May 2016 Moms
Options

How far along are you and how dilated?

Re: How far along are you and how dilated?

• Options
    @Bltbear82 with pitocin, were you hooked up the entire time for monitoring? I just got the pills and I'm contracting/hurting now, but my BP is jumping like crazy so I think they will put me on magnesium so I don't have seizures. I just want to walk around... Blah. 
  • Options
    Maybe this was answered early on - but what are all these early checks for? I'm just 35w3d, so I guess not at the point where I would have been checked, but haven't heard about this from my OB/midwives either. Is there a reason you'd expect to be very far along before 40 weeks when the baby is due?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JennyS86JennyS86 member
    edited April 2016
    AliciaD39 Good Luck with your induction.  They won't let you walk around if they start IV Mag.  :(

Pascal86 Some OBs check your cervix after swabbing for gbs around 36wks.  You can certainly decline a cervical exam until 40weeks - your call!

eta:  I should say most OBs won't let you walk around while on Mag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    AliciaD39 said:
    I'm 35 + 6 days. Starting pills tonight to get things progressing because I'm only 1 cm, thick, and baby is high.

If I wasn't scared enough for induction!
    @AliciaD39I was 40+4 when I was induced and DD. She was way high and I was maybe 2cm when I arrived at the hospital. It took 30 hours or so for her to make her descent and for me to dilate, but it happened. Best of luck to you, mama! 
  • Options
    AliciaD39 said:
    @Bltbear82 with pitocin, were you hooked up the entire time for monitoring? I just got the pills and I'm contracting/hurting now, but my BP is jumping like crazy so I think they will put me on magnesium so I don't have seizures. I just want to walk around... Blah. 
    I was hooked up for monitoring, I was able to walk freely to the bathroom but not like strolling the halls or anything like that. If you're doing an epidural it might help to get it earlier than you think you want it just to relax you enough to dilate more and bring you BP down too since you're not stressing as much. I got mine a little sooner this time in order to nap and rest my body. 
  • Options
    Merciel said:
    Had my first check today after Friday night's false labor episode. 37w2d, 2 to 3 cm dilated, no effacement number but "soft," baby's head was low enough that it was the first thing the doctor poked when she started the check.

She said "it could be tomorrow or it could be two weeks," but she didn't seem to think I'd make it to the full 40.

I'm just hoping to get another week or two to clear out a little more of my caseload. If the tiny alien could maybe dial it back for a few more days, that would be super.
    Oh girl, I'm with you on clearing out the caseload, and we might have the same due date?! Sounds like your body is getting ready!!!! Fingers crossed we make it through this week! Actually my fingers are crossed for you, because I'm convinced I'll go over again. 
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • Options
    I'm supposed to be due May 14th (up from May 22, since the dating ultrasound didn't agree with my OPK-based prediction way back when...).

Three weeks would have been great, two weeks would have been good, but seriously I'm so desperate, I'll take one week. GIVE ME ONE WEEK.
  • Options
    Ugh the magnesium drip is the worst! Didn't even hold off my labor for long either, jerk. Good luck. Hopefully you won't need it. 
  • Options
    I'm 36 weeks and 2 days had my Dr appt yesterday was told I was 1 cm dilated. 

