April 2016 Moms
Options

**The Everything Random Thread for April Mamas**

Re: **The Everything Random Thread for April Mamas**

• Options
    So I really hate needles, specially the ones that stay in the arm for IV drops etc. Could I possibly request that they do not give me IV as I find them really uncomfortable? 

• Options
    @Knottie9983816 which is why it's not a great idea for anybody to take medical advice from non-medical personnel. Churches should be advising on spirituality or whatever, not women's healthcare. That's borderline fear mongering and I hate it! 

@elasticheart13 it really depends, but in general I would think better to have it put in early on as it would be really uncomfortable to access later on.. you can decline pretty much anything I guess, but there are pros and cons to all of those decisions, obviously. IVs suck though, I would agree.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @elasticheart13 Have you had IVs put in different locations? They can do the back of the hand, the bend of the elbow, and the forearm (maybe more, not sure). I was in the hospital for surgery from an internal MRSA infection (that was fun...) and they didn't originally know what it was or that I stay in the hospital long since they first thought it was just a hernia. In the ER they did the "easy" IV and put it in the bend of my elbow, which ended up staying in for 2 days when I earned myself a week long hospital stay...talk about awful! They ended up transferring it to my forearm, but that vein collapsed after a couple days, and I finished out my stay with it in the back of my hand. (We won't even discuss how I went home with a pic-line IV to give myself IV meds twice daily for two weeks after...yeah...). Anyway, maybe another IV location would be more comfortable if you need to have an IV? It doesn't hurt to ask.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @elasticheart13 @imrachellea what's the IV for again? Just fluids/hydration? I should probably know this....  :#
  • Options
    emgee27 said:
    @elasticheart13 @imrachellea what's the IV for again? Just fluids/hydration? I should probably know this....  :#
    It also allows for quick sedation if you need an emergency c section and IV antibiotics if you test postive for group b strep. 
    Wow how did I miss this! So it sits empty the whole time unless needed? Do they put it in late in labor or right when you check in?

Apologies for all the questions like a noob who could probably google it but I'm sort of dumbfounded I missed this memo!
  • Options
    @AmadorRose

congrats! Enjoy your ice-cream :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    emgee27 said:
    It also allows for quick sedation if you need an emergency c section and IV antibiotics if you test postive for group b strep. 

ETA: you don't need to worry about venous access if you get an epidural, they just use that puncture. IV sedation renders you unconscious through a section. 

Also gonna AW it up because I passed my ACLS written exam! I was so sure I was going to fail that I'm going to go home and celebrate with ice cream :D
    Congrats! So tomorrow may be your practice exam then?
  • Options
    That awkward moment when you're assembling your rock n play and realize you put the bases on backwards and can't undo it so you start crying. Ugh. Stupid hormones!
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    emgee27 said:

ETA: you don't need to worry about venous access if you get an epidural, they just use that puncture. IV sedation renders you unconscious through a section. 

Also gonna AW it up because I passed my ACLS written exam! I was so sure I was going to fail that I'm going to go home and celebrate with ice cream :D
    The megacode is actually starting in about ten minutes, but they let us use cheat sheets for the algorhythms as far as medication admisinistration because, as my instructor put it, that knowledge is for doctors and we're just medics (EMT licensure). Also, in our practice rounds my group is awesome at helping each other out of the lead gets stuck. Hopefully I'll be ACLS certified in the next few hours!
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    emgee27 said:

The megacode is actually starting in about ten minutes, but they let us use cheat sheets for the algorhythms as far as medication admisinistration because, as my instructor put it, that knowledge is for doctors and we're just medics (EMT licensure). Also, in our practice rounds my group is awesome at helping each other out of the lead gets stuck. Hopefully I'll be ACLS certified in the next few hours!
    Oh the megacode!!! Everyone passes, don't worry, just make sure you don't do anything that will kill the patient (like not shocking a shockable rhythm, or not synchronizing the defibrillator for atrial arrhythmias , or shocking asystole, simple things like that). Ah , and if you get a PEA arrest, be sure to say out loud that you are going to check for the Hs and Ts....   You will do great, congrats in advance. :D
  • Options
    emgee27 said:
    emgee27 said:
    Wow how did I miss this! So it sits empty the whole time unless needed? Do they put it in late in labor or right when you check in?

