January 2016 Moms
Options

Official Labor Watch Thread (L&D questions, concerns, and announcements)

edited December 2015 in January 2016 Moms
**Taken from Nov '15 Board**
Did your water break? Lose your mucus plug? Sitting in L&D? Are you being induced and worried? C-section? VBAC? Have a question about L&D? Or maybe you just want to tell us what's going on. Cool.

Hey Guys, There was (is?) a thread like this in Nov '15, which was one of my favorite threads to lurk on in that forum. The basic idea was to post if you thought you were starting labor or contractions and when you were headed to L&D. I know this is still early but after my experiences yesterday... maybe not? The early Jan folks are quickly approaching 38 weeks.

Yesterday at work, about 3 pm, I started having pretty regular contractions about every 15-20 minutes. Most were just tightening but some were a little more intense.  I made sure I drank plenty of water and just tried to keep an eye on them. Texted my boss (since if it was the real deal, she'd need to come in for me.) As I got towards the end of my shift, they were definitely 10 minutes and more intense. My coworkers were terrified I was going to give birth at work which amused me a little. Left just a little before my shift when my relief got there. Came home to get hubbie. On the drive home they started spacing out again. Drank a bunch of water and ate dinner. Laid down just to time them. Had my last one at around 1 am and they've stopped completely. I'm a little happy because I'm only 37 &6 and would like her to bake longer but that was a lot of crap to go through for no baby yet! Anyone else having prodromal labor yet?

ETA: @BumpTara , @BumpAdmin, can this be a sticky?

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
Married DH: 2013
DD: Dec 2015
BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Official Labor Watch Thread (L&D questions, concerns, and announcements)

• Options
    That's a crazy story--- like you were so close! I haven't had even a BH yet (I'm 37 + 1), I just want to have one so I know what it feels like. I'm worried I won't know what a contraction is since everyone experiences them differently.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Yes I've had several episodes and they are painful! I guess I just go down the suck and see approach. After a couple of painful hours they normally subside and if they don't I call L&D (been up there once). Very frustrating but hey ho. This is my forth baby so you'd think I would know better! That said these pains are definitely different with each baby - very strange! Xx
  • Options
    I am 37wk today. I never experienced BH with my first and agian so far no BH for me. I just want my Ob made decision to induce me this time also :)
  • Options
    I'm having serious pains in my back and crotch. I'm 36 and 1\2 weeks..and baby is already measuring at 7lbs. I have some BH Contractions and I think I may also be slowly losing my mucus plug but my midwife wasn't concerned at my appt this morning. I'm a FTM so I have no idea what to think! I just know I am miserable!
  • Options
    2 days back I had severe braxton hicks and yesterday I lost my mucus plug. Felt like having period like cramps all day yesterday.
  • Options
    34 weeks and having awful dull lower back pain for a couple days. Baby is 6 lbs, head right on my pelvis and I'm not dilated but I've had some BH that I've had to time.
    I was told if I have more than 6 in an hour in a 2 hour span to call immediately. 

He's either coming early or I'll need to be induced after my due date. I feel like there's no in between. 

N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • Options
    Nausea, back ache, feverish and VERY loose stool. All of which I know can be signs of preterm labour, but can also be plain old pregnancy symptoms. I've been getting BH contractions (not regular or particularly painful). FTM and fiance would have me go in in a heart beat, but I'm holding out for regular contractions. Because it could just go away.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had pelvic pressure for a lot of yesterday, and some moderate period-like cramping for a few hours. I'm thinking little girl is just wiggling her way down, but I'm so excited for labor that basically everything is a sign to me haha.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OP @MammaDoc Should we ask admin to sticky this to the top of the board so it doesn't get buried?
  • Options
    @ambercakes92 and @krisdee123 agreed! And definitely agree they should unsticky some of those things!

Also today I had such severe period cramps while riding in the car with my mom that I felt like I was going to throw up. They felt like they were in my back too, which really freaked me out. Does anyone know how long these period-like Braxton-hicks can go on before the real thing? Cause I've been getting them for about 2 1/2 weeks now.
  • Options
    OP @MammaDoc Should we ask admin to sticky this to the top of the board so it doesn't get buried?
    I edited the original post asking for a sticky but don't know if they saw it or if it really tagged them (not the best at technology!)

@BumpAdmin and @BumpTara  can we sticky this?

• Options
    Ok, so labor question....