• Options
    Had my first internal check yesterday at 36 weeks...closed up tight!  Baby needs to hold out till my mom gets here on the 20th anyway, so I'm fine with that.  Now back to counting the days till my last day of work...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm also due the 14th and have been soft and 3 cm for 3 weeks! I'm not going to have her check me today since there isn't really any point and I seem to be stuck at 3. 
  • Options
    Pascal86 said:
    Maybe this was answered early on - but what are all these early checks for? I'm just 35w3d, so I guess not at the point where I would have been checked, but haven't heard about this from my OB/midwives either. Is there a reason you'd expect to be very far along before 40 weeks when the baby is due?
    I was checked at 36 when I got the Group B swab test. I think a lot of practices begin checking at 36W, although I'm not entirely sure why. They told me I was 1cm and 50% effaced at 37W2D. I asked what that meant, and it was clear they couldn't glean a lot of info one way or the other from it (I.e. I was told she "guessed I'd make it to 40 weeks, "but then again, it could happen tomorrow.") Okay then!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    I was checked this morning at 36.4 weeks and am barely 1 cm and about 25% effaced.  My cervix is pretty high as well. My OB was pleased since she doesn't like to see too much dilation before 37 weeks.  I was a little disappointed but I guess she is happy in there for now.
  • Options
    Just got checked again at 37W+2days, I'm a tight 2 and 75% effaced but baby isn't engaged yet. I was 1 cm and 50% last week. She still is really high but dr thinks she is head down so that's good news. 
  • Options
    I am 39 wks. 5 days , 2 cm. dilated, -2 station. I'm guessing I am probably @ -1 station or 0 now, because this morning a big chunk of mucus plug came out this morning @7 and now contractions are starting to roll in right now. @ 1:16pm.
  • Options
    I'm 34w4d & got checked today because my weekly monitoring due to GD showed too many contractions (which i never felt). I'm soft & 3cm dialated but they're not worried. She it's normal for a second baby. She's still high. They just told me to rest more.
  • Options
    37+1 (baby measures at 39+1; Dr. just decided not to change due date) with zero dilation. Cervix is just slightly softened. At this rate, it's gonna be a long time until I meet my baby....
  • Options
    Nadori90Nadori90 member
    edited April 2016
    36 weeks 2 days 3cm dialated and 75% effaced.... My mother and her coworkers seem to think imma pop in the next few days. The doctors want me to go at 38 weeks. Honestly its my first and i have no idea what to expect. And what labor is supposed to feel like.
  • Options
    My first check will be this coming Monday. I was very amused because my doctor very nonchalantly said "next week we will do the strep B test."  If I was a FTM and didn't have this group I wouldn't have known that meant it was this first time in a while I was going to be displaying my lady business. Lol!
  • Options
    @ladysamlady @merciel This is a purely anecdote-based opinion, but it seems to me that cervical checks are only fairly predictive of labor if there's both a lot of dilation and the baby is very, very low based on what I've heard from others. I'm sure there are even outliers there though. Otherwise, it seems to be fairly random. Last pregnancy DS was low, and I was only a tight 1cm and not very effaced just a few days before my water broke and labor started. This time, baby is even lower and I've been dilated a few cm for several weeks now.
  • Options
    I'm 38 weeks today with DS#2 and had a check today. Doctor said I'm at 3 1/2 cm and 70% effaced. Any day now!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    38w+5d. I just had my first check today because my contractions are getting closer and more consistent (as low as 7, but mostly around 10-12 minutes apart). I'm not dialated at all! And I have "quite a bit of thinning out to do." She said I could be in this early labor for at least a few days.
  • Options
    37wks 3cm dilated, 90% effaced.
    39 wks 5cm dilated, 90% effaced. Still at home... But plenty of BH though....
    STM, doc said as soon as I feel contraction, go to the hospital, do not wait... And told me she's on call this weekend... Might see me there... I guess it's any day now
  • Options
    I was checked at 38 weeks and was still closed. Got checked again today (39 weeks) and I'm only 1 cm.  Doctor swept my membranes and been cramping alot since. Hopefully that helps get things going, if not I will be induced on Tuesday..
  • Options
    At my appt yesterday I was 36+3, 1-2 cm dilated and 90% effaced!! I know it doesn't really mean anything, in regards to labor being close, but I am so excited to see progress! Everyone in the world thinks I will go early ... because my belly is huge and because my doc keeps sending me to the hospital for random things that end up checking out OK... and yesterday he said he was confident he'd likely see me for next week's appointment but he's not so sure after that :) 
  • Options
    Had my first check today. I'm 38 weeks, 4cm dilated and 90% effaced. I've been having contractions randomly but she said to go in if they become painful and regular. I'm nervous I won't make to the hospital and I've got DS and the person who will watch him is a 30 min drive away.
  • Options
    I finally get to contribute!

36+1, 1cm dilated, baby is in between -3 and -2 station, and cervix is "very, very thin" according to my midwife, though I wasn't given a percentage.  

Side note, I was really dreading having this done after hearing so many women say how much it hurt but I was pleasantly surprised that it was just more uncomfortable than painful.  I thought for sure that I would be in the group of women who abhor it because I actually found a lot of the poking and prodding that happened during my IVF procedure quite painful.  Maybe I'm toughening up for the birth!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

36+1, 1cm dilated, baby is in between -3 and -2 station, and cervix is "very, very thin" according to my midwife, though I wasn't given a percentage.  

Side note, I was really dreading having this done after hearing so many women say how much it hurt but I was pleasantly surprised that it was just more uncomfortable than painful.  I thought for sure that I would be in the group of women who abhor it because I actually found a lot of the poking and prodding that happened during my IVF procedure quite painful.  Maybe I'm toughening up for the birth!
    FWIW- It was only really painful for me when I was in actual labor. 
  • Options
    I go here now! At my appt on Monday (35+5), I was checked and was 1cm, and soft. Dr. could feel baby's head, so s/he is nice and low. 
  • Options

My first check was easy and totally pain free. I think it only hurts if they try to stretch out the cervix or do a swab.
  • Options
    It hurt me...crampy...had to breathe through it. But it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

I'm 38 weeks tomorrow. Cervix closed but thinning out, though the midwife didn't give me a percentage.
    I will probably decline it next week and let them do one again at 40 weeks.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    36 weeks, 50%, -1, and minimal dilation. Guess all the cramping hasn't been doing much at all!
  • Options
    Gonna be a Debbie downer. Last week OB checked me and said "almost a 2". Was checked by a nurse practitioner (OB was called to delivery) and she said I'm "pretty much closed up". Then proceeds to tell me I'm measuring at 42 weeks versus 38 and scheduled an ultrasound for next weeks appt. Yay for going backwards and potentially having a giant baby!!! ((I'm fully aware this means nothing and measurements can be way off... I'm just being dramatic today :smile: ))
  • Options
    Par13Par13 member
    Had another check today (37 week appt) and no change from last week - still 3cm, 70% effaced, and -2 station.

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Options
    linabparislinabparis member
    edited April 2016
    @Par13 Are you active/walking around or on bed rest? I'm 35w and 3cm and have lots of things to do/walking around but i've been told to rest. Since you've managed to stay at 3cm i'm curious if you still just go about your day or if you do relax/bed rest?
  • Options
    39+4, had my exam yesterday, super thinned out, head very low, cervix still closed! Lol! Guess he is comfy