May 2016 Moms

Maternity Leave is a JOKE

Re: Maternity Leave is a JOKE

• AppleRidgeAppleRidge member
    edited October 2015
    It's the worst.  My first time around, I had tons of sick time saved up and figured I could use that.  Nope!  They wouldn't let me use it after six weeks because that's when my c/s recovery period "ended."

---------------------------------------------------------------
    4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  
  • Loading the player...
  • @TheBorg7of9 thanks for posting!!!!! Love this.
  • That sucks.  I always thought women who work for a company have it so good, lol.

I own my own (very busy) photography studio, and unfortunately, that means that any time I take "off" is practically closing the studio.  Not only will I not be making any money during that time, but the business itself will lose income.  I am due during one of the busiest times of the year!  Me taking "leave" in May and June means not booking SEVERAL big events that I would normally count on.  My entire year will be effected.

I'll be taking a good 1.5 months off of the hard physical stuff (like shooting a wedding), but that doesn't mean I can actually take 
    "real" leave for more than a week or two.  There will still be hundreds of emails and dozens of phone calls, editing work, employees to manage, etc...that I'd never be able to leave undone for so long.

I tried to time it to be due between busy months, but that didn't work out so well. :/
  • edited September 2015
  • Let me correct myself.
    I cannot take time off due to financial circumstances.
    My husband and I do okay financially but we don't have enough saved up to take time off. Neither he nor I get paid time off due to the fact that we both work for new small companies that aren't yet profiting enough to even provide health insurance.
    I'm the only one with my position at my job and if I take three weeks or more off they will need to find someone to fill my position.
    Unfortunately, the owner of the company I work at is very hands off and more concerned with his other small businesses. At some point I will talk with him and see if there is something that we can work out but my hopes aren't high considering he has to do what's best for his companies.
    Yes I know I can keep my job but when I come back we will be over staffed and because of that I will have less hours which means reduced income.
    And as we all know, not everyone in upper management works in an honest manner and I wouldn't be surprised if things got minipulated to me being forced out after coming back.

That being said I absolutely love what I do and I love the community I work with and I appreciate my job and my position, I just wish there were more options for small business to be able to support their employees that need time after having a child.

One bonus is that my husband's job has a nanny paid for by the company that I can use at anytime. Obviously, I'd rather spend time with my child but I also need to be able to support my child.
  • Yes, love Canada's system and other countries but they have limited ultrasounds and long waits since everyone has coverage

I waited a total of three days for my first ultrasound this pregnancy. One and two weeks with my first pregnancies which ended in miscarriages. I will have an ultrasound every two weeks for the rest of the pregnancy because I am high risk.

• Obviously this depends on the nature of your job and how progressive your employer is, but could you propose a bring your baby to work policy?  I used to work for a small employer, and they have a bring your baby to work policy until the child was 8 months old.  I could probably dig up the policy to share if anyone's employer would consider doing this and is interested in a sample.  I believe the parent took a slight reduction in pay when they brought their baby to work, because 100% of their time wouldn't be devoted to the job.

I meet with clients throughout the day, so it wouldn't work with my job.  If I had a job that had minimal interaction with the public, I would definitely propose this idea to my boss.  It's a benefit for them because they don't have to hire someone to cover for you, they won't have the expense of training someone new, they will build good rapport with employees, it's a great retention tool, etc. etc.

Clauni27 said:
    Let me correct myself. I cannot take time off due to financial circumstances. My husband and I do okay financially but we don't have enough saved up to take time off. Neither he nor I get paid time off due to the fact that we both work for new small companies that aren't yet profiting enough to even provide health insurance. I'm the only one with my position at my job and if I take three weeks or more off they will need to find someone to fill my position. Unfortunately, the owner of the company I work at is very hands off and more concerned with his other small businesses. At some point I will talk with him and see if there is something that we can work out but my hopes aren't high considering he has to do what's best for his companies. Yes I know I can keep my job but when I come back we will be over staffed and because of that I will have less hours which means reduced income. And as we all know, not everyone in upper management works in an honest manner and I wouldn't be surprised if things got minipulated to me being forced out after coming back. That being said I absolutely love what I do and I love the community I work with and I appreciate my job and my position, I just wish there were more options for small business to be able to support their employees that need time after having a child. One bonus is that my husband's job has a nanny paid for by the company that I can use at anytime. Obviously, I'd rather spend time with my child but I also need to be able to support my child.

Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• I work in pediatrics for a sizable practice and ours is all unpaid unless I purchased and have been paying into short term disability (not subsidized by my company)--sigh
  • I work for a small business and have short term disability which is 60% pay for either 6 or 8 weeks depending on the type of birth. Our first five business days are covered by the company before the insurance benefit kicks in. We then can use as much or as little PTO as we want. It's not ideal but it's something. Luckily I had "planned" to be pregnant in 2016 year so I was careful about using my PTO last year so I could roll over the maximum amount (2 weeks). We will still be saving as much as possible since my husband is a teacher and doesn't get paid during the summer, so it will be tight.

In general, the costs associated with having a child terrify me. I decided to try to get pregnant when I was (relatively) young because I hoped it might be easier for us, and while it was, we are definitely making less than we would be in a few years and therefore less equipped to handle the costs associated with childcare.
  • vinerie said:
    @vinerie yes however I think the other issues she's pushing for with Planned Parenthood are appalling (in my opinion) and really trump any thought for me that she should be a speaker for women.
    Well that depends on your view of Planned Parenthood. I actually volunteer for PP, and I happen to think access to health care and reproductive rights for women is a good thing. But that's just me!

I am profoundly against abortion and am conservative. I understand what people say about the republican party and womens rights. For me it's the lesser of two evils considering the other issues the demo party feel are important. These are just my opinions and in no way am I saying anyone is wrong or shouldn't have their own opinion. In my area (from my experience with friends, the media, and what was passed out in schools), PP mainly advertises and welcomes abortion. Pap smears, womens health, maternity health, etc isn't as advertised as abortion. This isn't something i support. It may be different in different areas but my opinion is from my experience from what I've seen.

Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I'm so fortunate to work for such a progressive company. I get 4 months paid and 1 month additional paid before birth if complications/doctors note and I think I can add PTO. My company gives the same benefit to new fathers which is insane. My husband unfortunately only gets one week paid. The US needs to really step it up for BOTH men and women!

BFP #1  7/19/15, CP 7/26/15
    BFP #2  9/17/15, EDD 5/28/15
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • yvide said:

caterin said:

Just curious? Are you German? Because I am and I never heard anyone around me making a comment like this badmouthing working mothers... I'm pretty sure people like this exist. It's just I never in my whole entire life came across someone like that. It just comes down to what works best for your family, who cares what other people think.

Yes, I am German. I have heard these kind of comments when I even dared to mention that women don't have to take a full year off. These kind of comments are also often directed at women who go back to working full time instead of the "expected" part time.

That said, I am curious, do you know any women who returned to work before one year was over? Especially one who returned after less than six month? I don't. In over 80 percent of heterosexual households, women take 12 months, and the dad takes the minimum of two months concurrently with the mother.
    German here who will return to work after 4 months.my hb is a student and only makes 500 €... and my salary ist not that great to provide for us when we don't receive 100 % anymore. Appalled by the US Maternity leave. You ladies mustbe miserable.
  • NOLA520 said:

I agree Maternity leave is a joke here. This is why I quit my job at a top ten university. But it's not really a party line thing. Companies don't want to do it. It's not the cost, it's rather the change in acknowledging what motherhood is in this country. We as a whole are too caught up in being equal to men rather than embracing woman hood. The top execs don't want to lose any profits. Also don't buy any criminal candidates like Hillary in their stands. It's one thing to run on platform ideas than to reform a country's thinking. Yes, love Canada's system and other countries but they have limited ultrasounds and long waits since everyone has coverage. It's obviously better than ours, but there's negatives to their system if you have a disease that you must see a doctor past a quota past 10 entitled appointments.

Oh good lord. 

