April 2016 Moms
Options

Mom splurges?

For as long as I've been around here, I've never actually started a thread. It makes me anxious that I won't be interesting enough for anybody to answer, haha. Anyway, I was discussing with a friend today about how expecting moms are often sassed about spending money on themselves vs saving everything for baby. SO my question is this - what is your favorite mom splurge? Something you spend a little extra on just for you?

For me, I'm a serious sucker for LUSH products.. Specifically, their Daddy-O violet shampoo and their American Cream conditioner (and Sympathy for the Skin lotion, and Mask of Magnminty face mask.. I could go on and on). Last time I was in a city with one of their stores, I gave in and bought a big bottle of the shampoo and condition to the tune of 30$ a pop. Definitely a huge splurge for me, but damnit, my hair smells f'ing GREAT.. I ain't mad at it.

Re: Mom splurges?

• Options
    Does getting a large fruit smoothie on my way home from grocery shopping count? I certainly didnt NEED it, but boy was it yummy!
  • Options
    I LOVE lush products (especially those little bath bombs)....but they make my skin breakout so I can't use them :( I have the world's most sensitive skin which is why I have my mom splurge: Tatcha. Best skin products I have ever used but they are ridiculously expensive. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH and I went to dinner and a movie the other night (and I got popcorn, yummmmm), and I realized I need to do that more! Time is my biggest constraint right now since we have my parents to babysit and can afford dinner and a movie lol. So I just need to make the time!
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    I get shellac mani/pedi once a month and travel often (mostly for work, but bring hubby along on many trips), so I'd say these are my splurges.
    And today I splurged on a diaper bag - that's kinda for baby but mostly for me, so I guess that counts. :)
  • Options
    A pair of higher quality, not crazy expensive, but like $80-85 I think, maternity jeans. My office is casual and I wear jeans every single day, and this pair fits really well and is really well made and comfortable. I figured, why not?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My husband wanted to go on a budget and save more before the new baby came. I still had the debit card so I decided to get all new make up today hehe $350 well spent! Oh the joys!! I am a online shopping addict so it will be like Christmas in 3 days when my package comes. ;;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Hmm...I generally don't spend money on myself, unless you count kitchen utensils or decor, but now I feel like I should go to the mall or do some serious online shopping...
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post, but I just got a 25% off entire purchase coupon in my email for Soma! Yay for comfy new bras!!!
  • Options
    Automatic fresh pasta maker because I'm lazy and fresh pasta is so much better than store stuff. Technically DH bought it as an early birthday present for me a few months ago.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Wearing mask of magnaminty as I type this in my phone. My dog is also trying to lick it off my face .
  • Options

Hmm...I generally don't spend money on myself, unless you count kitchen utensils or decor, but now I feel like I should go to the mall or do some serious online shopping...

Kitchen utensils totally count! Go buy yourself a new garlic press lol
    I saw the most amazing little gadget yesterday - mostly for cutting veggies, which I hate because I cut myself all too often. Its almost like a deli slicer (forgetting the name ATM) but has a tool you can stick into the veggie so that your fingers are never anywhere near the blade. Does that make sense?
  • Options
    My splurge is going out to eat lol. DH and I never get to go out to eat just because we want to. But yesterday he got off early and I thought it would be great to go to Olive Garden, so we splurged and went out. It was yummy and I have leftovers for lunch today
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I saw the most amazing little gadget yesterday - mostly for cutting veggies, which I hate because I cut myself all too often. Its almost like a deli slicer (forgetting the name ATM) but has a tool you can stick into the veggie so that your fingers are never anywhere near the blade. Does that make sense?
    A mandolin slicer? I've thought about getting one of those forever but somehow still dont have one...
  • Options
    I like to splurge on massages!  Esp as I'm a wedding photographer so after 8 hours on my feet carrying around 15 pounds of equipment I feel like it is well deserved!  

