June 2015 Moms
Options

New Moms - Weekly June 6-13 Updates, Issues, Accomplishments

Hi new Moms! Here is you thread to vent your frustrations and brag about your accomplishments for the week. We are all in the same boat right now - sleep deprived, nipples cracked, confused, etc. Let's support each other. We will get through it together :)

My frustration today is my husband. I find myself wanting to correct the way he does things. It's what all the books/classes tells you NOT to do haha. I am by no means an expert but being with the baby all day I'm picking up on his cues. For instance, my husband doesn't burp the baby that much during feedings which leaves him gassy and cranky. Or if he does, he lightly taps his back.  Then he goes off to work (or back to bed) and I'm dealing with a fussy gussy. I want to scream "tap the baby's back a little harder to move that gas!!"

It's evident my husband doesn't do well with lack of sleep but if I'm pumping in the middle of the night and the baby needs a bottle he can barely function in getting it or changing his diaper. Typically we have it timed where that doesn't happen but baby seems to be more hungry at night. Anyway, I'm convinced my husband fell asleep standing up at one point. GET IT TOGETHER!! I'm sleep deprived too!! He also gets frustrated when he's squirming or fussy during a diaper change. Or if he changes him and then 5 minutes later he starts pooping again. IT'S A BABY!! That's what they do!! It's not going to get better for awhile.

This morning when he was feeding the baby, I tried to work into conversation the things I noticed while being at home with baby. He knew what I was doing but kept his mouth shut haha. We'll see what the day brings.

Re: New Moms - Weekly June 6-13 Updates, Issues, Accomplishments

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have not had a single migraine while pregnant. All of a sudden this morning BAM! It hit like a ton of bricks. Thank goodness I had something already that I got when pregnant that is safe. I'm back to just dealing with mastitis and raw nipples.

@btm013
    You're not alone in the DH dept. I think mine has forgotten our plan to take turns during the night. He's now sleeping through everything and occasionally gets up to go grab more diapers or something for me. *sigh*
  • Options
    It's nice to hear from everyone that I'm not alone. Baby refuses to latch, even after getting her tongue tie fixed on Friday. That appt had us out of the house for 5 hours and both baby and I melted down. It was too much.

I've been pumping but it's so hard to find the time plus it kills my back - does anyone have a suggestion on how to pump when the stupid pumps don't face downward but at that stupid angle? I feel like I have to sit hunched over to get the milk to go into the bottle and not back towards by breast.

I also have a large hemorrhoid which makes it impossible to sit, which is what I need to do to feed and pump. I'm miserable and the creams and pain meds are not cutting it. I feel like I can't even take care of this baby. Thank god for DH.

Is there a specific day most people "turn the corner"? I'm on day 6 and it's starting to wear me down.
  • Options
    Wow. Just reading this thread helps me feel not so alone. My husband is AMAZING and I feel so guilty because he is taking care of baby while I sleep a lot. I am so exhausted.

On Friday it had been four or five days of screaming every time I tried to feed DS. Every two hours it was an hour and a half of screaming before he ate and got back to sleep. I finally called the lactation consultants and they said it would be ok to pump and feed him from the bottle. Problem is mostly gone now- I guess he just couldn't get it fast enough the breast.

Anyway, I am so freaking tired and it makes my fibro pain so much worse. DH insists that I just need to recover from pregnancy, and the week of no sleep (couldn't sleep at the hospital either), but the guilt is tough. I'm so freaking lucky.
  • Options
    ciennah99ciennah99 member
    edited June 2015
    mcknzzee said:

Wow. Just reading this thread helps me feel not so alone. My husband is AMAZING and I feel so guilty because he is taking care of baby while I sleep a lot. I am so exhausted.

On Friday it had been four or five days of screaming every time I tried to feed DS. Every two hours it was an hour and a half of screaming before he ate and got back to sleep. I finally called the lactation consultants and they said it would be ok to pump and feed him from the bottle. Problem is mostly gone now- I guess he just couldn't get it fast enough the breast.

Anyway, I am so freaking tired and it makes my fibro pain so much worse. DH insists that I just need to recover from pregnancy, and the week of no sleep (couldn't sleep at the hospital either), but the guilt is tough. I'm so freaking lucky.

