May 2016 Moms
Options

A Strong Start to Breastfeeding/BFing Q&A

Re: A Strong Start to Breastfeeding/BFing Q&A

• Options
    togmamatogmama member
    Thank you I just need to hear it can be done, with so much working against us! Hugs back xoxo this stress isn't something I wish on my worst enemy lol but I know this is an investment into my baby I will be glad I made
  • Options
    I posted this in the post partum thread but just found this thread so am posting a duplicate of my questions there. 

I'm a FTM and read posts on Kellymom and the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to prepare for breastfeeding. 

My son was in the NICU for a month and we've now been home for three weeks. His due date was last week so, while I'm 8 weeks PP in some ways, I really feel like I have a two week old in other ways. He's only started to act like a newborn over the last couple weeks (preemies younger than that just sleep all day and have limited ability or energy to breast feed, cry etc). Breastfeeding is a challenge. His little mouth was too small for proper suction so we introduced a nipple shield early on. He's decent (albeit a bit sleepy at times) with eating using the shield but I'd like to transition away from it. It makes breastfeeding such an ordeal. 

I currently do the cross body hold where I have his head resting in the crook of my arm on the side he feeds from. This allows my second hand to be free and means I am not hunched into an uncomfortable position. However, I find as soon as I try to feed without the shield, I just can't get him to latch properly in this position or to retain the latch if I do get him on. However, if I hold my breast, and hold his body with my other arm instead, I am hunched over and my arm tends to get tired. Side lying breast feeding hasn't worked at all with my breasts. My breasts just aren't in the right position for him to find them when I lay down this way. Likewise with the semi reclined position. Any other suggestions on a good hold I can use to transition him away from the shield? I will hire a lactation consultant if I can't get the hang of it, but I was hoping to figure it out on my own. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mcb2016mcb2016 member
    @araecasey I met with the LC today. She is certified IBCLC. It didn't go as I had hoped. The baby latches on but isn't transferring milk and my supply is low. He's been losing weight so she recommended upping the supplement and keeping nursing sessions short. (he loves being on the breast but he is getting very little from it and he tires out very quickly) She said I should think about buying a better pump and getting on a pumping schedule. But she was honest and not sure if I would be able to get a good supply even with pumping. I am dealing with high blood pressure after delivery, possible hormonal imbalances (it took me 15 years to conceive this baby) but was never formally diagnosed with anything and recovering from a c-section. I really want to nurse my baby. I'm trying to decided if I should go ahead and order the pump and give it a try or just let this go. :(

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I have a question-
    my baby really prefers one breast (the other one is inverted. We tried the shield and he couldn't get anything, tried just nursing and although it's producing milk he can't get a good enough latch to avoid pain) so right now I'm doing a cross body on just one breast. The issue is my baby seems to be the kind that likes to suckle. Sometimes he'll have a good relaxed latch and I can sit there and feed him for awhile, but sometimes he'll move into a bad latch (he'll pull his head back until just my nipple is in his mouth) and then he'll suck for hours. I can't seem to break the latch myself and when he breaks it he roots and cries till I put it back in and he moves back to that uncomfortable position. I told my DH today I think he needed a pacifier, that maybe like me he's just a kid who likes to suck on things and I didn't think it was good for him to be fussy and for me to be holding back tears during his hour long comfort feedings. He wants to wait until LO is two weeks like the nurses said (he's 6 days old now).
    im not really sure what to do or what is best for us right now. I'm determined to breast feed until it's time to introduce a bottle then we'll do both but a pacifier at 4am when he's already nurses for two hours doesn't seem so bad to me.
  • Options
    @JoMunson I know the pacifier is a highly divisive issue, but I really think if you're offering him the breast first and he's gaining weight/ having wet & poopy diapers, I would have no problem personally with giving him a pacifier. I gave my son a pacifier really early on and we had a long & successful nursing relationship so I'd say if you're dealing with a lot of comfort sucking, go for it!
  • Options
    @JoMunson I know the pacifier is a highly divisive issue, but I really think if you're offering him the breast first and he's gaining weight/ having wet & poopy diapers, I would have no problem personally with giving him a pacifier. I gave my son a pacifier really early on and we had a long & successful nursing relationship so I'd say if you're dealing with a lot of comfort sucking, go for it!
    Thank you! It's only at night too! He's basically a perfect baby from 9am until 10pm
  • Options
    My LO is 5 days old. I was hoping to EBD but it hasn't been the case. She seems to latch on just fine but gets bored or lazy and falls asleep. I strip her down, wipe her with a cold rag, change her diaper, turn on lights and tv, mess with her, but she still falls asleep. I have a shield that I'm going try today but the issue is since I've been pumping and supplementing, it seems like she's figured out she can eat fast from the bottles. Any help on this is very appreciated.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    Am I supposed to be able to feel my let down?? I can tell its pretty strong from the way my LO drinks but I can't feel it.
  • Options
    My mom brain is already in affect. Didn't realize I already asked my same question. Sorry about that.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    seasalt123seasalt123 member
    edited May 2016
    Am I supposed to be able to feel my let down?? I can tell its pretty strong from the way my LO drinks but I can't feel it.
    @ladysamlady I can't feel my let down and know I have an oversupply (as I exclusively pumped the first couple of weeks and was able to keep visual track of production). The last week or so I've started to experience something which may be let down but obviously being able to feel it didn't correlate to how much milk I was producing. 
  • Options
    @LadySamLady I couldn't feel my letdown until maybe 4 or 5 weeks? I think I remember reading that was typical. 
  • Options
    @LadySamLady I could always feel it very distinctly while pumping, but not as much when bf-- the main giveaway for me is a feeling of relaxation and baby's sucking pattern (which will be slower and deeper following a letdown). 