I agree with the maternity jeans, I had a Gap pair last time and they were amazing!  Gap's maternity courds are also super comfty!  Also DH and I do love a good date night dinner/movie.  
  • Options

A mandolin slicer? I've thought about getting one of those forever but somehow still dont have one...
    That's it! But the one I saw had changeable blades for type and thickness of cut - even made crinkle-cut French fries!
  • Options

Gadget of the century! Mine is still in storage... I miss my things...

I feel like I'm splurging every time I buy maternity clothes! I haven't bought new clothes for myself in like three or four years so every time I buy any clothes it's almost an out of body experience.
  • Options
    @Knottie9983816 I feel like my recent maternity clothes shopping spree was a splurge too! I love everything though... I'm pretty sure I have more maternity pants than I did regular pants! 

I have a hard time splurging on things that I could normally do myself... like mani/pedi, or food... although I can already see that a legit pedicure is in my future when this bump gets bigger... But I'm always willing to splurge on travelling for friends and family. I've got my sister and nephew, and a couple of friends close by, but everyone else is a planned trip away.
  • Options

Sounds like a mandolin! Get it!! I got one for our wedding and lost it in a move. But I honestly didn't really use it tbh (totally thought I would), so I didn't replace it.
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    jonesl12 said:

Wearing moask of magnaminty as I type this in my phone. My dog is also trying to lick it off my face .

Loooove that mask! It's like turning the AC on your face!
  • Options
    I totally splurge on my nails. I have a standing appointment every two weeks for a shellack mani and a pedi (pedi is every other visit so once a month). We also splurge on going out to eat. It's really hard for me to cook while pregnant but I do try at least 3-4 days a week. With DS I couldn't even stand the smell of food cooking. Tonight I am not cooking.
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    I get shellac mani/pedi once a month and travel often (mostly for work, but bring hubby along on many trips), so I'd say these are my splurges. And today I splurged on a diaper bag - that's kinda for baby but mostly for me, so I guess that counts. :)
    I haven't done it yet because I'm hoping for a miracle sale, but my splurge will definitely be the baby bag too. I'm the one that has to lug the thing around so I think it's a splurge for me. :) Oh, I also have been letting myself eat out a little be more for lunch during the week because these homemade lunches just aren't appealing. 

• Options

Sounds like a mandolin! Get it!! I got one for our wedding and lost it in a move. But I honestly didn't really use it tbh (totally thought I would), so I didn't replace it.
    I just love that it would help me keep from cutting myself (my hands are seriously disgusting) and bleeding on my food. It's gross, even for someone who makes a living prepared to be elbow's deep in someone's chest.
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

jonesl12 said:

Wearing moask of magnaminty as I type this in my phone. My dog is also trying to lick it off my face .

Loooove that mask! It's like turning the AC on your face!
    I invented a new word up there " moask" lol
    I leave it on for almost an hour and I love how it opens up my pores .
  • Options
    spatter1 said:

thaisac1 said:

I get shellac mani/pedi once a month and travel often (mostly for work, but bring hubby along on many trips), so I'd say these are my splurges.
    And today I splurged on a diaper bag - that's kinda for baby but mostly for me, so I guess that counts. :)

I haven't done it yet because I'm hoping for a miracle sale, but my splurge will definitely be the baby bag too. I'm the one that has to lug the thing around so I think it's a splurge for me. :) Oh, I also have been letting myself eat out a little be more for lunch during the week because these homemade lunches just aren't appealing. 

I got one that is gender-neutral so hubby can wear it too. :) So I won't be the only one lugging it around. :D
  • Options
    $40 Redkin Conditioner from Ulta and some coral pink with faint gold sparkles Cole Haan patent loafers (on sale). I have nothing to wear with them... Yet. But they're soooo preeeeeetttty!
  • Options
    1- I love our mandolin for making homemade apple chips (so thin!) and pickles. Cause ain't nobody got time to slice that many cucumbers

2- I'm horrible at splurging on myself other than during our annual anniversary trip, but I do have a weakness for books. I'll definitely be requesting that my Christmas/Valentine's gift from DH be a massage again though - that's what he did last Valentine's (plus having my sister babysit for dinner and a movie! He kinda rocks :)) ) and it was wonderful because it was someone else's idea to spend the money. He's also good about sending me to the coffee shop down the street for an evening of reading when the SAHM stress level gets too high.

