May 2016 Moms
Options

A Strong Start to Breastfeeding/BFing Q&A

Re: A Strong Start to Breastfeeding/BFing Q&A

• Options
    @doozer1345 Unfortunately I haven't, at least not that I'm aware. I wish i could give you a solid answer, mama, but there's just no way to know if your surgeon took mostly mammary or fatty tissue or how much. From what I understand it is good that your nipple was left attached. I'd be willing to bet you can nurse at least part time, but no one can tell you right now if you'll be able to exclusively breastfeed. Did you tell your surgeon you'd like to breastfeed again? 

Are your nipples itchy or burning at all? I wonder if you might have thrush? What are you using to moisturize? 
  • Options
    @araecasey I met with a new lactation consultant yesterday after a really rough 24 hours and when she examined my breasts she asked if anyone else had commented that I have low glandular activity. Do you have any experience with that? That diagnosis, coupled with rapid weight loss and output decreasing has our pediatrician advising we supplement. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @araecasey thank you so much for all the advice & resources!
    I'm really curious to try the Laid Back position since that could help make a natural introduction for mom and baby. How do you know where to position the baby? I read the LLL tutorial do you still wait for LO to open and then put them on? Or let them do it themselves? How much help does baby need to get into position? Do you make the "breast sandwich" for them. Any links that have a good tutorial would be awesome. 
  • Options
    @Bltbear82 What's been rough about the last 24 hours? What are the specifics of her diagnosis? Insufficient glandular tissue, or is she saying poor milk transfer? Do you have a history of hormonal dysfunction? Did she check baby for a tongue tie? Is your milk in? Give me all the deets. If you choose to supplement, I would tell you to nurse first for every feeding, then give the supplement via syringe, spoon, or cup. This will protect your latch learning while we get to the bottom of what's going on with the weight loss and drop in diapers. 
  • Options
    @Lusitano8 Place baby belly to belly with you with baby's head on your chest between your breasts, and let baby find the breast and latch by himself. Baby will open wide all on his own without your help! No breast sandwich needed. Babies mostly just need a hand on their back or an arm around them to feel secure, and generally babies will find their way and latch well all on their own. It's pretty incredible, and it's also much less mental and physical work for mom. It CAN be helpful to make sure your nipple is pointing up towards the roof of baby's mouth as he's latching. I'll link a couple videos I like in a little while, although they're not with newborns. 
  • Options
    @Bltbear82 If you're okay with it, I'd really like to give you my number to work through this as quickly as possible. PM if you'd be interested in calling or texting, and I'll shoot ya my number. Forums can be cumbersome for an urgent issue like this. 
  • Options
    Thanks @araecasey, just sent you a pm. 
  • Options
    Bltbear82 said:
    Thanks @araecasey, just sent you a pm. 
    Haven't gotten it yet... gonna pm you my phone number. 
  • Options
    @Lusitano8 Here's a video of a newborn and mom doing laidback positioning (called the Breast Crawl when it's the very first feeding), and the baby in this video finds the breast unusually fast, but it's a great demonstration of what you might see when you try this position. Notice how baby pedals his legs, his head bobs around, he uses his hands to push the breast to a good spot, he opens very wide, all without any direction from mom. This position is instinctual for babies. 

