone say to me yesterday, "You must be eight months, right?" I'm 19 weeks. :(
  • Options
    Coworker I rarely see due to our schedules: "It mustn't  be too much longer now..."

Me: "I'm only about half way there..." while looking at her like she's a jerk. 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    I have gotten countless... COUNTLESS... "well you chose to do this" comments while in the office this week. It's insane. 

To be clear im not bitching up a storm or bitching at all! My office is really young and still in the hooooly shit babies would ruin my life right now phase so I shrugged off the first few but wtf, people? 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    After announcing we're having a girl, hubby received a text from a friend (who recently divorced his wife and has custody of their kids):

"Congratulations! Little girls bond well and are deeply affected by their fathers. Moms have little to no affect."

What?! Why would you text that? I so wanted to punch this dude.