June 2016 Moms
Options

Natural birth vs. epidural - stories, regrets, etc

Hi guys,
 I'm pregnant with my first, due June 2016. I know I have ways to go still, but all I can think about, 24/7 is the birth. I consumes my mind, and stresses me out so much. I feel like I cannot enjoy my pregnancy. I am going back and forth between a natural birth or getting the epidural. I know each has pros and cons. I will be giving birth in a hospital. My absolute biggest fear is that I might have to be cut. I cannot even fathom this. My doctor says the need for it can be 50-50 (which I think seems high, but who am I). But he is a very good doctor and I do trust him. I have done a lot of research and his reviews are amazing.  I have changed doctors twice since before getting pregnant bc of their opinions regarding certain birthing situations. I don't think changing doctors again will make any difference. They all seem to have some opinion that I disagree with. I guess as a doctor in the medical field, this is what they are taught to follow.  Anyway, I would love to hear some birth stories with and without medication. Also, I am very interested to know if anybody went through with a natural birth but ended up wishing they got the epidural. Thanks ladies =)

Best Answers

• Options
    Emztron500Emztron500 member
    Answer ✓
    Hi! You need to relax :) just write out your birthing plan, make sure you trust your support system (husband, doctor, anyone else who might be present) to follow your wishes as closely as possible. Accept that it may not go the way you want it to. You don't have to plan/manage every single possible eventuality beforehand. Your baby will come out. You will make it through. You will recover.

Also, you totally sound like you would benefit from having a doula. If that's an option.

That said, I'm going to share my birth story! I hope it doesn't freak you out. But I think you will find it interesting given the specific issues you are struggling with.

With my first pregnancy, in the weeks leading up to my birth, my baby stayed very high. She would not engage in my pelvis. This is not entirely normal for a first pregnancy, where the baby is typically engaged by 38 weeks. It worried me, but what could I do? My midwife seemed calm. I was planning a natural birth at a birth center. Drugs would not be available. I wasn't very worried. I was excited!

On a Saturday night 2 days after my due date, I started having contractions. It took about 24 hours for them to be at the frequency/duration my midwife had specified for coming in the center. I called my midwife and went in. I was basically not dilated at all. She sent me home. She told me the baby was still not engaged in my pelvis.

I went home and did some exercises I found online that were supposed to help the baby to engage. They worked, but I shouldn't have done them (more on that later). After the exercises, labour stopped for about an hour. When it started again, it was 10x as painful. Gradually the contractions got close together again. I went back to the birth center at 9:00 on Monday night (I had been in labour nearly 48 hours at this point) and the midwife this time immediately recognized that I was "for real" in active labour now. She started doing paperwork and invited me to relax, make myself at home, walk around if I wanted, whatever. I started pacing around, but the next contraction that hit made me vomit. For the next 10 hours I vomited with virtually every contraction. When I was dilated enough to get into the birth pool, I did so, and it helped with the pain. My lower back hurt tremendously, and I just dug my fists into the base of my spine while sitting in the pool as my poor concerned mother shoveled ice chips into my mouth just for me to throw them up again. My midwife gave me an injection of Gravol and it did nothing to stop the vomiting. I was obviously feeling very rough but was still very calm and patient. I had no concept of the passage of time, I was all lizard brain. My Mum and husband took turns tending to me and trying to keep me hydrated while the other would go and nap (as this was all happening through the middle of the night). I had expected labour to be difficult and painful, and I figured it was going normally.

My midwife checked my cervix at about 6am and told me that I was still a long way from delivering. The baby was descending very slowly. My water had not broken. She wouldn't break it because of the risk of cord prolapse because the baby's head wasn't low enough to "plug the hole", as it were. I was dangerously dehydrated, and I have very hard veins for anyone to get an IV into, especially a midwife who very rarely starts IVs and is trying to get one in when I'm already dehydrated. She told me I had to go to the hospital. I was shocked. I really thought everything was fine. The hospital my midwife could admit me at was about a 40 minute drive. I was still vomiting constantly and at this point was 8cm dilated...the drive was unthinkable. I decided to go to the hospital 5 minutes away, but that meant transferring out of my midwife's care, and into the care of an OB I had never met.

