February 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms (10/24)

Re: Weekly Randoms (10/24)

• I got no choice on the glucose drink, it's orange and I'm not happy b/c I hate orange. Still it's a small price to pay to know that I'm doing everything I can to take care of this baby.

@imalwaysme79 personally I don't think Brazilian waxes are that bad. I mean they hurt don't get me wrong but it's a total of like 10-15 minutes and then you're out of there. I'm a big believer in go big or go home so I'd say if you were on the fence between bikini and Brazilian just get the Brazilian and you'll realize it isn't as bad as you thought otherwise you'll still be worried to go to the Brazilian after getting your bikini done. Just make sure your hair isn't too long so trim it before hand or ask them to do it. It should be about the length of a pencil eraser. I let it get too long once and forgot to trim it and it was awful.

I'm kind of sad it's been a year since I got one b/c it's just not in our budget right now and unfortunately while I preferred it DH doesn't really care so I quit going and trim it myself now but I see that getting tricky soon. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @kswiger06 - I tried the mirror last time, and it was still a disaster  :/

@marriedhamstermom - I think you're probably right. I just need to stop being such a weenie and do it. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @kswiger06 - I tried the mirror last time, and it was still a disaster  :/

@marriedhamstermom - I think you're probably right. I just need to stop being such a weenie and do it. 
    Oh no! Lol its not funny, but the struggle to groom is real!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just shave by feel at this point. I have no idea what it actually looks like...but it feels like I got everything lol
    Same! I know i missed some spots but its mostly good ;-)
  • I don't know about everyone else, but waxing hurts infinitely more for me when pregnant. 
  • It was POURING rain, and I had to put my kid in this huge snow jacket because it was the only waterproof one I could find. 
    Hot state problems. 
  • Yea waxing while pregnant is a no-go, especially for your first waxing experience. You have way more blood flow , so the pain is maximized. 
  • kswiger06 said:
    @scottipino I try to not ask you Dr questions, but since you mentioned that you personally have hypoglycemia, I was wondering how they actually catch that? I've always had blacking out, faiting, dizziness, headaches all kinds of stuff. My mom took me to so many Dr's and they did a million tests but nothing ever come back. She always thought it was sugar related somehow but everytime they checked me I was fine. Since then I've just assumed that I needed to be checked when I'm having an issue with it. But I've never been around somewhere to check it, and after so many years have realized I need to eat immediately. Normally I grab a candy bar or a can of pop. But I'm not sure how or when they can catch it to see if that's what it is. Is it detectable anytime, or just during those times I'm having active symptoms?
    I had a feeling what my symptoms were a result of and checked my blood sugar to confirm.  I was dropping into the 60s for no apparent reason other then to be either pregnant or nursing.  I had the luxury of being at my office where I could just check it and once confirmed was prescribed a meter.  There are many issues that can cause symptoms like hypoglycemia so if you have normal glucose levels it's probably something else.  

• Yea waxing while pregnant is a no-go, especially for your first waxing experience. You have way more blood flow , so the pain is maximized. 
    Yikes! I haven't gone in a year so I was saying it wasn't so bad pre-pregnancy. I have no experience while pregnant. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• foxrosyfoxrosy member
    edited October 2016
    I meant to share this last time we discussed grooming down below. I have used these for my first pregnancy as well as this one. They work amazing! There is a guard on it so no nicks or cuts and you get a really close shave. They are ridiculously easy to use since you don't have to worry about cutting yourself. They work best if hair is short so if you are longer, you may want to trim with scissors first.
    They used to be sold in stores, but I can't find them anymore so I just order off Amazon.

ETA: I'm also doing my glucose test right now. I got orange. Bleh!
  • I don't know about everyone else, but waxing hurts infinitely more for me when pregnant. 
    100% this.  I never had a problem with brazilians before, but since being pregnant, I dread each appt because it is so much more painful.  It is over super quick though, and I just grit my teeth through it. 
  • We believe I am hypoglycemic (need testing while not pregnant) but I had GD with my first. I failed my 1 hour at 13 weeks... tested at home and my numbers were perfect. I'm testing at home this week and I have had a few bad readings... They appear to be worse if I wait to long to eat.
  • Maybe I'm the weirdo here but I thought the glucose drink tasted pretty good lol. I had the fruit punch and it tasted just like Hawaiian Punch. Or maybe I just have a super sweet-tooth!
  • @kswiger06Your blood sugar may be low for 15 minutes a week, so yeah, they won't find it at a Dr checkup :D you can purchase blood sugar checkers OTC for $20-ish. (Make sure the box includes a few sample test strips). Just keep it in the house/work wherever around you. When you feel shaky, check it right then