Tmi down below!

Last Wednesday (there's a thread around here somewhere) I went to my dr and she told me baby's head isn't in my pelvis like it should be. To kind of encourage him to move down she attempted to strip membranes.... (I'm 37wks and 2 days at that appointment)

Yesterday, I believe I started to lose my mucus plug - very snotty looking discharge-y type stuff when I wipe.

Today at 37wks and 4 days - I think I'm still losing my mucus plug but I noticed a drop of blood when I took a shower and was cleaning my nether-regions....
    I feel a little crampy and super gassy...

Is this normal?
    I could probably google this but sometimes google scares me
  • Options
    I am 37w5d and so very ready for labor to begin -_- this is #3 for me and much different this go round. Both of my previous pregnancies I started dilating very early (35-36 weeks) and stayed at 2-3 cm for several weeks, I remember being like 80% effaced and cervix very low for several weeks also before delivering Dd#1 at 38w6d 6lbs 12oz and Dd#2 at 37w0d 8lbs 1oz. Both healthy term babies with no complications.

Ao I was expecting that by this point with my Ds I would have begun dilation and effacement, and it would happen very slowly over the course of a few weeks like with his sisters. Not so- cervix still very high and only a fingertip dilated, no effacement mentioned at all. Its a bit discouraging frankly- I am worried that I will go over with him and will jave to be induced, which is something I want to avoid like the plague. I don't take medicine of any sort unless its the only option- no pain meds at all for delivery, and really don't want to take pitocin. Midwife said Ds is measuring in the 90th percentile, and she doesn't want me to go past 41 weeks at the latest because he is so big.

I have contractions every day, but nothing regular or intense, and they aren't making any changes to my cervix.

I would really like my laboring to begin, as it is likely to last several days if he is anything like his sisters.

Rant over...

I guess ......
    For now lol.......
  • Options
    abayer1692abayer1692 member
    edited December 2015
    @ambercakes92 I experienced the same thing yesterday! I am so anxious for labor that I think I am reading too much into every possible little tell lol. Hoping that moving and bouncing and rocking on my ball today will help bring DS into place and kick start some REAL contractions lol.
  • Options

Stripping membranes seems a little strange. Your not at 39/40 weeks. What your feeling though is normal. 

Yeah a lot of the ladies that commented on my original post about it said it was strange.
    But I don't think my doctor was trying to do anything bad- I think she was more trying to get baby started moving south on his own (he's stuck right above my pelvis - my dr says by 36 weeks he should be in te pelvis moving down) -- anyway.

I think I got concerned because I haven't seen blood since I got pregnant . But if it's normal then, I guess it's ok -shrugs-

• Options
    Stripping membranes seems a little strange. Your not at 39/40 weeks. What your feeling though is normal. 
    Yeah a lot of the ladies that commented on my original post about it said it was strange. But I don't think my doctor was trying to do anything bad- I think she was more trying to get baby started moving south on his own (he's stuck right above my pelvis - my dr says by 36 weeks he should be in te pelvis moving down) -- anyway. I think I got concerned because I haven't seen blood since I got pregnant . But if it's normal then, I guess it's ok -shrugs-

A little bit of blood after stripping membranes is normal. Your cervix is actually kind of fragile tissue when it comes to bleeding. It has a ton of blood flow so if it gets a little irritated it can bleed. Which is why a lot of pregnant women have bleeding after sex from cervical irritation.

• Options
    I am 36 weeks yesterday and saw dr thursday and he could see i was having mini contractions. He said baby may come in 2 weeks possibly. Baby is head down but sitting loose meaning not 100% in pelvis and been like this since 34 weeks..

I have been feeling braxton hicks tightening in belly area and lightning crotch.. Also yesterday i had slight cramping at front of belly button area and pressure on colon causing me to poop a bit more... All are signs labor could come soon...

I am aware of when the mini contractions are happening but they aren't painful like a period cramp...
  • Options
    @BumpAdmin
    Can we get a sticky for this please?
  • Options

@ambercakes92 I experienced the same thing yesterday! I am so anxious for labor that I think I am reading too much into every possible little tell lol. Hoping that moving and bouncing and rocking on my ball today will help bring DS into place and kick start some REAL contractions lol.

