June 2016 Moms

Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
edited July 2016 in June 2016 Moms
Saw on another board they had a random thread for momma's up on the wee hours of the night.  

Re: Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

• 1:30am and just fed Nadia. Trying to get her to burp, she is the hardest kid to burp! 

Anyone know now any burping tricks I may have missed ?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I put him over my right shoulder and make sure he's leaning so his left is a little higher than the right. Helps bubbles escape. Then move him to a sitting position on my lap.  If still no burp I change him.  All that movement normally gets it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • I always Bump during night feedings! It's easy to read through, but harder to type with just one thumb. :)
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

• At the mommy baby clinic I went to today, the pediatrician said it's important to keep the baby's back straight. If they are hunched over it makes it hard for the burp to come out. I don't know if that helps or not  

Why am I awake!? It's 1230, Sam's been down for 3.5 hours and I'm staring into the dark completely unable to fall asleep. And now I know he's going to wake up at any minute which is making it even harder to sleep. Sigh. 
  • Pumping now... Bumping is one of the easier one handed activities.  I am constantly checking for updates, especially birth announcements and anything related to breastfeeding.  Burping is fairly elusive to me.  I give it a good five minutes and the figure it will hopefully come out the other end.  DS has epic sharting and stretching sessions whenever I unwrap him to wake him up.  Pretty cute... Well at this point anyways.

Since I am a FTM i find myself googling how to do almost everything (example: hortw  give a bath).  It is very hard to trust my instincts.  Does anyone else feel this way?
  • 4:11am and Ms.Skylar made a big poo and breastfed for about 25min. I was afraid her belly was hurting because she went to sleep without eating last night and only has been having 1 bm a day when she usually has multiples. I thought she may be constipated. I'm still going to get her some gas drops. Now she's slowly falling back asleep. 

I I google everything also. I just want to make sure I'm doing right by her with this all being new to me.
  • Ugh tonight is rough.  He's up like every 2 hours instead of his normal 3 and he is having issues passing some gas so he's noise tonight.  Plus his switching hour last night was intense, lots of crying from seemingly being overtired yet would not sleep.  I hope I get a nap in tomorrow.
  • Thanks for the burping tips! You would think I'd be a pro by my third kid.

uo again for dd second bottle of the night, which would be great, except that my two year old was up for half an hour and I barely got her settled before baby woke. It's going to be a long day! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • RobinbokorRobinbokor member
    edited June 2016
    @egirl1025 Absolutely. I'm a pediatric nurse so I figured I pretty well knew my stuff when caring for a baby...wrong! Everything I know has completely gone out the window. I'm googling everything!! 
  • Mine wouldn't sleep last night much either. And I have a tough time getting her to burp. Husband does it better. I try for awhile and figure it will eventually work it's way out, which it always does.

I would be appalled if anyone saw my browser history. I Google soooooo much stuff.
  • This is a great idea! I Wish I had read this when I was randomly up for 2 hours last night. It wasn't even because of my baby. 
  • Google is my bff at the moment. If I'm not on it, my husband is the one doing the research. Burping isn't easy for us either, he's more of a fart/shart kinda guy. I still try the various methods nonetheless unless it's nighttime and he has passed out. I'd rather not rouse him if he has just finished eating and is peacefully sleeping. He seems to have established his evening window of fussiness as well...10pm -1am (in between feedings at least). Grand. Luckily my husband is a nightowl so he takes him for rocking while I try to sleep.

I usually check the board during the nightly feedings. Helps pass the time. I prefer to keep the tv off because it wakes me up too much and then I can't fall back asleep.
  • Ugh tonight is rough.  He's up like every 2 hours instead of his normal 3 and he is having issues passing some gas so he's noise tonight.  Plus his switching hour last night was intense, lots of crying from seemingly being overtired yet would not sleep.  I hope I get a nap in tomorrow.
    My LO was sleeping 3-3.5hrs stretch last night it was up every 1hr and 45 min I'm hoping this is the 4 week growth spurt and she goes back to normal soon I'm exhausted!

• My husband find this position works well to get her to burp. He wiggles her booty around while she lays there. She will either burp or fart but the gas comes out some way.
  • Isn't it amazing how you are all ready to feed the baby and as soon as they latch on and get going you suddenly need the bathroom/ a drink/ foot itches/ phone is across the room/ ect?  
  • @adiaz132003 I always forget the burp cloth. Drives me crazy. 
  • DD has always wanted to eat All night  but she always falls asleep so quick. Not tonight we've been up almost 3 hrs and her eyes are just so wide open I need some sleep and I'm starving.
  • DD has always wanted to eat All night  but she always falls asleep so quick. Not tonight we've been up almost 3 hrs and her eyes are just so wide open I need some sleep and I'm starving.

