October 2016 Moms
Options

Super Awesome Honest Giant Baby Names Thread

Re: Super Awesome Honest Giant Baby Names Thread

• Options
    edited April 2016
    @AllyTheKid I was just reading all of the suggestions, but thought I'd throw a couple more out there:
    Johnny Lee
    Johnny Ray
    Johnny James 
    Johnny Chase
    Johnny Jack
     for some reason, I feel like Johnny goes better with a short, one syllable middle name? Hope you'll update us once you decide!

edited for words (sorry I'm always editing. Pregnancy brain is real.)
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid - Cash Johnny would be ok...but not Johnny Cash. I feel like like that would be like someone naming their kid Beyonce Knowles. Just my opinion. It's also an option to have no middle name - sort of different maybe?

@mrscorker - I LOVE Willa Rose. I love the name Willa, really.

@books&icecream - I like all your top 5 names, with Tobias as my first pick and Luka (Luca?) my second. Tobias was my #1 for DS (and I still love it and am bummed we didn't use it) but with a different pronunciation: "Toe-bye-us." I also think Luca is gaining lots of popularity over here, so you might consider that if lots of little Luca's running around bothers you.

You all are going to hate my boy name (maybe) but I'm releasing it into the world since we are having a daughter and then getting H snipped. So I can only use it for future dogs or cats at best:

"Major" <3
    If I had a boy he'd be Major Michael. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Elias (eh-LEE-ahs)
    Luka (LOO-kah) 
    Sebastian (se-BASTCH-en)
    Steffen (SCHTEFF-en)
    Tobias (toe-BEE-ahs)

The following aren't my favorite but have family meaning and are being considered for middle names.
    Alexander (al-ex-ZAHN-dare)
    Konrad (KAHN-rad)

What are your honest American opinions?
    I love Elias and Luka, funny that the pronouciations you listed is totally how they would be pronounced in Tanzania too. Maybe because it was a German colony? So if you ever moved here with those names they'd be said correctly! haha 

With both of those I think Alexander flows best.
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid I was just going to say what @rozANDbenSINCE2001 said: I definitely think Johnny pairs best with a single syllable middle name.

@Mrscorker I love Willa. Love it. So does my SIL but her H vetoed it. 

@books&amp;icecream I really like your name options. I feel like Luka and Konrad are the only ones that will get that exact German pronunciation, and Sebastian would be close. Luka is a favorite of mine so I vote that, with Alexander as a middle since Luka Konrad is too harsh with the double ks.
  • Options
    I honestly can't remember if I posted these or not. The thread is getting long so I apologize if a repeat. We're struggling hard with names and are team green so need both. DD is Adalyn (Addy) Elizabeth.

Boy is pretty much decided on Henry Michael. Or do you guys prefer Harrison Michael? That was our top boys name last time. 

Girl is is where we can't agree. I love love love Vivienne (or Vivianne) but he vetoed. Right now we agree on Emilia but I'm lukewarm on it. It makes me think of the Mexican restaurant Emiliano's. Thoughts? Suggestions? I nearly had him convinced with Evelyn but we decided it's too similar to Adalyn.
  • Options
    @JamieK1882 What if you change the spelling? Amelia? I think the name is very pretty.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @MRSCORKER I think Willa is beautiful! Plus easy to spell and pronounce, and just timeless.

@books&amp;icecream I think all of your name options would work well, though there may be some initial pronunciation questions- particularly with Steffan. Nothing that's the end of the world though, just a quick correction and then move on :)

@JamieK1882 We have a similar boy name debate- DH loves Henry and I'm just lukewarm, whereas I really like Harrison and he is not sold. DH thinks Harrison is pretentious, but I argued that Harrison Ford seems down to earth enough (appealed to the Star Wars fan in him!). I like both Emilia and Amelia, and I think Vivienne is beautiful. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @MRSCORKER I *love* all of those names!  I think Willa is my favorite, I've always liked it.  I don't like Lottie quite as much, but it reminds me of "A Little Princess," which makes me happy  :)  I used to teach a little girl name Hattie (I think she spelled it Haddie) and she was adorable, so I have good associations with that name.  I think they all fit the trend of old-fashioned names without being overly popular.  The middle names with the first names are a bit of a mouthful, maybe consider Rose for all of them?
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited April 2016
    LGW2015 said:
    @JamieK1882 What if you change the spelling? Amelia? I think the name is very pretty.
    Amelia has been our girl pick for years. We're only reconsidering because it's become so popular but I really, really love it. We might suck it up and use it anyway.

