Trying to Get Pregnant

WTO Wednesday

13»

Re: WTO Wednesday

• Here is where I look like a total internet nerd and/or get banned forever: 

@adirat Basically (as I understand it--I'm sure some of this isn't quite right), The Bump got new management. The communities here had a reputation for being super mean and full of bitches. The members were snarky as hell, but they were super smart. It was 1000x better than other similar websites, because you could get accurate information and totally solid advice. (BTW I'm not saying anything about how it is now, I haven't been around for over a year. I'm just talking about how it was and how it started to look in the months after things changed, based on my perception.) The rainbows & butterflies stuff was limited & I liked it that way. Random drive-by posts with stupid questions would get flamed for days & it was hilarious. Users who posted insensitive or absurd things would get flamed, too. (Example: someone having her 4th baby, hosting her own baby shower, complaining about no one getting things off her registry.) Maybe we were mean, but we were right, and it kept The Bump from devolving into ...other similar websites. But anyway, the new management put up new TOU with a goal of making the communities friendlier, and they started warning people and banning them left and right. The TOU weren't even clear, the banning was sometimes arbitrary (like you would post "umm... ok, that sounds ridiculous" and get banned for not being supportive), and the board mods were getting totally shut out of everything. It was clear XO (the corp that owns The Bump) just wanted to kick out all the people who made the culture what it was, and start over. And that seems to be exactly what they did. They lost a lot of really good people -- just as an example, the breastfeeding boards had a few amazing experts who really helped tons of women, and they left (as far as I know; maybe they have come back or new ones have joined). And they disrupted a bunch of communities of women that had been talking for months or years. It all went down just a few months before my board was due, and it sucked, because we were truly friends. We did start a Facebook group but still lost some of our regulars. People were upset too because we had a memorial post for our ***TRIGGER*** lost babies and the admins just deleted it. 

I have poked around a bit on this board and it seems like maybe there is a better balance now, compared to the months after everything went down. This is what I was hoping for; I much prefer these forums to FB!
  • @adirat There was a lot of stuff that went down, but it seemed (to someone who wasn't intimately involved, but an active board participant) that there were two main things: that the XO community admin changed without telling anyone (and pretended to be the old admin) and that the app launched and a ton of new people joined the forums since it was part of the app. There were a lot of complaints and craziness and it all came to a head with the new admins banning some longtime, significant users. A mass exodus then occurred and people all moved to another site. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • @adirat There was a lot of stuff that went down, but it seemed (to someone who wasn't intimately involved, but an active board participant) that there were two main things: that the XO community admin changed without telling anyone (and pretended to be the old admin) and that the app launched and a ton of new people joined the forums since it was part of the app. There were a lot of complaints and craziness and it all came to a head with the new admins banning some longtime, significant users. A mass exodus then occurred and people all moved to another site. 
    ^^ that is the more concise and diplomatic version haha
  • @kissthesky32 @slavenski @mangomimosa looks like we have a good showing of NE ladies here. I am from Western Massachusetts and have been a NE my entire life even though before law school i tried to defect to the south, ha

My Ovulation Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/CallMeMrsChaos/

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image   View Full Size Image

• @CallMeMrsChaos where? I lived in FL for a while, for grad school round 1. Never again. Never. Florida is BSC.
  • @JackieMarie1989 @rainbowturtles lurking from TWW.  Just wanted to chip in about the BBT thermometer... I actually dozed off mid-term this morning.  It might only take 45-60 seconds, but half asleep it feels like 45-60 minutes. 
      Me: 27    DH: 37
    Humans to 1 dog, 2 cats!
    Dating: Feb 2012
    Married: Sep 2015
    NTNP: Sep 2015
    TTC#1: May 2016
  • @mangomimosa I presently am located in a tiny town where my husband grew up called Palmer, MA (tiny in that i think it really is a collection of small villages) I almost went to Emory in Atlanta for law school, but due to health issues my mom was going through and a very controlling BF at the time, I never left MA

My Ovulation Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/CallMeMrsChaos/

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image   View Full Size Image

• @mangomimosa I'm working on my diplomacy. I've only had this SN for a month - not ready to get kicked out... Not yet at least
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Too tired to post but TTC is boring anyway. Just wanted to say Happy Hump Dayyyyy

• edited August 2016
    @rainbowturtles, yes, my temp with the BBT is way lower as well! I mean it was 97.7 with the regular thermometer and then 96.9 with the BBT next day. My last cycle was also inconclusive using a regular thermometer, so maybe I should just get rid of the regular thermometer temps and start with BBT only. I'm only on CD 7 anyway
    Me: 26 DH: 27
    Married 6-15-13
    DS born 4-9-15
    Septate Uterus
    BFP 10/12/16--EDD 6/24/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kissthesky32
    @mangomimosa

Thanks for the explanation and I hope you don't get banned. What an odd story. Of course I am new so what do I know, but the whole reason I picked here to join was exactly that -- the level of intelligence among the posters (including both TTC knowledge and the fact that posts are written in comprehensible English with punctuation and everything). 

• @mangomimosa Wow, sounds like it was quite the blowup. I wasn't TTC back then so I have no basis for comparison, but based on just what I've been seeing as I lurked and started posting, there's still a lot of quality members. I'm learning a lot, anyway!

@adirat That's what made me come here, too. I spent a month checking out the various online communities and I liked the straightforward way things are done here. It makes sense, people are intelligent and informative, and there's a minimum of fluff but the posts aren't boring by any stretch. 
    Me: 32 Husbando: 49
    Married Since: 7/29/2012
    omgosh 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor">@<a href="/profile/adirat" title="Link: /profile/adirat">adirat</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">@kissthesky32 
    @mangomimosa

Thanks for the explanation and I hope you don't get banned. What an odd story. //snipped</div>
    </blockquote>
    I have been in TTGP since November 15, and I have seen things ebb and flow a bit.  But where I saw what you are talking about BIGTIME is the Cloth Diapering page.  It is like dead crickets over there.  Everyone apparently moved over to a FB group, but I don't prefer FB for these type of things.   It was hard enough for me to join a Tula group (which I don't even use, although I had thought about getting a tula before getting a bfp lol)  but like, if I start added CD groups, BF groups, lord help me - a TTC group!!??  I just don't want all my FB FL knowing my business like that.  Imho.

And Welcome Back!  :D
  • @JackieMarie1989 yes, because of the big difference I waited until cd1 to change thermometers. Since you're only cd7 you will probably still catch your shift even with weird cd1-cd6 temps but it certainly won't be a pretty chart lol