I still sand by what I said. Sorry ms. Good lord snark. Maybe I oversimplified. I'm a Masters graduate and I worked my butt off for many years, so it's not like I think Traditonal roles are the only way. I took many women in public administration classes. It's great and all but I do think we don't value motherhood in the U.S. It's only when you become pregnant and a mother that it's important to us. Hence OP. Did they tell OP this in college? No. It's only when we become pregnant that it's like oh maternity leave. Most of my working friends are still caught up in this I can never depend on a man, what if I make more than him, or do I even want kids. True it's not for all and more power to you. But there's a clear push against womanhood. No one talks about how hard post partum is. Even fathers are looked down in certain industries when you take parental leave. I can personal attest to this when DH's job in the law looked down on him to help me. The majority of moms end up doing the pick up from daycare etc. it's truly sad how the world still works. I can go on, Hollywood valuing youth and not motherhood, true womanhood in society. Look around it's the truth.

• yvide said:

Yes, love Canada's system and other countries but they have limited ultrasounds and long waits since everyone has coverage

I waited a total of three days for my first ultrasound this pregnancy. One and two weeks with my first pregnancies which ended in miscarriages. I will have an ultrasound every two weeks for the rest of the pregnancy because I am high risk.

Panama has a similar system to this. I know for a fact if you have a stroke for example you don't have "unlimited" care. You have 10 therapy classes and then you have to wait to get seen again. It's better than ours, but not perfect. That's all I was saying. As some one stated about Germany, care is so Expensive, that you have to stay home in the first year.

For Canada and the UK many others have stated in online boards about waits to get seen or having to wait until 12 weeks to get the first ultrasound. I can post screen shots to show you. So I'm very confused at your personal experience. Perhaps being in high risk category you don't have to follow this?

• I still sand by what I said. Sorry ms. Good lord snark. Maybe I oversimplified. I'm a Masters graduate and I worked my butt off for many years, so it's not like I think Traditonal roles are the only way. I took many women in public administration classes. It's great and all but I do think we don't value motherhood in the U.S. It's only when you become pregnant and a mother that it's important to us. Hence OP. Did they tell OP this in college? No. It's only when we become pregnant that it's like oh maternity leave. Most of my working friends are still caught up in this I can never depend on a man, what if I make more than him, or do I even want kids. True it's not for all and more power to you. But there's a clear push against womanhood. No one talks about how hard post partum is. Even fathers are looked down in certain industries when you take parental leave. I can personal attest to this when DH's job in the law looked down on him to help me. The majority of moms end up doing the pick up from daycare etc. it's truly sad how the world still works. I can go on, Hollywood valuing youth and not motherhood, true womanhood in society. Look around it's the truth.

***waves** OP here. Nope, didn't teach it in college, but please don't presume you know me. This has been a hot button issue with me for a while. I don't need to take a college course to understand that our maternity leave, AND paternity leave in the US is a joke.  

cat fail animated GIF

• yvideyvide member
    edited October 2015

yvide said:

Yes, love Canada's system and other countries but they have limited ultrasounds and long waits since everyone has coverage

Panama has a similar system to this. I know for a fact if you have a stroke for example you don't have "unlimited" care. You have 10 therapy classes and then you have to wait to get seen again. It's better than ours, but not perfect. That's all I was saying. As some one stated about Germany, care is so Expensive, that you have to stay home in the first year.

For Canada and the UK many others have stated in online boards about waits to get seen or having to wait until 12 weeks to get the first ultrasound. I can post screen shots to show you. So I'm very confused at your personal experience. Perhaps being in high risk category you don't have to follow this?

You didn't read what I wrote at all if what you take away is "care is so expensive, you have to stay home the first year". I was talking about childcare, not health care and it's not so expensive you can't use it, it's just often not available because parents get 14 months of paid leave. So because almost nobody asks for it, it doesn't exist.

I have never heard of any German woman waiting more than three weeks to be seen for her first appointment when pregnant. There are not guidelines that my doctor is somehow disregarding because I am high risk - ultrasounds for confirming pregnancy are always covered under national health insurance. As are ultrasounds whenever you think something is wrong and regular checkups. Every woman also has a right to have a midwife, who even comes to your home up to 14 times after the birth to check on how you and your baby are doing if you want it.

