June 2015 Moms
Options

FFFQ (Flame Free Friday Questions) 6/26 edition

2»

Re: FFFQ (Flame Free Friday Questions) 6/26 edition

• Options

I'm having an induction next week if this baby doesn't come naturally this weekend. I've heard of not being able to eat before a morning induction, but I will be induced starting at 8 pm with cervidile (spelling?) and pitocin the following morning? Do I need to fast before my night induction? Has anyone else had experience with a night induction? I've been doing some research and all the stories are pretty vague about what happens. I'm getting really nervous (FTM if you couldn't tell :-) )

I'm scheduled for a night induction too (but this baby better come out before then). I can't eat anything after 1pm that day!!! Only ice chips. Sounds absolutely ridiculous and mean. I will be drinking Gatorade if that happens.
  • Options
    so.. actual question. can being pregnant affect your eye sight?
    like over the last maybe 2 months, ive noticed my eyes cant focus on things that are really far away anymore and i definitely feel the strain if try.

so im wondering if the pregnancy is the culprit, or if its just my eyes giving up on me?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm having an induction next week if this baby doesn't come naturally this weekend. I've heard of not being able to eat before a morning induction, but I will be induced starting at 8 pm with cervidile (spelling?) and pitocin the following morning? Do I need to fast before my night induction? Has anyone else had experience with a night induction? I've been doing some research and all the stories are pretty vague about what happens. I'm getting really nervous (FTM if you couldn't tell :-) )

I had an induction - I checked in at 8am - and was told to eat a light breakfast. My Dr just said 'nothing heavy like biscuit's and grvay' so I had scrambled eggs and toast. I was initially told I could snack until in 'active' labor, but then got there and was restricted to the dreaded jello and clear liquids. They used cytotec to start instead of cervidil, but they also didn't start pitocin for me until about 4-5pm. It was a long haul. I kinda wished I had eaten biscuits and gravy, but then was also kinda glad I didn't cause I didn't want to be nauseous and vomiting everywhere (I've heard that can happen). My induction progressed pretty slowly then the shiz got real really quickly.

Each labor is different tho - the cervidil may jump start you from 0-100. Who knows? Wishing you luck and excellent pain management! I'm sure you and LO will do fine! :)

like over the last maybe 2 months, ive noticed my eyes cant focus on things that are really far away anymore and i definitely feel the strain if try.

so im wondering if the pregnancy is the culprit, or if its just my eyes giving up on me?

I feel like I read somewhere that it could affect vision, but right now don't remember where I saw that. It could be a combination of the two - a naturally occurring part of you aging and its heightened by the pregnancy?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member

It can. I actually need to get my eyes checked but wanted to wait until after I had the baby because the hormones can mess with your vision.
  • Options
    I see a lot of people posting how many ounces their LO is drinking. presumably you know because it's bottle feeding, but it seemed like one person was talking about BFing. am I missing a way to measure how many ounces come out the boob or am I being an idiot, and all those posts relate to bottle feeding?
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 when I went to the LC yesterday, they weighed her before, between, & after me feeding her & used that to calculate how much she was taking in from each boob. (Freaking 3 oz total at 1 week 4 days - which is why she thinks she's spitting up some after a big feeding).
    Other than that, I wouldn't know how much she was getting. She said it's pretty cool though bc with bottle feeding, you try to make sure they get all the formula or BM in at each feeding, while with EBF, she could eat a big breakfast, then a snack, & so on. She said it related to childhood obesity. Pretty informative meeting for me.
  • Options

@virginiaunicorn11 when I went to the LC yesterday, they weighed her before, between, & after me feeding her & used that to calculate how much she was taking in from each boob. (Freaking 3 oz total at 1 week 4 days - which is why she thinks she's spitting up some after a big feeding).
    Other than that, I wouldn't know how much she was getting. She said it's pretty cool though bc with bottle feeding, you try to make sure they get all the formula or BM in at each feeding, while with EBF, she could eat a big breakfast, then a snack, & so on. She said it related to childhood obesity. Pretty informative meeting for me.

Ah, that makes sense! Tell me more about the childhood obesity part, please? Thank you!!
  • Options
    So we're doing LO's photo session today because DH's aunt is a photographer and surprised us. LO is super fussy and won't fall into a deep sleep. My milk isn't in yet and I feel like her belly isn't full and that's why she's having trouble staying asleep. Would it be absolutely awful if I just gave her a little formula to get things rolling? I'm breastfeeding and it would just be this one time but I really just don't know. She's 4 days old.
  • Options
    @mvargas12 I personally wouldn't. Just one feeding of formula changes the bacteria in their gut as opposed to what it would be EBF. Again, just what I personally wouldn't do for a photoshoot but no judgement if you do!! She's your baby!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    lwyzlwyz member
    So...I went from this overwhelming sense of calm this morning to like...major anxiety. I don't have any anxious thoughts, I'm just... Anxious. I don't even know how to describe it. I've tried eating and drinking to see if it was just low blood sugar or dehydration. But that hasn't helped. I haven't really seen this as a pregnancy symptom anywhere I've read, but wondering if any of you ladies had a similar thing? I guess this could be going on the symptoms thread but I feel like it's kind of stupid, so I'm putting it here.
  • Options
    @JessHeppell I think vision changes have to do with fluid retention in pregnancy. If I remember correctly.