@aehogan90 do you use paced feeding? If not, try doing that for supplemental feedings and baby should get milk at a similar rate to bf -- and hopefully then prefer bf for the skin to skin element. How to: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/
    This also works well if you want to continue to bf as you bottle feed.
  • Options
    Whoa Nelly! Just touching base in the middle of a busy day to say I'll be here this evening to lend a hand. If anyone needs immediate help, please get on la Leche league's website and find a leader nearby you to call. 
  • Options
    Thank you! We talked all day about it and actually got some nice advice from a psychiatrist who did a peds rotation a long time ago (who said go for it) and we are doing it now. It's amazing! He can actually spent time with DH which is nice. It used to be that he had to be with me unless he was completely passed out because he would need to nurse all night long. Now I can confidently say "I fed you for an hour about 40 minutes ago, you're not hungry"
  • Options
    @JoMunson That's great! Nice to have some rest and peace of mind :)
  • Options
    arj14arj14 member

Let's start by sharing where we are with breastfeeding.
    1. First time breastfeeder? Second+ timer?  FTM
    2. What, if anything, have you done so far to prep for breastfeeding?  I have a boppy and am reading this thread *hangs head*
    3. What's your number one burning question about breastfeeding your newborn? (Let's leave questions beyond the newborn era for another discussion)  is it a crazy idea to hope to EBF for just six weeks (length of mat. leave)?  Based on the kind of responses I've gotten from work during pregnancy I don't want tohave to fight through getting time to pump as well.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Jenly17Jenly17 member
    arj14 said:

2. What, if anything, have you done so far to prep for breastfeeding?  I have a boppy and am reading this thread *hangs head*
    3. What's your number one burning question about breastfeeding your newborn? (Let's leave questions beyond the newborn era for another discussion)  is it a crazy idea to hope to EBF for just six weeks (length of mat. leave)?  Based on the kind of responses I've gotten from work during pregnancy I don't want tohave to fight through getting time to pump as well.

Regarding your question: you should nurse as long as you and your LO decide to. Also-you have a right to pump as work! In fact it's the law. Don't feel bullied into ending your nursing relationship because your work doesn't want to make time for you to pump. 
  • Options
    arj14 said:

Also, depending on how well your supply is established and what your work day looks like, you might be able to pull off combination feeding for quite some time- maybe you find the time to pump 1x/ day at work, baby gets mostly formula when you're apart, but you nurse when you're together? Even if it's just comfort nursing and you're supplementing, if you enjoy your nursing relationship it may be worth the extra hassle. 
  • Options
    MsIanMsIan member
    1. First time breastfeeder? Second+ timer?
    First time. 

2. What, if anything, have you done so far to prep for breastfeeding?
    Some reading. A BF'g class. Worked with a LC at the hospital. 

