December 2015 Moms

Formula feeding

Re: Formula feeding

• @KRH6829 omg I typed it without even thinking how it would sound to others. From Minnesota. :) 
    Haha...I live in MN, but am originally from the east coast. I had never heard oofda until I moved here. I met my husband here and he says it all of the time...I'm sure that my son and daughter will just grow up saying it!
  • @kdoak2015 sams club formula for the win...huuuge container for $24. Hoping he slows down soon though. He was 12lbs as his 2 month appointment but eats WAY more now so I know he's gaining weight like crazy.

Now I'm paranoid.....am I feeding him TOO much? He always finishes his bottles (or leaves 0.5oz every now & then) and when he shows signs of hunger I feed him! Is there such a thing as stretching baby's stomach too quickly by over feeding them? He never spits up either...maybe he's just going through a phase...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • kdoak2015kdoak2015 member
    edited March 2016
    @kdoak2015 sams club formula for the win...huuuge container for $24. Hoping he slows down soon though. He was 12lbs as his 2 month appointment but eats WAY more now so I know he's gaining weight like crazy.

Now I'm paranoid.....am I feeding him TOO much? He always finishes his bottles (or leaves 0.5oz every now & then) and when he shows signs of hunger I feed him! Is there such a thing as stretching baby's stomach too quickly by over feeding them? He never spits up either...maybe he's just going through a phase...
    We are on Costco formula so it's similar like $20 bucks for s big tub also. I always follow my babies ques and if he's hungry feed him. DD spits up and always has so we have to feed her less more often. I think come 6 months it really doesn't matter what we did with them in the beginning. I originally wanted to ebf but it didn't happen so now I've accepted formula and love that our DD is thriving and gaining well. Come solid time I'll forget all that.
  • My little boy is 12 weeks old and drinking 4 oz every 3 hours during the day with an 8 hour stretch of sleep in the night. He's about 13.5 lbs I'd say. 
  • LO is having 4.5 oz. during the day and his 2 nighttime feedings (11:30/midnight and 3/4am) he gets 4.  We are hoping to start weening the 2 nightly feedings down to 3.5.  He eats about 6 times a day now.  He may eat 7, but the last few days it's been 6.  He's been going anywhere from 3.5-5 hours in between feedings.  
  • Any of you ladies have your LO on Alimentum powder? If so, what would you consider a normal BM? My LO is on this for suspected milk protein sensitivity and lately I wonder if his BM are normal. I also am not sure he is gaining enough weight on this but he won't eat any more (12 weeks old, eats 24oz a day and was 6lb 6oz at birth).  
  • missaero said:
    Any of you ladies have your LO on Alimentum powder? If so, what would you consider a normal BM? My LO is on this for suspected milk protein sensitivity and lately I wonder if his BM are normal. I also am not sure he is gaining enough weight on this but he won't eat any more (12 weeks old, eats 24oz a day and was 6lb 6oz at birth).  
    I breastfeed and supplement and my LO was on Neutramigen (similar to Alimentum) for about a month.  She hated it, would literally spit it out.  I worried about her not gaining enough weight also.  24 oz sounds pretty average though.  Not sure on the BM part of your question.  I remember my girl maybe having darker stools.  I think she was going about 1 or 2 times a day then and it was fairly runny.  
  • missaero said:
    Any of you ladies have your LO on Alimentum powder? If so, what would you consider a normal BM? My LO is on this for suspected milk protein sensitivity and lately I wonder if his BM are normal. I also am not sure he is gaining enough weight on this but he won't eat any more (12 weeks old, eats 24oz a day and was 6lb 6oz at birth).  
    Because Alimentum is a partly broken down formula, stools will probably be loose/runny for the most part. Expect them to be softer than if LO was on typical formula.  DS is on Nutramigen, which is Enfamil's version of Alimentum. My LO is 12w today and he eats about 27-28 oz a day.  He's getting 4.5 oz. at each feeding and is eating about 6 times a day. Somedays he eats 7 times. He was 5.1. at birth (born 6w early) and now probably weighs about 10.5-11 lbs. 
  • Does anyone know if Sam's Clubs orange brand of formula is the same as similac sensitive? They look almost identical.
  • No I haven't but I think that's the point(for it to look the same). We use Costco lactose free. 
  • We still buy the similac sensitive at SAMs club. Generic formula just makes me unsure. I know similac, so we stick to that. 
  • We use Sam's Club purple (gentle) and we love it. DS had no problem transitioning from Gerber gentlease to that.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary
  • ammnam14 said:
    Does anyone know if Sam's Clubs orange brand of formula is the same as similac sensitive? They look almost identical.
    I think it is pretty similiar. I used it with ds1 and he was fine on it. With this lo he did not do well on it. It is a little grainy which makes it harder to mix. It just isn't as smooth as the similac. 