Called the doctor and he says they're just Braxton Hicks...I've never had them before the last couple days, so I had no idea. But I'm still hopeful hahah.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @carlyhammond - That is quite strange. Lots of babies don't move down into the pelvis until much later in pregnancy, sometimes not even until labour. (Especially subsequent babies). A bit of spotting after a sweep is normal, but I would be hesitant to allow your Dr. to do that again until 39/40 weeks. Cramping/gassy feeling is also normal after a sweep. I hope you feel better soon! 
  • Options
    holocene said:

@carlyhammond - That is quite strange. Lots of babies don't move down into the pelvis until much later in pregnancy, sometimes not even until labour. (Especially subsequent babies). A bit of spotting after a sweep is normal, but I would be hesitant to allow your Dr. to do that again until 39/40 weeks. Cramping/gassy feeling is also normal after a sweep. I hope you feel better soon! 

I'm a FTM so I basically have no idea what's going on lol!
    She was doing a pelvic exam when she said it and I didn't even register what she said.
    I didn't think she succeeded because on wednedsay I had no pains.
    Yesterday about 6:30 is when I noticed the snotty stuff coming out of me and I was like "oh" it's still coming out so- it's all good.

My doctor just said that he was sky high and he should already be moving down, but I don't know. I feel like he's working his way down I feel a lot more movement in my ribs (obviously his feet) and pressure on my bladder. I'm peeing Everytime I stand up (meaning I stand up and hav to go pee, not stand and pee my pants --- not yet at least lol)
    It's the spot of blood that scared me, but I haven't seen anymore since my morning shower... Maybe I was too quick to ask about it. I guess it's programmed from first trimester blood = call doctor

Otherwise I feel great.
    I'm super sleepy but, who isn't these days. And I'm super swollen. But the cramps have gone down, baby boy is moving around- jabbing me in the ribs and sticking his butt up in the air when he has the chance.

No more signs of labor yet.
    But, if my mom is right he's coming any day now
  • Options
    38 weeks tomorrow and not a single sign of labor lol. Unless you count random light period like cramps as signs but they're so rare
  • Options
    36 weeks here...STM. The past two days anytime I'm up and moving I have constant crampy pressure. It feels like mild period cramps coupled with pressure from baby. I'm guessing it's more BH since when I lay down its not constant and /or it stops. Anyone else experienced/experiencing this? I know it's definitely regular prego symptoms, but I really need baby to stay put until at least after Christmas. I haven't chatted with doctor, mostly because i figure it'll get worse if it's the real deal.

imageimage

• Options

36 weeks here...STM. The past two days anytime I'm up and moving I have constant crampy pressure. It feels like mild period cramps coupled with pressure from baby. I'm guessing it's more BH since when I lay down its not constant and /or it stops. Anyone else experienced/experiencing this? I know it's definitely regular prego symptoms, but I really need baby to stay put until at least after Christmas. I haven't chatted with doctor, mostly because i figure it'll get worse if it's the real deal.

@HalseytoBe same here!! I'm 36 weeks.. but I've lost my mucus plug! Last night I was laying in bed and my lower back was in so much pain and my belly started tightening .. I walked away and the contractions were coming and going but the back pain was constant & this went on for about a hour. I've had BH ever since, but luckily the back pain stopped. I never had back pain or BH with my first born so this is new to me! My husband wanted to go to the hospital but I just wanted to wait until it got unbearable and when the back pain stopped it just seemed like normal cramping and lightening crotch lol
  • Options
    @babybluu same here. 38 weeks and nothing other than light cramping. I feel dissappinted but I also have the flu. Pushing a baby out while sick is not ideal. I just want to know I am close-ish.
  • Options
    Met with doctor today and she said I'm 90% effaced and only 1 cm dilated and my cervix is still posterior. She said the head was so low I could feel it with my own fingers.

I have had tons of Braxton hicks the last few days and I feel her getting lower. No appetite at all anymore and when I did eat, it sent me right to the bathroom. Praying it's coming soon. I feel it in my bones. Due on Jan 4, which puts me at 37.4
  • Options
    I got put in the hospital today, after an ultrasound because of low amniotic fluid. I have to stay at least till Monday when I turn 37 weeks. They will give me another ultrasound to check on things. Hoping for the best! Very nervous and tired momma, these hospital beds are the worst!!!
  • Options
    MssyMmmy said:

@babybluu same here. 38 weeks and nothing other than light cramping. I feel dissappinted but I also have the flu. Pushing a baby out while sick is not ideal. I just want to know I am close-ish.

