December 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Feeding

Re: All Things Feeding

• Options
    I pump every time she eats. Which right now is 3-4 hours during the day, and 6-8 at night.

this last week, to make sure I have can keep up, I have started to get into the schedule I'll have at work. Since my lunch is ~20 min and I only have one prep period, I can pump 5-6 am, 1:30pm, 4 pm, then regularly over night.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    My lo slept 6 hours last night! Therefore it was 6 hours between pumping. Shockingly my boobs didn't hurt like they did last week when I went 6 hours on accident. Now I'm worried I won't have even close to enough for today. 

I'm not even pumping everything she eats the next day...no idea how I'll ever get ahead of her and start freezing anything! I'm producing about 75% of her average intake. :( 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sourlemon have you done any power pumping sessions? If your sanity can handle it, maybe throw in an extra pump during the day (Even if you don't get much?) 

I'm able to make enough for my twins right now, but things seem to be leveling out and I know they'll start eating more per session soon, so I'm still trying to keep production going up...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am going on my 11th week EPing and still doing 8 pumps a day. This is usually every 2.5-3 hours with the occasional 4 or 5 hour stretch for sleep. Hoping to be able to drop a pump soon and not lose supply. I make about 28-30 ounces a day and have roughly 300 ounces frozen. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I made sure to set my alarm last night to pump even though the baby slept 6 hours. I have that alarm set to go every 3 hours now but one will get thrown off today cuz we are going to star wars. 

I've not done any power pumping yet. I probably need to but it's been hard to get both kids calm for long enough. The toddler must always have daddy's attention and the baby only naps being held. The past few days have been rough! And my supply dipped. Was getting 24 oz regularly but the past few days dropped to 22 then 19 where I'm stuck. 

• Options
    Power pumping definitely seems like a good option, but you do need that chunk of time/a good amount of energy for it!

I have noticed my LO does better when I have pumped within 1-2 hours prior to trying to BF him (less fussiness, less vomiting, falls asleep more easily). Maybe it reduces the flow a bit and helps slow him down? I think I am just going to have to start pumping more frequently!
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

• Options
    Currently my lo only comfort nurses. For real food she seems to know she doesn't get enough so won't latch. For bedtime or when she's just upset, she latches great and will use me as a paci until I stop her. Babies are weird.

• Options
    @silverfrost that will likely give you an oversupply. The more you empty, the more you will make.

@sourlemon Any time on the nipple should stimulate more production. Hopefully it helps you get back up to where you were.

• Options
    The LC at the hospital set up a "pump colostrum and use donor milk" 3 hour schedule since Steggy was having a hard time latching. Now that she figured out how to nurse she just wants to eat from me for 5-10 minutes every hourish. I feel terrible not just nursing her for 5 minutes and then letting her be until she needs more (and boy does she let me know when that is!)

I'm stuck here at least a few more days from my PPH, hoping to meet with a different LC tomorrow who will tell me to ditch the original plan.
  • Options
    It gets easier, right? When? LO is 13 days old today. Any words of advice for a super tired EBF FTM?
  • Options
    I am going on my 11th week EPing and still doing 8 pumps a day. This is usually every 2.5-3 hours with the occasional 4 or 5 hour stretch for sleep. Hoping to be able to drop a pump soon and not lose supply. I make about 28-30 ounces a day and have roughly 300 ounces frozen. 
    Now that is impressive!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    I power pump ( try to every few days for 2 days in a row) from 9-10pm. So after DD is in bed and right after DD2 eats and theoretically is sleeping/or with DH. Me and DH set up in bed and watch a TV show or 3 and I just pump.

My supply just took a dip too- i slept in too long of stretches yesterday so now I'm paying for it- gah. I'm 18 days pp.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My supply has had dips and rises too. Once I stopped EP'ing, my supply dipped pretty significantly from the extreme oversupply I was having. Then I wasn't making enough to EBF, so I had to supplement with formula after BFing, but now it seems for the most part it's starting to even out. It's just a crazy process. BFing is a hard thing, and I try not to obsess about my supply although it is hard sometimes. Selfishly I'd like to BF as long as I can so I can continue to slim down (FFFC).