This one is of an older newborn. You'll notice she just holds her baby over the breast instead of placing him on her chest like I've told you to do. This is because he's older and has better head, neck, and trunk control than our newborns will when they're freshly born. So ignore that part where she's holding him over the breast; when you try it, lie baby tummy to tummy with you with head between your breasts. I like this video because it shows baby's reflexes again, the head bobbing, shaking his head back and forth over the nipple to stimulate his latching reflexes. And I really like that it shows the interaction between mom and baby. Notice how mom helps by wrapping her arms around baby to keep him stable and comfortable. Every once in a while she might point her nipple upwards, but for the most part she's pretty hands off and relaxed. 
  • Options
    araecaseyaraecasey member
    edited April 2016
    Edit: deleted for duplicate post
  • Options
    @araecasey  the videos are amazing! I want to try this but it's still intimidating! Babies are magic I guess. 
  • Options
    Pumping question: So I'm pretty sure just by looking that the flanges for my pump are going to be too big on my nipples. Should I go ahead and just get some insert things now? I don't want to wait and find out they don't work well when I go to use it....
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    vinerievinerie member
    1. First time breastfeeder? First-timer
    2. What, if anything, have you done so far to prep for breastfeeding? Took a b/f class, also discussed in my birthing class. Of course reading, too.
    3. What's your number one burning question about breastfeeding your newborn? (Let's leave questions beyond the newborn era for another discussion): How to do it while keeping my sanity. I know it sounds selfish, but I'm worried about sleep deprivation. Surely women must be able to go to sleep sometime in that first 4-6 weeks, right? Also, our b/f class instructor told us something interesting; when teen moms give birth, in her experience, they are the least likely to have issues. And she attributed that to them not overthinking it and being typical "cocky" teenagers. She said b/f is 90% mental. So for me I want to stay relaxed and positive. Which is related to the sleep deprivation issue above. So it's not entirely selfish; if I can have some rest, I suspect I'll be in a better place mentally, which will lead to more successful b/f.

4. Experienced nursing mamas, what resource(s) did you rely on most when learning how to breastfeed? 

Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited May 2016
    Pumping question: So I'm pretty sure just by looking that the flanges for my pump are going to be too big on my nipples. Should I go ahead and just get some insert things now? I don't want to wait and find out they don't work well when I go to use it....
    It's not so much the nipple size that matters as the size of the cone around the breast; it changes how much breast tissue is stimulated by the suction-- too big and you won't get steady suction, too small and you won't get enough simulation for good output. The nipple area looks huge at first, but nipples really swell up during pumping and you definitely don't want to chafe.

Eta: if you're looking to go beyond the standard flange,  these are my favorite in terms of comfort and supply. They come in a multipack too so you can adjust the size according to breast size/engorgement. https://www.amazon.com/Pumpin-Pal-Super-Shields-Complete/dp/B0085CBA90
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip, @kbrands7 . I watched the video that came with my pump today, and they suggested using one of those as a funnel if pouring milk from a bag to bottle, so at least it wouldn't completely go to waste if I didn't need it after all.

When my pump first came in I was so intimidated by it, but now that I've watched the video, it doesn't seem too bad. I sure am glad it came with a DVD!
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    @lalala2004 You can try them on over your breasts now to estimate if it will be a good fit. Nipple size actually does matter, although I agree with kbrands that your nipples will swell some while you pump. If your flanges are too big for your nipple, the pump will pull too much areola into the flange and won't be able to express milk as well or at all! Too small and not enough areola will be pulled into the flange and you'll likely feel quite uncomfortable.

I like Medela's guide to finding the best fitting flange. You can see that here. I'd recommend starting just with the top portion of the guide that shows you how to measure for the best fit. I also hear nothing but great things about the Pumping Pals that kbrands suggested. I'd get them for myself but they're not compatible with my pump.
  • Options
    @vinerie Not selfish at all!! Actually very wise to know that you'll need to care for yourself too. Your needs are important too. 

Sleep... it's gonna look different for everyone. It depends so much on the little person you're carrying. My daughter was colicky as heck and WOULD NOT sleep anywhere else except for nestled directly beside me with unlimited access to nursing. My sanity saver was utilizing the Safe Sleep 7. It was by far not my first choice, but bedsharing grew on me. My other sanity savers in the midst of breastfeeding a newborn are mom friends, regular, dedicated time to myself (I'm loving yoga and will be figuring out a way to continue that after I get the 6 week all-clear postpartum), insisting hubby step up with housekeeping and baby rearing time, and a baby carrier. 