3. What's your number one burning question about breastfeeding your newborn?
    Can you pump before your milk comes in? I'm having a really hard time getting LO to consistently latch and it's really got me down. Last night around 4 AM, I decided to supplement with formula, and again at 8 AM, and then go see the LC again. I know it's hard for some moms but I didn't expect LO to fight me when I'm trying to get him to latch. I was more ready for the painful nipples or engorgement aspect of this. 

Really, I just need some support. My mother keeps saying "he'll be fine! If you're worried give him some formula. Try a bottle. Try to pump." I was a formula baby and she has no idea why she didn't try to BF, so she has no helpful advice to offer. 

4. Experienced nursing mamas, what resource(s) did you rely on most when learning how to breastfeed?
    N/A
  • Options
    Same. I can't feel anything, but notice he slows down.

So I think I've mentioned my problems are all on one side. He nurses perfectly on my left and the right is more of a challenge. Sometimes he doesn't latch properly, sometimes his latch messes up, and I have a blood blister and at one point had a clogged duct. I also think there is some physical reason he is having trouble. Whether I hold him traditionally or football hold, he moves his head the wrong way, puts his hands in his mouth/in his way, sometimes he pushes the boob away from him. Sometimes it seems like he is trying to grab my nipple and put it in his mouth! I always eventually get him latched on, and I never accept a poor latch, but the blood blister hurts reaaaaly bad every time he latches for a few seconds to the point in dreading it. I've done tons of trouble shooting, but I had an idea and wanted to get opinions:

I usually alternate breasts every time. Sometimes he takes both on one feeding, sometimes just one. I try to offer the one that works best first, as they say LO's suck is more vigorous on that breast. However, for the times he only feeds on one side, that makes it the other sides "turn" first, and therefore more painful. Would it mess things up if I always fed from the better side first no matter what? Maybe from the other side only if I feel particularly engorged? I think I'm going to try it, and I don't really mind if it means that side will end up producing less, as long as he gets enough from both combined. Does that make sense?
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    @mslan You can totally pump before your milk comes in- not everybody will see much colostrum come out with the pump, but I was usually able to get a bit. My son always threw a fit in the early days of trying to get him to latch, I remember just crying and my husband trying to hold his hands back because he just kept trying to push away- you're not alone with that! I had better luck hand expressing into a tiny cup- the amount of colostrum you make is so small that putting it in a bottle means you're gonna end up losing a good amount to just like the edges of the bottle, so I fed it to my son with a syringe. I know it sounds like a total pain in the ass, but it's actually not that bad and it's only for a very short time. If you google tutorial videos for hand expressing milk you should find some good information. 
  • Options
    @lalala2004 The only downside I could see with this strategy is just that it sucks to have one of your boobs be way bigger than the other one in the long term. Maybe while you're letting that nipple heal you could pump on that side to keep your supply relatively even?
  • Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited May 2016
    Same. I can't feel anything, but notice he slows down.

So I think I've mentioned my problems are all on one side. He nurses perfectly on my left and the right is more of a challenge. Sometimes he doesn't latch properly, sometimes his latch messes up, and I have a blood blister and at one point had a clogged duct. I also think there is some physical reason he is having trouble. Whether I hold him traditionally or football hold, he moves his head the wrong way, puts his hands in his mouth/in his way, sometimes he pushes the boob away from him. Sometimes it seems like he is trying to grab my nipple and put it in his mouth! I always eventually get him latched on, and I never accept a poor latch, but the blood blister hurts reaaaaly bad every time he latches for a few seconds to the point in dreading it. I've done tons of trouble shooting, but I had an idea and wanted to get opinions:

I usually alternate breasts every time. Sometimes he takes both on one feeding, sometimes just one. I try to offer the one that works best first, as they say LO's suck is more vigorous on that breast. However, for the times he only feeds on one side, that makes it the other sides "turn" first, and therefore more painful. Would it mess things up if I always fed from the better side first no matter what? Maybe from the other side only if I feel particularly engorged? I think I'm going to try it, and I don't really mind if it means that side will end up producing less, as long as he gets enough from both combined. Does that make sense?
    You can feed this way  (I did with DS once he got older and developed a preference) but you will likely eventually have an uneven supply and possibly uneven cup sizes temporarily. You'll still produce to his demand if you favor one side.

