September 2016 Moms

The Labor Thread

Re: The Labor Thread

• I kept feeling like I was crazy. But it showed on the monitor and then I learned to identify the feeling. Now everyone I know is on baby watch. :D
  • LiziLu42 said:
    It's kind of funny. I was having a non-stress test yesterday when the nurse practitioner walks in to check the monitor and looks over at me asking if I just "felt that contraction". Um... No? You mean kicks, right? She shook her head and said "no, contraction". I had 3-4 right in their office attached to the monitors. What's odd is they don't feel anything like what I've heard others describe. Mine literally just feel like my chest is being squeezed. No pain, all up high, but apparently "real" contractions. Not BH. So any day now!
    I have them regularly every 5-6 minutes during my nsts.  Thanks, iritable uterus!
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• Loading the player...
  • Umm... yeah, so I woke up from a nap and my contractions are coming 5 minutes apart now like clockwork. Lasting about 90 seconds. They're not as mild but they are not the strongest ones I've felt. I'm giving it an hour to see if it lasts, then maybe I'll jump in the shower and see if they're still there.

But I'm wondering, isn't intensity supposed to be a pretty big thing if I were in actual labor at 5 minutes apart? Aren't they supposed to be 5 minutes apart and with me unable to talk through them?
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • RG1RG1 member
    @AlwaysAuntNeverMom I think it's 5 mins apart for 1 hour lasting 1 min each, and although intensity is worth noting, I'm not sure it totally indicates it because maybe you have a high pain tolerance? If it met the 5-1-1 rule I would go in regardless! I've heard contractions need to be a minute to do any dilation, so at that point you are likely dilating! But FTM here I know nothing lol. Did the shower help?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @RG1 jumping in now! I'm half afraid the shower will make them go away  :D
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • Umm... yeah, so I woke up from a nap and my contractions are coming 5 minutes apart now like clockwork. Lasting about 90 seconds. They're not as mild but they are not the strongest ones I've felt. I'm giving it an hour to see if it lasts, then maybe I'll jump in the shower and see if they're still there.

But I'm wondering, isn't intensity supposed to be a pretty big thing if I were in actual labor at 5 minutes apart? Aren't they supposed to be 5 minutes apart and with me unable to talk through them?
    Mine started out 1 min long, 2 minutes apart, and I got my Epi at an 8 because I was afraid to push without it.  I never had a contraction that I thought was bad! I think everyone's body is just different! I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but even then, I just think my body doesn't contract as painfully as some?
  • @AlwaysAuntNeverMom agreed with RG1,  My first contractions for Emmett fit the 5-1-1, and weren't insanely intense (I had to concentrate and stop myself for each one but weren't necessarily painful) until I was >7cm dilated and had been in the hospital for a couple hours at that point. Let us know if they keep going or fizzle!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am thinking they might fizzle... I took a shower and got some things ready just in case we might have to leave and felt them while walking around but not so much anymore after I sat down. These mind games are not fun!
  • @RG1 for me intensity definitely matters.  I've had periods every day for weeks of contractions 5 minutes apart, but they don't get more intense.  So as always... Apparently the answer is maybe?
    ***********************************************************************************************

• RG1RG1 member
    @AlwaysAuntNeverMom I feel ya! Mine haven't gotten to that point yet but every day I have something that *could* turn into labour. I feel like we're the new @JennM205. It's hell. I wish they amounted to something for you!
  • RG1RG1 member
    @RG1 for me intensity definitely matters.  I've had periods every day for weeks of contractions 5 minutes apart, but they don't get more intense.  So as always... Apparently the answer is maybe?
    Haha I feel like the answer is never yes or no! I do agree they need to increase in intensity over time (or stay the same, but not decrease), but could still be labour contractions even if they don't feel intense?
  • mhilpisch10mhilpisch10 member
    edited August 2016
    @AlwaysAuntNeverMom I usually gage by if I can't walk or talk through them, more so than the 5-1-1 rule. But I also prefer laboring at home for as long as possible. 
    I do think the 5-1-1 rule is really helpful and since its been such a mind game would go in if they continue for another hour. 
    Also, sorry you are going through this. I wish your water would just break! That would really make it clear!
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • tinypikachutinypikachu member
    edited August 2016
    @mhilpisch10 they officially fizzled out, again. They're there but sporadically now, so back to the waiting game. I'm not even desperate to give birth, I just hate limbo! But intensity is always what I've thought to go by...
  • RG1RG1 member
    Is it possible to feel your cervix dilate? Pretty sure I can feel mine..
  • I had sharp plucking pain across my low belly a bit ago. I've had it before, but this lasted for longer than usual - although still only about 5 seconds. Also, (TMI warning, if needed for this thread) DH says my vagina looks stretchy and bigger, maybe half dollar sized. I have an appointment tomorrow at 1, so I'll definitely be asking if my OB can tell me what's up, but do you ladies have any thoughts? Does this sound at all like labor/progression or am I just symptom spotting?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • RG1 said:
    I swear I can feel this sometimes with painful contractions.  It's like a weird pressure widening sensation.  Which then makes me feel insane. 