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• This is my first time posting in the formula thread. I was curious if any of you ladies switched from milk based formula to soy based formula and noticed a difference? My DD was having some weight gain issues and projectile vomit but since switching shes finally gaining and hardly ever throws up anymore. 
  • This is my first time posting in the formula thread. I was curious if any of you ladies switched from milk based formula to soy based formula and noticed a difference? My DD was having some weight gain issues and projectile vomit but since switching shes finally gaining and hardly ever throws up anymore. 
    I haven't gone to soy, but I've had to switch formulas several times because of spitups. Some of the ones that worked for spitups then caused constipation. So it's been tricky. Trying out Similac Sensitive non-GMO now, which seems to be working out. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• redfallon said:
    This is my first time posting in the formula thread. I was curious if any of you ladies switched from milk based formula to soy based formula and noticed a difference? My DD was having some weight gain issues and projectile vomit but since switching shes finally gaining and hardly ever throws up anymore. 
    I haven't gone to soy, but I've had to switch formulas several times because of spitups. Some of the ones that worked for spitups then caused constipation. So it's been tricky. Trying out Similac Sensitive non-GMO now, which seems to be working out. 
    I was going to say that from what I've read on here, that many women say their LO's experienced constipation on soy based formulas, so be careful.  Also, Similac makes a formula specifically for spit-up.  It's in a green container.  It's only 2-3$ more than some of the more basic Similac formulas.  Friends of ours have their son on that, because he was projectile vomiting everywhere.  He did really good on it.  Just in case you end up with issues on the soy formula, it may be worth looking into as well.
  • She's been doing great on the soy. unfortunately she was constipated well before starting the soy, it's finally getting back to normal though. Our pedi recommended starting juice 2-3 times a day because her poop was so hard and hurt to push that she screamed and cried.  
  • @beccabeeee my guy is on soy. He is never constipated. He does so well on it! I'm so thankful it's an option
  • What do you momma's do for feeding your little ones when you're out and about during the day...like shopping or something? Do you make bottles and keep in a cooler? Take formula and some water and then mix together when baby gets hungry? FTM here and not sure what the best way to do this is.
  • ErinKimm said:
    What do you momma's do for feeding your little ones when you're out and about during the day...like shopping or something? Do you make bottles and keep in a cooler? Take formula and some water and then mix together when baby gets hungry? FTM here and not sure what the best way to do this is.

Stuck in the box.