We drove to the hospital. It sucked. Because I had not been intending to deliver in the hospital, we had to go through the entire admitting process when we arrived (normally you would do this well beforehand in anticipation of a hospital birth). I was the stereotypical pregnant lady literally screaming in a wheelchair in the ER while some woman demanded to know all my detailed personal information. Finally they wheeled me to L&D and got me into a bed, and the kindest fairy godmother of a nurse I have ever met immediately handed me a tank of nitrous oxide to take the edge off the pain. She needed to do more paperwork and input information, but first she gave me the nitrous, an IV of fluids, and IV Zofran. I said bye-bye to my natural birth plan and hello to greatly increased comfort. I only threw up twice in the hospital and then the anti-nausea drugs kicked in and I was fine. 

Over the course of the next couple of hours, I was given Fentanyl, which is a very lovely narcotic that made me feel much better for about 5 minutes until it completely wore off. They were only able to give me 4 doses. I was too far along for morphine or any other painkiller because of the risk the baby would be born all doped up. After all my fentanyl was gone and I was still in extreme pain, I asked for an epidural. The anesthesiologist arrived quickly and it was surprisingly not a bad experience to get it injected into my spine. After he left, however, I was in the worst pain of my life. I literally felt like my body was being torn apart and would explode. The nurses seemed confused, and asked, "is it pressure you're feeling?" I said yes, it was pressure, but I was having trouble communicating that it was like the pressure you would feel right before your body burst open from the inside. It was unbearable. They told me "the epidural takes away pain, not pressure" and I burst into tears - I couldn't believe I had finally accepted this huge intervention and it had done absolutely nothing to relieve the pain. I guess they clued in that something was wrong, though, and brought the anesthesiologist back. What was happening, aside from the epidural not working, was my water had STILL not broken and there was a pocket of fluid over the baby's head. Every contraction caused more fluid to push into that little pocket, which then expanded hugely against my cervix and made it feel like I was a balloon about to burst. They fixed the epidural, then the OB came and (finally) broke my water, and I felt a thousand times better and fell asleep.

When I woke up I could feel my contractions but they were much less painful. After being awake and chatting with my Mum, husband, and some sisters who had come to visit for a few hours, a nurse came in and put in a catheter (because you can't get up and pee normally with an epidural - this sucked a lot more than getting the epidural itself). Finally at 3:00 pm on Tuesday, a nurse practitioner came in and told me I could start pushing. After pushing through two contractions, she told me to stop and ran and got the OB. They were muttering about something unusual but I was distracted by my single-minded determination to get that baby OUT. At 3:35pm she was delivered, and the doctor exclaimed "sunny side-up!" That whole time, I had NO IDEA my baby was posterior - meaning she was facing up towards the ceiling (relative to me lying on my back) rather than facing the ground. My midwife and my nurses and doctor also had no idea until they saw her coming down the birth canal. That was why she wouldn't engage in my pelvis, that was why when I "forced" her to engage even though she was in the wrong position, labour was soooo slow and sooooo painful. My poor baby girl had the smooshiest cone-head and a huge bruise on her forehead, but she was out and she was safe and healthy. Every other birth story I've heard that was similar to my own ended with a C-section, and I do credit the fact that I spent most of my time labouring at home and at the birth center with making the doctors a little more patient with me and allowing me to take 9 hours to go from 8cm to ready to push. FWIW - no one cut me, and I had only minor first degree tearing. Most of my post-partum discomfort was related to the catheter, not the tearing.

I was sad about my intervention-heavy birth. In the moment, when I got the drugs, relief was overwhelming, and I do not regret the decision to have an epidural in any way. It allowed me to sleep and rest and make it through the end of my long labour, and when my baby came I was ready to enjoy her and bond with her. I also learned afterwards that in my situation (posterior baby, slow progression) an epidural is actually helpful in moving labour along, as the mother is often extremely tense and in a great deal of pain and the most helpful thing is for her to be able to relax. In most situations, however, an epidural does slow labour somewhat, which is why I was nervous of it in the first place. My 2 pregnant friends delivered in the 2 weeks after I had my baby, and they both had totally natural homebirths. I was happy for them but it also made me feel sad and jealous and inadequate. But it is what it is.