@MRSCORKER I *love* all of those names!  I think Willa is my favorite, I've always liked it.  I don't like Lottie quite as much, but it reminds me of "A Little Princess," which makes me happy  :)  I used to teach a little girl name Hattie (I think she spelled it Haddie) and she was adorable, so I have good associations with that name.  I think they all fit the trend of old-fashioned names without being overly popular.  The middle names with the first names are a bit of a mouthful, maybe consider Rose for all of them?
    Yeah, I sort of feel the same way. Rosalie was my grandmothers name which is why I was trying to use that as a middle name but Rose can still be in tribute to her. Willa Rose is definitely my favorite back-up if we decide not to go with Amelia Rosalie (my Gma was Rosalie Amelia). We'll see. I might keep all of these names in my back pocket and see what name fits her when she's born. Or, you know, it could be a boy and none of this matters. lol

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    @kmvisioli @ibabyloveb87 Johnny Grey was my first suggestion and FI shot it down =( He said "I'm not naming my son after a crayon and it sounds too much like gay" seriously dude? You'll want to name him Johnny Cash but not Johnny Grey? Whatever man.
    @shelleybelley81 He won't do Tate because of my love for American Horror Story haha
    @NoraAurora I have put my foot down on Cash. NOT. HAPPENING. And at this point I would be very happy with no middle name!
    @rozANDbenSINCE2001 @Paturkey I like single syllable names, OR names that end in 'er', I think they flow well with our last name. Stranger danger, but his name is to be Johnny ______? Ruttman 

I'm going to take this dilemma to the Baby Name Board overlords I believe.

@MRSCORKER Willa is precious, I love it ♡
    @books&amp;icecream I think Sebastian Konrad sounds neat!
    @JamieK1882 I really like Vivienne and, I'm personally on your DH's side with Henry Michael over Harrison, but what do I know? I can't even pair a name with Johnny lol
  • Options
    kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited April 2016
    @AllyTheKid Johnny Carter, maybe? Sounds kind of like Cash so your h may like it. Johnny Tucker also comes to mind.

eta: the post below also made me think Johnny Harris is kind of cool.
  • Options
    @MRSCORKER I think Willa is beautiful! Plus easy to spell and pronounce, and just timeless.

@books&amp;icecream I think all of your name options would work well, though there may be some initial pronunciation questions- particularly with Steffan. Nothing that's the end of the world though, just a quick correction and then move on :)

@JamieK1882 We have a similar boy name debate- DH loves Henry and I'm just lukewarm, whereas I really like Harrison and he is not sold. DH thinks Harrison is pretentious, but I argued that Harrison Ford seems down to earth enough (appealed to the Star Wars fan in him!). I like both Emilia and Amelia, and I think Vivienne is beautiful. 
    My husband's middle name is Harrison because his mom was in love with Harrison Ford at the time he was born ;) 
  • Options
    @MrsCorker Willa is adorable! But if Amelia is what you've had your heart set on, go with that! Screw popularity! Plus, I don't think of it as too popular of a name.

@books&amp;icecream I love Sebastian. I picture the most adorably and properly dressed little boy when I think of that name.

@jamiek1882 I adore Harrison - and you could call him Harry for short.  So stinking cute.

And, @AllyTheKid Love the middle name being one syllable - it just goes best following Johnny.  I actually really love Johnny Grey, but I know how it is once the Husband puts in his crazy reasoning of why it won't work. Mine seems to associate every name I come up with with some person from his past. I'm like, we're going to run out of names!!  How about Johnny Ray?
  • Options
    Hey guys...mobile bumping so hard to tag but thanks on feedback. I like Henry, and even more so since my mom told me it was my grandfathers middle name. I've just heard it increase in popularity lately.

Personally I don't like Amelia for us. It's a cute name and I know tons of people who have used it, but nms. 
  • Options
    LGW2015LGW2015 member
    edited April 2016
    @JamieK1882 is there a pronunciation difference between Emilia and Amelia? Or is it just the spelling you're not fond of?

i also like Henry! I think that will be our boy middle name.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    At this point the only name on the board is Caroline Christine.. and I'm not 100% on Caroline.. :\ Naming kids is hard, yo!
  • Options
    @JamieK1882 I love Vivienne! There's a girl that works at our restaurant, but she spells it Vivian and she is a sweetheart! I also really love Emilia. They are both very timeless, feminine names and I think they're so lovely! 