When DS gets that way I have to walk around and rock him sleep.
  • I'm trying really hard to stay awake  during this feeding. Last night I was apparently too sleepy and too comfortable because after she got done I tried to burp her and fell asleep with her on my chest for like an hour. So tonight I am making sure I am awake. Which then sucks because once she is ready to go back to sleep then I have to spend more time winding myself back down to sleep again. 
  • Hey!!! Anyone up playing mommy? This little girl started whining I her sleep. She drank 1 ounce without ever waking up and spit the bottle out. Now I'm scared to lay her down even though she is asleep. I feel like this just can't be over lol
  • Hi! My little lady just went down, drank her bottle quick and then just needed a little rocking but she's a noisy sleeper and I'm thinking I'll have to move her to her room sooner rather then later. She sleeps in a bassinet next to my bed and I like having her that close but I'd like to sleep until she wakes instead of her waking me up 30 mins before she's awake. She starts making extra noise about 30 mins before she wakes up. I'd also like to not wake up earlier then her so maybe I can stop doing middle of the night shopping! I'm addicted to burts bees clothing! I love it and a few store have it on sale now, so I'm having a hard time not blowing my budget. My husband already got upset with me for going and spending a bunch of money at carters for all three of the kids. I love me some online shopping! 
  • My little dude is soo flipping fussy in the evening.  It's kinda like colic but I do have ways to sooth him for a minute but I know he either is super tired and gassy.  If it's both then my ears really suffer.  Then suddenly every night at 9pm a switch goes off and he falls asleep and stays asleep. Unless he gets gassy again and starts grunting and stretching and the only thing that helps is both the swaddle and I have to put the pacifier back in.  I can't wait till the fussy/gassy stage passes.  It's at around 3 months right?  I hope it's sooner.  All this noise wakes me up and doesn't let him get long enough naps during the day.  Ugh motherhood... what a joy.  I should just surrender to the fact that I will not get more then 45min of sleep at a time at nighttime.  

• egirl1025egirl1025 member
    edited July 2016
    My kid has gained close to two pounds over his birth weight, however this is the first day he has woken up on his own for feedings... Every two hours!!  Ugh!  Between this and trying to keep his nose clear I am tired!!!  I hope this next feeding really gets him nice and full.

ETA: i feel your pain in the lack of sleep thing!
  • alileecamalileecam member
    edited July 2016
    Up an hour early for the three am feeding. I am dead tired from taking care of DS2 and a sick DS1. DH said something about being 'incapable' of getting up early in the morning to do something he wants to do, and is currently snoring through every night feeding. I am stabby. And he wonders why I don't want to do anything with him... I am tired and he says the dumbest, most unhelpful shit to a very sleep-deprived woman who regularly gets up before 6 am. 
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

• alileecam said:
    Up an hour early for the three am feeding. I am dead tired from taking care of DS2 and a sick DS1. DH said something about being 'incapable' of getting up early in the morning to do something he wants to do, and is currently snoring through every night feeding. I am stabby. And he wonders why I don't want to do anything with him... I am tired and he says the dumbest, most unhelpful shit to a very sleep-deprived woman who regularly gets up before 6 am. 
    I'm sorry! 
    yesterday my husband was complaining how tired he is. He hasn't done a night feeding since the hospital, he sleeps in till 7:30 or 8 every day, and my two older kids are usually up by 5:30am. I've had the stabby feeling before too. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Man I couldn't imagine hearing a husband say those things lol. (I'm a single mom).  I'm visiting my mom and dad and at night, my dad keeps saying, okay now we are going to go sleep in our nice quiet room with the door closed, have fun tonight. And it's annoying and he's just the grandpa and I don't expect him to help lol. 
  • amangels2 said:
    Man I couldn't imagine hearing a husband say those things lol. (I'm a single mom).  I'm visiting my mom and dad and at night, my dad keeps saying, okay now we are going to go sleep in our nice quiet room with the door closed, have fun tonight. And it's annoying and he's just the grandpa and I don't expect him to help lol. 