For this next birth, I am planning a natural homebirth. I want to try again and have the birth I didn't get to the first time. But it might not work out. And that's ok.
  • Options
    MDKC14MDKC14 member
    edited November 2015 Answer ✓
    First thing to remember is that your birth goal sheet is just that, a goal you'd like to reach. I will not lie, my first went exactly as I planned/wanted. I went all natural, I didn't tear or need cut, I only pushed for 15 minutes. It was great. But I'm not expecting that with this one because all births are different. All I can do is write out another goal sheet and go with the flow.

Looking back on it I flip flop on whether or not I should have gotten the epidural. I didn't say no to it because I don't believe in it etc. I said no because the idea of a giant needle being inserted in my spine terrified me more than something my body was designed to do. I sometimes wish I'd gotten it so I could have mingled a little more with everyone who was in the room before I started pushing. I wanted to celebrate with my family that we were about to welcome a new life but all I could do was focus on the contractions. My MIL gently reminds me when I bring it up that no one was there to visit and they weren't expecting anything different than just sitting quietly and waiting. When it came time to push I was so tired that when they offered a mirror so I could watch him being born I refused so I could just get it done. Its the only part I regret from the whole thing.

Just remember, you can set plans and goals but don't be upset if something has to be changed. In the end you'll make the best decision for you and LO.

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hockeyfan42hockeyfan42 member
    edited November 2015
    I second what @fishwife799 said. I think going in with an open mind is the best way to go. I would have preferred a natural delivery with my first, but my priority was doing whatever needed to be done to ensure a safe delivery.

ETA: I was induced, did 30hrs of labor (half unmediated) and we tried everything from getting in the bathtub to forceps. I ended up with an emergency CS, but no regrets!
    June 2016 April Siggy Challenge: Reasons my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Like PP said, just keep an open mind. I found that on my last two boards, when people described their birth experiences it was usually "well, I wanted this and that and ended up with the opposite." You just really can't predict what will happen and it is out of your control. For me, I had an epidural with both and have no regrets about anything. With my first, I tore naturally and that kind of sucked, and with my second, the doctor cut me, but he didn't tell me that until after the fact when I asked if I had tore (9 lb, 15 oz baby). I was disappointed to hear that he cut me and have heard that it is better to tear naturally for healing. But, it was too late at that point, so if you have a strong opinion about it, you may want to make sure that you express it to your doctor right away at delivery. I think the only thing I have a strong opinion about when it comes to delivery is not getting induced. I had pitocin with my first, but was already in active labor anyway. I have heard a lot of stories about inductions that don't sound pleasant and many result in c-sections. Of course, there are plenty of situations where it is medically necessary and the best option, so it happens! And if you do end up with a c-section, don't feel disappointed. I never had one, but have known plenty who have and you just have to do what you have to do to get that baby out healthy! And that should be all that matters in the end.
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any stories as I am a FTM too but as far as an episiostomy, its better than having a jagged tear that doesn't repair well.

My plan going in is no epidural for as long as I can stand it only because epidurals do slow labor progression and I want to avoid pitocin or a csection due to labor not progressing. Other than that, I am okay with whatever they need to do to get the baby out safely, even if it means a cesarean.

***Trigger Warning: loss - my cousin opted out of a csection because she wanted a natural labor. I don't know the whole story because she doesn't like to talk about it but from what I know, her baby ended up losing his oxygen supply and dying in utero during labor. To me, THAT is my absolute biggest fear. It's rare but it does happen, even in hospitals **
  • Options
    I wanted to have a natural childbirth. Took all the classes and everything. I labored at home for 24 hours before going into the hospital and after a few hours in the hospital I decided to get the epidural because I just wanted some rest. It ended up being a great decision because I wasn't relaxing into my contractions and after the epidural I went from a 5 to 10 and my water broke in 2 hours.
  • Options
    LizM61409 said:

FTM here but I have no problem whatsoever with getting an epidural.
    There is no other medical situation ever where people turn down pain relief because they want to experience it naturally (ever heard of someone embracing an unmedicated migraine? Didn't think so). Just my 2 cents

