June 2016 Moms

Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

Re: Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

• ^What they said

Sleeping in her crib was always our plan from day one, but every time she made a noise the dogs barked, then heard themselves on the monitor and barked more. Having her in a bassinet in our room has worked out really well because she sleeps peacefully through the night. Plus our stroller came with a bassinet approved for over night sleeping so we didn't need to buy one. So what works for you and makes you both happy- as long as you're not neglecting baby or doing something that is obviously wrong (i.e. Feeding him Cheetos) you're fine!

But... aren't Cheetos one of the essential food groups? ;)

Thanks ladies.  It's the worst feeling when as a mom someone tells you you're wrong.
  • ^What they said

Sleeping in her crib was always our plan from day one, but every time she made a noise the dogs barked, then heard themselves on the monitor and barked more. Having her in a bassinet in our room has worked out really well because she sleeps peacefully through the night. Plus our stroller came with a bassinet approved for over night sleeping so we didn't need to buy one. So what works for you and makes you both happy- as long as you're not neglecting baby or doing something that is obviously wrong (i.e. Feeding him Cheetos) you're fine!

Thanks ladies.  It's the worst feeling when as a mom someone tells you you're wrong.
    To be clear, eventually my kids will have Cheetos, just waiting for teeth first!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Loading the player...
  • You will find that people like to tell you how to parent and it's always hardest with your first but you'll become much more confident in yourself as time goes on. I'll never forget the time I had to stand up to my mom when she disagreed how I was handling my sons sensory disorder. Now she  rarely tells me how to she thinks I should handle things. Go with your gut and you'll be good! And now I want Cheetos but the spicy ones since no one else in my house will eat them! 
  • ^What they said

To be clear, eventually my kids will have Cheetos, just waiting for teeth first!
    So I really NEVER eat snack/processed food, except after I give birth, and then it's CHEETOS!  It's a big running joke in my family.  After my older daughter was born, I had lost a ton of blood (my mother, who is a physician, said she'd never seen such a bloody mess on the floor), and was getting stitched up for some serious tears, and was literally yelling out into the hallway to my brother and his now-wife, "Get me Cheetos, the CRUNCHY kind!"  And he yells back in - "Um, Cheetos only come in crunchy..."  
    I went as crazy as someone who's got a doctor with a sewing kit fiddling around in her crotch can - "JUST. GO. GET. THE. CHEETOS!!!!!"
    Now there's a mandatory photo op with my and my Cheetos post-birth:)
  • @rlbrooks84 she is gorgeous I love her cheeks!! So sweet.
  • @rlbrooks84 chubby cheeks are the best.  The cheeks on my DS have grown exponentially and we love it!!
  • Thank you ladies! I love chubby cheeks too!
  • Quick question: How often are you bathing your baby?  I'm doing about once a week.  
  • Quick question: How often are you bathing your baby?  I'm doing about once a week.  
    1-2x/week for a full bath, rinsing her butt with soap a little more often. I also occasionally rinse her hair with just cool water on these hot days but don't use soap more than twice a week to prevent cradle cap
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • egirl1025egirl1025 member
    edited July 2016
    Quick question: How often are you bathing your baby?  I'm doing about once a week.  
    1-2x/week for a full bath, rinsing her butt with soap a little more often. I also occasionally rinse her hair with just cool water on these hot days but don't use soap more than twice a week to prevent cradle cap
    Same here... Although he does look much better after a good bath :). What do you all use for soap in the bath?  I have been using Dove sensitive bar soap... So far really like it... Better than putting the soap in the tub.