Also super interesting about teen moms, I hadn't heard that before!
  • Options
    I'm way too tired to read this entire thread...I'm having a hell of a time breastfeeding I'm a few days away from giving up. I can't stand the constant pumping and boob soreness! I was just reading if you're pumping you should pump until no more milk comes out. I'm yet to do that, so I thought I'd try. I'm up to an hour on the pump and still going. Currently at about 450ml pumped so far!!! This is nuts. It may also explain why I never get any relief if they're never getting drained. I hate this so much!! 
  • Options
    @ayeshaohara  I would take that info with a grain of salt- that may be the case if you are EP (not sure, I only did that for like a week to let my nipples heal) but you also want to be wary of developing an oversupply because that can be its own set of troubles. When I was in the first 6 months of nursing my son, I could easily pump 10 oz in 20 minutes and the milk would still be flowing. I usually just pumped enough to feel a bit of relief, and I wish I had pumped even less in the first month because it took a loooong time to get my oversupply issues sorted. Also, I know the early days of nursing suck hardcore, but if it's important to you, stick with it! I had a good friend tell me while I was pregnant that it took her 6 weeks before she didn't hate nursing, so I kept that in my head as my goal. As it turned out, it only took us 3-4 weeks to get into a decent rhythm. All that to say, it gets easier and better!
  • Options
    lalala2004lalala2004 member
    edited May 2016
    @ayeshaohara my SIL had a problem
    with oversupply causing infections and clogged ducts, and she's started taking Lecithin and a Probiotic and it really helped her. I don't see why you would need to keep pumping if you are getting so much out of it. Applying cabbage leaves to your breasts can also help with oversupply, but you have to be careful or it can dry up your supply. I think people are so obsessed with making sure babies eat enough, they don't emphasize that oversupply can also be a problem.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    Ok thanks guys. That's helpful. Basically I have no idea what I'm doing. It's just driving me a little insane to be honest because I feel like we can't find a process that works. The size of my boobs really limits my ability to breastfeed successfully and comfortable that's why I'm pumping. 

@Bellodomani were you oversupplied from the start? If I don't pump enough I'm full really quickly and with boobs this size I'm already incredible uncomfortable so trying to find a balance between relief and supply is tough! 
  • Options
    @ayeshaohara I bet you are tired!!!!!!!! Poor mama! It definitely sounds like you've got a serious oversupply. Let's get to the bottom of this so you can be comfortable, and baby can be fed!

Breastfeeding works by supply and demand. The more milk we take from the breast, the more milk your body will make. So I'd bet you're predisposed to having an oversupply of milk, and then on TOP of that, you're pumping quite a bit, which is telling your body "Hey, we've got a super hungry baby out here, she's been nursing for a whole hour, we've gotta make more milk!" To get control of your oversupply, we need to make LESS demand on the body. It sounds counterintuitive, especially when you're in so much pain from being engorged, but we need to cut back on pumping. 

Yours is a situation that I'm going to give you some information, but I'm going to STRONGLY encourage you to please, please go to a support group or see a Lactation Consultant. Many IBCLCs will do home visits! Please find some in-person help. La Leche is free, most hospital support groups are free and are offered weekly. If you live in a major metro area, I'm positive there's a hospital support group you can go to either today or tomorrow and get immediate help.

So in addition to seeking out some in-person help, here's what you need to do: Instead of pumping "until the milk stops," pump/nurse the 8-12 times a day that baby needs (or nurse on demand if you prefer), limit pumping to 15/20 minutes at a time. Between pumps and nursing sessions, hand express to comfort only. That means you stop expressing milk the moment you're no longer in pain and your breasts no longer feel like rocks. Apply ice packs as needed for your comfort, the cold will also help your supply regulate downwards.

Above all, please do not quit pumping/nursing cold turkey. Moms with oversupply are more likely to get clogged ducts and mastitis when weaning cold turkey. 
  • Options
    Ok thanks guys. That's helpful. Basically I have no idea what I'm doing. It's just driving me a little insane to be honest because I feel like we can't find a process that works. The size of my boobs really limits my ability to breastfeed successfully and comfortable that's why I'm pumping. 

