December 2016 Moms

All Things Feeding

Sinve we've had questions in all different threads I thought this would be a good place to keep it all together? So any type of feeding discussion/questions...

My question for tonight is what are you bf moms sleeping in? Can I go braless? I typically wear a sleep nursing bra (kinda like a sports bra) but I only have the one and am sick of it because I usually end up wearing it all day too if I don't go anywhere. Although I hadn't been leaking anymore, but now I am again so not sure going without anything will work. 

Re: All Things Feeding

• jennbaylor12jennbaylor12 member
    edited December 2016
    Oh thank goodness. I've been thinking of starting this thread but couldn't think of what to call it. Let's make it weekly and let's go!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My leaking has been super bad, I usually wear a stretchy sleep nursing bra or a tank top with a shelf bra built in so I can wear my nursing pads. I went without anything one night and the sheets and my shirt were absolutely soaked in just a couple of hours. I was actually sad about how much milk had been wasted. :(
  • Loading the player...
  • I have three sleep nursing bras and I wear them 24/7.  I usually don't leak too bad, only if it's been about 4 hours and DS hasn't nursed.  I'm going to try to hold off on buying nicer nursing bras until I go back to work.  I don't think I'd be comfortable sleeping without a bra.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• I have been sleeping without a bra but my nipples are so sore! I need to figure this out too thanks for asking the question! 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• I'm still in the recliner as I want to cry thinking about laying flat still (RCS on 12/5) so I go braless. I do leak some though. I will put a sleep bra on soon for regular sleeping 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • I have to have the support of a wired bra

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Im wearing an easy to pull up bralette with nursing pads. All the time... but i have always worn a bra to bed. I'm weird. I tried a nursing bra the other day and will prob move to that when my bralettes are all in the wash :)

• @leksiL look up medela soft shells!! I used last time ( and have ready for this time!) They really help give the nips a break and some air

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm living in my nursing tanks. During the day I throw a long sleeve on over it. At night I sleep in it. I use leakage pads 24/7 and change my shirt every other day  (I only have 2 right now but will buy more todsy). But...I was a B cup before so my boobs aren't that big. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Random: Watching while pumping I've noticed my right boob shoots straight. My left...is drunk and shoots straight UP! 

• I have crazy shooters from both sides. I'm always amused and make DH come look lol.
  • Me too @cgss11 haha! Glad its not just me  

• I will look those up @Toller thanks! Last night I leaked like crazy for the first time it got everywhere!!

we had a really right night last night and are going to try the bassinet instead of cosleeping. Hopefully we both get some sleep!
    Married Jan 2008 

• Is anyone else having quantity issues? I delivered 12/1 and thought I would be a milk machine by now and I'm not. I feel like my boobs may fall off! I have been reading and trying everything-eating oatmeal, drinking massive amounts of water, pumping after nursing, pumping while nursing. What am I missing? I get engorged after a few hours and if I pump I'm only getting 2 oz or so. I am now breast feeding and then giving her a bottle of formula bc she isn't satisfied. I feel like I am spending my whole day nursing, pumping and warming formula bottles! This is the 1st time I've breast fed with a baby so it's all new. Anyone else having this or have any suggestions?
  • @maamawaabangi both my doula and my lc said no pumping the first month. I did a few bottles due to engorgement issues and dh really loved feeding her so it is too bad but we are trying to EBF too. 

@ava is your baby not gaining weight? What makes you feel like you are having a supply issue? My gf had one and had to supplement with formula but eventually everything worked out hope the same goes for you!
    Married Jan 2008 

• Good to hear the tip on not pumping for a month -- I was still undecided what to do. I'll be staying at home with the baby, and I don't intend to introduce a bottle until the magic 6ish week mark (obviously my plans could change here!), but I do want my husband to be able to feed baby, and to have a bit of a stash for babysitters/nights out.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • The only reason I'm pumping is because DD couldn't swallow at birth and still struggles. 3 LC couldn't figure it out and the pediatrician said she may figure out how to suck but probably not BF. So I'm pumping/supplementing for now. Not sure what will happen when I go back to work. My original plan was to nurse until then...not sure if it changes now or not. 

• @sourlemon for sure... there are many great reasons to pump or formula feed and the best is that it's what baby needs.  <3

Due December 27th with baby #7

• @maamawaabangi I wasn't trying to be defensive, just stating the reason I'm pumping..I don't want people seeing my pumping posts and think they must pump too if they are successfully breastfeeding. If I could BF I totally would because pumping kinda sucks. Especially with visitors...I have to go close myself off in a different room and it's kinda awkward. Such is the cards we were handed this time...and luckily visitors leave Thursday! 

