April 2016 Moms
Options

Mom splurges?

2»

Re: Mom splurges?

• Options
    mrstrax said:

mrstrax said:

1- I love our mandolin for making homemade apple chips (so thin!) and pickles. Cause ain't nobody got time to slice that many cucumbers

2- I'm horrible at splurging on myself other than during our annual anniversary trip, but I do have a weakness for books. I'll definitely be requesting that my Christmas/Valentine's gift from DH be a massage again though - that's what he did last Valentine's (plus having my sister babysit for dinner and a movie! He kinda rocks :)) ) and it was wonderful because it was someone else's idea to spend the money. He's also good about sending me to the coffee shop down the street for an evening of reading when the SAHM stress level gets too high.

3 - I highly recommend some "mommy" splurges that are really for you but connected to baby, like a comfy glider/rocker, a diaper bag you actually like, really good nursing bras and clothes etc. Also, a TV series or streaming subscription for late night feeding. I always thought I'd read - ha no. Definitely not enough brain function for that, but it was good to have something to help the time pass when they take forever to eat the first few months.

We don't count books as splurging, do we? If that were the case I'd be splurging like three times a week at the local used book store... Can I just continue to consider it lifeblood?

Also, cucumbers are a bitch to cut without one.
    Only when I buy new :) I waited and waited for the first Outlander book this spring/summer and then when I finally got it I barely finished before having to return it to the library (wait list so no renewing) so I went out and bought the rest of the series - and the first one. Because you can't have 2-7 and not #1 ;)
    I did that with Rachel Cain's Weather Wardon series. I bought like two of them a week for about two months. And true story about the new books! Expensive hobby is expensive.
  • Options
    @misstopsail @Mailmans Baby Momma @spatter1 I follow the "price per use" philosophy: if a higher price item is something I will use LOTS and I'm not going above my means to get it, I'll buy it without thinking twice and without a heavy conscience. I think we all agree that a diaper bag falls into the "will use lots" category!!! :)
    Plus, if I'm going to have to ditch my regular bags in lieu of a diaper bag for the next foreseeable years, then it better be a nice one!!! :D
    So I used this rationale to buy mine this week. I got one that will look good on husband too, so I'm not the only one bound to carry the bag. :D

These Kate Spade ones are cute indeed! I didnt know Kate Spade did diaper bags. Just looked at their website and there was a black and white one that was super cute.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    To order or not to order.. That is the question.
    I love the outside.. The inside is hot pink.
  • Options
    Lush products are amazing! For ladies with dry skin, their Celestial Moisturizer is THE best! It's $40 for the jar, but you need so little that it literally lasts me 6-7 months.
  • Options
    This past month hubby was gone for training. I had to wake up much earlier than normal and got home much later than normal due to being the only one to take her to daycare. I splurged on a latte every morning. It was a money splurge and a caffeine splurge. But I needed it!
  • Options

My suggestion: do you love it? Is it within your means? If yes to both questions, then get it. :)
  • Options

My only question is how heavy you think it could be and still be comfortable to carry. If you end up having to carry formula and bottles (by choice or if BF doesn't work out) that stuff gets heavy fast and those straps look thin. It sure is pretty though!

I personally wanted something cheaper (ntm we got a backpack style) because it will eventually carry burp rags/clothes with pretty much every possible bodily function/fluid on them, have a baby chewing on the straps and run the risk of diaper ointment or a cup exploding inside. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a nice/expensive bag if its within your means, I just knew I would be worried about it getting beat up more than a $30 one. Food for thought.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mrstrax said:

My only question is how heavy you think it could be and still be comfortable to carry. If you end up having to carry formula and bottles (by choice or if BF doesn't work out) that stuff gets heavy fast and those straps look thin. It sure is pretty though!

I personally wanted something cheaper (ntm we got a backpack style) because it will eventually carry burp rags/clothes with pretty much every possible bodily function/fluid on them, have a baby chewing on the straps and run the risk of diaper ointment or a cup exploding inside. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a nice/expensive bag if its within your means, I just knew I would be worried about it getting beat up more than a $30 one. Food for thought.
    Nothing like the advice from someone who's been there, done that! :) my advice was "it's cute, get it!". Lol

The one I got has pretty thick straps though, it's like a messenger bag. I Didn't even think about it at the time (never thought it would be an issue), but seems like I made a good choice even though I had no idea. Hehe

Learning a lot from the experienced moms in the group!
  • Options
    I had a leather coach diaper bag and had to stop using it so quickly. Leather is heavy!!! Switched to a nylon bag and it's so much lighter, and more pliable so I can shove as much stuff in there as I can
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    I'm going for a backpack style this time around, no contest. I *hated* lugging around a regular diaper bag with DS. It was awkward and cumbersome.