Well, I can say I'm one of those crazies that refuses medication for migraines. After suffering for 20 years and having horrendous rebound headaches from multiple prescriptions, I choose to go with a more natural approach (acupuncture, chiropractic, decrease stress, change diet and meditation) and it has worked beautifully for me.
    In response to OP... I used the self meditation that I practiced over the years while trying to manage migraine pain and applied that during labor and had an amazing med free birth with my first. It's possible and doable but I would suggest to anyone looking at a med free birth, to take the natural birthing classes and practice those methods daily prior to going into labor. You can do it without the preparation but I would imagine it would be much harder.

Ultimately the most important thing is that you and baby are safe and your dr is there to ensure that happens. As other PP have mentioned, you can have a plan but please try to be open minded.
  • Options
    I don't have any stories as I am a FTM too but as far as an episiostomy, its better than having a jagged tear that doesn't repair well.
    That's interesting! I need to look more into the tearing vs episiotomy because a friend of mine told me that tearing was actually better, as far as muscle strength and control down the road. But, I admit, I never researched it further. I had both and I did feel like the natural tear was more painful in healing. I'll have to read more information on the subject for this go round.
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

• Options
    I 100% agree with PP's that you have to keep an open mind. While a birth plan can be great, it's just as important to know that what is best for mom and baby may not end up being in that plan. With my first, I went past my due date and had an attempted induction, only to find out that the structure of my hips does not work well for childbirth. I was never even able to dialate past a 1 and had a c-section eventually. I have no regret about how things happened, I tried what the doctor recommended to give birth naturally first and the plan changed. But, it ended with a happy and healthy baby and family!
  • Options
    I've had 2 kids, one with an epi, the other with nothing. No regrets with either.

With my son I went into labor after dinner at it lasted 17 hours. After 12 hours I was so sick and my progression had stalled. I got the epi, and he came with only 10 minutes of pushing a few hors later. No cut, but a small rip.

With dd my labor was only 3 hours. By the time I showered, we dropped off my son, and got to the hospital I was 8-9 cm dilated. We were in the hospital less than 30 minutes before she was born. No cut, very, very small rip and the fastest physical recovery I could imagine.

Both very different, but good experiences with the end result of happy healthy baby at the end. My advice would be allow yourself to be flexible. Don't set yourself up to be disappointed if you need an epi but hasn't planed on it, or the other way around. Be informed, have a plan, and be ready to listen to your body and change the plan as necessary.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    BPaisley said:
    That's interesting! I need to look more into the tearing vs episiotomy because a friend of mine told me that tearing was actually better, as far as muscle strength and control down the road. But, I admit, I never researched it further. I had both and I did feel like the natural tear was more painful in healing. I'll have to read more information on the subject for this go round.

I too have heard episiotomies were no longer standard - and tearing naturally was (in most cases) the preferred scenario? but seriously - I don't even know where I read/heard that.

• Options
    BPaisley said:

I could be totally wrong, I'm going off my high school health teacher in our childbirth unit. Essentially took a sheet of paper and tore it against the grain on one side and snipped it with scissors on the other and said "ladies, which would you prefer, which do you think is easier to repair?". Very simple demonstration but I remember it clear as day 10 years later.
  • Options

And, OP - ditto to everyone else. Go in with an open mind. If you decide you would like to have a natural birth - I'd suggest preparing for it by taking pre-natal classes focused on natural child birth. And agree with a pp that if you are adamant one way or another about episiotomies to tell your doctor up front so he/she can accommodate your wishes.

I've had both types of labours - medicated and unmediated. I preferred the latter for a variety of reasons - and didn't regret not having the epidural (unless you asked me when I was about 7cm dialated and going through transition... :D )

Try not to stress too much about the birth just yet - do your research - know that you have lots of time to come to terms with a birth plan and most importantly remember that an open mind is the most important tool you can have in planning right now :)

• Options

I've had 2 kids, one with an epi, the other with nothing. No regrets with either.

With my son I went into labor after dinner at it lasted 17 hours. After 12 hours I was so sick and my progression had stalled. I got the epi, and he came with only 10 minutes of pushing a few hors later. No cut, but a small rip.