Eta for auto-correct
  • Her cord is still finishing healing, so a sponge bath every 2-3 days 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We do every 2-3 days cause it sooths him for bedtime, and we use Burt's bees lavender wash
  • I've been using Aveeno baby since I love Aveeno myself- it's been fine so far and she has sensitive skin so I'm sticking with what works!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Anyone else's baby go through a period of sleeping a lot and eating a little less around 2 weeks? Yesterday and today she has been way less interested in her bottles and napping a lot longer.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We use honest company bath products. Like it so far!
  • @AmberLiz99 our little guy did that around days 11-12. He slept a ton and was hardly interested in nursing. I talked with an LC who said it was probably attributed to the 10 day growth spurt, at least the extra sleeping. I was worried about him eating enough, but he went back to normal after a day or two. 
  • Speaking of baths, what are you all doing about washing baby's face? I was told just to use water. Our LO is dealing with some bad baby acne. Wondering if I should use her soap during bath time. 
  • My LO one has some acne also and I've noticed just using some warm water and the rougher side of the washcloth helps exfoliate her pores a bit. I'm a big aveeno fan also and their extra dry cream is great for the winter when my boys eczema flares up. I also like babyganics soaps, their lotions are okay but I love the soaps.
  • Does anyone else feel like they want to go to exclusively pumping on a regular basis?  I have overproduction and fast let down, so I contemplate this on a daily basis because I know the baby will be happier and I will not have to pump in the middle of the night... At least I don't think on the last part.  I have gotten a better handle on the overproduction, but the let down is a pain.  I cannot maintain or do the different holds that are supposed to alleviate this and trying to pump through the initial let down is excruciating when baby is ready to eat and crying.  

I go back to work in a week so at least half of his feedings will be by bottle... What is everyone else's opinion?  I just spent an hour and a half changing diaper, breastfeeding for 30 minutes burping, seeing if he wanted more from a bottle (because the other side was too engorged to give it to him) and pumping.  Oh and soothing him enough to set him down.  I may be waking up again very soon... Of course that is if I fall asleep at all...

Ok so that was mostly a rant, but today was a bit rough with feedings and I think everything is still off because of his congestion. Ugh!
  • Is it possible to be so tired that you're not tired anymore?  Haha. Baby is asleep and I'm freakin wide awake at 1:45am. Uuugghhhh!  
  • egirl1025 said:
    Does anyone else feel like they want to go to exclusively pumping on a regular basis?  I have overproduction and fast let down, so I contemplate this on a daily basis because I know the baby will be happier and I will not have to pump in the middle of the night... At least I don't think on the last part.  I have gotten a better handle on the overproduction, but the let down is a pain.  I cannot maintain or do the different holds that are supposed to alleviate this and trying to pump through the initial let down is excruciating when baby is ready to eat and crying.  

I go back to work in a week so at least half of his feedings will be by bottle... What is everyone else's opinion?  I just spent an hour and a half changing diaper, breastfeeding for 30 minutes burping, seeing if he wanted more from a bottle (because the other side was too engorged to give it to him) and pumping.  Oh and soothing him enough to set him down.  I may be waking up again very soon... Of course that is if I fall asleep at all...

Ok so that was mostly a rant, but today was a bit rough with feedings and I think everything is still off because of his congestion. Ugh!
    I exclusively pumped for a couple months with my second baby. It's a lot of work, and I had to do it at night to keep up my supply. I had supply issues and other complications so I'm not the best example, but if you can get enough by pumping I think it can work. It was easier for me than breast feeding all the time. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • egirl1025 said:
    Does anyone else feel like they want to go to exclusively pumping on a regular basis?  I have overproduction and fast let down, so I contemplate this on a daily basis because I know the baby will be happier and I will not have to pump in the middle of the night... At least I don't think on the last part.  I have gotten a better handle on the overproduction, but the let down is a pain.  I cannot maintain or do the different holds that are supposed to alleviate this and trying to pump through the initial let down is excruciating when baby is ready to eat and crying.  

I don't have any experience as a FTM (I only pump if I really need to, too much to clean :-P) But it sounds like a good option for you, especially if you're going back to work in a week. My only advice is to do what works for you & baby, and ignore anyone who gives you a hard time. Pumping (and BFing) are hard work!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • egirl1025 said:

I pumped and used formula with my twins and am EPing this time with my son. For me, it was the only option for me as breast feeding makes me uncomfortable (I get overstimulated easily by too much touch). I have never thought it was difficult to pump, usually I have my hubby feed him while I'm pumping or if it's just me I will feed him previously pumped milk while I'm pumping, by sitting him on my legs.
  • Anyone have any recommendations for good bras to wear to exercise? I need something to contain my huge boobs especially as I start getting back in to running. Should I just wear regular jogging bras? (I think I will have to double up on bras to really hold them down). Breastfeeding so trying to make sure I wear whatever necessary to not promote clogged ducts or anything.
  • Anyone have any recommendations for good bras to wear to exercise? I need something to contain my huge boobs especially as I start getting back in to running. Should I just wear regular jogging bras? (I think I will have to double up on bras to really hold them down). Breastfeeding so trying to make sure I wear whatever necessary to not promote clogged ducts or anything.