I used to be a big handbag person, and the older I get the less I carry. I don't even own a dedicated purse right now - I have a clutch for my cards/car key and my iPhone. That's about it. If I do need a bag anymore I have a backpack type thing I use.

Anyone found a good backpack to use for baby whether or not it's intended as a baby bag?
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

mrstrax said:

Nothing like the advice from someone who's been there, done that! :) my advice was "it's cute, get it!". Lol

The one I got has pretty thick straps though, it's like a messenger bag. I Didn't even think about it at the time (never thought it would be an issue), but seems like I made a good choice even though I had no idea. Hehe

Learning a lot from the experienced moms in the group!
    Hmm, it does have thicker straps for the stroller.. It's nylon, not leather, and definitely within budget. I think I might get it! Thanks for the advice- I did know it had other straps, but didn't realize the pic didn't reflect them! And I didn't even consider nylon over leather, but that's a good thought!
  • Options
    I haven't really changed my spending habits and have continued my usual indulgences - hair salon appointments, weekly manicures, eyelash extensions every 2 weeks, and shopping when the fancy strikes (just stocked up on maternity clothes last weekend). We'll be traveling to Europe next month (a trip we put off because of bleeding in my first trimester), and in the meantime we've been taking weekend trips out of town, including a getaway two weeks ago to a beautiful mountain resort. My husband has hired a housekeeper to clean the house and a teenage family friend to clean the litter box several times per week. I have a spa day coming up soon. It's been a stressful pregnancy, so my husband has been really great about trying to make this a good experience and has been pretty indulgent. We have frequent date nights and just bought new furniture for the house (we were already looking at nursery furniture, so why not?). We're both in our mid-30s, established professionals with high incomes, so we're able to put plenty of money away without penny-pinching. Everyone's situation is different, so I'm surprised anyone would be intrusive enough to judge a pregnant woman for splurging on herself. People need to observe sensible boundaries.
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:

Anyone found a good backpack to use for baby whether or not it's intended as a baby bag?

We have the old version of this one: https://m.target.com/p/eddie-bauer-first-adventure-orcas-backpack-diaper-bag-teal/-/A-21569976 no complaints and it is really light when empty.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    kcbarbo78 said:

I haven't really changed my spending habits and have continued my usual indulgences - hair salon appointments, weekly manicures, eyelash extensions every 2 weeks, and shopping when the fancy strikes (just stocked up on maternity clothes last weekend). We'll be traveling to Europe next month (a trip we put off because of bleeding in my first trimester), and in the meantime we've been taking weekend trips out of town, including a getaway two weeks ago to a beautiful mountain resort. My husband has hired a housekeeper to clean the house and a teenage family friend to clean the litter box several times per week. I have a spa day coming up soon. It's been a stressful pregnancy, so my husband has been really great about trying to make this a good experience and has been pretty indulgent. We have frequent date nights and just bought new furniture for the house (we were already looking at nursery furniture, so why not?). We're both in our mid-30s, established professionals with high incomes, so we're able to put plenty of money away without penny-pinching. Everyone's situation is different, so I'm surprised anyone would be intrusive enough to judge a pregnant woman for splurging on herself. People need to observe sensible boundaries.

Can I be you when I grow up? ;)
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:

kcbarbo78 said:

Amen! And can I also say, I plan on getting a night nurse, and if anybody judges me, they're probably just jealous? I still plan on breastfeeding but if I can have a person change him and bring him to me and then take him, and we can afford it, why would I not do that? I get stabby when people judge night nurses. Honestly I think it's jealousy. I've never heard anybody judging someone for indulging in themselves during pregnancy, but when the baby comes you suddenly shouldn't use your money to get help? That is bs.

(Sorry your post made me go off on a tangent but it's a topic people were so judgey on in my last BMB!!)

Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options

cmjenkies said:

kcbarbo78 said:

Amen! And can I also say, I plan on getting a night nurse, and if anybody judges me, they're probably just jealous? I still plan on breastfeeding but if I can have a person change him and bring him to me and then take him, and we can afford it, why would I not do that? I get stabby when people judge night nurses. Honestly I think it's jealousy. I've never heard anybody judging someone for indulging in themselves during pregnancy, but when the baby comes you suddenly shouldn't use your money to get help? That is bs.

