December 2015 Moms

Formula feeding

1234568»

Re: Formula feeding

• Not sure, but it's a lot. I'm going to keep track for a couple of days this weekend so that I'll have something to tell his doctor at his 4 month appt on Tuesday.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• The other piece of the puzzle is that my girl won't always take 4.5 oz or whatever each feeding. She will sometimes only take 2. Then it's the great debate about offering more in an hour or waiting until next feeding. Selfishly I want a real schedule! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I usually start with 4 oz and then 2oz more if he's still hungry. He's starting to eat a full 6 oz sometimes.

Jamie

• Lucas eats 34-38 oz per day. He was 4 months on the 14th and weighs a little over 17lbs. He eats 4-6oz bottles each time, and still gets up once a night to eat.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • LO has 5 bottles of 5oz each daily, so 25 oz in a 24 hr period. She's 16 weeks. 

• I tracked DD's intake one day and it was 30 oz. She's 4.5 months old. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Leo is 4 months old and weighs a little over 16 pounds. He eats 6 oz every 3/4 hours with one 6 oz bottle in the night. He goes to bed at 8pm after his last bottle and gets up for the day about 6:30/7am. 

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Griffin is 18w and he takes 5oz at each feeding.  His night feeding is a 4oz bottle. We are going to up his intake to 6oz tomorrow, because we think he's ready for more.  He only weighs 11-12lbs.  We have his 4mo appointment on Tuesday, so I'll know exactly then. So right now, he gets between 28-30 oz. a day. 
  • Any reason to think I should switch from Gentlease to regular formula if LO is doing ok on it? Sounds like an odd question but I don't want to give her a weak tummy or anything for no reason. Maybe I'm overthinking and not try to fix something that isn't broke. 
  • millieb14 said:
    Any reason to think I should switch from Gentlease to regular formula if LO is doing ok on it? Sounds like an odd question but I don't want to give her a weak tummy or anything for no reason. Maybe I'm overthinking and not try to fix something that isn't broke. 
    millieb14 said:
    Any reason to think I should switch from Gentlease to regular formula if LO is doing ok on it? Sounds like an odd question but I don't want to give her a weak tummy or anything for no reason. Maybe I'm overthinking and not try to fix something that isn't broke. 
    Yep I would say overthinking it. I would leave her on it and then do reg milk when she's a year!
  • Tracked DS's food yesterday. He had 41 oz between 1:30am and 10pm. He's 16 lbs and 26 inches. Doctor said they usually cap formula consumption at 36 oz (not sure why) but that he's long and lean, so we can keep doing what we're doing. We had his 4 month appt today. 

Jamie

• I need to start tracking again, because she eats 3-4oz every 2 hours still but she's hardly gained any weight. We were having a few weight gain issues and finally she had gotten up to 10lbs last month,  her 4 month is coming up on the May 2nd but we had ended up going in about a week ago for a different reason and she only gained 1lb. I was so hoping she would have weighed around 13lbs. She's a small baby in general so I'm hoping to see good growth on the chart on the 2nd 
  • redfallon said:
    Tracked DS's food yesterday. He had 41 oz between 1:30am and 10pm. He's 16 lbs and 26 inches. Doctor said they usually cap formula consumption at 36 oz (not sure why) but that he's long and lean, so we can keep doing what we're doing. We had his 4 month appt today. 
    I've never heard the capping formula consumption. My doc's office says up to 40oz a day is completely normal.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Zoe's 4 month checkup was today as well and the doc informed me of the 36oz cap. She eats 4oz every 2-3 hours so I guess we're meeting the cap? Idk. I'll track her tomorrow.
  • I hadn't heard of a cap, either. I go by the estimate of 2.5 x baby weight, so he's right on track with that. I need to find one of the articles that mentions that because there is probably a certain point where that isn't true anymore. 

Jamie

• I read somewhere that the cap was 32 oz. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I need to start tracking again, because she eats 3-4oz every 2 hours still but she's hardly gained any weight. We were having a few weight gain issues and finally she had gotten up to 10lbs last month,  her 4 month is coming up on the May 2nd but we had ended up going in about a week ago for a different reason and she only gained 1lb. I was so hoping she would have weighed around 13lbs. She's a small baby in general so I'm hoping to see good growth on the chart on the 2nd 
    Some of it may just be genetics. They all grow and gain at their own pace. Back with DS, though, he was struggling to gain weight for a while and they had us mix his formula a little stronger. So we'd do hard packed scoops of powder plus add about half a scoop per 4 Oz of water.
  • I'm hoping most of it is genetics. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the pedi says, but I don't think she will recommend making the formula stronger only because she's already got pretty solid poops that have given her tears =\ so now she has oatmeal twice a day and we try to get in 6oz of pear juice a day but lately she's been stubborn about the juice. It's softened up a bit but because she's on the soy I know it makes constipation more of an issue. We had to stop the suppositories because that was the only way she was able to poo lol poor girl 
  • Mizuiro007Mizuiro007 member
    edited April 2016
    @beccabeeee Goodness. Poor baby. Hopefully they can figure something out that will help better.

ETA I think about the time we started mixing the formula stronger he was on purees so we gave prunes every day.
  • We have LO's 4 month wellness visit and shots tomorrow and I'll ask about the cap as well. I kept up with his intake twice this week and he has had around 35-40 oz in a 24 hour period.
  • @Mizuiro007 We switched to a different juice and started with puréed bananas, and with the oatmeal it evens out. She finally goes comfortably now and more often which is great! 
  • Is there a formula equivalent to Kelly Mom? I'm producing about 6 oz a day in the 11 hours I'm away from DD, so she's getting more formula and I'm feeling clueless.
  • I wondered that too and I know there is some calculation of baby's weight multiplied by 2.5 ounces for their daily intake. But after seeing what my daughter takes and others on here I think it's totally dependent upon the baby. My daughter takes anywhere from 20-28 ounces a day. She's 4.5 months and weighs about 15 pounds. She's been at this amount for quite some time, even when we were combining formula and breastmilk. I would start with the kellymom recommendation for breastmilk then go from there with formula. You can always give more. 
  • @mhuber223 I found Similac's website helpful with DS. That's the closest that I know of. I seem to remember they have a board moderated by nurses but it's been long enough I can't quite remember.
  • I ONLY formula fed. Breastfeeding was not for me. I felt bad at first and my doctor said that if Im not happy, babies not happy. I wouldn't change a thing now. Breastfeeding is not for everyone. 
  • I ONLY formula fed. Breastfeeding was not for me. I felt bad at first and my doctor said that if Im not happy, babies not happy. I wouldn't change a thing now. Breastfeeding is not for everyone. 
    So, is there a question? ...