You could also continue to troubleshoot. I realized that DS's favoritism came down to 2 things: 1) he liked the breast with the faster letdown-- so does DS2, so I hand express the left a bit to get it ready which solved that problem, and 2) I was actually holding the breast a bit differently on the other side while he latched, so I adjusted. 

Eta I got a blister this time around before DS2's tongue tie was clipped. Keep demanding a good latch like you are, and feeding from it and it should resolve within about a week.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I'm not super worried about my boobs being uneven or having more supply on one side as long as he gets enough. I will still feed him from that side when it really starts to feel engorged, because at that point relief is worth the pain. Hopefully it won't last long and it will heal up, then I can try to go back to normal.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I posted this in the post partum thread but just found this thread so am posting a duplicate of my questions there. 

I'm a FTM and read posts on Kellymom and the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to prepare for breastfeeding. 

My son was in the NICU for a month and we've now been home for three weeks. His due date was last week so, while I'm 8 weeks PP in some ways, I really feel like I have a two week old in other ways. He's only started to act like a newborn over the last couple weeks (preemies younger than that just sleep all day and have limited ability or energy to breast feed, cry etc). Breastfeeding is a challenge. His little mouth was too small for proper suction so we introduced a nipple shield early on. He's decent (albeit a bit sleepy at times) with eating using the shield but I'd like to transition away from it. It makes breastfeeding such an ordeal. 

I currently do the cross body hold where I have his head resting in the crook of my arm on the side he feeds from. This allows my second hand to be free and means I am not hunched into an uncomfortable position. However, I find as soon as I try to feed without the shield, I just can't get him to latch properly in this position or to retain the latch if I do get him on. However, if I hold my breast, and hold his body with my other arm instead, I am hunched over and my arm tends to get tired. Side lying breast feeding hasn't worked at all with my breasts. My breasts just aren't in the right position for him to find them when I lay down this way. Likewise with the semi reclined position. Any other suggestions on a good hold I can use to transition him away from the shield? I will hire a lactation consultant if I can't get the hang of it, but I was hoping to figure it out on my own. 
    How are things going today? If you're still working on ditching the shield, I'd suggest going back to basics: carrying him everywhere skin-to-skin with you, offering to nurse often. If he's cool with losing the shield cold turkey, awesome; if not, and he (or you) gets super frustrated trying to latch well onto bare breast, it's okay to try latching for 5-10 minutes and then using the shield. We don't want to try and starve him into nursing. Kellymom has a great section on coaxing baby back to the breast after a nursing strike, and the process to move from a shield to the breast is similar. You might not have the "perfect" hold for awhile while he's relearning how to latch onto bare breast, but it will come with time and practice.
  • Options

mcb2016 said:
    @araecasey I met with the LC today. She is certified IBCLC. It didn't go as I had hoped. The baby latches on but isn't transferring milk and my supply is low. He's been losing weight so she recommended upping the supplement and keeping nursing sessions short. (he loves being on the breast but he is getting very little from it and he tires out very quickly) She said I should think about buying a better pump and getting on a pumping schedule. But she was honest and not sure if I would be able to get a good supply even with pumping. I am dealing with high blood pressure after delivery, possible hormonal imbalances (it took me 15 years to conceive this baby) but was never formally diagnosed with anything and recovering from a c-section. I really want to nurse my baby. I'm trying to decided if I should go ahead and order the pump and give it a try or just let this go. :(
    I'm so sorry to hear that your meeting didn't go as you'd hoped! How are you doing with everything today? Are you still latching? I'm so sorry I couldn't reply sooner <3 I'm getting pulled in many directions this week.

I'm a little unnerved to hear her recommendations... did she evaluate him for a tongue tie? Did she order blood work to check your hormone levels? I guess I'm wondering how she came to the conclusion that your supply is low and there's nothing to do about it. Did she offer you the option of using a supplemental nursing system (SNS)?
  • Options

aehogan90 said:
    My LO is 5 days old. I was hoping to EBD but it hasn't been the case. She seems to latch on just fine but gets bored or lazy and falls asleep. I strip her down, wipe her with a cold rag, change her diaper, turn on lights and tv, mess with her, but she still falls asleep. I have a shield that I'm going try today but the issue is since I've been pumping and supplementing, it seems like she's figured out she can eat fast from the bottles. Any help on this is very appreciated.
    Hey, how are things going today? I agree with kbrands; if you feel like you need to supplement, it's a great idea to do paced feeds to protect your nursing relationship. Milk comes much faster and steadier out of a bottle than a breast and can definitely make a baby into a lazy nurser. Do you need some resources about paced bottle feeds to get started? If you're interested in weaning her away from a supplement, I can help you with that as well.
  • Options

MsIan said:
    1. First time breastfeeder? Second+ timer?
    First time. 