Apologies for all the questions like a noob who could probably google it but I'm sort of dumbfounded I missed this memo!
    I'm not totally sure to be honest. I assumed they'd gain access and use a saline lock to hold the vein, then convert to an IV if you need it. Though I do imagine it'd be easy to get dehydrated if you aren't having more than ice chips...I don't know. I'm only trained to take blood pressure and treat trauma :D 
  • Options
    That awkward moment when you're assembling your rock n play and realize you put the bases on backwards and can't undo it so you start crying. Ugh. Stupid hormones!
    Uh huh...My problem was I didn't do 'both sides at the same time' so there was no give. I got pissed and threw the piece down and SO came upstairs and saved the RNP from destruction.
  • Options
    emgee27 said:
    emgee27 said:

I think mine was put in once I started pain meds (not epidural) a few hours after I got to the hospital. I also got constant fluids and eventually antibiotics when I spiked a fever. So no, at least for me it wasn't empty. They did make me keep it after I delivered and was in recovery for some reason I don't remember

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

So I really hate needles, specially the ones that stay in the arm for IV drops etc. Could I possibly request that they do not give me IV as I find them really uncomfortable? 

You can just tell them no, you don't have to request it. Others made the point that it's there if you need to be sedated quickly in an emergency, which is true, but you have to weigh the other side too: will you being uncomfortable make labor slow to progress and make them up your pit (or put you on it to begin with) and thus increase your 1) discomfort and 2) chance of a c section or other emergent situation. If it were me, I'd do some independent research about it, if it was something that really made you uncomfortable.

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• Options
    @AmadorRose thanks for the info and congrats on passing the exam!!!
  • Options
    @elasticheart13 You clearly haven't read the wonderfully enlightening thread about just this topic on the third tri board.

I often wish I'd never wondered to that board... And just stayed here... It's nice here... O.O
  • Options
    CCLow87 said:

You can just tell them no, you don't have to request it. Others made the point that it's there if you need to be sedated quickly in an emergency, which is true, but you have to weigh the other side too: will you being uncomfortable make labor slow to progress and make them up your pit (or put you on it to begin with) and thus increase your 1) discomfort and 2) chance of a c section or other emergent situation. If it were me, I'd do some independent research about it, if it was something that really made you uncomfortable.
    At my hospital you can't say no :( They set it up as soon as you get into the room (put mine on the back of my hand) just incase i need fluids, antibiotics, etc. Back in December when I had my week long hospital stay I asked to not have it and they said it was something I couldnt decline just in case worse came to worse. It sucked, and they never ended up using it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Oh, you have to assemble it? Lol I have the box there in the nursery & am just kind of hoping it is magically in one piece when I need it (as with all the boxes in there). I'm sure it's not so bad! 
  • Options

TKaiser91 said:

CCLow87 said:

At my hospital you can't say no :( They set it up as soon as you get into the room (put mine on the back of my hand) just incase i need fluids, antibiotics, etc. Back in December when I had my week long hospital stay I asked to not have it and they said it was something I couldnt decline just in case worse came to worse. It sucked, and they never ended up using it.

What do they do if you just flat out say no? Do they kick you out during labor? I just can't even imagine that...

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• Options
    I feel like I need to invest in a new deodorant. My pits have been out of control sweaty and funky these last few days. Secret isn't cutting it. I was sweating my ass off at my shower Sunday. I seriously though SIL left funk on my shirt because she gave me a hug and she was wearing a sleeveless shirt, then I realized, no...it's me. Gross.
  • Options
    yodiggity said:
    I feel like I need to invest in a new deodorant. My pits have been out of control sweaty and funky these last few days. Secret isn't cutting it. I was sweating my ass off at my shower Sunday. I seriously though SIL left funk on my shirt because she gave me a hug and she was wearing a sleeveless shirt, then I realized, no...it's me. Gross.
    I used to use their clinical strength type and I really liked it. 
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    yodiggity said:
    I used to use their clinical strength type and I really liked it. 
    I'll have to try that. Regular just isn't working.
  • Options
    Oh, you have to assemble it? Lol I have the box there in the nursery & am just kind of hoping it is magically in one piece when I need it (as with all the boxes in there). I'm sure it's not so bad! 
    It isn't. Just don't try to be a hero and assemble it without looking at the directions >.< No screwdrivers/hammers required! Unlike the changing table drawers which were hella fun to assemble the other day because my fiancé never puts anything away and I used a butter knife in place of a screwdriver...
  • Options
    So I registered for a rock n play and a swing... the day I thought about taking the swing off the registry my grandparents bought it for us... I haven't unboxed it yet because I'm still debating whether or not I want to return it and get some of the other essentials (my BFF bought the rock n play which I think will be way handier)... thoughts... suggestions?
  • Options
    So I registered for a rock n play and a swing... the day I thought about taking the swing off the registry my grandparents bought it for us... I haven't unboxed it yet because I'm still debating whether or not I want to return it and get some of the other essentials (my BFF bought the rock n play which I think will be way handier)... thoughts... suggestions?
    Ftm so no clue but I am planning on both. We already have the rnp but I didn't get the one that auto rocks so I think the swing would be handy in the hands free department.
  • Options
    yodiggity said:
    Ftm so no clue but I am planning on both. We already have the rnp but I didn't get the one that auto rocks so I think the swing would be handy in the hands free department.
    I kind of feel like they fulfill different needs whereas I am forgoing the bouncer for the rnp.
  • Options
    DS hated the swing. Never got a rock and play. He loved the bouncer. Maybe change out the swing for a walker?

