May 2016 Moms

Night owl thread

I think we are at the point where insomnia is going to set in. I know for me it is! Thought it would be nice to have a place for us to come and bitch about being tired and chit chat until we fall back to sleep.

To get us started a lil GTKY
--what do you do to kill time on these nights when you can't sleep
-- what's your favorite midnight snack

Feel free to resurrect this thread anytime you need a late night buddy!

cat fail animated GIF

Re: Night owl thread

• what do you do to kill time on these nights when you can't sleep
    -- I watch the local 24 hour news channel! Those anchors are so monotone they eventually lull me to sleep. I bump. I check work emails so I have less to do when I get into the office.

what's your favorite midnight snack
    -- cereal. It's quick, doesn't require a lot of thought, and isn't too noisy to make so I don't wake up DH.

ive been up since 2;30. This sucks. I'm normally a really good sleeper. DH thinks it's funny that I sleep straight through the night and never wake up. Welp, not any more. I guess i should get used to it, huh?!

cat fail animated GIF

Usually I am pretty good at just laying there until I get back to sleep. As soon as I get on my phone, I am done for. Tonight I am hanging with H while he plays a video game. He just got off of work.

Popsicles! They get baby moving too which makes me feel like I've got some company.
  • Loading the player...

Usually I am pretty good at just laying there until I get back to sleep. As soon as I get on my phone, I am done for. Tonight I am hanging with H while he plays a video game. He just got off of work.

Popsicles! They get baby moving too which makes me feel like I've got some company.
    Now I want a cherry Popsicle. That sounds so good!

cat fail animated GIF

• I usually try to deny that I'm awake and lay there in the dark for an hour or so until I fall back asleep.  Obviously that didn't work tonight.

I usually refuse to eat a midnight snack because that would mean a) admitting defeat and b) getting out of bed and dragging my butt downstairs.  But while we're on the subject, I'm STARVING right now.  A bowl of cereal sounds delicious!
  • I'm working is why I am up BUT when I can't sleep I read. Usually helps me settle back down to sleep.

Snack for me right now being pg (just had one) is yogurt and fruit. I just had Greek yogurt that was banana and dark chocolate mix with an orange. I love pretzel chips too and then a handful of M&M's. I like the sweet and salty mix.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• edited February 2016
    Air popped popcorn with nutritional yeast and paprika is something I like to make when I can't sleep. Like now. 

Or a banana with almond butter. Or nachos with guacamole on the side. 
  • Air popped popcorn with nutritional yeast and paprika is something I like to make when I can't sleep. Like now. 

I just love how healthy you are and then nachos! Haha. That's the best list.
  • And I'm up :( I guess I can't complain though since Friday night I slept for 11 hours. Figures in back on track for my four hour blocks of sleeping .. Grrrrrr

cat fail animated GIF

• I was doing so well and then I went to my brother's today and got my allergies going from his dog, which made my asthma flare up :( Now I'm out on the couch trying to breathe again so I can fall asleep. The bright side though is my inhaler made the baby decide he wanted to throw a dance party so I'm enjoying some late night movement :)
    TTC#1 January 2013, BFP 7/4/13 MC 8/7/13 D&C 8/22/13
    BFP 5/20/14 CP 5/26/14
    BFP 12/6/14 DD Born an Angel on 7/17/15 at 35 weeks
    An Angel in The Book of Life
    Wrote Down Our Baby's Birth
    And Whispered as She Closed the Book
    Too Beautiful for Earth...
    TTC#2 August 2015 BFP 9/10/15 EDD 5/26/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sleep,
    Why have you left me?
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • No sleep led to ice cream and Fuller House. And I cried during the opening song. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Sleep is completely eluding me. I try different positions, but not much is working. Staying asleep has been the most difficult.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I basically read or write if I can't sleep. If it's really bad, I'll watch tv - usually something that I don't care about retaining, like the news or a sitcom. I try to avoid tv/computer because after a certain point it makes my head hurt.

I don't like eating at night, so I'll drink instead - hot chocolate, tea, warm water and lemon. Anything to stay hydrated since I am always parched. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Why oh why did I stay up to watch the oscars? 
  • Still up here.  At least I have been cleaning (nesting?) so have a reason. 
  • Air popped popcorn with nutritional yeast and paprika is something I like to make when I can't sleep. Like now. 