Yeah super weird to think of labor ever happening to me lol even though I know it will. And yeah being sick and pushing sounds miserable.
  • Options
    babybluu said:

MssyMmmy said:

Yeah super weird to think of labor ever happening to me lol even though I know it will. And yeah being sick and pushing sounds miserable.
    With my first DD I was really congested and wondering how I would breathe during delivery. Honestly once contractions started I think adrenalin hit as well. I didn't feel sick at all and had no congestion during pushing. It isn't the same as the flu, but I am guessing your body would do something similar.
  • Options
    Ugh, I wish these BH would make up their mind. It's just been annoying all day! 2-3/hr and crampy but not painful. Just enough to make getting stuff done around the house a little difficult. 

• Options
    I am getting over bronchitis and actually broke a rib last night (I'm sure I did, I actually heard it break during a coughing fit, and it felt like someone stabbed me). I've been having some light contractions, and was 50% effaced and 3cm dilated last week. I'm looking forward to hearing where I am at my apt on Tuesday, but now the thought of pushing makes me want to cry with the current level of pain in my ribs.
  • Options
    @ekysel you poor thing! I had bronchitis this pregnancy and I have broken a rib before (so unbelievably painful). I cannot imagine either at this point in pregnancy. Hang in there.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Hi,

The spotting could be from having your membranes stripped. Also, that procedure is often used to " naturally" induce labor. Keep an eye out for a pattern, more bleeding, increased pain, etc. Hope you're feeling well enough, that procedure can be quite painful.
  • Options
    EmmyMommy123EmmyMommy123 member
    edited December 2015
    At 37+6 midwife noticed baby had moved down a little bit, however I still felt his bum (and still do) high enough up that he's in my ribs at times (although not as much as usual).

Saw chiropractor the same day and at 38+2 and noticed after both appointments I could feel baby wiggling down into space she had massaged where I sometimes feel tightness I've associated with RLP. Sometimes it feels like he's pushing his head in my cervix and it is painful! This happens a few times a day at random.

Have had lots of strong movements since 37 weeks and they seem to be getting increasingly intense and routine (midwife also mentioned this can happen when they're working their way down).

I've had painless Braxton hicks I've only occasionally noticed, once or twice a few that felt like period cramps that went away with drinking water/resting. One that felt stronger that woke me from sleep in the night but nothing after that.

This morning/night at 38+4 I had a restless sleep for no discernible reason. My boobs were a bit sore, nipples itchy, and I had a couple sharp but mild pains deep in my breast tissue that urged me to massage one and then I noticed maybe one drop of clear liquid on that nipple. First sign of colostrum I've seen all pregnancy! The pain and itchiness hasn't returned and I've left them alone as I don't want to induce anything.

So it seems things are getting ready, but no clear cut signs of labour!
  • Options
    Aw man, I was hoping I'd be a little more dilated given my scare but still closed. I know it doesn't mean anything but still disheartening. My OB keeps talking about induction if I go past dates because she's worried about her size; I really don't want to be induced!

• Options
    *sigh* I keep getting my hopes up. 38w1d and beyond ready. I've been getting braxton hicks for weeks, all day long. Sporadic and irregular, but the last 3 days they've been a bit stronger, with a few that actually hurt. Been feeling lots of crampy discomfort way low in my pelvis, and it seems like theres more pressure there too, so I feel like baby has dropped. But every single time I get my damn hopes up, things slack off. I have been trying all of the suggestions to get things going (WITH the blessing of my midwife, so please don't lecture my tired and cranky butt lol)- walking, sex, exercise on birthing ball, bouncing, rocking, time on all fours, EPO orally and vaginally, Red Raspberry Leaf tea, nipple stimulation- but at last check cervix was still posterior and only at a fingertip dilated. I know this is unorthodox, but I check my own cervix once a day to see if theres been any changes, and it still seems really posterior. So I keep having stronger contractions and they aren't doing anything.

I keep telling myself to let it go and not focus on it. To focus on Christmas and everything else, that it will happen when it happens. And as soon as I start to relax and stop being so anxious about getting labor started, something will happen that renews my hope- like sudden exacerbation of pressure or discomfort that lasts several minutes, or a few contractions that are painful and stronger than the others.

*sigh* I keep getting myself excited, and then discouraged. You'd think this is my first, but its #3. I never got like this with the other 2.