I understand how you feel with the fibro. I have an autoimmune disease with many similarities to fibro & the labor, delivery & now hardly any sleep has made my pain really flare up. I hurt so bad in almost every part of my body. To top it off I'm also struging with insomnia. Nothing new for me but now that I have to wake so often I can't afford to miss even more sleep. So far I'm exclusively bf so DH can't help me with that. DD has me up most of the night. Is anyone else struggling with insomnia?
    @kkdb14 I can only imagine how you feel being only 18. It's tough enough for me & I'm 33! Hang in there.
  • Options
    kkdb14kkdb14 member
    ciennah99 said:

@kkdb14 I can only imagine how you feel being only 18. It's tough enough for me & I'm 33! Hang in there.

Thanks, I'm doing my best! This new mom thing is hard regardless of age! My mom has fibro & lupus, and I can't imagine how she felt through both my and my sister's pregnancy, birth, and infancy. I hope you find some relief soon!
  • Options
    Haven't had baby yet, but was wondering how has bath time been for you all? And cleaning around baby's belly button? Most talk have been about bfeeding so just curious!!
  • Options
    slr1229 said:

Haven't had baby yet, but was wondering how has bath time been for you all? And cleaning around baby's belly button? Most talk have been about bfeeding so just curious!!

We've done two baths so far, one at the hospital and one at home. She hates them haha. But cleaning around her belly button has been fine, we were told not to use alcohol and to just cover it with our hands to avoid getting it wet. Round 3 is today, hopefully it'll go well (and by well, I simply mean that we'll keep the belly button dry and that it'll be over soon - I know better than to hope that she won't scream her head off!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @slr1229
    DS loves his bath! We've had two sponge baths and one in the baby tub after his cord fell off. He is bright eyed and loves the massage except for his arms. But he never likes his arms messed with. His favorite part is after the bath when I wash his (long!!!) hair under the faucet. He looks like he's in heaven!
  • Options
    Is anyone else having the issue of their little one sleeping in their own bed? Every time I lay DS down, especially at night, he screams. The only way I can get him to sleep and stay asleep is if he sleeps on my chest. I know it's a horrible habit but does anyone have advice?
  • Options
    ktwilki5 said:

Is anyone else having the issue of their little one sleeping in their own bed? Every time I lay DS down, especially at night, he screams. The only way I can get him to sleep and stay asleep is if he sleeps on my chest. I know it's a horrible habit but does anyone have advice?

We've been having this issue with our baby's bassinet. She's been sleeping in her swing though so not exactly your problem. But I'd love some advice. My friend told me to just let her sleep where ever works for her. And I really do want to but we are currently living in a one bedroom duplex so I've been sleeping on the couch because there isn't enough room for it in our bedroom. But I'm dying to sleep in my own bed again
  • Options
    ktwilki5 said:

This happened with us for the first few nights. What has made a huge difference is I've had to switch to pumping for the weekend because I've lost my nipple shield and after having a bottle I can lay her down anywhere and she'll sleep. I think breastfeeding was stressing her out and cuddling was the only thing that would calm her down. I am going to try nursing again when my new nipple shields come in tomorrow, and I'm going to be working with the LC to try to make breastfeeding easier for both of us, but until LO and I are both more comfortable with it, I'm going to stick to pumping at night. I would strongly advise that you consult with your LC before trying this. I'm not sure how it's going to impact my own breastfeeding journey and I only resorted to it because I can't breastfeed without the nipple shield and LO needs to eat. But for us this has made a world of difference!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    janat1717janat1717 member
    edited June 2015
    Ha! I have my DH sleeping downstairs as he was not functioning on babies schedule at all... And he's still more tired then me. Baby and I love the side lying position for BFing which is awesome at night since we co sleep. I will say we still struggle with the other positions. I have trouble getting his limbs arranged so he feels secure and getting him latched at the same time. He is going through first growth spurt so he's had some freak outs when I can't keep up. Oh and the dogs are great with him, phew!!!!!!
  • Options
    I was having a hard time getting LO to sleep anywhere else but on my chest too. Until yesterday. Now he doesn't want to sleep much at all! It's been something different every 3-4 days. There was also a stretch in there where he stopped wanting his daddy to hold him. Brace yourself for that one. DH's feelers (what DD calls them) were hurt!
  • Options
    ktwilki5 said:

The same thing happens with my LO. I can get him to sleep in the swing and bassinet during the day but at night he needs to be skin to skin with DH or me. We have tried swaddling but his hands break through even the nurses' swaddles. We tried the swaddles too but his hands break free and it's not safe to leave him in it over night if it's loose from breaking free. We have tried different sounds but those only calm if he is in our arms or going for a car ride and fussy.

