May 2016 Moms

Night owl thread

Re: Night owl thread

• @Bltbear82 We're about to start a remodel of both our upstairs bathrooms. It'll be a PITA, but I'm so excited about the end product that I'm willing to deal with it. I told the contractor he had to be done by May 1 since in due May 17th. 
  • I have a sleep trick that has never not worked for me. Apparently there is science behind it but I've forgotten what that is. Anyway: 

1. Breathe in for the count of four, out for the count of four.

2. In for eight, out for eight.

3. In for nine, out for nine.

That's it.

If I am really amped up and my heart is racing, I'll do a four count until I calm down a bit, but it's never taken me more than three times through the 4-8-9 progression to fall asleep. In bed, on a plane, lying down, sitting up, it always works. I highly recommend it!

• Loading the player...
  • Update on my diarrhea induced insomnia: turns out I am now legit lactose intolerant! Hooray! I spoke with my OB about it yesterday and she asked about my diet/what I eat before bed and it was usually cereal with cow's milk or graham crackers...with milk, or warm milk and honey. Those things used to help me fall asleep, but now I guess my pregnant body can't handle the lactose. I feel like such a dum-dum that I couldn't figure that out on my own. I did wake up a few times last night (got 85% sleep efficiency according to the almighty FitBit), but it was not for the sh*ts so I call that a win! Of course, what am I drinking right now? A large decaf iced with mocha swirl and...skim milk! Oh well, old habits die hard.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks @yogahh@Bluejay3030@Bltbear82
    I got 3 hrs more before he was up for the day after calling off. Hoping he takes a great nap like he usually does for me. I know the teeth have messed with sleep lately, but I think the past few nights must be growth spurt/new skills clingyness. His appetite has been way up the past few days, he wants to use the toilet over night, and we've hit another mini language explosion. All good things, but last night especially was really rough.
  • @laurenmdrn16 try unsweetened vanilla coconut milk or French vanilla coconut milk creamer for your coffee. Life changing plus no bathroom debacles!
  • @laurenmdrn16 sorry about your weird pregnancy intolerance too. I discovered at 12 weeks that I'm all of a sudden allergic to strawberries (well, I thought it was just strawberries). I ate some and I was itchy all over for days! Then my ob and I finally figured it out. So, haven't had any strawberries. A couple weeks ago I bought a huge thing of blueberries and was snacking on those for a few days straight. Welp (TMI) my girl downstairs flared up like nothing I've seen or felt before and I got little lesions all over down there. I was freaking out! Went to the ob and she said it was an allergic reaction to something I ate and I just knew it was blueberries since those were the first ones I'd had since pregnancy (I usually eat apples, bananas, oranges for my fruit). Darn pregnant bodies! And they can never let you know that you're allergic to something in a nice way. Hoping your dairy induced diarrhea comes to a screeching hault! 
  • JessicaB0627JessicaB0627 member
    edited March 2016
    Update on my diarrhea induced insomnia: turns out I am now legit lactose intolerant! Hooray! I spoke with my OB about it yesterday and she asked about my diet/what I eat before bed and it was usually cereal with cow's milk or graham crackers...with milk, or warm milk and honey. Those things used to help me fall asleep, but now I guess my pregnant body can't handle the lactose. I feel like such a dum-dum that I couldn't figure that out on my own. I did wake up a few times last night (got 85% sleep efficiency according to the almighty FitBit), but it was not for the sh*ts so I call that a win! Of course, what am I drinking right now? A large decaf iced with mocha swirl and...skim milk! Oh well, old habits die hard.
    Oh no! I've always been pretty badly lactose intolerant, but with this pregnancy I'm even having a hard time with my medicine. 

CVS and some other pharmacies sell a brand called Digestive Advantage. There are a few different kinds but they make one specifically for lactose intolerance. It's basically a lactase enzyme in a pill so it helps your stomach break it down. You're supposed to take it every day and then eat normally, but I just take 2 about 30 minutes before I eat dairy. Sorry you're going through that!