• Gizmo1231 said:
    I'm still in the recliner as I want to cry thinking about laying flat still (RCS on 12/5) so I go braless. I do leak some though. I will put a sleep bra on soon for regular sleeping 
    I have also been sleeping on a recliner. It just makes life easier for now. I don't go braless, I wear a comfy lazy sports type bra. But sometimes I fall asleep while feeding and my baby is just hugging my naked boob like it's his teddy bear. I've leaked on both of us when it happens. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Sooo , I got a hands free nursing bra. Awesome. But how do you use it? Wear it instead of another bra? Then your nips are always hanging out. Wear it over another bra/nursing bra? Awkward. Take another bra off first? Inconvenient. Wear it by itself but with nursing pads over the nips? I'm at a loss 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • TollerToller member
    edited December 2016
    @jennbaylor12 most of them you wear just for the pumping session- either over a nursing bra (with the flaps pulled down) or in place of bra. For most of them anyway- some may be made to be worn as a bra too- which one did you get?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jennbaylor12 do you mean for pumping? I have the kind that's strapless and zips up the middle but I only put it on to pump. I hike up my shirt, take down my nursing bra clips, then put it on.

if it's pullover style, I can see how it would be weird. I would probably just wear it alone with nursing pads. I think. I really recommend the strapless kind though. I got mine from Target, by Lanisoh.
  • jennbaylor12jennbaylor12 member
    edited December 2016
    @cgss11 @Toller @ea301 - I got the strapless one that zips up the middle by Medela. Just seems weird to wear a nursing bra, undo the flaps then zip on a pumping bra over it but I guess that's what I'm gonna do. Thanks!

***Edited to add: I think I may try wearing it overnight with pads in it for leakage purposes. Much simpler for sleepy in the dark activities***
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LO strongly prefers my left side to right.  I think it's mostly a positional thing but of course it leads to my right becoming engorged so then it's harder for him to feed.  I've been hand expressing the milk and that has helped somewhat.  He also will sometimes feed in a football hold.  Any other ideas?
  • @penelope4612 I had this exact same problem. I started pumping the right one to get rid of the engorgement, and then I just started forcing him to try to right one after that. It has taken a long time to get him ok with the right since he was so used to only eating off the left one, but persistence has helped. 
  • I agree with @Lisa3379 - just keep at it, as he gets stronger, it will become less of an issue- you definitely don't want a baby that will only eat off one side ( for your comfort and health). Keep playing with positions too! It will click 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So we pumped right away to start building my stash before I go back to work and like @cgss11 we haven't had problems establishing a supply. I did this with DS1 too. Try different routines for pumping and feeding and see what works best for your LO
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • My question is: does anyone's LO have extreme gas? He's EBF so I'm trying to figure out if it's me giving him the gas or if he's just a gassy baby. Yesterday was the first day he seemed bothered by it
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Re: hands free pumping bra, I am trying to make my own by cutting holes in a sports bra I bought at Walmart. I will likely wear pads with it when I am wearing it and not nursing.  I'm hoping this works cuz I don't REALLY want to spend money on a hands free pumping bra.
  • @penelope4612 Have you tried laying down on your side and latching your LO to the more engorged breast? I found with my DS that for some reason that angle worked really well to have him fully empty the breast that tended to stay full longer. Just a thought. 

• Thanks @Lisa3379 @Toller we will keep at it.  It's nice to have some hope that it's worth the fight.  He just get so so upset sometimes when he can't latch right away.  @acreight13 - I tried it once and it didn't go well but I will try again.  What he likes changes by the hour.  I could really use the break if he will eat while I'm lying down.  
  • @Gizmo1231 yes mine has horrible gas. We are about 70% BM 30% formula so I'm not sure which is causing it. My first was also incredibly gassy. We've already started gas drops! 

• @penelope4612 the first time I tried to nurse LO while side lying it didn't go well. I honestly think he was just too small. We tried again last night and he was able to latch on one side but not the other. It was so nice to lie all the way down, even if it was just for a little bit. Keep trying!
  • I really want to try side lying but i'm afraid of squishing her and also laying on my side still hurts from having a cesarean. I am going to continue the pumping 1x/day.

I did go to a LLL meeting today and they educated me on how to feed a newborn a bottle which is good because we were doing it wrong, DH gave her 3 oz last night which was way too much. Apparently, you have to have the baby sitting straight up and hold bottle at a 90 degree angle (parallel to floor), so that they have to actually suck to get the milk out. 

I am feeling better today since DH took a turn feeding so I was able to get 3-4 hours of sleep at once, but now am having nipple problems, from having them stick directly to bra, with skin coming off when I take it off. so now I'm shirtless again with the lanolin asking WTF am I doing this for?? Good thing I have DH or I would have given up on BF by now it is so much harder than I thought it would be. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksil have you tried nursing pads?  They might prevent the sticking.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Is there a specific ratio of things I should be eating for BF (pumping)? I bought yogurt as my 3am snack instead of a little Debbie's brownie...but I'm kinda clueless for meals and overall diet. 

Also, is it normal to have a day of awesome production (2.5-3oz per pump total) then a day of barely anything (1-1.5oz per pump total)?