Also, I thought I was pounding a ton of water every day, but the other day I had another AWFUL PP poop. It was like I was back in the hospital. Thought I was going to die. >.< Seriously underestimated how dehydrated BFing can make you!!
  • Options
    @dmontgo try drinking enough water so you are peeing every 3 hrs. If you don't have the urge to pee every 3, drink more. :) 

• Options
    Is anyone else BF or pumping despite a very low supply? I feel like I read a few posts in another thread (can't find them now) of ladies who saw lactation and discovered a low supply issue... With all three of my kids I've had very low supply due to what I found out to be hypoplastic breasts. Tried all the tricks and tips and it doesn't help my make more. So I'm not asking for tips to increase my supply, just wondering if anyone else is hanging on to BF but on the fence of stopping.

Based on weighed feeds and how much I pump, I'm producing anywhere from 10-30ml (1/3-1oz) total per feeding/pump. DS is eating 90-120ml (3-4oz) per feeding. I'm still nursing or pumping 4-5 times a day and for such a little amount it's pretty discouraging. BUT since DS1 has a severe food allergy is allergy doc recommended I give DS2 breast milk as long as possible. Says it can sometimes make a difference in how babies develop allergies oe
    not. (??) I know BM is awesome and has so much good stuff and even a little is helpful, but FF and BF/pumping is so much work for only 2-4oz per day :( between the actual feedings, washing everything, etc. I just don't know how much longer I really want to hold on to it. We dont have family in town so I'm on my own during the days and some nights when DH works late. I'm barely eating down days and definitely not drinking enough but I seriously have no time to bc of three munchkins to take care of plus cooking, cleaning, DD's school pick up etc. But I also have the mom guilt going on too and feel like I need to keep going with the breastmilk bc it may help him not have issues like DS1. Anyone else feel like this or relate?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Kate08Young That is true. I wonder if pumping for just a few minutes (3-4) prior to breastfeeding would be enough to relieve some of the pressure but not cause TOO much of an oversupply. Hmm. He really does do better when I pump beforehand. Otherwise.... oh-so-cranky. Poo.
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

• Options
    maamawaabangimaamawaabangi member
    edited December 2016
    @PharmDMom
    I don't have answers for you about EP or what you ought to do given what circumstances you have, but just want to encourage you that you taking care of you is also you taking care of your children. Having had 3 ... 3 and under (several
    years ago) and soon to be 7 under 11 I know it's easy to fall into thinking you need to put them first... but it's faulty logic. Put your oxygen mask on first and know that they will benefit from having a well mama. Maybe lowering some expectations in house cleaning or asking foe help with school pick ups are a way to get more time to do what you care about... plus, it's a season... you can always undo any "bad habits" (freezer foods, tv vegging... what ever
    that is for you) or get back on top of cleaning in a month or two. But, if you run yourself into the ground trying to maintain status quo you will likely pay a high interest rate. 
    hugs and know you're in my thoughts! 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Options
    @slartybartfast - my LO does that often.  Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    @silverfrost lots of ladies who have a fast let do just that. The pump the edge off, then let LO go to town.

• Options
    I just had LO on 12/21 and while I planned on BF, things didn't turn out quite as I hoped and the stress of an already low-birth weight baby coupled with quite a bit of weight loss in the first few days got the conversation flowing with my husband about switching to formula. It was his preference and obviously a lower stress option for our family, but I also can't seem to shake the feeling that I've failed my baby in some way. My sister and I were both formula fed as well as my husband and his brother and we are all healthy, intelligent, well-adjusted adults so NBD in the long run, I just think hormones are in overdrive for me.  :'(
  • Options
    @maamawaabangi Thank you! You're right- if I'm stressed and too busy then I'm not going to be as good of a mommy to my kids. I'm an extremely type A person and also a clean freak so that influences how I deal with all of this. I definitely need to evaluate how I'm balancing things and decide whether it's good for everyone that I keep going or not. 

@silverfrost I totally agree that spending tons of time hooked up to a pump is not something I'm willing to do. My DS seems satisfies with bottles and formula and I know he is growing well. I'm sorry that your supply dropped off but I'm glad your DD is happy and healthy! And I definitely won't be pumping when I go back to work either.  For 1-2 oz it's not worth it for me. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Power pumping in the car right now. We are taking the kids to the zoo (90 minutes away) so what else is there to do in terms car?!?