I consider multiple finger sticks a day at least as informative as the glucose tolerance test you guys are given. Glucose tolerance tests how your pancreas handles a shock, & if the placenta is starting to interfere. It's helpful, but it's also just a few snapshots of a weird occurrence. Finger sticks show what your blood sugar does in a normal day. What about if you pancreas can still squeak by a sudden influx at 10 AM, but your blood sugar is consistently elevated 20-30 mg/dl every night? The glucose shock test alone won't suss that out. My best friend barely passed the 3 hr shock test, and then kept on rolling... to a 10lb 12 oz kid. She even admits that she probably had GD, but they never caught it because they didn't progress to the finger sticks.
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ugh. Now I'm really worried  :/ I need to do SOMEthing!
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• Something is seriously wrong with me. :( I am calling my MW later today to see if she will run tests for anemia and mono. I slept Saturday 9PM- Sunday 5PM (got up off and on for 10/15 minutes) and then went to bed at 10 EXHAUSTED. I slept in till 10:30 today and can't keep my eyes open. I've been taking some iron supplements and trying to eat iron rich foods, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I've had mono before and I am wondering if that's it? Ugh.

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @peachesnbean ugh sorry to hear that. i hope your MW has some answers. i have anemia and it sucks. 

welcoming our ewok 2/6/17
  • Another one here that just goes by feel at this point.  Frankly, as long as I don't feel like a monkey I'm good :-D  (damn Mediterranean genes ;-p)  And the only other person who is seeing or feeling what's going on down there is my husband and he really doesn't care so long as he's involved with the end results :-D
  • @scottipino  thanks for the info! 

• @peachesnbean Sorry you're feeling so bad! :/ Keep us posted. 

@ohstars We want to see his costume! 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @peachesnbean I'm sorry you've been feeling so exhausted!! I hope it's nothing serious and you can feel better soon
  • @Lafreeman21 I always thought I would need to have it checked when I was feeling shaky and crappy, but of course by the time I get in to have it done it's always fine. I didn't know if that's how it worked or not. Whatever it is, I've dealt with it my whole life so it's not like I'm worried about it so much as just curious. Thanks for the info about purchasing an OTC thing. :)

@peachesnbean I hope you are feeling back to normal quickly, and it's nothing serious!! 

@ohstars I'm with @WinchesterGirl and hope to see pics!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @winchestergirl - I will be AW-ing in the proper thread this evening. :blush:
  • @peachesnbean hopefully your mw can give you some answers & help resolve it!
  • @cruffino I'm not doing the glucose text at all this time. Last time I failed the one-hour and fainted and threw up and basically wanted to die. Asked my midwife if there was an alternative to the 3-hour test, and she had me do finger pricks for about 2 weeks, and then spot checks. I never did have GD. 

This time, my midwife is 100% fine with skipping the test and going straight to finger pricks. Not fun but WAY better than the test. And it does make more sense to me to see how my body responds to my actual diet in my actual life. 
  • @tentacular thanks for the info. when i have my appt this week, i plan to address this and start the finger pricks ASAP. i'm glad to hear they worked for you. your reaction to the glucose test is basically the same one i'm trying to avoid!

• @peachesnbean Ugh, sorry you're feeling lousy. Hopefully you'll get some answers.

Though TBH, if I could, there are lots of days that I would totally be happy just sleeping and waking up for meal times. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Keeping the glucose test in the fridge and drinking it cold makes it a little more doable. 

For those of you who have had GD in the past, did you have any signs pointing in that direction to begin with? Or was it a surprise? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Holy shit @foxrosy !! That is HUGE!

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

• @foxrosy oh my god! That sounds amazing right now though.
  • edited October 2016
    I did my glucose test this morning too. I didn't get to choose a flavor, they just gave me the lemon lime and it was cold. It tasted like flat sprite but gave me heartburn because of all the sugar on an empty stomach. It was like 10 or 12oz that you have to drink in 5 minutes or less. I'm hoping they call with my results tomorrow. 

I also like to keep it shaved because otherwise it gets annoying. I'm having to do it more by feel but the bending is getting difficult. 
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• @peachesnbean I hope you feel better and it isn't anything serious! I had mono two years ago and it absolutely put me on my ass for three months straight. I had such a severe case, I'd pass out unconscious while standing and I was hospitalized for two nights. I coughed so hard, I separated two ribs, and took lots of drugs and fluids because my throat was swollen completely shut and I couldn't swallow any foods or liquids. It was no joke. However, the doctor who took care of me when I was hospitalized told me that once you get mono, you don't get it again. Hopefully your LO is just having a growth spurt and its just making your poor body work extra hard so your extra tired!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @foxrosy Get on that! You can do it.