(Sorry your post made me go off on a tangent but it's a topic people were so judgey on in my last BMB!!)
    I'm not judging that at all! I'm very lucky to have a million siblings who have offered up their services in that regard.
  • Options
    But really @kcbarbo78, it's always interesting to me to hear what is/is not considered 'splurging' or 'indulging' to people of various walks of life. We're both mid-20s, I finished graduate school last year and have been working in my field for about a year and a half as an OTR, husband works full time as well. We live within our means, rent our home from family, are able to pay our bills and put back into our 401Ks. We already have a son and can afford baby, but things are going to be tight. We are currently saving to be able to buy a new mattress, lol, and I am so excited! Nobody has specifically mentioned anything being concerned about our ability to pay for our families, but I have heard plenty of 'shouldn't you be buying for baby instead of yourself' across our social circles in the past. It is what it is. I live smack dab in the heart of middle class, Midwest America. It may be a regional thing, I don't know.

PS: I'm intrigued.. how does a person get eyelash extensions? That sounds magnificent!
  • Options

cmjenkies said:

kcbarbo78 said:

I'm not judging that at all! I'm very lucky to have a million siblings who have offered up their services in that regard.
    Yeah, family is irreplaceable. A night nurse is great but mom will come and do your dishes without asking. Take advantage of as many offers as you get!

• Options

cmjenkies said:

kcbarbo78 said:

I didn't know something such as a paid night nurse actually existed outside of Hollywood, TBH. Sounds dreamy. I'll be living the zombie life but I'm okay with that, I think I would feel weird with someone not related to me in my house with baby while I'm asleep. I don't know, I've never even considered it. If it's within your means, that's all that matters! Not judging but definitely jealous! :P
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:

But really @kcbarbo78, it's always interesting to me to hear what is/is not considered 'splurging' or 'indulging' to people of various walks of life. We're both mid-20s, I finished graduate school last year and have been working in my field for about a year and a half as an OTR, husband works full time as well. We live within our means, rent our home from family, are able to pay our bills and put back into our 401Ks. We already have a son and can afford baby, but things are going to be tight. We are currently saving to be able to buy a new mattress, lol, and I am so excited! Nobody has specifically mentioned anything being concerned about our ability to pay for our families, but I have heard plenty of 'shouldn't you be buying for baby instead of yourself' across our social circles in the past. It is what it is. I live smack dab in the heart of middle class, Midwest America. It may be a regional thing, I don't know.

PS: I'm intrigued.. how does a person get eyelash extensions? That sounds magnificent!

I've contemplated extensions as I love lashes, but I've found a good combo that works for me - I curl my lashes, then apply Shiseido's lash primer first, then my favorite mascara (lately it's MakeUp Forever Smoky Extravagant, but I also love Benefit's They're Real).
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

cmjenkies said:

I've contemplated extensions as I love lashes, but I've found a good combo that works for me - I curl my lashes, then apply Shiseido's lash primer first, then my favorite mascara (lately it's MakeUp Forever Smoky Extravagant, but I also love Benefit's They're Real).
    I love that Benefit mascara.. so good. Lately I've been using a drugstore brand that's holding up pretty well. I curl first, but have never used a lash primer before. May try that out.
  • Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited October 2015
    cmjenkies said:

thaisac1 said:

cmjenkies said:

I love that Benefit mascara.. so good. Lately I've been using a drugstore brand that's holding up pretty well. I curl first, but have never used a lash primer before. May try that out.
    For me a primer is essential, because even though my lashes are reasonably long, they are super straight. So most mascaras just weight them down. I've tried many primers - MAC, Tarte, Lancôme, Dior... All of them weighted down my lashes. Only the Shiseido primer holds the curl like nobody's business - so whatever mascara I apply on top of it ends up looking good.
    I've been using this primer for, I don't know, 7 years maybe? I've tried others but always end up coming back to my ol' faithful Shiseido.
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:

cmjenkies said:

kcbarbo78 said:

I didn't know something such as a paid night nurse actually existed outside of Hollywood, TBH. Sounds dreamy. I'll be living the zombie life but I'm okay with that, I think I would feel weird with someone not related to me in my house with baby while I'm asleep. I don't know, I've never even considered it. If it's within your means, that's all that matters! Not judging but definitely jealous! :P
    It's not as expensive as you'd think honestly!! We pay our high school babysitters $10 an hour and college girls $12, the going rate for night nurse in town is $15 an hour (and they will usually do light housework while baby sleeps). My cousins actually are mid Income and are saving up for one as their big purchase (they live in illinois). On their registry in Amazon they wrote at the top that they'll be getting a night nurse and shovel no gifts stand out they'd appreciate money toward the night nurse (they phrased it in a non tacky way). I thought that was clever of them.