It really depends on how long I'll be gone. I bought a 3 compartment formula dispenser at BRU for like $4. I'll fill up 3 bottles with 4oz of water. Then fill up the dispenser with 2 scoops in each container. Obviously fill it up to your babies needs, DD drinks 4oz. If I'll be gone all day I take my jug of water and formula container. It's easy for me.
  • ErinKimm said:
    What do you momma's do for feeding your little ones when you're out and about during the day...like shopping or something? Do you make bottles and keep in a cooler? Take formula and some water and then mix together when baby gets hungry? FTM here and not sure what the best way to do this is.
    I do the same thing as @ammnam14 - I bring the 3-compartment thing of formula, and 2-3 bottles of water, then mix whenever LO gets hungry. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of the routine. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary
  • ErinKimm said:
    I buy the 8 oz containers of premixed formula. I just shake it and pour it into the bottle. I think that most brands sell the premixed in 8 oz containers. I like it because I don't have to worth about getting water and mixing. I did the same thing for my son and it worked out well. 
  • ErinKimm said:
    I do the same thing as @ammnam14 - I bring the 3-compartment thing of formula, and 2-3 bottles of water, then mix whenever LO gets hungry. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of the routine. :)
    Same here. 

Jamie

• redfallon said:
    ErinKimm said:
    Same here. 
    Same as everyone else, I also bring my boobs if it's somewhere quick. 
  • Tommee Tippee makes little formula holders that are super easy to dump into a bottle. I pre-measure out the water and then when she's hungry just dump the formula in. So easy! 
  • Has anyone had experience transitioning their LO's off of a specialized formula?  DS is on Nutramigen and has been since he was 4 weeks old.  He's now 15w old and we are thinking it's to broken down for him.  His stools these last 3 weeks are pretty much water.  The poor thing sounds like he's just had a major blow out each time, but it's really not that bad, it's just very runny diarrhea.  We brought him into the Pediatrician for something else today and I brought it up to her.  She agreed with me saying that maybe he's ready to start getting on something more regular such as Gentlease.  So she gave me 3 sample cans and said to add 1 tbs. per bottle to start transitioning him off of the Nutramigen.  Have any of you ladies had to do this with your LO's or know someone who has?  I know all babies are different, but was curious to see how baby tolerated it.  Crossing my fingers that it doesn't wreak havoc on his belly.
  • Has anyone had experience transitioning their LO's off of a specialized formula?  DS is on Nutramigen and has been since he was 4 weeks old.  He's now 15w old and we are thinking it's to broken down for him.  His stools these last 3 weeks are pretty much water.  The poor thing sounds like he's just had a major blow out each time, but it's really not that bad, it's just very runny diarrhea.  We brought him into the Pediatrician for something else today and I brought it up to her.  She agreed with me saying that maybe he's ready to start getting on something more regular such as Gentlease.  So she gave me 3 sample cans and said to add 1 tbs. per bottle to start transitioning him off of the Nutramigen.  Have any of you ladies had to do this with your LO's or know someone who has?  I know all babies are different, but was curious to see how baby tolerated it.  Crossing my fingers that it doesn't wreak havoc on his belly.
    Sounds like they are really easing you into it so you should be ok. It's not like you can't go back to his other formula if it doesn't work. I haven't personally don't this but wish you good luck!
  • ammnam14ammnam14 member
    edited March 2016
    What size of nipple are you all using? DD just adjusted to size ones. I'm just curious. :)
  • Size 1 for daytime, 0 for night. I also still bfed as well and the size 1 has messed us up a bit and now she sometimes refuses the breast but feedings were taking forever so we had to up the nipple. 
  • ammnam14 said:
    What size of nipple are you all using? DD just adjusted to size ones. I'm just curious. :)
    My DS is using size 2. I've got a big hungry boy! He's adjusted well from size one to two.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary
  • Still using 1s. 

Jamie

• Leo just moved up to size 2. He is doing really well on it! He randomly stopped finishing his bottles so tried a size 2 and he now can finish the whole thing again. 

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• We moved to Medium flows last week. LO was taking 50 mins to drink 5oz. She's back down to her normal 20 mins so I think it was time to switch. 