@krystleshel yes, please more info on the childhood obesity. Very interesting.

My question: does bleeding pp mean that your uterus is still shrinking? Does the bleeding stop when it gets back to original size or is it unrelated?

• Options
    @dancegurl1118 oh no, thanks!! That's exactly what I was looking for, a reason why not or a reason why it'd be okay. I definitely wouldn't do something that would mess with her just for a photoshoot. Thankfully she ended up just kind of settling on her own :)
  • Options
    ksimo6ksimo6 member

@JessHeppell yes! My sight is always blurry when pregnant. My doc told me it is normal. It clears up after birth. I promise.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options

My eyesight became really funky after delivery. My Mom needed to go buy me readers bc I couldn't read print or my phone. The nurses said it was normal bc of fluid retention. It went away after a couple of days.

@mvargas12 this is a little late but I have been giving my daughter formula since day one with breast milk. She had blood sugar issues and needed the formula to stabilize them. We haven't had any issues at all. But she is only really getting 2 oz a day of formula.
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 & @mcknzzee not sure on the specifics since she was just explaining it to me, not trying to convince me or anything, but pretty much sounded like she was saying a BF baby regulates their eating based on hunger & when they've had enough, compared to parents who use a bottle, they stress about the baby getting the whole amount whether baby wants/needs that much at that time. She was explaining it as part of our talk on "on demand feeding".

*i still plan on introducing a bottle after about week 3 for us, & no judgement for anyone here-just passing on what she told me. We've already discussed the fervent nature of some LC*
  • Options
    Need some input from unbiased sources... MIL is coming for a week long visit tomorrow. Visit was supposed to be 2 weeks ago but she got an upper respiratory infection. She told us today that she still has it, but according to her doctor is no longer contagious. DH is totally fine with her coming still. Ordinarily I would be too but I'm nervous with the baby. Part of me thinks I'm just being a crazy paranoid mom -again, doctor says not contagious - so I haven't said anything to DH... but a newborn with an upper respiratory does not sound fun. What do you all think - should I voice my worries, or am I being paranoid?
  • Options
    lwyzlwyz member
    @kes166 I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure she mentioned to the doctor she's be seeing a newborn, and he'd be a grossly neglectful doctor to still tell her she wasn't contagious anymore if there was even a small chance of transmission.
  • Options
    kes166 said:

Need some input from unbiased sources... MIL is coming for a week long visit tomorrow. Visit was supposed to be 2 weeks ago but she got an upper respiratory infection. She told us today that she still has it, but according to her doctor is no longer contagious. DH is totally fine with her coming still. Ordinarily I would be too but I'm nervous with the baby. Part of me thinks I'm just being a crazy paranoid mom -again, doctor says not contagious - so I haven't said anything to DH... but a newborn with an upper respiratory does not sound fun. What do you all think - should I voice my worries, or am I being paranoid?

I'm sure she doesn't want the baby sick by her hands anymore than you do, and I'm sure if she has had it this long she was on some serious antibiotics which would render her no longer contagious. I'm obsessive with being sick around babies, but I'm sure she cleared it with her doctor who wouldn't suggest it if he wasn't sure.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    lwyz said:

@kes166 I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure she mentioned to the doctor she's be seeing a newborn, and he'd be a grossly neglectful doctor to still tell her she wasn't contagious anymore if there was even a small chance of transmission.

Ok thank you haha that's what the rational part of my brain was saying but I needed other new moms to confirm it :) thanks!

ETA thanks also to @Laurabean34 !
  • Options
    Bumping this for 7/3. Did anyone have a nighttime induction and were not allowed to eat 7 hours prior to admission? Pitocin won't start till the am. Just really nervous about not having any energy and feeling like crap since I can't eat or drink. I couldn't find anything on the search function.
  • Options
    lwyzlwyz member
    jesshrou said:

Bumping this for 7/3. Did anyone have a nighttime induction and were not allowed to eat 7 hours prior to admission? Pitocin won't start till the am. Just really nervous about not having any energy and feeling like crap since I can't eat or drink. I couldn't find anything on the search function.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume if they didn't want you eating prior, they would have told you. I think this is kind of a 'depends on hospital policy' thing. Call labor and delivery if you're unsure, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you!
  • Options
    lwyz said:

jesshrou said:

I don't know for sure, but I would assume if they didn't want you eating prior, they would have told you. I think this is kind of a 'depends on hospital policy' thing. Call labor and delivery if you're unsure, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you!
    That is what I was told. NPO except ice chips after 1pm for an 8 pm cervidil. Wondering if anyone else was told the same bc it seems a bit extreme.
  • Options
    jesshrou said:

lwyz said:

jesshrou said:

That is what I was told. NPO except ice chips after 1pm for an 8 pm cervidil. Wondering if anyone else was told the same bc it seems a bit extreme.
    We tell are patients to EAT prior to coming in for induction.. And still feed them light meals until active labor (unless baby's fetal heart tracing is not reassuring )
  • Options
    Hmm I was given cytotec and then told to go eat dinner and come back in 3 hours. Then I was given pitocin. Basically I could eat up until the epidural if I recall? (I didn't though, was too distracted).
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member
    I didn't see a flame free Friday for today and noticed this had been bumped up. Two questions for y'all...

1) I want to start pumping and having DH give one bottle a day. When is the best time to pump?

2) If we go somewhere and I wanted to take a bottle in case LO gets hungry, is it okay to just throw a bottle of breast milk in the diaper bag? Do I need to put it on ice or anything?
  • Options
    HayesRN13 said:

jesshrou said:

lwyz said:

jesshrou said:

We tell are patients to EAT prior to coming in for induction.. And still feed them light meals until active labor (unless baby's fetal heart tracing is not reassuring )
    Why is my doctor being so old school :( seriously upset about this. I'll be making a good argument against this on Monday. I may sneak a light meal otherwise. I don't understand how this is different than if I went to the hospital right now after dinner in labor.
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member
    @jesshrou I'd eat. I ate right before going into labor, threw it all up, and actually felt hungry during labor. We ordered food pretty shortly after I had Colin.
  • Options
    @amccoy129 I get the most mid morning. I was also told BM good at room temp (under 78 degrees) for 8 hours. If it is crazy hot I'd put it in a cooler personally
  • Options
    amccoy129 said:

I didn't see a flame free Friday for today and noticed this had been bumped up. Two questions for y'all...

1) I want to start pumping and having DH give one bottle a day. When is the best time to pump?

2) If we go somewhere and I wanted to take a bottle in case LO gets hungry, is it okay to just throw a bottle of breast milk in the diaper bag? Do I need to put it on ice or anything?

DH wakes with DD and gives her a bottle (usually formula not EBM...too hard to warm up!!! Errr). Anyway, as soon as I wake up I pump and usually get 1.5/2 oz per side. That usually goes into the fridge for the day. If it's still there by the next day, than I freeze it. I already have 8 bags of 4 oz each.

I think it will be okay if you are staying inside. But if you are going to be outside where it's hot, than I would cool it.

• Options
    @amccoy129 I get the most after i've been sleeping for awhile. I think it has time to build up or something. Also, If you refrigerate the milk and take it out before you leave it will probably be a good temperature by the time you are ready to feed LO.
  • Options
    aj1327aj1327 member
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    We are going to a bbq today outside: what do I need to consider in keeping LO from overheating or getting too much sun? It's supposed to be overcast. I know no sunscreen allowed. Does she wear a hat? Presuming I can even get that to transpire without a fight?
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

We are going to a bbq today outside: what do I need to consider in keeping LO from overheating or getting too much sun? It's supposed to be overcast. I know no sunscreen allowed. Does she wear a hat? Presuming I can even get that to transpire without a fight?

I think hat plus light (assuming it's hot where you are) blanket covering, or pop her in a carrier so she's all covered up.

Just wanted to remind you not to be fooled by the clouds! As a porcelain-skinned gal I promise you she still needs protection!
  • Options
    To piggyback on the sun question - how am I going to keep mosquitoes away from LO? I've been thinking to just cover the carseat with a muslin blanket, but then nobody can see him. I can bring up the canopy on the the stroller / car seat combo so people can look thru the mesh at the sides, but its a thick mesh, I'm pretty sure a mosquito could go thru the mesh holes.

I saw someone mention a mosquito net - where would I get something like that? Would target have them, maybe?
  • Options
    mellymar said:

To piggyback on the sun question - how am I going to keep mosquitoes away from LO? I've been thinking to just cover the carseat with a muslin blanket, but then nobody can see him. I can bring up the canopy on the the stroller / car seat combo so people can look thru the mesh at the sides, but its a thick mesh, I'm pretty sure a mosquito could go thru the mesh holes.

I saw someone mention a mosquito net - where would I get something like that? Would target have them, maybe?

I got a mosquito net for the stroller from Babies R Us. It works great!

• Options
    @mellymar
    I ordered the Brica brand cover from babies r us. It's SPF 50 and keeps all bugs out. Best purchase I ever made.