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    yodiggity said:
    yodiggity said:
    I kind of feel like they fulfill different needs whereas I am forgoing the bouncer for the rnp.
    Yeah we are doing without the bouncer due to the rnp too - I've just heard that some babies aren't swing babies, and due to the nature of the base, it takes up a little more room than I originally expected.
  • Options
    It seems like different babies prefer different things. My sister has a RNP, a swing and a momaroo and my niece only ever wants the RNP.
  • Options
    I left my really nice coat in a public place for an hour today. Luckily it was still there when I got back but I almost had a heart attack. I also miswrite things a lot - so I'll think one thing and write down a completely different thing. Pregnancy brain is really hitting me hard!
  • Options
    yodiggity said:
    The best deodorant I have come across is the one from Kiehl's... It's called Superbly Efficiency Deodorant and Antiperspirant, or something like that.
    Sure, it is a cream so you have to apply with your hands. Sure, it's on the pricey side ($20). BUT, it is the most efficacious deodorant I have used - no sweat, no smell, and if you let it dry it is also less likely to leave white stains on clothes.
  • Options
    CCLow87 said:

TKaiser91 said:

CCLow87 said:

What do they do if you just flat out say no? Do they kick you out during labor? I just can't even imagine that...
    Not a clue. I imagine you can decline but then there's more papers to sign saying you know the risks and are declining still. Idk though.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @cmjenkies @yodiggity Seconding the Clinical Strength suggestion! My epilepsy meds make me sweat a little more than average, and that stuff is wonderful. It's a little more expensive but CVS does a buy one, get one deal pretty often so it turns out fine.
  • Options
    I am working late tonight because I had a dr. appt this morning. I am seriously on a high about shitty temp being gone and can't focus on jack..seriously, she was stressing me out. I hope the new temp isn't shitty too. At the very least, she can't be as bad.
  • Options
    cmjenkiescmjenkies member
    edited February 2016
    It is SO dependent on the baby - with DS we had EVERYTHING - swing, bouncer, vibrating seat, RnP.. he only liked the RnP. This time around, I was hesitant to get much of anything else because of him. The only reason I got a swing this time around is because I found this Graco Duet Connect one brand new at the "dented box store" (Bargain Hunt - Target and other stores give them the things that they can't put out on the shelves due to shipping damage to boxes, overstock, etc and sell it for stupid cheap) and I paid less than 50$ for it. (I also got a brand new PnP for less than 50$ and a new RnP for 25$.. on a money saving roll over here, haha). Anyways, it's a swing and a bouncer in one, so I figured at that price I'd give it a shot and we will see what this little lady likes. I could resell for what I paid easily if I don't end up needing it. Point being, if somebody else bought it, I'd be inclined to keep.. OR return and get some essentials plus a small travel sized swing. Best of both worlds?
  • Options
    mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited February 2016
    @elasticheart13 my hospital puts in a hep-lock when you are fully admitted. They numbed my arm and used a hollow needle to insert it, but then it's just a flexible tube with a stopper taped to your forearm. You're not actually attached to anything until you need something, so you can still move around.
    You have to have at least one bag of fluids before an epidural can be placed so it was used for that and for the pitocin. Like others have said, they also use them for antibiotics if needed, short term pain meds if requested and for general anesthesia if you need an immediate ECS and haven't had an epidural. 
    Anniversary