2. What, if anything, have you done so far to prep for breastfeeding?
    Some reading. A BF'g class. Worked with a LC at the hospital. 

3. What's your number one burning question about breastfeeding your newborn?
    Can you pump before your milk comes in? I'm having a really hard time getting LO to consistently latch and it's really got me down. Last night around 4 AM, I decided to supplement with formula, and again at 8 AM, and then go see the LC again. I know it's hard for some moms but I didn't expect LO to fight me when I'm trying to get him to latch. I was more ready for the painful nipples or engorgement aspect of this. 

Really, I just need some support. My mother keeps saying "he'll be fine! If you're worried give him some formula. Try a bottle. Try to pump." I was a formula baby and she has no idea why she didn't try to BF, so she has no helpful advice to offer. 

4. Experienced nursing mamas, what resource(s) did you rely on most when learning how to breastfeed?
    N/A
    Hey mama, give us some more info about what's going on when you try to latch. What's the scene look like when you decide to try latching him? Is he crying, fussing, rooting, sleeping? How are you feeling while you're trying to latch him? What position(s) are you using? Are you doing lots of skin to skin? Also important to know: when you're supplementing with formula, are you trying to latch first, then offering the supplement? Are you giving it via bottle? What was baby's birth like?
  • Options
    MsIanMsIan member
    @araecasey Okay, so first, update. For the last day or so I began pumping and then last night/this AM my milk really came in. I've nursed today twice so far and LO has nursed. His latch has been pretty good. I've been using the cross cradle hold. He fights a little and then goes for it after about a 5 min struggle. 

To answer your questions: When I try to latch him, I usually have to wake him up. Some times he's drowsy, but calm and other times fussy. I try to calm him before I try to get him to latch, but even then he fights some. I'm more thinking it's the process of being turned on his side to eat. But he doesn't like the laid back nursing. He's pretty much always rooting, right on schedule (every 2-3 hours). 

I really should be doing more skin to skin, so I'll try to start doing it more often starting tonight. 

When I did the supplementing (hoping not to have to again), I wasn't trying to get him to latch first. I was so defeated, I just handed MH a bottle.

Nate's birth was pretty quick and fortunately uneventful. We did skin to skin immediately, but he didn't latch for quite some time--maybe several hours later. The nurses said that's common and sometimes LOs are just tired, so they don't expect much in the first 24 hours.

FX that maybe we're getting into a rhythm? 
  • Options
    KurrantKurrant member
    I'm struggling with a similar issue. For the last week or so LO wakes up every 1-2 hours (she used to sleep for 3 hours consistently besides night time cluster feeds) and she eats for about 10-15 minutes before she has a complete meltdown.  She drops the boob and starts to scream her head off instantly. I burp her and she starts looking for boobs and tries to eat my shoulder so logically I assume she is still hungry.  As soon as I lay her down to eat she starts to scream again and I can't get her latched. When I do manage to get her on she eats for about 3 sucks then starts to make that whine sound for a moment before pushing away and screaming again. I end up giving up and putting her down even though she is still mouthing for food. She wakes an hour or two later and the whole things starts again. I'm worried she isn't eating enough because she still makes the hunger motions when I put her to bed.  My next Midwife visit is Wednesday so I will find out how her weight is going then.  Do I just not worry about this strange behavior? Is there something I can do to fix it?  My main concerns are 1) not enough food for her 2)the breastfeeding relationship is deteriorating for some unknown reason.  I'd also like to note that I think Lucy can get frustrated with my breasts because they are HUGE and she sometimes has an issue getting her latch going at the start as well but the meltdown always happens after 10 or so minutes.