My dad always does stuff like that. He came to visit and asked "how are you feeling?". I told him how tired I was cause DS was being so fussy and won't sleep long and he straight up started laughing.  I got pissed and was like "dude it's not funny, I'm tired as hell." 
  • amangels2 said:
    Man I couldn't imagine hearing a husband say those things lol. (I'm a single mom).  I'm visiting my mom and dad and at night, my dad keeps saying, okay now we are going to go sleep in our nice quiet room with the door closed, have fun tonight. And it's annoying and he's just the grandpa and I don't expect him to help lol. 

My dad always does stuff like that. He came to visit and asked "how are you feeling?". I told him how tired I was cause DS was being so fussy and won't sleep long and he straight up started laughing.  I got pissed and was like "dude it's not funny, I'm tired as hell." 
    Yes. Lol. And he keeps telling me how well rested I look. I tell him make up does wonders lol
  • edited July 2016
    amangels2 said:
    amangels2 said:

Yes. Lol. And he keeps telling me how well rested I look. I tell him make up does wonders lol

I've said the same thing to several visitors. Just because we don't look tired or disheveled, doesn't mean that we aren't exhausted!
  • Ugh zombie mode hitting hard core tonight.  Soooo sleepy!!!!
  • Looking forward to when he goes more then 2-3 hours between feedings!   :#
  • Ugh zombie mode hitting hard core tonight.  Soooo sleepy!!!!
    I'm came to the board last night to post the same thing, but it was down for maintenance. DD was gassy and fussy again after DH gave her a bottle at midnight which made the rest if the feedings and sleep cycles a nightmare. Going to try a new bottle.
  • Sooo wow.  Tonight we took a chance cause DS was sleeping so well in his room all we just let him stay there rather than bringing him to bed with us and he slept so well and I slept well.  I'm up for the first feeding and if he keeps doing well I shouldn't have to get up again till about 5am. After all that fuss of if I wanna keep co-sleeping.
  • I might lose my mind tonight. She has been feeding frequently today and every hour this evening. It is taking her 30-45 minutes to eat. So I get maybe 15-30 minutes break they she is literally clawing (we just trimmed her nails but they still feel like talons) to eat again and then loses her mind when it takes a minute or two for me to get ready to latch her on. Then she further loses her mind when the milk doesnt immediately pour from me. I'm so exhausted and I just want sleep. 
  • I might lose my mind tonight. She has been feeding frequently today and every hour this evening. It is taking her 30-45 minutes to eat. So I get maybe 15-30 minutes break they she is literally clawing (we just trimmed her nails but they still feel like talons) to eat again and then loses her mind when it takes a minute or two for me to get ready to latch her on. Then she further loses her mind when the milk doesnt immediately pour from me. I'm so exhausted and I just want sleep. 
    Hang in there mama! My DD did the same thing when she hit her 2 week growth spurt. It lasted a day and then she went back to normal. Be sure to nap tomorrow and have someone deal with her between feedings so you can rest then. 
  • My son was doing bis usual nightly feedings every 2hrs until we hit 3:30am. He only drank for 3min before refusing. I changed him and gave him a few minutes before trying again...nothing. So then I put him back into his pnp, despite him being pretty wide awake, then he started rooting again. I picked him up and put him back on the breast, he maybe sucked for a few seconds before refusing again. Now he is just staring at me with those adorable eyes as I sit and wonder what the hell to do. No amount of rocking will put him to sleep either. Grrrr.
  • We've started trying try have DH give her a pumped bottle once a night. Problem is she gets fussy afterwards and won't sleep. We thought it was gas from the bottle, but we got a Dr Brown's bottle and tried that tonight. No gas, but she is wide awake and fussing over an hour and a half later. She's not hungry since she took 4.5oz! Any suggestions? We really want DH to be able to give a bottle so we can split up feedings since she eats every 2 hours still and it's really hard on me. 
  • DS is fussing now too. Woke for a 4am feeding and we can't seem o get him to sleep. Now DH is in there trying to sooth him and he has hiccups so we can't put him down till those are gone.  I feel bad cause I'm supposed to be in charge of everything nighttime but DH got up anyway cause he knew I had gotten up three times in the last 45 min.
  • So hard waking up for the 1am feeding!!  Was a serious zombie for a good five minutes.

This is my little moment of small victories... He slept for just over three hours and I refrained from waking his congested butt up.  I just told myself he would cry if he needed me and we both got some much needed sleep.  Everyone that comes over just wants to wake him up!!  I want to murder them!

• I've been using the "five S" methods from Happiest Baby on the Block to get DS back to sleep in the middle of the night (and to deal with him during his witching hour) Usually putting him stomach down on me while shushing him and getting him to suck a pacifier is the winning combo. Good luck sleepless mommas