@Bellodomani were you oversupplied from the start? If I don't pump enough I'm full really quickly and with boobs this size I'm already incredible uncomfortable so trying to find a balance between relief and supply is tough! 
    @ayeshaohara  I think I was prone to oversupply right off the bat, because my milk came in with a vengeance the day after my son was born and my boobs went from a C to at least an E. He had all kinds of latch issues and wasn't able to nurse efficiently, particularly when I was so engorged, so I can't imagine my supply was purely in response to him draining the breast, since he was incapable of doing so for the first few weeks. I guess I'll know for sure when I have this baby. I remember it being helpful when I needed some relief but was trying to pump less that I would get in the shower and just hand express a little bit. And those cold pads you can get at target were helpful too, they're expensive but you can re-use them several times. 
  • Options
    How soon is the engorgement going away for y'all? I was engorged for probably two days after milk came in, then I just felt full and would breast feed until empty, but now I just feel regular non BF boobs. I see milk when he drinks, but I do feel like some of his sessions have cut down in time. His weight was perfect at appt so I guess I'll see next week, but curious if others are in same boat? 
  • Options
    1. First time breastfeeder? Second+ timer?
    First baby and first time breastfeeding. 

2. What, if anything, have you done so far to prep for breastfeeding?
    Purchased the PJ's Comfort automatic breast pump through Limerick. Purchased a My Breast Friend, soothies, disposable nursing pads, and nipple butter/nipple cream. Attended a 3 hr breastfeeding class and met with the lactation consultants at the hospital once per day while hospitalized.

3. What's your number one burning question about breastfeeding your newborn? (Let's leave questions beyond the newborn era for another discussion)
    Ok, the cluster feeding is killing me. We are tracking all of LO's activities (diapers, sleep, breastfeeding, baths, etc.) on the Baby Daybook app and LO has breastfed anywhere from 2 to 5.5 hours per day. I'm just so tired that I want to cry. He started out feeding for 10 to 15 minutes per day with a single 1 hour cluster feed, but now all or most of his sessions are at least an hour.  He also randomly cries or fusses at my breast. Does that mean I'm producing too much? Too little? The pediatrician said he would get more efficient at feeding, but when is that supposed to happen? He was a little under 6 lbs when he was born so I'm breastfeeding on demand, but I'm just so tired.
  • Options
    araecasey said:
    @ayeshaohara I bet you are tired!!!!!!!! Poor mama! It definitely sounds like you've got a serious oversupply. Let's get to the bottom of this so you can be comfortable, and baby can be fed!

Breastfeeding works by supply and demand. The more milk we take from the breast, the more milk your body will make. So I'd bet you're predisposed to having an oversupply of milk, and then on TOP of that, you're pumping quite a bit, which is telling your body "Hey, we've got a super hungry baby out here, she's been nursing for a whole hour, we've gotta make more milk!" To get control of your oversupply, we need to make LESS demand on the body. It sounds counterintuitive, especially when you're in so much pain from being engorged, but we need to cut back on pumping. 

Yours is a situation that I'm going to give you some information, but I'm going to STRONGLY encourage you to please, please go to a support group or see a Lactation Consultant. Many IBCLCs will do home visits! Please find some in-person help. La Leche is free, most hospital support groups are free and are offered weekly. If you live in a major metro area, I'm positive there's a hospital support group you can go to either today or tomorrow and get immediate help.

So in addition to seeking out some in-person help, here's what you need to do: Instead of pumping "until the milk stops," pump/nurse the 8-12 times a day that baby needs (or nurse on demand if you prefer), limit pumping to 15/20 minutes at a time. Between pumps and nursing sessions, hand express to comfort only. That means you stop expressing milk the moment you're no longer in pain and your breasts no longer feel like rocks. Apply ice packs as needed for your comfort, the cold will also help your supply regulate downwards.