I just love how healthy you are and then nachos! Haha. That's the best list.
    ;)  Thanks.  The nachos are so good - if we weren't out of chips I would totally make them now.  I use cheddar cheese (liberally) and then throw some black beans, jalapenos, and diced raw onion on top. They are best on a cookie sheet in the oven but the microwave will do if I am short on time. 
    Just cleaned the whole kitchen before I got hungry so I didn't feel like washing the popcorn popper and bowl so didn't make that tonight either. 
    And we are out of bananas. 
    So tonight I just ate a small apple, almond butter, and half a grilled cheese. 

• Well, I've been tossing and turning all night with heartburn and general discomfort, partly from being too hot. I had kept the tums by the bed, but my DH moved them so I had to get out of bed to get them and turn the fan on. I have to be awake in a little over an hour, but I'm hoping I can get a little sleep before then. Tomorrow is going to suck....
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I have been waking up without fail at 3am every single morning and am completely unable to fall back asleep until 5:45am...and then my alarm goes off at 6:15am! Very frustrating! It isn't helping that MH is working super late most nights so he gets home around 2:30-3 anyways so we are both up. But, of course, he can fall right asleep and is snoring by 3:30 and I am just lying awake. And this isn't like the normal "gotta pee" wakeups. I can usually fall asleep fine after a normal nighttime bathroom run. It feels like a light switch has been turned on and nothing I do can get me back to sleep. I have tried white noise, music, meditation, yoga/stretches, snacks (usually cereal or oatmeal), journaling, reading, and yes FB/Buzzfeed/TB. I also found what I believe is a 24-hour Love Boat channel so I have been watching that as well. I feel like I have seen every single episode!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm surprised how late I've been staying up the last couple of nights considering I'm exhausted all day long. Thankfully that seems to mean I sleep a little better and later too. But I'm jealous of anyone who doesn't have the bathroom trips. Blah. 
  • Hello darkness my old friend!
    Up agAin (it is 2:50am here). Sleep is alluding me. I feel si dumb, but should I mention it to my OB at my appointment today? Clearly it is a commin symptom so I don't want to seem like a baby. Oh and the reflux and explosive diarrhea are a nice touch. Ugh.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @laurenmdrn16 It's not an alarming symptom but if it would make you feel better then by all means. Likely they'll just recommend Tylenol PM, a routine, tea, etc. Nothing of worth that will help you stay asleep.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Have you tried working out before bed? I am currently on a 10,000 step per day regime and hadn't moved almost at all during the day, so I had to get in 9,000 steps before bed. I was so exhausted by the time that I was done that I almost slept through the whole night (only 1 bathroom break!!!).
  • Have you tried working out before bed? I am currently on a 10,000 step per day regime and hadn't moved almost at all during the day, so I had to get in 9,000 steps before bed. I was so exhausted by the time that I was done that I almost slept through the whole night (only 1 bathroom break!!!).
    I'm incredibly impressed you've been making it to 10k every day... I'm averaging 7k (pre preg I was always >10k) and thinking "good enough!"
  • Just read this article how to fall asleep and stay asleep. Who knows if it actually works but it seems simple enough to try it. 

• Up with heartburn. Ugh. So miserable right now. 
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • @That1didntcount The other night I ate a plain tortilla with milk. Disgusting to think about but it helped.

I just finished my list of freezer meals. Now I'm going to arrange them in a grocery list like a crazy person bc I'm typing them out to make it look nice. Yep. I'm hoping this is the start at least of nesting.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• For those wonderful nights that DS sleeps through, I can usually make it through with only one wakeup for the bathroom (since I started seeing a chiropractor for weekly hip adjustments and doing some home PT). The past three nights have been uncommonly long wakeups/persistent waking from DS like when he had separation anxiety badly last year. I feel like I'm taped together right now, running on about 10 hrs of sleep over the past 3 nights total. And I have to be up in an hour to get ready for work. I love the toddler cuddles, but at this point, mama needs sleep!
  • I'm up and there's no hope of me falling back asleep now that I've started worrying. Opinions needed, please! We are trying to renovate both bathrooms at the same time before I have this baby so we are temporarily moving out. I'm due May 4 and their tentative start date is March 14. They're estimating it will take a month if everything goes smoothly.