• RG1RG1 member
    @mamadomino Yes that is what it feels like! And it's deep inside me where I know my cervix is. 
  • @Jabreen might just be swelling as far as the vag part goes. Mine is the same. I don't think it's necassqrily a labor sign. More just a super pregnant sign. 
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • I have been having some cramps that feel a lot like what I had in early labor last time. They come and go, about every 20 minutes or so. I think that there is a very large chance that they are nothing and I won't have this baby for another 1.5 - 2 weeks, but I am still making sure I have things in order before leaving work today. Just in case...

• RG1 said:
    I swear I can feel this sometimes with painful contractions.  It's like a weird pressure widening sensation.  Which then makes me feel insane. 
    I also feel like I feel this quite often... except my cervix is hardly 1cm dilated.. so I wouldn't be too convinced ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi ladies!!

so the past 2 or 3 weeks I've been getting pain in my upper inner thighs on and off. The past week they've remained and also have been occurring in my crotch. Today they have gotten much longer and much more painful, to where I am not just bending over but I have let out a little moan in pain. I get the pains while sitting too-but they are much more intense when I am up. They are not regular. Could this be an early sign of labor or are they just Braxton hicks?
  • @ah825 Id also be curious about this! I have inner thigh cramps when I feel tightness in my belly so I figured they're related. I wonder with the increase in intensity whether it could be a labour sign?!
  • I have those all day every day :( but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a sign for you!
  • Update: have been on pitocin drip all afternoon since my water broke around 9am and I wasn't contracting on my own.. I get to join the pre e club though... Went from not having it yesterday to having it full blown today, so that kinda sucks, I'm stuck being hooked up on an iv to the pitocin and to magnesium.. blah :P.. long day with a long night ahead
  • @Lotsofpickles73 Long night ahead but baby at the end of it all! Hang in there!

• Good luck @Lotsofpickles73! Sorry for the pre E. You're going to meet your baby, soon!
  • @Lotsofpickles73 Good luck!

@RG1 and @AlwaysAuntNeverMom Sorry to hear you guys are in contraction purgatory! I wouldn't wish it upon anyone...! Hopefully either the BH stop messing with your heads or your babies come, already! Hang in there! For what it's worth...when I finally was in real labor this time, there was a definite change in contraction intensity, even of the earlier ones. The timing (5-1-1) never added up just right but the intensity was key. Maybe that will help you draw more of a line in the sand?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So when I am laying down my stomach feels tight n I have dull back pain also feel sick to my stomach Tuesday I'll be 37 weeks is this a sign of labor? Also when I am standing back pain isn't as bad and stomach is little softer?
  • So when I am laying down my stomach feels tight n I have dull back pain also feel sick to my stomach Tuesday I'll be 37 weeks is this a sign of labor? Also when I am standing back pain isn't as bad and stomach is little softer?
    I'm going to go with no. Unless these pain's are consistent, timeable and trackable, it doesn't sound like labour contractions. Your muscles, ligaments and tendons relax and contract differently when we lay down, which can lead to some tightness or discomfort. My back doesn't hurt when I'm standing or sitting, mostly when I'm lying down for long periods. 
  • Throwing myself a major pity party. I have been diagnosed with a "twitchy uterus", which I'm pretty sure is just code for "this patient is a pain in the ass." I've been in L&D three times, contractions showing on the monitor every three minutes or so...lasting more than a minute. But, no dilation. I have a prescription for the contractions, and it helps...but I'm still in purgatory. I don't think I can do this for two more weeks. I'm annoyed with myself, frustrated with my uterus, and pouty. 

I know it's good for lo to stay put until he's term. I'm just so over the pain. Ugh. 

Sorry for the long complaint. DH doesn't get it at all. Blech. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @pilotswifey I'm sorry to hear this :( That can't be fun at all. I hope they have some sort of solution for you. Are they thinking about inducing early? I wish I had something more supportive to say, creepy internet hugs for you!!
  • Thanks ladies! I'm just over here feeling twitchy. The nurses have been sweet so far, but I feel like a total loser. I'm a STM, I should know better. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @jas1982 ahh! I hope things are moving along for you :)
    Pregnancy Ticker