Above all, please do not quit pumping/nursing cold turkey. Moms with oversupply are more likely to get clogged ducts and mastitis when weaning cold turkey. 
    Thank you for the info. I did actually see a public health nurse (I'm in Canada) and she helped me a lot but I've decided to stop breastfeeding/pumping now. My boobs are killing me (not nipples just my boobs because they're so heavy), my back is killing me from the added weight and it's not helping my state of mind so I decided it's best for baby to have happy mummy and that means I need to stop using my boobs. It's taken me a couple of days to really be ok with this decision but I know that I can't continue on like this. As long as she's getting fed and gaining weight (which she is) then that's the most important thing for both of us right now 
  • Options
    1. STM, but I'd say the first time didn't count toward breastfeeding.  
    2. The only prep I've done is watch some Le leche videos about getting a good latch and purchasing a nipple shield (as a last resort but I'd rather have it knowing that I might need it)
    3. What's your number one burning question about breastfeeding your newborn? (Let's leave questions beyond the newborn era for another discussion)
    Do you have an experience with deeply inverted nipples? Mine don't draw out ever, not even after the few months that I attempted bfing and pumping with my first. I never knew if my pump fit right and we never had a successful latch without the help of a shield. I remember he nursed only a handful of times with the shield before we had switched over to bottles permanently. It was overall a horrible experience and I spent weeks with mastitis. I am so scared this time around but I desperately want to have a better experience and be able to breastfeed. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @AliciaD39 Engorgement lasts for some for a long time, and for others it may never happen initially! Everyone's different. So glad you're done with that phase and onto the much more comfortable phase of having soft breasts again :smile: 

@lbachran Sorry it took me a couple of days to write you back, how are you guys doing with the cluster feeding? Nursing a newborn is intense. I'm bracing myself for feeling that level of tired again. A couple of ideas to help with the soul drain that is cluster nursing: 1. Try out side-lying position. It might bomb, or it might be awesome. 2. If baby's back to birth weight, skip all the tracking. It only serves to remind moms how much their life blew up, in my opinion. If you're nursing on demand and baby's doing well, there's no reason to keep such close tabs on all that. 3. Wear baby in a carrier if you're feeling trapped on the couch/in bed/in the house/can't do anything. <3<3<3 Sending you all my love. I know this is hard and feels like it's forever, but this season will end.

ayeshaohara How are you doing, mama? Please let me know if I can offer any help. Thinking of you, hang in there!

@Unicorn522 I don't have experience with nipple that won't evert at all, but please don't let that take the wind out of your sails. I'm just one momma sharing my knowledge I've gained along the way; I think you should reach out to an IBCLC before baby comes to talk about your first breastfeeding experience and get some expert, in-person advice about your situation.
  • Options
    @araecasey I'm doing really well since I made the decision to stop the pumping and breastfeeding. I've reduced my pumping and used cabbage leaves for a couple of days. I can happily report that my boobs feel amazing today and I'm back in my pregnancy bra without the back extender! I probably have one last pump I'll be able to do either tonight or tomorrow morning. Then it's onto the formula. I miss having her on my boob but my mental state has improved drastically!! It was definitely the right decision
  • Options
    @araecasey, I'm really grateful you replied. Honestly, I'm just doing a lot of of self talk right now because it is so hard to keep at this. I'm the only person in 3 generations of my family to breastfeed and my mother keeps telling me I need to supplement so he'll sleep. She only breastfed me for like a week before switching to formula in bottles and apparently gave me camomile tea in a bottle at night so I would sleep. I don't know whether it was not being breastfed or what, but I've had constant medical problems throughout my life. Migraines since I was 6, severe anemia since I was 11, chronic respiratory infections, and then huge fibroids that without surgery would have rendered me infertile before 25. I don't want my LO to have my problems, it's so hard to be a kid when you're always sick. He's clustering from 1 to 5 AM every night now and it's just so hard, but it will make a difference, right?

Going to try the side lying hold tonight. I also ordered a Ka'tan 2 days ago. We have a Baby Bjorn but it bothered my chest so DH is using it. Hopefully these changes will help.
  • Options
    araecaseyaraecasey member
    edited May 2016
    @lbachran Absolutely nursing makes a difference. I don't like to launch into the benefits of breastfeeding because this is such a sensitive era for new mommas who might have to choose something other than breastfeeding for their little ones, but you don't have to dig far into Google to see all of the wonderful things you're providing your son by nursing. And like I said, this is a season. A hard one! Just read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that newborn nursing is breastfeeding's "dirty little secret" that no one likes to talk about because very often it's not fun. It's a sacrifice. But the payoff is big--and soon this will be water under the bridge, and feeding your little boy will be as easy as popping him on the breast for 5-10 minutes and then moving on with your day.

No one else in my family breastfed either, and it was tough for my mom to understand my goals and what I was going through. Breastfeeding is such a community thing, but it's hard to see that until you're in the thick of it. You're the momma who needs La Leche, who needs other nursing moms around saying, "You can do this. Follow us, you're gonna be okay."