With dd my labor was only 3 hours. By the time I showered, we dropped off my son, and got to the hospital I was 8-9 cm dilated. We were in the hospital less than 30 minutes before she was born. No cut, very, very small rip and the fastest physical recovery I could imagine.

Both very different, but good experiences with the end result of happy healthy baby at the end. My advice would be allow yourself to be flexible. Don't set yourself up to be disappointed if you need an epi but hasn't planed on it, or the other way around. Be informed, have a plan, and be ready to listen to your body and change the plan as necessary.

A 3 hr labor?! That's amazing!
  • Options

My plan going in is no epidural for as long as I can stand it only because epidurals do slow labor progression and I want to avoid pitocin or a csection due to labor not progressing. Other than that, I am okay with whatever they need to do to get the baby out safely, even if it means a cesarean.

Interesting! I had the opposite experience. 15hrs with no epidural resulted in only 1cm of progress. After the meds, I was able to get to 9.5cm.
    June 2016 April Siggy Challenge: Reasons my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Interesting! I had the opposite experience. 15hrs with no epidural resulted in only 1cm of progress. After the meds, I was able to get to 9.5cm.
    Hmm! Maybe what I've heard is wrong, or maybe it's person dependent? Now I'm curious which is true
  • Options
    LilwatzLilwatz member
    edited November 2015
    As everyone has said, it's up to you, but I think an open mind is crucial.  Things can change in a second.  But, there's nothing wrong with trying for one particular way.

For my story, I am ALL ABOUT the epidural.  I planned to from day 1 last time and do not regret it one bit.  I have zero desire to try to do it on my own. My water broke at 6am.  I was in the hospital at 8.  They confirmed it was a water break by 8:45 and at 8:46 I requested the epidural.  I got it around 11 or 11:30 I think?  I was about 5 cm.  The pain was not fun, but not crazy bad at that point.  I didn't want to know what crazy bad was.  For me, this was a great choice.  I apparently got a textbook epidural.  I had little to no pain (a bit in my left outer thigh, which they said can happen).  Also I had full control over my legs, which impressed the nurses and doctor.  When it was time to push I whipped my own legs up into the stirrup things.  (Interestingly enough, I had a harder time moving them after birth when the epidural was wearing off.)  It was just me and my husband in the room, quiet and peaceful.  I vividly remember the sun shining through the window and a feeling of peace.  I would not trade this experience for anything.  I plan to get an epidural this delivery too.  Having said all that, it does come with risks and I understand it may not be as perfect next time--but I am hoping it is!

ETA: I was 5 cm at 11:30 when I got the epidural and I was fully dilated and pushing at 3pm.  Baby came out at 3:33pm.  The epidural did not seem to slow down my progress at all.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    fishwife799fishwife799 member
    edited November 2015
    Hmm! Maybe what I've heard is wrong, or maybe it's person dependent? Now I'm curious which is true
    You haven't heard wrong. But every person and every situation is different. you have no way of knowing what person you will be. I did a ton of research when I was pregnant with my first and that is why I was so adamant against an epidural. I was convinced that it would be the downfall of my labor that I had dreamed of. When in reality I honest to god feel that had I gotten the epidural earlier on in my labor my body would have been able to relax and do what it needed to do, As for my second I obviously didn't need it. I can't stress enough that every labor is different and it is so important to keep an open mind. I didn't have that with my first and I walked away with some serious depression and felt like I was failure. Lucky for me my eyes were opened and I went into my second labor scared, but with an open mind. My labor was short and amazing and so healing in so many ways for me. I even know now that just because I had  one VBAC doesn't mean I will have another. Do I want one? Damn right I do, but if that isn't what's in the cards for me and this baby then I will accept it.

ETA- Sorry if that seems kind of ranty lol

• Options

Third time mom here.  The best advice I can give is to educate yourself but not to hold too tightly to any expectations.  Take it as it comes and do what's best for your and baby's health and well-being.  Stay on the curious side and don't go to fear.  When our bodies are in a state of fear, we release stress hormones that make the process more difficult.  Though, do expect that it's going to hurt and that you can do it.