Interestingly, many of the women here on the board are saying they won't get an ultrasound until 12 or even 16 weeks. And they are almost all in the US.

And no need to show me screenshots, I am not doubting this is the case for some doctors or even countries. But you were talking generally about all countries with national health care and that's just not true.
  • karmanakarmana member
    edited October 2015
  • Canadian married to an American military service member as well! I was just complaining to my husband about maternity leave, health care, etc. It's horrendous here and it 100% shouldn't be. Whereabouts are you stationed? 
  • To those who said they were interested in US presidential candidates who advocated for improving family/ maternity leave.... I really hope you watched the Democrat debates tonight. It came up several times by more than one candidate.
    Good point to bring up, I heard them talk about it, but I do not remember hearing it come up at all with the Republican debate. I know I will take this into account when I am voting.

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I get nothing. I'm going to have to work from my hospital bed, or forfeit my wages for the month. If I quit or leave, I burn bridges in my industry and won't get hired again.

My sister who lives in the UK got six months of full pay, and her husband got parental leave for I think six weeks.

Not to mention all their prenatal care was free and they had nurses making house calls for six weeks after the births.

Our country is bass ackwards.

But it is reassuring that all the democratic candidates support paid maternity leave.
  • Yeah, this is all new and terrifying to me - I'm from Canada, where a year of mat leave has been the standard for a while, and alll my friends in Canada are taking advantage of that. But not us, no. We moved to California because of a great opportunity ... sigh. America - you're great, you really are - but when it comes to mat leave, you suck so bad you make me angry. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Most people get nothing unless they have temp. Disability that they pay for. I would say count your blessings.
  • I don't even understand our mat leave policy because it's worded so incomprehensibly. It's also not in our handbook and I had to ask an HR rep for it way before I want any news of my pregnancy getting to anyone I work with.

It's something like 2 weeks paid at 100%, 6 weeks STD (the husband loves when I call it that) at 60%, then another 2 at 100%. Then it goes on to say something about "if you truly wish to take a full 12 weeks..." why make these things so confusing?

Not to mention we are expecting twins but will get leave as though we were having one child and not two. The HR lady implied that they would be making "some positive changes" to our parental leave policy in January, but I also can't help but feel like I am now on a risk list in the personnel office because I asked what the mat leave policy is.
  • blaisdewblaisdew member
    edited October 2015
    I am SO appalled by the maternity leave policy in the states! I am from Canada, but my mom's side of the family is all American and it is just unacceptable. In Canada we have a year, with the first couple months at 100% of your pay and the rest at 55%, to a maximum of 524$/ week.

To the people who think there is a trade-off in that we have long wait times or expensive services, that isn't true either. I'm low-risk, and have an appointment every 4 weeks, with several ultrasounds, all pre-booked. First was at 8 weeks. All free. We definitely do pay higher taxes for these services and policies though. 1/4 of my paychecks go towards taxes, if that means anything.

Day care here is almost impossible to find at under 12 months, but we have a paid maternity leave so most parents don't require it. I am wondering if daycare here maybe is more expensive? I believe it's around $1000 per month for one child full- time and grows cheaper as they age.

I want to cry in frustration when I hear about the policy in the states. I truly hope you get some support from future candidates!
  • blaisdew said:

I am SO appalled by the maternity leave policy in the states! I am from Canada, but my mom's side of the family is all American and it is just unacceptable. In Canada we have a year, with the first couple months at 100% of your pay and the rest at 55%, to a maximum of 524$/ week.

To the people who think there is a trade-off in that we have long wait times or expensive services, that isn't true either. I'm low-risk, and have an appointment every 4 weeks, with several ultrasounds, all pre-booked. First was at 8 weeks. All free. We definitely do pay higher taxes for these services and policies though. 1/4 of my paychecks go towards taxes, if that means anything.