• Options
    I splurge each month on waxing and getting my hair dyed. Those are two me things that give me my me time and I think it's important to not loose that. We are important too.
    Other than that I splurged on a new belly bandit. Since we thought #3 was the last gave it away. So when I found out #4 was on the way, I shelled out the cash. It's one thing I won't go without!
  • Options

cmjenkies said:

kcbarbo78 said:

Yeah, family is irreplaceable. A night nurse is great but mom will come and do your dishes without asking. Take advantage of as many offers as you get!
    Well... Not my mom... Siblings, yes, but mom? Lol.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Speaking of diaper bags, I am so in love with this leather diaper bag from Jem+Bea but it's quite pricey and out of my means atm.
    But I might choose to save up and get it. It's amazing!

• Options

Speaking of diaper bags, I am so in love with this leather diaper bag from Jem+Bea but it's quite pricey and out of my means atm.
    But I might choose to save up and get it. It's amazing!

Looks nice! I hadn't heard of this brand yet, is it European?
  • Options
    @thaisac1 it's British :D

• Options
    At this point in my life my biggest splurge is time. So for me spending up to three hours a month (I have a lot of hair) having my roots touched up and my hair blown out is my little luxury. But how long it takes really irritates me so I'm not sure that should count!!
  • Options
    @JadaBlue I don't mind the time, some of my closest friends are all hair dressers and I usually go to their salon to get a hair wash with massage, haircut and have my hair blown. We usually sip on yummy lattes and gossip (gays always have a lot of gossip lol) and enjoy our time :P and I think I'm gonna call them tonight to see if they're available haha

• Options
    This pregnancy has been a reminder to pamper myself more. I haven't been pregnant for 6 years, and I've been used to doing everything myself and not asking for help (I also homeschool, so I'm home all day/every day with 4 kids). 

I'm going to the salon next week for a overdue haircut. I just got myself a nice new iPhone b/c my last one was old and didn't have enough space for pics and videos. And I've been asking DH & MIL for help a lot more. Because dang, I'm not superwoman! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    After reading the diaper bag thread, I am totally inspired to splurge on a nice one! DH said...."but those look like purses?" Haha:)
  • Options
    Does buying clothes for DS count? I spent $40 on overalls and a collared top for his Christmas outfit the other day, amongst other gems for him.

Other than that I do not do my own nails or eyebrows ever, although I know I'm perfectly capable oops.
  • Options
    I rarely get to splurge. But I did last night! First time in over two years. I bought two pairs of jeans and 2 shirts. I've never had anyone tell me I should save for baby. I'd probably laugh in their face.
  • Options
    BrittnyS10BrittnyS10 member
    edited November 2015
    Not gonna lie, when i think about how much money DH and i are gonna have to spend on plane tickets to go see his family for christmas it feels like a dad splurge or in-law splurge. So many things we could be buying for baby instead... but his family is stressing me out like crazy trying to figure out which days to get together, so right now i'd kinda just rather not go, thats why it feels like a splurge.

ETA: I really do love his family, its these hormones..
  • Options

Not gonna lie, when i think about how much money DH and i are gonna have to spend on plane tickets to go see his family for christmas it feels like a dad splurge or in-law splurge. So many things we could be buying for baby instead... but his family is stressing me out like crazy trying to figure out which days to get together, so right now i'd kinda just rather not go, thats why it feels like a splurge.

ETA: I really do love his family, its these hormones..

Yeah, I'm not going home for Christmas. Partially because I'd rather take an extra two weeks when LO gets here and partly because DH manages a retail store, so he can't take off anyway. Both are really good excuses to not see my crazy family, so I'm rolling with it.
  • Options
    Splurge...hmm
    Well nothing out of what my ordinary was prior to our pregnancy. I make it a point to see my nail girl every two weeks for a shellac manicure/pedicure