September 2015 Moms
Options

Turning baby shower into diaper drive.

Hi! I am wondering if any one has had experience in having a diaper drive instead of gifts for your baby shower? I have a lot of stuff already and my friend suggested I have a diaper drive instead. How do you say that in the invitation? Or is there a way to request gift cards without sounding rude?

Re: Turning baby shower into diaper drive.

• Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with having a diaper shower. If that's what you want to do, go for it! There are a ton of ideas on Pinterest. I thought this one was funny (depends on your crowd). You can tailor your invite to suite your needs & only register for diapers, wipes & related items. It's your day, do what you want, and don't let strangers on the internet sway your opinion!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know sometimes there are diaper raffles and from my experience that is the more appropriate option. I agree with PP that it gets tricky when you are inviting people to a shower and they want to shower you with good will and gifts and then restrict them to something specific regardless of your having alot of baby stuff already. I got many second hand things as well and just made sure not to include them on the registry. If I get a pack and play I will return it because I already have two. I would say if you know your audience then you would know you can get away with asking for gift cards or diapers specifically on the invite. Possibly call it a diaper drive instead of a shower?. Also make sure you don't have a registry with anything but diapers possibly?
  • Options
    amanda1ncamanda1nc member
    edited June 2015
    There is such thing as a diaper raffle.  If guests choose, they can bring a pack of diapers, any brand, any size and enter a diaper raffle where you do a drawing for prize.  It's more of a game than a demand.  For those who think it's not appropriate to ask for specific items this may work.  Of course, you can always register for diapers on your baby registry instead.  

If you do the diaper raffle, there are cards that can be included with your shower invites!  I have been to showers that did baby raffles, and I thought it was cute. 

• Options
    Slightly off topic, has everyone sent out their shower invites? My host hasn't sent them yet, and my shower is next month. I feel like they should have been sent by now... :-?
  • Options
    My hosts are doing a diaper raffle. They put it as an insert to my invite. And since I didn't know about it until I received a copy of the invite for the baby book, I don't think it is necessarily in poor taste. It all depends on the crowd I think.
  • Options
    We did a diaper raffle for my best friend at her shower. It was just a little insert with a rhyme (her shower was Dr suess themed) I thought it was cute. At the end of the shower we pulled tickets from the raffle and gave prizes.
  • Options
    @princesspiper i sent mine out mid may My shower is June 28th. I would get worried if the invites weren't out a month in advance especially in summer because of people making traveling plans
  • Options
    CEB37CEB37 member
    Yiggle09 said:

@princesspiper i sent mine out mid may My shower is June 28th. I would get worried if the invites weren't out a month in advance especially in summer because of people making traveling plans

For what it's worth, I don't think people would rearrange vacation plans for a baby shower. It's not like it's a wedding. 4 weeks in advance is plenty of notice for a shower.
  • Options
    MW5280MW5280 member
    @PrincessPiper I think 4-6 weeks notice for a shower is an appropriate amount of time for shower invites.

I'm on the flip side of this: my shower isn't until August and my host got the invites 2 weeks ago...she's maybe an overachiever :-)
  • Options
    CEB37CEB37 member

A diaper drive? Perhaps for homeless babies. Please enjoy the gifts that people willingly choose themselves.

All I can think of is Jessica Seinfeld's baby buggy charity when I see these posts...
  • Options
    @CEB37 respectfully I said traveling plans- this might mean day trips to beaches or casual camping trips with friends that you would be very able not to plan or reschedule had you known you have a friend or family member having an event. I did say I'd get worried if the invites were not out a month prior which implies I agree that a month is enough notice.
  • Options
    Yiggle09 said:

Thanks! Mine is July 26th. Guess I still have a few weeks!
  • Options
    CEB37CEB37 member
    Yiggle09 said:

@CEB37 respectfully I said traveling plans- this might mean day trips to beaches or casual camping trips with friends that you would be very able not to plan or reschedule had you known you have a friend or family member having an event. I did say I'd get worried if the invites were not out a month prior which implies I agree that a month is enough notice.

@Yiggle09 Respectfully, I don't really consider those as "travel" plans...
  • Options
    MW5280 said:

@PrincessPiper I think 4-6 weeks notice for a shower is an appropriate amount of time for shower invites.

I'm on the flip side of this: my shower isn't until August and my host got the invites 2 weeks ago...she's maybe an overachiever :-)

Deffo an overachiever! My host has been swamped with a work project she finally finished last week. She told me she wasn't doing shiz until after it was done! Guess now's the time! She is ordering Gigi's cupcakes! :-bd That's all I can think about!!!
  • Options

If you don't want a Shower with the regular registry and just diapers.. why not throw a party / BBQ to celebrate you and your SO expecting your new LO --- like a BabyQ--Grill, Drinks and Diapers and don't register or anything just invite with the diaper/wipes raffle (optional) and then have prizes for people who get picked. Then just the rest of the day is just a party of friends/family gathering together.

Or I have seen the fathers have their own little gathering and its like a "Dudes and Diapers" or something like that (sure you could find it on pinterest).