Something with really thick straps and when you try on sports bras it should feel really tight being put on.  Just avoid underwire.  I had big boobs even before getting pregnant, 30DDD, and I got fitted by a pro for athletic bras for running.  She told me that.  As for preventing clogged ducts, as long as you only wear it to run and not all day you should be fine.  To be safe you can always make sure you're not engorged before your workout and massage then when you're done.
  • Thanks @adiaz132003. I got fitted recently and am 42DDD/F so finding something that will fit sucks but I appreciate the info on not affecting supply/avoiding clogged ducts. Likely I will have to feed her before running since she is still eating often enough that even a short run risks not being available when she wants to eat.
  • Has anyone else found that cooking dinner is one of the hardest things with a newborn? Maybe it's because I have other kids too, but man it is hard to get food on the table for dinner! Weekends are easy enough, but my husband usually doesn't get home early enough to help cook on week days because he's been working overtime. 
    Anyone have any tips that help them? I still have a few meals in my freezer that I made before baby came, but I'm burning through those fast and she's only about 3 weeks old. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Has anyone else found that cooking dinner is one of the hardest things with a newborn? Maybe it's because I have other kids too, but man it is hard to get food on the table for dinner! Weekends are easy enough, but my husband usually doesn't get home early enough to help cook on week days because he's been working overtime. 
    Anyone have any tips that help them? I still have a few meals in my freezer that I made before baby came, but I'm burning through those fast and she's only about 3 weeks old. 
    Wear the baby and put on a show or movie for the other kids. Literally, the only way we eat. 
  • Rawa1416 said:
    Has anyone else found that cooking dinner is one of the hardest things with a newborn? Maybe it's because I have other kids too, but man it is hard to get food on the table for dinner! Weekends are easy enough, but my husband usually doesn't get home early enough to help cook on week days because he's been working overtime. 
    Wear the baby and put on a show or movie for the other kids. Literally, the only way we eat. 
    Haha. You might be onto something. Maybe I should move their TV time to right before dinner instead of after lunch 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's almost 11, I'm wide awake for some awful reason and I know tomorrow I'll be exhausted and not have time for a nap because I have too many errands to run. But here I sit in bed cruising the Internet on my phone, good think my iPad is dead otherwise I might be shopping! My LO also went to bed early tonight and I'm hoping that doesn't mean she'll wake up early. On a side note, I wish Costco opened earlier because my LO goes down for a nap between 10/11 and Costco doesn't open till 10. So I'm having the hardest time getting over there to do some shopping, I avoid that place like the plague on the weekends. I went one Saturday and didn't even get everything on my list because I was becoming claustrophobic. 
  • @AmberLiz99 do your kids still nap? Or during their tv time after lunch prep everything. I alway have everything cut up and ready to go seasoned ect. That way it's just a matter of sticking it in oven or on stove. And yes DS is watching tv half of the time I'm cooking. I feel guilty at the amount of tv he's been watching since having LO but it's all I can do to survive. 
  • @AmberLiz99 do your kids still nap? Or during their tv time after lunch prep everything. I alway have everything cut up and ready to go seasoned ect. That way it's just a matter of sticking it in oven or on stove. And yes DS is watching tv half of the time I'm cooking. I feel guilty at the amount of tv he's been watching since having LO but it's all I can do to survive. 
    Prepping in advance is a good idea. I need to plan ahead better for thst. 

My two year old is supposed to nap, but for the last week she has been on a total sleep strike, day and night. I'm up more with her than the newborn. That's one of the things that has made cooking harder. My 5 year old hasn't naped since he was 3. 