PS, Baby Bjorn wasn't comfy for me either. If you're in a major metro area, you might look into Babywearing International, they have meetings all the time and have a carrier lending library and gals loaded with knowledge about finding the best carrier for you and baby. Seriously awesome, and free to attend meetings to get one-on-one babywearing help.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I've only skimmed the surface of this post so I do apologize if this has already been addressed. Anyone just try and try and try to BF exclusively but baby is just lazy or falls asleep? My LO gets so distracted. I know babies want to sleep and my milk still hasn't come in but she is so uninterested. She will latch and sucks a few times and then out. It's really cute but also not haha. So I met with the LC at the hospital and they gave me lots of good tips and stuff to try but hasn't been super effective. They said last night in the nursery she actually ate a lot of the formula supplemented to her. I will have to pump when I return to work but that won't be for a while. I guess I just would like tips or suggestions from moms who have been there.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    @aehogan90 my son falls asleep a lot, especially at first. I would tickle his cheek or otherwise stimulate him to get him sucking again. Also, it's normal for them to pause after a few sucks and start back up (i didn't know this before). Think about it: When you eat, do you shovel food in your mouth until it's gone? No! You breathe, chew, swallow, relax, etc. 

What reason did they have for giving her formula? A lot of babies find it easier to drink from a bottle and are less likely to want to put forth more effort to nurse.

I would just nurse as often as possible. Any time she fusses, that's your go-to.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    aehogan90 said:
    I'll be honest, I've only skimmed the surface of this post so I do apologize if this has already been addressed. Anyone just try and try and try to BF exclusively but baby is just lazy or falls asleep? My LO gets so distracted. I know babies want to sleep and my milk still hasn't come in but she is so uninterested. She will latch and sucks a few times and then out. It's really cute but also not haha. So I met with the LC at the hospital and they gave me lots of good tips and stuff to try but hasn't been super effective. They said last night in the nursery she actually ate a lot of the formula supplemented to her. I will have to pump when I return to work but that won't be for a while. I guess I just would like tips or suggestions from moms who have been there.
    DS did this. The pausing isn't a problem; the falling asleep before he's actually satisfied is. We worked on his latch to make him more efficient. Unlatch and relatch if you need to being sure that the tongue is low, nipple is at the roof of the mouth, and a large amount or all of the areola is in. We also uses to strip him down to the diaper and feed skin to skin, tickling his cheek, chin, and feet as needed. Hand expressing a bit while baby is actively sucking when he's slowing down a bit can help give him a second wind (just not too much if you have a forceful letdown). 
  • Options
    This video just changed my life. Had to share:

https://youtu.be/XfEV2oLRQy4
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    Well we tried tandem breastfeeding with the twins for the first time this morning. That went well... for all of 2 minutes. 

• Options
    Well we tried tandem breastfeeding with the twins for the first time this morning. That went well... for all of 2 minutes. 

I can't imagine! I've thought more than once "How do people with twins do it?"

My cousin actually nursed twins while still nursing her firstborn! She actually has a public Facebook page called The Crunchy Twin Mom if you want to check it out or ask her questions.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options

I can't imagine! I've thought more than once "How do people with twins do it?"

My cousin actually nursed twins while still nursing her firstborn! She actually has a public Facebook page called The Crunchy Twin Mom if you want to check it out or ask her questions.
    I know they will get better at it as they mature. They would have been 36 weeks today so the fact that they are nursing well solo is an achievement in and of itself. 

But dude... 2 at once is near impossible right now. The nicu nurses keep telling me it will be easier at home. I hope they're right! 
  • Options
    @khochanadel It really is awesome that they're nursing so well at this stage in the game. Way to go to you and your babies! I'm not up on how to nurse twins, I wish I had a solid suggestion for you to make tandem nursing easier. I'm getting ready to tandem nurse my toddler and newborn, but that's a whole different ballgame. 
  • Options
    So nursing while baby is swaddled: Yea or Nay? I've heard mixed things and can't figure for myself if it makes much difference....
    *Siggy Warning*