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I haven't posted on this thread since I found out we are having a boy... because I have about 57 girl names and like no boy names. :(  The only one I absolutely love was shot down by SO.  (Like @books&amp;icecream , i really like Sebastian, but SO says no. :( 

So now we've only agreed on three names... We don't have any second names picked out... 

- Elliot (so far this is leading)
    - Jonah
    - Adam

Just having a hard time with second names.... Baby's last name is gonna be Goodman... So if we do Elliot, his 2nd name would have to be one syllable, so it isn't a mouthful.  I dunno.  
  • Options
    @annabenanna Elliot Asher was my first thought. Or Elliot Adam
  • Options
    @annabenanna I also love the name Elliot and second Elliot Asher! Good taste @smmatt08
  • Options
    @copperboom86 I don't mind at all if people associate my baby with her character :) (If baby is a girl of course)
  • Options
    annabenannaannabenanna member
    edited April 2016
    Yes!  I'm with @CopperBoom86 , totally think of Gilmore Girls when I think of Lorelai.... it's a beautiful name and I like how it sounds like a song when you say it.  It just rolls off the tongue so well.  I think it's a great name @NicholeL16
  • Options
    We are having a hard time with boy names, mostly.  
    Finnegan Lee is my husband's favorite name.  We would call him Finn.  I like Sawyer and Oliver but don't have middle names picked out.  Probably Lee still - it's my dad's middle name.
    Our favorite girl name is Juliet Elise, though we also like Scarlet.
  • Options
    @annabenanna YES I PERSONALITY NAME GAME! I was just wondering if I was a weirdo for that or if other people do it too haha
  • Options
    @annabenanna YES I PERSONALITY NAME GAME! I was just wondering if I was a weirdo for that or if other people do it too haha
    Yay @AllyTheKid , you're my bosom friend (did you ever watch Anne of Green Gables?) because you like the personality name game too!!!! :)  Give me your names and your personality descriptions please!
  • Options
    gatorMom2014gatorMom2014 member
    edited April 2016
    @allythekid What about Johnny Cruz?  It has that cool factor your husband sounds like he's looking for :)

edit--Crap, I just realized Ted Cruz may have ruined that name.
  • Options
    @annabenanna Elliot is on our boy short list too! My brother is kind of dampening my love for it though, after he told me all the Elliots he's known were weird or special ed.

edit to add: I make my husband pretend introduce himself by any boy named we're considering so I can hear it out loud and imagine it better. Ha
  • Options
    kmvisioli said:
    @annabenanna Elliot is on our boy short list too! My brother is kind of dampening my love for it though, after he told me all the Elliots he's known were weird or special ed.

edit to add: I make my husband pretend introduce himself by any boy named we're considering so I can hear it out loud and imagine it better. Ha
    @kmvisioli isn't Elliot just a great sounding name?  One of my dude friends has already started calling the baby "Big El".  I really like your tactic of making your husband introduce himself with the names you're considering! It makes it real!  My friend also said, "imagine seeing it on a resume."
  • Options
    @kmvisioli isn't Elliot just a great sounding name?  One of my dude friends has already started calling the baby "Big El".  I really like your tactic of making your husband introduce himself with the names you're considering! It makes it real!  My friend also said, "imagine seeing it on a resume."
    @annabenanna Yes, the introduction thing, pretending to call your kid by their full name up the stairs or out the back door, giving the name when you make a restaurant reservation or order your coffee...all good tricks to make it feel more real and see how it feels in the actual world. Some names from our list the first time around just felt uncomfortable out loud or didn't sound great on an adult, which we just didn't realize when talking theoretically just the two of us.
  • Options
    Ok so we're having a boy and have been happily set on Rowan Siham. Then someone on this board (can't find the post now) mentioned the name Wilder which I absolutely LOVE! I run a women's empowerment business called Professional Wild Woman, and my husband and my first date was hiking at a place called Wilder Ranch. Wildness and nature are big with us.