All this said, I had two pain-med free, complication free, intervention free births when I thought, without a doubt, I would want an epidural the minute I was in the door.  Didn't happen.  I can't help but think I can do it again.  But I don't know what this birth or baby will bring to the table.  So, I'm working to just take it as it comes instead of holding tightly to the idea that this will be like the first two.

• Options
    As so many wise ladies have said, OPEN MIND, open mind, open mind! I have so many friends that had pages of specific birth plans only tons have them thrown out the window. My sister in law wanted an at home, water birth and was rushed to the hospital because of distress. If you put too much pressure on the births you'll likely be disappointed. Personally I went a week over, always had the mentality that I wanted a healthy baby regardless, and I'm no ones hero, I knew I wanted an epidural the whole time, my DS went into fetal distress within an hour of induction, the next few hours were a nightmare, had an emergency CS blah blah blah. In the end the experience in itself was traumatic, had I gone in thinking I only wanted to give birth one way, I would've been devastated. I have a happy, healthy 17 month old, in the end that's what matters, you both make it out healthy.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Oh and I tore each time but didn't even realize it - which was weird, you'd think you'd know but there's a lot going on and your hormones kick in to protect you from some pain.  They did give a shot of numbing meds to stitch me up, no big deal.  The worst part of labor was after delivering our oldest, the nurse "massaged" my uterus to try to stop hemorrhaging.  She dug into my abdomen with all of her weight and might.  It was AWFUL.  Did the job though.
  • Options
    CourtJackCourtJack member
    edited November 2015
    An episiotomy is easier to repair, but doesn't necessarily heal better. It's also more likely to tear along the scar during subsequent births. I had a last minute episiotomy with DS even though I didn't want one and I still sometimes get pain/discomfort from the area four years later. I really wanted to avoid an epidural for a number of reasons, none of which included trying to be a "hero" or thinking I deserve a medal or whatever. I know no one here has said that yet, but those arguments really bug me. I wanted to be able to move around during labor and try different birthing positions, I didn't want the added risks of punctured dura or the chance that it would only work on half of my body, I didn't want the risk of added recovery time or spinal headache after birth, I didn't want the risk of it slowing my labor, and I also just feel more comfortable when I can feel my body and be present. I know plenty of people have had great experiences and no problems with epidurals, but for me the benefits don't outweigh the risks. I didn't have any pain medication with DS and while it was probably the most intense experience of my life, I felt amazing after he was born and I was really glad I had the freedom of movement the whole time and could get up right after.
    That argument really bothers me too. Not once did I think about "wanting to be a hero" when I chose to go naturally. It was what I felt was best for my situation and it's how I wanted to birth my baby. I was fortunate that all went according to plan and I had the birth I wanted. You want an epi? Go for it! All the power to you! Do what's right for you - but don't say it's b/c you don't need to be a hero. And this rant isn't directed at anyone - it's just a general one - as people have used this argument with me too many times to count.
  • Options
    CourtJack said:
    An episiotomy is easier to repair, but doesn't necessarily heal better. It's also more likely to tear along the scar during subsequent births. I had a last minute episiotomy with DS even though I didn't want one and I still sometimes get pain/discomfort from the area four years later. I really wanted to avoid an epidural for a number of reasons, none of which included trying to be a "hero" or thinking I deserve a medal or whatever. I know no one here has said that yet, but those arguments really bug me. I wanted to be able to move around during labor and try different birthing positions, I didn't want the added risks of punctured dura or the chance that it would only work on half of my body, I didn't want the risk of added recovery time or spinal headache after birth, I didn't want the risk of it slowing my labor, and I also just feel more comfortable when I can feel my body and be present. I know plenty of people have had great experiences and no problems with epidurals, but for me the benefits don't outweigh the risks. I didn't have any pain medication with DS and while it was probably the most intense experience of my life, I felt amazing after he was born and I was really glad I had the freedom of movement the whole time and could get up right after.
    That argument really bothers me too. Not once did I think about "wanting to be a hero" when I chose to go naturally. It was what I felt was best for my situation and it's how I wanted to birth my baby. I was fortunate that all went according to plan and I had the birth I wanted. You want an epi? Go for it! All the power to you! Do what's right for you - but don't say it's b/c you don't need to be a hero. And this rant isn't directed at anyone - it's just a general one - as people have used this argument with me too many times to count.