Edited for clarity
  • Bltbear82 said:
    @laurenmdrn16 try unsweetened vanilla coconut milk or French vanilla coconut milk creamer for your coffee. Life changing plus no bathroom debacles!
    This. I have mild lactose intolerance even before pregnancy so I usually just deal with it if I know I'm going to be home but coconut milk in coffee is amazing. Even the regular kind adds a nice flavor. :)
  • Have there been no night owls for two days? I'm getting seriously discouraged here...I'm have really bad hip and lower back pain. Saw my physio monday, that didn't really help. Got a massage Wednesday, that at least relieved my poor hips a bit. However, I was still feeling a kink in my lower back. Figured I'd try to see a chiropractor. Did that yesterday...well,
    instead of waking up in pain at 4am, I now woke up in pain at 1:30am. And I have a prenatal class from 9:30-3:30 today. She told me to ice it twice a day for the weekend, so I guess I'll go downstairs and get my ice pack. Seriously, all those who say 'sleep now while you can!' can go f*** themselves. 
  • Hey all you fellow insomniacs! I just wrote a mini novel in FFFC if you want something to read and have a good laugh at my expense:-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited March 2016
    Checking in!  I am about to just give up with trying to sleep and take a shower.  I have an early vet appointment for 2 animals tomorrow (normal stuff so no worries).  This might be good because of only one reason: donuts.  I haven't had any in months and there is a donut shop on the way.  
  • @laurenmdrn16 : good one! I work with picky eaters, and the last two that I had have been 'cured' of their picky eating habits in two sessions. The last one even asked his mom if he could bring broccoli again for his visit to the 'food doctor'. All I did was ask him to take a bite of the food he had previously refused, followed by a bite of his favourite. He ended up finishing both 'new' foods he had brought in, because who wouldn't want to take alligator bites for a whole meal (totally made that up on the spot, big bites where you chew well)?

On my end, turns out I hadn't put the ice pac back in the freezer...so my back is killing me just as much, but I'm now propped up on a ridiculous amount of pillows which helps a bit. But I think I'm starting to get hungry...
  • Been up all night stewing- I'm a SAHM and my DD has been sick for over a week. I've managed to avoid it thus far which is actually a small miracle...well, H who just got sick decided to nap in our bed today (we have a rule about not sleeping in the same bed when we're sick) and now I'm coming down with it. I could kill him! This means I get to take a bunch of placebo type of drugs (think robitussin) and probably start my 3rd round of antibiotics for the year.  Why do men not think sometimes?! Ughhhhhhhhh :neutral: 
  • After a horrible night's sleep last night due to heartburn, I'm awake again, but this time for no explicable reason. 