But we still really love Rowan, and don't want to let go of Siham because it's my father-in-law's name, so what do you think of Rowan Wilder Siham M_____? Too much, honestly?
  • Options
    @wildmama the two mn thing has been discussed a few times on the baby names board, if you want to read more opinions about it. My brother has 2, so I am used to it and don't have a problem with it. If you were picking just one I really like Rowan Wilder for you!
  • Options
    Yay @AllyTheKid , you're my bosom friend (did you ever watch Anne of Green Gables?) because you like the personality name game too!!!! :)  Give me your names and your personality descriptions please!
    My English class had to read it in junior high so I remember because all the boys would laugh and make boob jokes ;)

Anywho: We have settled for Johnny, buy I had two other names I loved and will use those!

Johnny- Johnny as a child is very sweet, very simple, and always gives 100% This follows him into his teenage years where he is quite bashful, but very passionate about his hobbies. Johnny has a knack for working on Motors like his dad, and idolizes his father. Johnny aspires to be a race car driver like his great grandfather Troy Ruttman and to be the new youngest winner of the Indie 500. Johnny has a heart of gold, a kind disposition, always does what he can to help others, and has very practical expectations for his life. Johnny loves the idea of being a father and will no doubt be a family man. When I think Johnny, I think "Simple Man". Happy man.

Antone (An-ton-nee)- Antone is quiet and reserved until it comes down to business, strong willed, independent, powerful, and successful. He does not take "No" for an answer, and in his adult life often always gets what he wants. Antone is 'firm but fair', but is sometimes a bit pretentious. He is talented and intelligent and he knows it. Real Executive material. This sometimes leads to personality clashes with others including his parents (as he is the perfect combination of both) and possibly partner layer in life. He occasionally needs to be pulled down off his high horse but is an otherwise good guy.

Desmond- Desmond is the rebel, who prefers to always be called Dez. He is the dreamer and creative one in the family whose heart is bigger than his body. Dez is the sensitive one who feels everything just a little more deeply than others. This can be both a blessing and a curse in his younger years until he learns to channel those feelings. Dez is a writer and a musician, lover of life, and a ladies man to the extreme. Dez is a "mama's boy for life", always has something interesting to talk about, an adventure to go on, and is an absolute joy to be around anytime. Money is not of paramount concern to Desmond, and he does what he has to to make what he needs for his next adventure. His ultimate life goal is to make sure he lived life to the fullest.
  • Options
    @gatorMom2014 I can't get on board with Cruz, and his 'cool factor' is real and wearing me thin. His latest suggestion is Craven. Thoughts anyone? I just don't know about it. Is that even a name? Other than Wes Craven, but that's his last name.
  • Options
    F47F47 member
    @annabenanna Jonah is on my list, too. So - I obviously love it. Our top two names are:

Roman Paul
    Jonah Paul

Paul is my FIL name, so it's a definite. I LOVE the name Jude, but as a huge Beatles fan, I realllly don't think I can get away with Jude Paul (Hey Jude / Paul McCartney). So...that's out.

Thoughts on Roman?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    KaessiKaessi member
    edited April 2016
    I thought we had a name picked out that I loved but DH just decided to veto it & now I'm devastated :( DH is set on a Hawaiian name and for years, he has wanted to name a boy Kai. When we found out we are having a girl, I said that I actually liked Kai as a girl name. He seemed to be in agreement. My maternal great grandmother's name was Elizabeth & Kai Elizabeth is what I've been doodling & calling the baby. Just fits - seems strong, yet feminine to me, and I love it. A little different, but not too different. Two nights ago he decides that he thinks Kai is too masculine & he hates Elizabeth. Ugh, why are men so freakin' difficult?! Thus far he has suggested Ualani & Iolani. Umm no. He may possibly come around to Kai if I hound him enough but apparently Elizabeth is out. Any suggestions on a possible name to go with Kai or something else with a bit of a Hawaiian flair? (Background: We live in Texas but DH previously lived in Hawaii and plans to live there again one day, after retirement. While I like some Hawaiian names, I don't want anything too "out there" and I have to keep in mind that any name we pick will be said with a southern drawl around here so I have to consider that aspect as well).

Edited to add: I have also suggested Kaia which he also vetoed. My Mom's name was Kay & I would like to incorporate a version of that if possible. I was content with Kai Elizabeth because I felt it honored both my mom & his Hawaiian requirement.