We were going to start bottle feeding pumped milk soon because we have been pretty darn solid till now. She has used a pacifier for a week and a half (with no issues) on the advice of my midwife to help her extreme fuss moments. She said I shouldn't have to worry about nipple confusion since the BFing bond seems good to her. Should I put the bottle off till this sorts itself out?
  • Options
    Kurrant said:
    I'm struggling with a similar issue. For the last week or so LO wakes up every 1-2 hours (she used to sleep for 3 hours consistently besides night time cluster feeds) and she eats for about 10-15 minutes before she has a complete meltdown.  She drops the boob and starts to scream her head off instantly. I burp her and she starts looking for boobs and tries to eat my shoulder so logically I assume she is still hungry.  As soon as I lay her down to eat she starts to scream again and I can't get her latched. When I do manage to get her on she eats for about 3 sucks then starts to make that whine sound for a moment before pushing away and screaming again. I end up giving up and putting her down even though she is still mouthing for food. She wakes an hour or two later and the whole things starts again. I'm worried she isn't eating enough because she still makes the hunger motions when I put her to bed.  My next Midwife visit is Wednesday so I will find out how her weight is going then.  Do I just not worry about this strange behavior? Is there something I can do to fix it?  My main concerns are 1) not enough food for her 2)the breastfeeding relationship is deteriorating for some unknown reason.  I'd also like to note that I think Lucy can get frustrated with my breasts because they are HUGE and she sometimes has an issue getting her latch going at the start as well but the meltdown always happens after 10 or so minutes.

We were going to start bottle feeding pumped milk soon because we have been pretty darn solid till now. She has used a pacifier for a week and a half (with no issues) on the advice of my midwife to help her extreme fuss moments. She said I shouldn't have to worry about nipple confusion since the BFing bond seems good to her. Should I put the bottle off till this sorts itself out?
    I was having issues with huge boobs too and ended up giving up on the boob and pumping. Now that I've got less milk and my boobs aren't as full we still feed 1-2 times per day on her booband the rest is bottles of formula (I hated pumping). My LO wasn't screaming as much as it sounds like Lucy is but neither of us could get comfortable when my boobs were so full. We were both getting frustrated 
  • Options
    Kurrant said:

Hey, Kurrant! Sounds to me like you've got an oversupply going on, especially when you say she starts getting upset about 10 minutes into a feeding. This is because women typically have 2-3 letdowns per feeding rather than one continuous fast flow. The first letdown happens about a minute into the feeding, the second around 5-10 minutes, and sometimes a 3rd around 15-30 minutes. Additionally, the first milk of a feeding is mostly water and sugars, good for satisfying thirst, whereas the milk toward the 3rd letdown (or sometimes even further) is very fatty, good for satisfying hunger. It sounds to me like she's filling up on "watery" milk after the first letdown, but is likely still needing the very fatty milk left in your breasts. Additionally, breastfeeding goes WAY beyond just "hunger." Babies are wired with an intense need to suckle and to be latched onto mom. Being latched organizes neural pathways, teaches babies how to calm, and teaches the brain how to have a circadian rhythm that matches your own. So the fussing to nurse, but then fussing at the breast ordeal could very likely be that she really really wants to comfort nurse for the reasons I just listed, but her tummy is too full of just water. Which as you know, if you guzzle a bunch of water, you feel full, but unsatisfied.

Oversupply is surprisingly common and is often mistaken for low supply. If you're ever concerned that she's getting enough, remember to count diapers (5-6+ wets per day, and frequent poops in the early weeks) and to check on growth. If she's having lots of wets and dirties and she's growing in some way (height/weight or both), the problem is 100% NOT low supply.

I had an oversupply with DD as well, and oftentimes moms will see it crop up after the first big growth spurt because baby is cluster feeding like whoa, which tells your body to step up supply ASAP. So it does, and then baby goes back to needing less milk. Here's what I recommend for oversupply: quit pumping if you're doing that regularly. Some women (like @ayeshaohara I think!) respond really sensitively to pumping. Any time I pumped regularly in the early weeks I noticed my oversupply creeping back up and DD would be miserable. So I'd ditch pumping for now. Also if you're offering both sides during a single feeding, you might try cutting back to just feeding on one breast per feeding. If she's still acting upset 10 minutes into a nursing session, you might try feeding on just one side for two feedings (hand express to comfort on the unused side). This technique is called block feeding and it help babies get to that super satisfying fatty milk I mentioned above.