3 - I highly recommend some "mommy" splurges that are really for you but connected to baby, like a comfy glider/rocker, a diaper bag you actually like, really good nursing bras and clothes etc. Also, a TV series or streaming subscription for late night feeding. I always thought I'd read - ha no. Definitely not enough brain function for that, but it was good to have something to help the time pass when they take forever to eat the first few months.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    mrstrax said:

1- I love our mandolin for making homemade apple chips (so thin!) and pickles. Cause ain't nobody got time to slice that many cucumbers

2- I'm horrible at splurging on myself other than during our annual anniversary trip, but I do have a weakness for books. I'll definitely be requesting that my Christmas/Valentine's gift from DH be a massage again though - that's what he did last Valentine's (plus having my sister babysit for dinner and a movie! He kinda rocks :)) ) and it was wonderful because it was someone else's idea to spend the money. He's also good about sending me to the coffee shop down the street for an evening of reading when the SAHM stress level gets too high.

3 - I highly recommend some "mommy" splurges that are really for you but connected to baby, like a comfy glider/rocker, a diaper bag you actually like, really good nursing bras and clothes etc. Also, a TV series or streaming subscription for late night feeding. I always thought I'd read - ha no. Definitely not enough brain function for that, but it was good to have something to help the time pass when they take forever to eat the first few months.

We don't count books as splurging, do we? If that were the case I'd be splurging like three times a week at the local used book store... Can I just continue to consider it lifeblood?

Also, cucumbers are a bitch to cut without one.
  • Options
    I splurge on food, groceries specifically. I love to cook and try new things. Just dropped like $200 at Fresh Market the other day, on fresh seafood and cheese, among other delicious things. Yum!!
  • Options
    loveymay said:

I splurge on food, groceries specifically. I love to cook and try new things. Just dropped like $200 at Fresh Market the other day, on fresh seafood and cheese, among other delicious things. Yum!!

Mmmmm Fresh Market Humbelfoldt Goat cheese with fig jelly is amazing!!!!
  • Options
    I don't spend a lot of money on my clothing, shoes, or makeup..
    But handbags are my favorite.
    I have my eye on a Kate Spade diaper bag.. So pretty! :\">
  • Options

mrstrax said:

We don't count books as splurging, do we? If that were the case I'd be splurging like three times a week at the local used book store... Can I just continue to consider it lifeblood?

Also, cucumbers are a bitch to cut without one.
    Only when I buy new :) I waited and waited for the first Outlander book this spring/summer and then when I finally got it I barely finished before having to return it to the library (wait list so no renewing) so I went out and bought the rest of the series - and the first one. Because you can't have 2-7 and not #1 ;)
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    This is a fun thread! I love that you posted it. Today I bought a pair of nice flats and a disgusting amount of MAC makeup. If my body has to look like such a horror, at least my face can look nice.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

My bff got me a Kate Spade diaper bag with my last kiddo...I. LOVE. IT.

Edit bc autocorrect doesn't recognize Kate Spade...wtf?
  • Options
    My splurges are pedis and nice shoes. I have small feet that hurt if the shoes don't fit well, so I go all out on shoes.

And purses. But I get ones I like and keep them a long time. Like my winter purse is a Coach and my summer is Kate Spade.

And mcds breakfast. Bc pizza bagel bites were getting old every morning.
  • Options
    I'm a splurger in general. Whoops! We eat out a lot - I'm not a great cook and work from home so going out to dinner is my time to unwind. I splurged recently on home decor and furniture for our new house! Still need a lot more!
  • Options

Omg Kate Spade just had a 75%off sale and it included some baby bags! Not the one I was looking at though :(

• Options
    spatter1 said:

Omg Kate Spade just had a 75%off sale and it included some baby bags! Not the one I was looking at though :(
    Bummer! If you're spending that much money get the one you want. This is the one I have (it's an older one) but I still love it.
  • Options
    That is so cute! It's like the one I'm eyeing, except the one I'm looking at is all black. Really like that pattern but don't think they have it anymore :(