Usually i just have them help me cook, but because of the no napping thing my toddler hasn't been real cooperative come evening time, and between that and the new baby it's been hard to get both my hands to myself.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • purplefan1purplefan1 member
    edited July 2016
    Sometimes it feels like you can't win. If you tell people you are EBF they go on a rant about research that shows formula fed is just as healthy. Same with Vice versa. If you tell them you feed on demand or don't adhere to a schedule you are regaled with how much damage you are doing to your child with your incessant spoiling. But God forbid you tell someone you are sleep training lest you be told of the irreparable psychological damage you are doing to your child. It's like feeling set up for failure any time you are asked a question. If what you are doing goes against what that person chose to do with their child, if feels like they have to defend their choices. It is seriously not a competition!!! Same with talking about milestones. "How is baby doing?" "Oh! She has started holding her head up!" *Side eye glare* "well isn't that nice. MY baby was super early with crawling". Um. Ok. Cool?

Edited for spelling.
  • Sometimes it feels like you can't win. If you tell people you are EBF they go on a rant about research that shows formula fed is just as healthy. Same with Vice versa. If you tell them you feed on demand or don't adhere to a schedule you are regaled with how much damage you are doing to your child with your incessant spoiling. But God forbid you tell someone you are sleep training lest you be told of the irreparable psychological damage you are doing to your child. It's like feeling set up for failure any time you are asked a question. If what you are doing goes against what that person chose to do with their child, if feels like they have to defend their choices. It is seriously not a competition!!! Same with talking about milestones. "How is baby doing?" "Oh! She has started holding her head up!" *Side eye glare* "well isn't that nice. MY baby was super early with crawling". Um. Ok. Cool?

Edited for spelling.
    It gets easier to ignore those comments, I remember them getting to me after I had my first. It was really hard for me when people found out I was EFF and I spent many nights crying because people would make me feel like a faliure and bad mom. It wasn't a choice for me for medical reasons and I eventually came to terms with it. Just try to enjoy this time because it flys by and before you know it your kids are in school! 
  • I only have a newborn, no other children but it's so hard to make dinner and eat it. My husband works nights so I'm by myself at night and my LO loves to be held. I'm nervous wearing him while cooking though. I don't want to burn him or splatter him.

• I only have a newborn, no other children but it's so hard to make dinner and eat it. My husband works nights so I'm by myself at night and my LO loves to be held. I'm nervous wearing him while cooking though. I don't want to burn him or splatter him.
    Yes. This. She can be completely asleep but as soon as she knows I'm getting close to eating, she loses her mind and either wants to be held or wants to eat herself. I've worn her a couple of times once the food is on the table. But the other day I was feeding her at the table and dropped sauce on her arm on its way to my mouth. Licked it off her arm. My husband just shook his head at me.
  • Random: we went to give her a sink bath and husband took off her diaper and wiped her down. He was carrying her in to the kitchen and admiring how tiny her cute tushy is in his hand (usually it is diaper clad and feels different when she is nakey) when she pooped in his hand. He tried to hold himself together but i couldn't stop laughing long enough to help him. Finally got the water turned on but was standing cross legged because I was going to wet my pants. He kept saying "it was so much! How was it so much? Ewww ewww ewww. Why wouldn't you help me? I HAD POO IN MY HAND" and then I wet my pants for real. Apparently the leaking while pregnant has continued over to leaking while laughing hysterically. In my defense, I drank a bunch of water before we went for the walk and my bladder was full. And it was funny as shit. (Shit. In his hand. Best night ever.)
    Haha! I laughed hysterically when my son had a diaper explosion all over my husband. For baths we wrap him in a cloth diaper so that doesn't happen and use that as a liner in his bath tub. 

Yes. This. She can be completely asleep but as soon as she knows I'm getting close to eating, she loses her mind and either wants to be held or wants to eat herself. I've worn her a couple of times once the food is on the table. But the other day I was feeding her at the table and dropped sauce on her arm on its way to my mouth. Licked it off her arm. My husband just shook his head at me.
    I've done this soo many times! LO wants to nurse at dinner all the time I just prop her on my lap with the boppy and put a clean napkin on her and keep eating too. She usually handsome crumbs I have to brush off haha