Hang in there, this is a relatively easy issue to work through, you'll be back to easy breezy nursing in no time :smile: 
  • Options
    mcb2016mcb2016 member
    Does anyone have any experience with taking reglan to help with milk production? I've been using a better pump for two days now and still haven't seen much milk increase. I really don't want to give up as my little one seems to love being at the breast. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @mcb2016 A friend of mine takes Domperidone, Blessed Thistle, and Fenugreek to nurse her little one. She has PCOS that keeps her from nursing without meds, but she's gone on to exclusively nurse (with some formula supplement in the beginning) her little girl for nearly 2 years! If you're interested in reaching out on Facebook, I could put you in touch with her to talk about her journey.
  • Options
    MsIan said:
    @araecasey Okay, so first, update. For the last day or so I began pumping and then last night/this AM my milk really came in. I've nursed today twice so far and LO has nursed. His latch has been pretty good. I've been using the cross cradle hold. He fights a little and then goes for it after about a 5 min struggle. 

To answer your questions: When I try to latch him, I usually have to wake him up. Some times he's drowsy, but calm and other times fussy. I try to calm him before I try to get him to latch, but even then he fights some. I'm more thinking it's the process of being turned on his side to eat. But he doesn't like the laid back nursing. He's pretty much always rooting, right on schedule (every 2-3 hours). 

I really should be doing more skin to skin, so I'll try to start doing it more often starting tonight. 

When I did the supplementing (hoping not to have to again), I wasn't trying to get him to latch first. I was so defeated, I just handed MH a bottle.

Nate's birth was pretty quick and fortunately uneventful. We did skin to skin immediately, but he didn't latch for quite some time--maybe several hours later. The nurses said that's common and sometimes LOs are just tired, so they don't expect much in the first 24 hours.

FX that maybe we're getting into a rhythm? 
    I agree with your nurses, oftentimes babies can be very sleepy, especially following a long labor or a labor with pain meds. Opioids can make our babies sleepy, just like they do to us. DD only nursed a couple of times that first day, but she was fine. 

Ya know, I wonder if he was just looking for that fast flow, especially after receiving a few bottles. If he's still acting cranky about latching, I would pump or hand express for 30 seconds-1 min, just until your milk starts flowing faster, then latch him on and see how it goes. I have more ideas to share if that doesn't work, but I'm apt to sit on them so as not to overwhelm with too much info. I'm glad to hear that your milk is in and he's more interested in latching! Please keep us updated!
  • Options
    I have a question-
    i posted yesterday about how we were finally able to successfully breastfeed on the other side (inverted nipple). He's definitely getting milk on that side but the right breast is about a full cup size bigger at this point. Is the left ever going to catch up?
  • Options
    I had a bit of a scary night/morning. I spiked a fever of 103 caused by engorgement. I had no idea it could cause such a high fever! I'm waiting for LO to finish nursing and then I'm going to pump to drain my breasts at doctors orders. I also have to inspect for mastitis, although I'm fairly certain I do not have it. I was so worried I might have come down with something that my baby girl could catch, and so I'm very relieved that is not the case. I was not waking my LO up to nurse but I think I will from now on, I do not want another high fever like this!
  • Options
    @JoMunson Lefty may very well catch up! Your supply recovers easiest in these first weeks. But also, it's super common for one breast to produce more than the other. I call my right my stud and my left my dud haha. It's not really a dud, but it produces about an ounce less than my right. Congrats again on latching without the shield!!!
  • Options
    @LadySamLady Hey momma, so sorry to hear about your night and your fever! Yes, chronic engorgement puts you at increased risk for mastitis. Wise to both nurse and pump to fully drain your breasts, however try not to make a habit of pumping for a full drain unless you'd like to see your supply (read: engorgement) step up even more. What's better for reducing engorgement and therefore your risk for mastitis is to hand express to comfort only. That means when you're engorged and/or feeling knotty spots in your breasts, hand express just until you feel comfortable again and the knots/lumps are softened. Additionally, even if your breasts don't hurt, ice can help slowly and gently move your supply downwards. The goal is to have soft breasts the majority of the time.

As for feeling pretty certain you don't have mastitis: you would know!! Haha. It feels like the flu. Aches, fever, chills, general malaise. It's hardcore. But still, anytime there's engorgement and a fever, we don't wanna flirt with mastitis. And regarding getting something your little girl might catch, if you DO get an illness, keep nursing!! Your body makes antibodies within 20 minutes of exposure to a pathogen, and those antibodies are transferred to your daughter via milk. Nursing protects her from illnesses you're bound to have during your nursing journey.