• Options
    In my circle of friends a beer and diaper party is common to celebrate the dad becoming a father. Everyone brings a pack of diapers and some beer to hang out and celebrate. They are in addition to the baby shower.
  • Options

If you don't want a Shower with the regular registry and just diapers.. why not throw a party / BBQ to celebrate you and your SO expecting your new LO --- like a BabyQ--Grill, Drinks and Diapers and don't register or anything just invite with the diaper/wipes raffle (optional) and then have prizes for people who get picked. Then just the rest of the day is just a party of friends/family gathering together.

Or I have seen the fathers have their own little gathering and its like a "Dudes and Diapers" or something like that (sure you could find it on pinterest).

Whatever you do OP please don't call it Huggies & Chuggies
    HA I haven't heard that one yet! Definitely do NOT call it that. Chuggies...  =)
  • Options
    I agree with other PP's who say do a diaper raffle. Include it in the invitations that if you bring a pack of diapers you will be entered to win a prize (like a gift card or something). They did that at my SIL's baby shower and she came away with a ton of diapers. Also I've seen people put in the invitation instead of bringing a card, buy the baby a book to fill their library :)
  • Options
    CEB37CEB37 member

I agree with other PP's who say do a diaper raffle. Include it in the invitations that if you bring a pack of diapers you will be entered to win a prize (like a gift card or something). They did that at my SIL's baby shower and she came away with a ton of diapers. Also I've seen people put in the invitation instead of bringing a card, buy the baby a book to fill their library :)

It's pretty uncouth to ask for additional gifts.
  • Options
    Hmmm I don't think it's rude to ask for diapers if it is specifically a diaper shower. Diapers are not the most fun gift to shop for lol, but if it's what you need then I don't really see the issue with it. I would make sure that "diapers" were somehow in the title of the party that way you shouldn't have to specifically ask people to gift them. And then if people don't want to buy you diapers they can always bring you something else, but the focus would be on what you need. 
  • Options
    Our shower is the 25th of July and we sent out invites this week. We also did a "save the date announcement" a few weeks ago.

As for the diapers, my cousin did the diaper raffle at her shower and it seemed to go over pretty well.
  • Options
    Hmmm I don't think it's rude to ask for diapers if it is specifically a diaper shower. Diapers are not the most fun gift to shop for lol, but if it's what you need then I don't really see the issue with it. I would make sure that "diapers" were somehow in the title of the party that way you shouldn't have to specifically ask people to gift them. And then if people don't want to buy you diapers they can always bring you something else, but the focus would be on what you need. 

having a specific "diaper party" = asking for specific gifts = rude. Calling it a diaper shower does not make it ok to dictate gifts.
  • Options
    Hmm I went to a diaper keg and didn't find it rude at all. Typically when you go to keg parties at people houses you pay 5-10 dollars to help out for the price. Instead they asked for diapers. It was all co ed and a lot of fun. It's an idea. I don't think the couple who had it bought diapers until their son was like 1 1/2 they just exchanged them for other sizes.
  • Options
    I haven't gone to many parties like that since college either. My idea of fun drinking is cards at someones house anymore. I guess I was just assuming people still ask to pitch in for kegs. We're on baby number 3 lol. Parties like that require a three day recovery and no one has time for that.
  • Options
    CEB37 said:
    It's pretty uncouth to ask for additional gifts.
    To each their own opinion I guess. I've been invited to several showers in my circle of friends who the host had this added into the invites and never thought it was inappropriate. Then again I'm not a card person in general, I find them to be a waste of money because they just get thrown away but books would be used. Maybe that's why I don't see anything wrong with it. Again, to each their own though.
  • Options
    Peony1982Peony1982 member
    edited June 2015
    I haven't gone to many parties like that since college either. My idea of fun drinking is cards at someones house anymore. I guess I was just assuming people still ask to pitch in for kegs. We're on baby number 3 lol. Parties like that require a three day recovery and no one has time for that.

ok, well at least where I come from, when grown ups throw parties, they provide all food and beverage without asking for money. Most other civilized grow ups will ask "What can I bring?" And the host can say "nothing, I'm good, thank you" or "you know, I'm out of ideas on an appetizer. Want to bring a little platter of something?". Those with specific beer tastes will sometimes bring their own six pack.  Just like I'd never say "come to my party, please bring the burgers", I'd never say "come to my party, please bring diapers".  And keg or not, no 3 day recovery required if you act like an adult. 
  • Options
    Peony1982 said:

having a specific "diaper party" = asking for specific gifts = rude. Calling it a diaper shower does not make it ok to dictate gifts.
    I disagree. It's still a suggestion that people bring diapers as gifts rather than other baby stuff. She isn't making it a requirement or anything, it's a suggestion same as a registry basically (but without physically registering for a ton of diapers). I honestly don't see the difference in an invitation basically stating that they need/want diapers and an invitation stating where they are registered. It's all just a helpful suggestion. 
  • Options
    Peony1982 said:

I disagree. It's still a suggestion that people bring diapers as gifts rather than other baby stuff. She isn't making it a requirement or anything, it's a suggestion same as a registry basically (but without physically registering for a ton of diapers). I honestly don't see the difference in an invitation basically stating that they need/want diapers and an invitation stating where they are registered. It's all just a helpful suggestion. 

With that logic, saying costumes aren't required at a costume party is technically true, but it's expected that you go along with it. You're basically guilting your guests into bringing diapers.