Day care here is almost impossible to find at under 12 months, but we have a paid maternity leave so most parents don't require it. I am wondering if daycare here maybe is more expensive? I believe it's around $1000 per month for one child full- time and grows cheaper as they age.

I want to cry in frustration when I hear about the policy in the states. I truly hope you get some support from future candidates!

My taxes and co-pays for insurance probably add up to what your percentage of taxes are monthly and that will go up even more as soon as LO is born. For what I do pay you would think I would get a little bit more... I get a percentage of my pay for 6 weeks bc I paid for an insurance policy. Otherwise nothing. I started reviewing daycare as well and the cost (at least in my area) is about the same as what you mentioned, not to mention that starts at 10-11 weeks bc that's when I have to go back. And that's after not being paid for a month. And trying to find a way to pay my insurance premiums while not getting a paycheck.

What's sad is my situation is certainly a lot better than some peoples. So it goes to show how bad the policies for this are here. DH thinks it's crap, but if I ever mentioned it to people I know who don't have kids and don't care the response from them is usually 'well these people choose to have kids and I don't so why should I have to foot the bill while they sit at home not working'. It's unfortunate that's the mentality for a lot of people. And it perpetuates the issue.
  • @dshannah @dsmith211 I'm sorry to hear that... I don't know how families make it all work. I've read that some of the candidates have brought up changing the policy... Women and families deserve better.
  • I was talking with my supervisor yesterday about this and thankfully I signed up for income protection through my Union because that will allow me twelve weeks of paid leave. I could take up to a year off of my position, unpaid, if I wanted and still return to position. Unfortunately this time around a year unpaid isn't an option because my huband is getting his phD but I'm hopeful to utilize that with the following babies!
  • dshannah said:
    Oh, how sweet that you think we pay less in taxes! I am in a low tax bracket and pay 25% of my income in taxes. And then on top of that I pay insurance premiums and deductibles and co-pays. And annual costs for infant childcare in my state are $700/month, but I'm in a poorer state: in Massachusetts it's $1,400/month. So yeah. We've got a bigger military? I am guessing that's where our money is going? Because it certainly isn't going to help women or families.

This. Right here. THIS. 
  • My company seems to be middle of the road- 12 weeks max, only six of which are covered under short term disability at 67% of pay. Luckily, I have a bit of time saved up, so if I don't take any more days off until the kid is born, the other six weeks will all be paid 100% through PTO.
  • I work for a small employer so they are nice and pay us our normal pay for 6 weeks however I end up taking all 12 off and they are ok with that too. After this baby I may not go back to work at all though having two under two.
  • My company waited until about three months ago to tell us about any kind of leave at all (we're 6 people, just started growing a year ago so didn't have any policies at all prior), and guess what! It sucks.

I can take 4 weeks "emergency family leave," unpaid, and it even specifies that I'm not allowed to add unused PTO on to the end of that. I get that we're small, and if anyone leaves for too long it makes a huge impact on the company, but... this sucks.

Trying to feel happy for everyone who gets paid leave but feeling pretty jealous at the moment! Both the owners are family guys, so I'm hoping that the policy is more of a cover-your-ass thing, and they'll be more flexible, or at least let me work from home when I come back to start. In the mean time I'm always just trying to restrain myself from sending them articles about the benefits of giving paid maternity leave, the high costs of turnover, etc. I'll hold off at least until I've told them I'm pregnant :) 
  • @pascal86 good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • I'm in business for myself, and my husband is a university professor who will be all but done with the school year by May and not getting any paychecks between July and September. Only now am I just starting to freak out a little bit about how much of a hit our income is going to take when DD is born. While we will both be home with her 24/7 (good) I have no clue where the $$ is going to come from (yikes). I likely will have to get back to work as soon as humanly possible. So those of you who have any kind of maternity leave at all are fortunate, from my perspective!
  • Consider yourself lucky, in washington we do not get anything paid for during the 12 weeks we are able to take unless we sign up for a short term disability plan on our own. We have to use all our PTO first and then go unpaid. The US does not and never will value or support families or mothers (who make a decent living and contribute to our society).