Oh I didn't mean 'not be a hero' in that sense @courtjack. I used that 100% for myself and my expectations for myself. I think whatever each person chooses is right for them, like many things in life, no one should ever judge what people choose to do for themselves, just to always be prepared that things can/may change:)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. All of your input has been great !! As a pp stated, the reason I don't want the epidural is first and foremost, to be able to move freely and be in the position I want, among other reasons. The only reason I am considering it is bc the fear of tearing horribly or needing the episiotomy (and then getting stitched up! ). I couldn't imagine that happening without being numb down there! yikes! I am definitely trying to keep an open mind about everything though .
  • Options
    edited November 2015

This post makes me snarky, but I will do my best to refrain from that. 

With my first, I didn't have much of a plan going into my induction at  40+2.  I was totally going to go with the flow and see where labor took me.  During the first doctor check, after the pit started working and the contractions started rolling, my doctor calmly asked if I was ready for the epidural.  I meekly answered, "yes please."  All the deep breathing and mediation in the world weren't going to take that pain away.  Contractions hurt like a motherfuc*er.  So I labored for awhile, the doc broke my water, and then the fun really started.  My blood pressure plummeted, I was put on oxygen, and the baby's heartbeat was dropping with every contraction.  I never made it past 7 cm.  My doctor called for an emergency c section.  Turns out baby was sunny side up, and the cord was wrapped around baby's neck and cutting off blood/oxygen supply with every contraction.  If I had resisted, I wouldn't have a healthy 2.5 year old today. 

So, like everyone else said, keep an open mind and be willing to do WHATEVER it takes to get your beautiful baby into this world safely.  And there's no need to be a martyr. Epidurals are the jam.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    CourtJack said:

Oh I didn't mean 'not be a hero' in that sense @courtjack. I used that 100% for myself and my expectations for myself. I think whatever each person chooses is right for them, like many things in life, no one should ever judge what people choose to do for themselves, just to always be prepared that things can/may change:)

I think that's what I meant to? lol. I meant 'not being a hero' was never an argument I liked. Opting for no epidural had nothing to do with thinking I deserved a medal.

Man maybe my brain is fried today - I really did mean to agree with you. lol.

• Options
    This entire thread is hard to read! It gives me major anxiety!
    Personally I would like to be pumped with so many drugs I won't know what year it is or who the president is!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I ended up getting the epidural... my general plan was to see how far i could get without medicine but my baby's heart was beating too fast so i had to be hooked up to a monitor and stuck in bed. The contractions were a bit better when the monitor was removed and i could go to the shower but as that was time limited i ended up getting the epidural. I think it extended the labor though it didnt hurt too much so i didnt care... they ended up slowly weaning me off of it so i could feel the need to push. I ended up getting the episiotomy and tearing which was fun lol

Best advice ever: start taking metamucil before yoh go into labour.... no one told me that and you so wish you had started earlier (and not three days after)

• Options
    etr152517 said:

A 3 hr labor?! That's amazing!
    I know! I'm a little worried about it maybe going even faster this time. I have no family in the area, so I better line up someone to watch the kids who is close by.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ArtsyBakingGeek - this is probably a stupid question but why the metamucil beforehand? Is it normal to get totally backed up after? Also, wouldn't this make it more likely that you'd poop during labor? (I know I shouldn't be worried about this, but am.)

I can't say much as I'm a FTM, and am planning on getting an epidural if things get too intense (in other words, 99% sure I'm going to go this route). However, being that sometimes labor moves too quickly, the epi doesn't work, or only partially works, or in case anything else happens I'm planning to take some type of natural childbirth classes so I can be ready to handle the labor if the epi isn't possible/effective. 