No heartburn, no pain, I'm comfortable.... I was even resting well enough I kept thinking I was asleep, looked at the clock, and saw no time had past. That's since 2am. I've since given up. Maybe I'll take a nap later.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I've actually been managing to get some decent sleep most nights because of the third tri exhaustion (with the occasional bathroom break and hunger wake-ups), but tonight I'm wide awake because of my TW from Tuesday and some additional stuff she said before she finally left on Wednesday. Grrr. Normally I can just let this stuff slide off my back, but the hormones have me raging and I just. can't. let. it. go.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Been up since 3 worrying about car seats. We're going to look at a new vehicle tomorrow and it needs to fit three across since I'm having twins. I had it all figured out, I need a 52" wide back seat....for two baby seats and a toddler seat. Jebus dumbass, what about when they're in two toddler seats and a high back booster? 
    Why can't you search car seats by width?!?? 
  • Jenly17 said:
    Been up all night stewing- I'm a SAHM and my DD has been sick for over a week. I've managed to avoid it thus far which is actually a small miracle...well, H who just got sick decided to nap in our bed today (we have a rule about not sleeping in the same bed when we're sick) and now I'm coming down with it. I could kill him! This means I get to take a bunch of placebo type of drugs (think robitussin) and probably start my 3rd round of antibiotics for the year.  Why do men not think sometimes?! Ughhhhhhhhh :neutral: 
    That's so annoying! The flu went around my house too- DS, me, then DH. We locked him in the guest room and I wouldn't let him come out until he was 100% better. He kept wanting to come out- but sorry! 
  • kami09 said:
    Jenly17 said:
    Been up all night stewing- I'm a SAHM and my DD has been sick for over a week. I've managed to avoid it thus far which is actually a small miracle...well, H who just got sick decided to nap in our bed today (we have a rule about not sleeping in the same bed when we're sick) and now I'm coming down with it. I could kill him! This means I get to take a bunch of placebo type of drugs (think robitussin) and probably start my 3rd round of antibiotics for the year.  Why do men not think sometimes?! Ughhhhhhhhh :neutral: 
    That's so annoying! The flu went around my house too- DS, me, then DH. We locked him in the guest room and I wouldn't let him come out until he was 100% better. He kept wanting to come out- but sorry! 
    Seriously. Not tooting my own horn, but my household falls apart when I'm not healthy. I can't count on H to clean or do laundry, etc. So when he's sick and gets me sick it infuriates me. Lol. 
  • Went to bed constipated and uncomfortable .... Then woke up around 3am with the tummy gurgles ... Managed to poo 3 times and it's now almost 830. So my insomnia was coupled with lots of pooing . At least it was a relief . What sucks is when you finally lay down and get comfy then realize it's time to poo again ! 
  • I can usually fall asleep just fine, but wake up at 430. Tonight I can't fall asleep at all. Husband...snoring...dog...snoring...other dog...chasing a dream squirrel? I was hoping that SNL would be entertaining since it's election season...but no such luck.
  • edited March 2016
    And I am up. Dr. appt tomorrow morning for LO, regular stuff. I would rather sleep in.  I always say, "but hey I can get donuts on the way" as something to be excited about for the early morning appointments but the truth is I am usually running late so I don't get dounts.  Like last time and the time before that, etc. 

• And I am up. Dr. appt tomorrow morning for LO, regular stuff. I would rather sleep in.  I always say, "but hey I can get donuts on the way" as something to be excited about for the early morning appointments but the truth is I am usually running late so I don't get dounts.  Like last time and the time before that, etc. 

Now I want donuts...

add to that I'm up because of a nightmare about how flabby and gross my belly is gonna look after the twins are born. 
  • Woke up at 3:30 and knew I was in for insomnia for a while. It's been 1 hour so far. Hopefully I can get back to sleep soon so I can get a full nights sleep before my toddler wakes up!
  • DH's sleeping habits have made me dislike him a little (a lot) this pregnancy. He's snoring and sleeping so well while I'm wide awake in the middle of the night. 
  • @doozer1345 Yes! I've been laying here trying not to smother him with a pillow. He can literally fall asleep 10 seconds after laying down and I just don't get it. 
  • Yes!  Forget sleeping like a baby, I want to sleep like DH is able to sleep.
  • Instead of sleeping I've been cleaning out and organizing the house. My husband works at night and sleeps during the day, so I try to wait until the weekends to do heavy cleaning so that I won't wake him up. But nesting is setting in and I cannot stop myself from trying to get the house ready for an infant. I'm 32 weeks and a FTM and wide awake 
  • @JessicaB0627 Yep. That's DH. Makes me ill. I think I may have told DH I hated his face as well this weekend. I'm just so tired.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Yes!  Forget sleeping like a baby, I want to sleep like DH is able to sleep.
    YES! DH sleeps better than any baby I've ever known! 