• Options
    Postpartum Horomones are a bitch. FTM here and I've never in my life experienced such an emotional roller coaster ride like I have in the past two weeks. This puts PMS to shame! But it's all good because I have a loving supporting husband and family, we will get through it! 
  • Options
    Any STMs out there dealt with GERD or reflux in their LO's this early on? DS got diagnosed with it this morning. His normal pediatrician is on vacation this week,  so we had to see a different doc, and he wants me to start putting rice cereal in DS's bottles to help thicken the formula so it will coat his stomach better. I'm questioning now if this is typical treatment for GERD/reflux. Doc said he didn't want to start DS on medicine tet, due to possible side effects. Should I seek out another opinion? Do the cereal for a week until our normal pedi comes back? DS isn't losing weight, so I'm worried the cereal will make him chunk up faster than he already is. 
  • Options
    @Mamax2 DS1  was diagnosed with reflux about six months of age and went straight on Nexium. We haven't had a problem since . The idea of thickening bottles this early would concern me. I would probably seek out another opinion before starting . 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    Did anyone bother to bring their pump to the hospital as a way to start encouraging a good supply right away? Or is the stay just short enough that it's not worth it, since full milk flow takes a few days? Just wondering if it's worth it to put in the hospital bag...

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
  • Options
    Any magic tricks for waking sleepy nursers? We're feeding in diaper only. I still have to touch/tickle every 30 seconds or so to rewake. And the same tickle spots only work so long. Eventually I just have to sit him up until he's mad and start over. Any secret techniques?
  • Options
    @littlebirdie28 - I wouldn't bother bringing it.  Your LO latching will encourage a good supply much more than the breast pump will.  I personally found everything going on the hospital to be a little overwhelming and wouldn't have wanted one more thing to do.  If for some reason you need to pump while you're there they have the hospital grade pumps for you to use and those are probably better than your home pump anyway.
  • Options
    @littlebirdie28 - I wouldn't bother bringing it.  Your LO latching will encourage a good supply much more than the breast pump will.  I personally found everything going on the hospital to be a little overwhelming and wouldn't have wanted one more thing to do.  If for some reason you need to pump while you're there they have the hospital grade pumps for you to use and those are probably better than your home pump anyway.
    ^This :smile:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tinattt23 said:
    Any magic tricks for waking sleepy nursers? We're feeding in diaper only. I still have to touch/tickle every 30 seconds or so to rewake. And the same tickle spots only work so long. Eventually I just have to sit him up until he's mad and start over. Any secret techniques?
    Have you tried a cool, damp washcloth? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tinattt23 said:
    I would use a baby wipe on her (naked). It was still a battle though.
  • Options
    PharmDMomPharmDMom member
    edited December 2016
    @Mamax2 My DS1 had super severe reflux (got a feeding tube eventually bc of it). I would absolutely not thicken bottles with rice at this age. I'm guessing your LO is FF? If so, a change in what type would be the absolute first recommendation. Sticking with that for a week or two and then possibly trying another. DS1 was eventually on Alimentum. If you're giving pumped milk, elimination diets are key for helping determine what is upsetting their bellies. DS1's GI pedi doesn't think most babies reflux for no reason. She feels it is an intolerance to something in mom's diet or formula. So finding the right diet for mom or formula is the key for resolving it. Instead of masking it with meds or thickening bottles. 

As a pharmacist and parent, after any formula or dietary issues in mom are addressed, I would definitely start with Zantac vs thickening bottles. The side effects are almost none unless a kid is on it for years which may alter their absorption of certain minerals etc. Some kids need Nexium or Prilosec instead. That is something that you don't want them on for long (same reasons) but CAN be helpful for short term.

Seriously DS1's reflux changed our whole lives. He ended up being allergic to corn (which is in almost every infant formula) by we didn't find out until way too late. I basically tried everything in the world to help/resolve infant GERD so although I'm not a physician, I am pretty well versed on the subject! 

edited to change can't to can- major typo!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @littlebirdie28 I would bring it just in case. DS1 was jaundice and needed supplemental feedings which I was able to do with pumped colostrum instead of formula. DS2 wasn't jaundice and it sat in the car but I brought it just in case!
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    @Gizmo1231 and @PharmDMom thanks for your input. Yes, DS is FF. He is currently on Gerber Soothe, which is their version of Similac Sensitive. He started on normal  Similac,  then was switched to normal Gerber, then to Gerber soothe because of these issues. I do have a call in for a 2nd opinion. I obviously want to do what is best for LO, I just never dealt with this with DD.  
  • Options
    DD is fighting me for a lot of feedings the past few days.  She gets fussy, screaming at me, etc. for an hour or more at a time.  I have been pumping 2x a day, morning and bedtime, after feedings because I am ready to explode.  
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016.