Also, I went on a few hospital tours prior to picking my provider and I distinctly remember at least two of them saying episiotomies are not normally done anymore. At one hospital the rate was <1%. But I'd definitely mention your preference to the docs if you feel strongly about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

When I had my DS, I had to be induced because at 40+1, I wasn't dilated at all.  At our hospital, with FTM, they "ripen the cervix" the night before inducing.  So I went in at 9:00 to get the medication to ripen the cervix with the plan to take Pitocin the next morning.  Within an hour of ripening my cervix, I started having the worst  contractions and was in the worst pain ever!  I knew I wanted to do an epidural but kept thinking it was too early.  So I waited.  I finally couldn't wait any longer and got the epidural.  It turned out that they didn't have to induce me because the other medication put me into labor.  I was only in labor for three hours but then pushed for three hours.  I couldn't really feel my legs but I still felt the pressure of the contractions and pushing the baby out.  I know that I tore, but the doctor never told me much about it which was probably for the best.

I knew that I wanted an epidural, so I wasn't freaked out about the birth as much as I was about after the epidural wore off!  I was so scared that the pain would be so bad for so long.  It wasn't even close to as bad as I expected.   I think that focus is so much on the baby, you don't focus as much on the rest.  At least that was the case with me.  In reality, I've had knew surgeries that were way worse than childbirth, but I had the epidural!  :)

• Options
    I had scoliosis as a child, so I had a multi-level spinal fusion when I was 15. When I was pregnant with my DD, basically no one could tell me if I would be able to have an epidural or spinal when I was in labor. I planned to go natural, mentally, just to be safe.

I was induced at 40w+6d so that the right anesthesiologist could be there to tend to my pain needs. At that point, the epidural was still on the table.

Spoiler alert: As it turns out, I can't have an epidural because I don't have any epidural space in my spine anymore. I found out that bit of news from the Head of Anesthesiology WHEN I WAS IN LABOR.

I was in labor for 23 hours, and stuck at 9 cm for 3 hours before I tapped out and had a c-section (they were able to place a spinal, so I was awake and my husband was present). Pitocin + a "sunny side up" baby just made giving birth naturally nearly impossible for me.

Moral of my story: I'm just going to go with a repeat c-section this time around. ;)
  • Options
    Somewhere around here, someone has a wonderful siggy that says that birth plans are wishes, but the important part is the educating yourself to create the plan.  I totally screwed that up, but hopefully you get the message.

Two years ago, I read a scientific article that stated that receiving an epidural after 4 cm dilation, was  less likely to prolong labor.  I can't find it now or I would post a link. :-(  So, that was my plan, make it to 4 cm and then I was open to medication.  What I didn't expect was to labor all night for 13 hours at home before going to the hospital tired, sleepy, and still only 3 cm.  I tried to hold out to the magical 4 cm, but my tank was empty.  I gladly took the epidural and the nap that came with it!

BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!
  • Options
    Not sure if this will create 'gasps' across the interweb... But anyone have experience with an elective C-section???
  • Options
    Another sunny-side-up baby here. Pray you never have to learn the meaning of the term "back labor." 

I went in planning to get an epidural, but also wanting to put it off until as long as possible (my birth plan actually said something to the effect of, "If it starts to get close to too late, pin me down and force it on me"). But after five hours of back labor, all the yoga breathing and hallway-walking in the world wasn't going to get me through the next contraction. I knew if I didn't get some sleep (this was at 5 a.m., seven hours after my water broke and 24 hours since the last time I'd been asleep) I wouldn't make it through labor. I stupidly said I didn't want the epidural yet, but I would take something for the pain. So they gave me pain meds that ended up knocking me out for the next 12 hours or so. That's all a blur. At one point my dad showed up in the delivery room, I think? Maybe with a G&T in a to-go cup? Then the anesthesiologist showed up and started my epidural and I asked him to marry me. Heaven.

If that sounds like drunken ramblings, that's because that's how I felt most of the day. I was in labor for 25 hours but I only remember half of them. In retrospect, I should have just gotten the GD epidural instead of the pain meds. I wasn't mobile either way, but at least with the epidural I wouldn't have lost half the experience.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Like OP, L&D is something that's been on my mind a lot recently too, even though realistically it's still a long ways away. I'm a FTM too. I just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all the ladies sharing your stories- they have given me a lot to think about and (surprisingly) put me at ease knowing that no matter how it all goes down, you survived and had a precious LO to show for it.