@doozer1345 Words don't count when you haven't slept!
  • emsnedds said:
    Instead of sleeping I've been cleaning out and organizing the house. My husband works at night and sleeps during the day, so I try to wait until the weekends to do heavy cleaning so that I won't wake him up. But nesting is setting in and I cannot stop myself from trying to get the house ready for an infant. I'm 32 weeks and a FTM and wide awake 
    I'm so jealous of your nesting. I'm 31 weeks today. I hope the nesting bug hits me soon! I've got so much to do and no energy to do it.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• MsIanMsIan member
    I've now been awake for about two hours. I've eaten a blueberry muffin thanks to @yogahh and PP's posts about muffins. I tried to go back to sleep using the 4-8-9 method a PP talked about. Although I can't breathe in a breath of 8 counts, let alone 9. So here I am. I have a doctor's appointment in about 5 hours to determine whether I can go back to work. I'm so anxious. Ugh!
  • edited March 2016
    I just bought DH a present.  I am actually buying gifts for Father's Day early for all the fathers in our lives so I don't have to worry about it with an infant and a toddler.  I will just wrap them and keep them back until the day.  I am also considering buying a take home outfit and also one for my toddler to wear.  Making lots of to do lists.  Wednesday I have a hair appointment early in the morning, I am thinking about donuts again.  That one is so early, super local (unlike most things), and never lasts long (just a cut) so I might have time after to grab donuts too.  
  • @mslan how's BR going?

@camillaandcarson Good idea about Father's Day gifts!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• emsnedds said:
    Instead of sleeping I've been cleaning out and organizing the house. My husband works at night and sleeps during the day, so I try to wait until the weekends to do heavy cleaning so that I won't wake him up. But nesting is setting in and I cannot stop myself from trying to get the house ready for an infant. I'm 32 weeks and a FTM and wide awake 

Same here! For a long time time, I was on that same schedule, but I've recently put myself into the process of switching back to a daytime schedule (which is better for appointments, etc). Now, by the time my husband is finally up, I've lost my nesting groove and all I want to do is eat something and watch Netflix. And go to bed early. Unfortunately, my brain still seems to be stubbornly holding on to that wide-awake-ness between the hours of 4am and 6am...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• First, my fucking cat decides to try and step on my boobs. When I tell him no, he bites me.
    then at 3am he starts walking up and down my body and accidentally scratched my face.
    when my alarm finally goes off at 550am, my dog decides to put all his 50 pounds on my body.
    i seriously cannot.
  • MsIanMsIan member
    @doozer1345 I'm settling in. I've gotten the official "no work until birth" from the doctor so I'm tying up loose ends and choosing my tv and book line up for the month. 
  • Working moms--how are you coping with lack of sleep? It seems to not matter what I do, I wake up every single time I switch sides (and I do so often because I'm so uncomfortable), multiple times to pee (even thought I limit water an hour before bed), and acid reflux. Or, even just a tiny noise from my husband or cat will wake me up. No napping for me--I have a jam packed work schedule where I have to focus and attend (I am a doctor) and when I get home in the evenings I am studying for my licensing exam so I can hopefully have that out of the way before D-day (because studying tired is hard, studying tired with an infant would be infinitely harder!). With caffeine basically off limits, I have no clue how to stay focused at work all day!
  • MsIan said:
    @doozer1345 I'm settling in. I've gotten the official "no work until birth" from the doctor so I'm tying up loose ends and choosing my tv and book line up for the month. 
    I'm sorry hun. I was in your shoes my last pg. We have a couple Entertainment threads on here if you'll search for them in the search bar that lists books, shows, movies, etc that may help expand your list :)
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• @sarahjo842: I was seriously struggling last week and felt like my patience was quickly becoming nom existent (not great as a child psychologist....). I've now gone to a chiro and while the first night after was hell, I've been much better since. I also sleep quite propped up, almost sitting in bed. This seems to be relieving a lot of the pressure on my hips, helping me be more comfortable. Epsom salt bath and hip balancing exercises right before going to bed. I still wake up twice a night to pee, but when I can go back to bed, I can deal with that. I'll be stopping work in 3-4 weeks though, so even if I can't sleep at the end, it won't matter as much. I would have gone crazy if I wasn't able to sleep more than the 3-5 hrs I was getting last week...hopefully I'm not jinxing anything right now!