• KRH6829KRH6829 member
    edited April 2016
    We are switching to similac Alimentum formula after two months of constant spitting up and constipation. Has anyone used this?  I was warned that it is really stinky. Is it really that stinky?  Also, holy crap is it expensive!
  • KRH6829 said:
    We are switching to similac Alimentum formula after two months of constant spitting up and constipation. Has anyone used this?  I was warned that it is really stinky. Is it really that stinky?  Also, holy crap is it expensive!
    I have not used it, but my nephew has. It smells wretched but worked very well for him, I'm guessing it doesn't taste great either because they had to mix regular formula with it forever before he would take a full bottle. But you have to do what works to keep your child fed. Also, if you qualify for WIC I believe your dr can write an RX for them to cover it. Or they can write one for your insurance to cover it, I'm sure someone here has better insight in that area. 
  • KRH6829 said:
    I have not used it, but my nephew has. It smells wretched but worked very well for him, I'm guessing it doesn't taste great either because they had to mix regular formula with it forever before he would take a full bottle. But you have to do what works to keep your child fed. Also, if you qualify for WIC I believe your dr can write an RX for them to cover it. Or they can write one for your insurance to cover it, I'm sure someone here has better insight in that area. 

Only a few states require insurance to cover it. Wic is usually a special authorization form the doctor has to fill out but really isn't a big deal. For us it was a one page form with information like the amount of formula needed (didn't change what we got) and why it was needed. 

No experience with alimentum. We looked at it but it was new when DS was starting on formula and there were ingredients I was waiting for more research to come out on before I felt comfortable (it checked out btw).

There have been others to come out as well. All of Gerber's formulas are partially hydrolyzed protein (what they call their comfort proteins) and we did very well with Gerber soothe for a while. It must have tasted better and the stools seemed similar to healthy BF stool. They also now have an extensive HA formula. Enfamil Gentlease is partial HA but I've seen issues with it and taste. There are many others.
  • One day of bottles is over and I can't handle the smell. It doesn't smell initially, but then if she spit up on the burp cloth, it starts to reek. And her breath...it's horrid!!!
  • KRH6829 said:
    Have you tried Similac's Spit Up brand yet?  It's a green container.  Friends of ours had their son on that after trying 4-5 different types, because he spit up a lot.  The smell of it is NASTY! We have Griffin on Nutramigen.  It is Enfamil's version of Alimentum.  Just be careful with how long they are on it.  In my experience, after a while of being on the Nutramigen, it caused him to have 3-4 bowl movements a day, but they were all diarrhea.  And on top of that when he would go, it sounded like we were dealing with a major blow out, but they really weren't as bad as they sounded. The formula is almost becoming too simple for him.  He's been on Nutramigen since he was 5 weeks old.  Now at 17 weeks, we've been slowly transitioning him off of it by mixing 3oz Nutramigen and 2 oz of Gentlease.  Most families that I have talked to that have had their child on either brand, they didn't need to have them on it for more than 6 months.  at this point, that would put your LO close to a year, but you may find it's only necessary for 2-3 months. Similac brand was not good for us either.  We tried the Sensitive and the Alimentum and it gave Griffin horrible gas.

As for the cost, sign up on Similac's website, to help save some money if insurance doesn't cover it.  I did when I thought we'd be going with the Sensitive stuff and I get 3-5, $5 off coupons every 4-5 weeks from them in the mail.  We now just give them to a friend of ours who has their son on their Spit Up brand.  
  • Curious of everyone's babe's daily intake. My girl is just a few days over 4 months, weighs about 14lbs and only eats between 21-27 ounces a day (usually closer to 23). Tons of wet diapers and at least one poop a day. I am always worried about her intake as she's only awake from 9-9 everyday. There is 1 dream nursing session at 6am. That's only 12 hours to space out all other feedings! Any others with similar eating? I nurse 3x a day then the rest is formula. Enfamil Gentlease. 
  • I actually started worrying about this today also. My DD has had a weird schedule lately and was only awake from 9am-7pm today. She drinks 4oz per feeding plus gets breast fed as well. I'm assuming she gets around 22-26oz of formula and then breast. She's 15lbs and 5m. I'm thinking about upping her
    bottles to 5oz.