Earlier today I was all on board, but now at 4 am I'm wondering how smart that is. Would you start a renovation at almost 33 weeks if you knew it would take a minimum of 37/38 weeks to finish?
  • @Bltbear82 I think it depends upon whether you'd be comfortable in you temporary space with a newborn in th event that things get delayed-- or if you're willing to compromise on materials if certain fixtures/finishes become backordered.

We've only done one renovation at a time, but we also diy so that's a large part of the reason. Does it cost more with a contractor to do one bathroom at a time? (Even with factoring in the temporary living space?) If not, maybe going ahead with the renovation but keeping a working bathroom up so that you can stay put may be a simpler answer. 
  • kbrands7 said:
    For those wonderful nights that DS sleeps through, I can usually make it through with only one wakeup for the bathroom (since I started seeing a chiropractor for weekly hip adjustments and doing some home PT). The past three nights have been uncommonly long wakeups/persistent waking from DS like when he had separation anxiety badly last year. I feel like I'm taped together right now, running on about 10 hrs of sleep over the past 3 nights total. And I have to be up in an hour to get ready for work. I love the toddler cuddles, but at this point, mama needs sleep!
    Can you take a day off to rest up and get some sleep today?

My sleep through the night streak is over. Woke up at 4:00 starving so I'm sitting in a dark living room eating bran muffins. Hoping to go back to sleep for an hr or two!!

cat fail animated GIF

• I've been awake for about 30 min now, after waking up twice for bathroom breaks. I've been having really bad hip and lower back pain over the last few days...went to PT on Monday but that didn't change much. Getting a massage later today, so here's to hoping....thankfully it's a snow day here for me, so I get to work from home and take it easy. 
  • @yogahh I just called off. DS is still awake somehow  (dude has been up almost continuously since midnight!) and I took a five minute break to cry/reenergize in the hallway because I was/am so spent. DH woke up to offer hugs and urged me to use a sick day. So now DS and I are having a snack too (muffins sound like a good snack!) and we'll try this sleep thing again afterwards. I hope you get back to sleep!
  • kbrands7 said:
    @yogahh I just called off. DS is still awake somehow  (dude has been up almost continuously since midnight!) and I took a five minute break to cry/reenergize in the hallway because I was/am so spent. DH woke up to offer hugs and urged me to use a sick day. So now DS and I are having a snack too (muffins sound like a good snack!) and we'll try this sleep thing again afterwards. I hope you get back to sleep!
    Glad to hear it!! Your mom stays with ds during the day right? Maybe they can go out for a bit so you can get a much deserved nap?? Please rest today- no nesting!!!

cat fail animated GIF

• Thanks to your muffin talk @yogahh and @kbrands7 , I'm now up having a first breaksfast (Cheerios) until my croissants are ready to go. Didn't have anything to make muffin quickly, but I have these awesome frozen croissant from Costco...
  • @yogahh My nightly sitting in the dark eating routine has kinda made me feel like I'm a closet eater. Even though I'm out in the open eating...I still eat like I have prison rules during these escapades. Am I alone on this?
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Thanks @kbrands7, I think it would probably cost more to do them separately and I was worried about having actual construction with a newborn versus just finishing things up. I can't decide what's best and I feel like there's never going to be a good time in the next 6 months. We've been trying to do these bathrooms for months already and it's just now all coming together. So frustrating!

Btw I think our DSs are around the same age - mine is definitely going through a weird sleep pattern. Not nearly as rough as yours sounds, but he's napping an hour earlier every day, waking up an hour earlier in the morning and is crankier much sooner than usual. He's usually a rockstar sleeper (for the last year he consistently slept 7:30-7:30 and I'm so spoiled now). I think it's the 2 year molars and general growth spurt stuff for us, but hopefully you get some rest. Tired mommy and tired toddler makes for a long day. 
  • @kbrands7 I feel drained just reading your post.  I hope you can find some way to get some rest today, please!