I really don't have a good answer on how to address this because the literature seems to be contradicting depending on what you read and what philosophy you follow. So at this point I am taking pieces that work for my LO from the different philosophies out there. So in this case I am viewing this as part of the 4th trimester in that he is adjusting to life outside the womb and may need more cuddles in the evening.
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 I am having trouble with our pet rabbit and the baby. The 1st night we were home he tried clawing at dh and would run away from dd. I am pretty sure he was mad that we were gone for 6 days too.
    The other day he did a little better with me holding him and dh holding her. But I think it will take time.
  • Options
    kkdb14kkdb14 member
    Update on my exclusive pumping:

Today DD turned 2 weeks, and I also COMPLETELY LOST ALL OF MY MILK. Wtf. I've been pulling 8-10 oz per 30 min pump and now I'm lucky to get .5 oz in an hour. 100% out of the blue. It began in the middle of the night last night, it started as supplementing formula for the first time. First it was 80% BM, then the next feeding was 70%, then 50%, and now it's just gone. Half an ounce? Seriously? So we've been on 100% formula since 10 a.m.. It's been 14 hours since my last pump and I don't even feel engorged, whereas yesterday, within two hours I had to pump or the pain was so bad I'd tear up. I don't know what to do.

And in addition, I'm feeling really guilty about the fact that I'm kindof enjoying FF for the moment. It's really easy... I want to give BM only for as long as possible, but WOW is it way easier. I'm struggling, ladies.

Is it too early for me to be ovulating? Or maybe PP hormones dropping off? I know milk supply regulates and the extra production slows down, but it's not like I've lost extra. I flat out do not have enough to give more than 1/5 of a bottle. :-<
  • Options

I'm going to be a SAHM all day every day by myself. It's what I've always wanted but right now the thought is really scary!

This. I'm totally scared and every time I think about him returning to work I panic a little inside.
  • Options
    Our dogs laid outside the room where I gave birth and could see through a baby gate so they had a head start on getting used to baby. We left it like that for about a day and then brought baby to gate for them to sniff closer. After that they smelled a foot. Next step like a day later was sitting with baby out where they were. We have found that old milk on the face makes instant friends :) I think we got lucky though as the dogs while interested don't seem overly interested at all. DH takes them for a walk every day too and we treat a lot to keep things positive for them.
  • Options
    btm013btm013 member
    kkdb14 said:
    Update on my exclusive pumping: Today DD turned 2 weeks, and I also COMPLETELY LOST ALL OF MY MILK. Wtf. I've been pulling 8-10 oz per 30 min pump and now I'm lucky to get .5 oz in an hour. 100% out of the blue. It began in the middle of the night last night, it started as supplementing formula for the first time. First it was 80% BM, then the next feeding was 70%, then 50%, and now it's just gone. Half an ounce? Seriously? So we've been on 100% formula since 10 a.m.. It's been 14 hours since my last pump and I don't even feel engorged, whereas yesterday, within two hours I had to pump or the pain was so bad I'd tear up. I don't know what to do. And in addition, I'm feeling really guilty about the fact that I'm kindof enjoying FF for the moment. It's really easy... I want to give BM only for as long as possible, but WOW is it way easier. I'm struggling, ladies. Is it too early for me to be ovulating? Or maybe PP hormones dropping off? I know milk supply regulates and the extra production slows down, but it's not like I've lost extra. I flat out do not have enough to give more than 1/5 of a bottle. :-<
    I'm concerned my milk is on the decline. Actually, I never even produced that much for it to truly decline!! I too pump exclusively and I've been hanging around at 2oz from Friday-Sunday and with my last two pumps I only got 1oz out of righty. It doesn't feel engorged either and barely pumped. I checked the tubing and breast pump parts and it all seems to be working fine. I have a call out to the LC as a follow up from last week. I really wanted this to work but I'm losing faith. I've tried everything - fenugreek, Guinness, oatmeal, lactation cookies, etc. Plus DS is chowing down on 3+oz anymore so I can barely keep up when I was at 2oz a breast. We've been supplementing as needed. May I ask what formula you are using? We are using the Similac Supplement. He seems to be tolerating it.
  • Options
    btm013btm013 member
    teather5 said:
    I'm going to be a SAHM all day every day by myself. It's what I've always wanted but right now the thought is really scary!
    DITTO!!!!! However, sometimes I find it more stressful when my husband is thrown into the mix haha. He stresses over every cry, flinch, etc and being at home I know his cues and wants. At least at this point I know them. It could all changes tomorrow!
  • Options
    I had horrific intense upper thigh (I'm guessing sciatic or nerve) pain during labor, due to baby's position. I did not have an ounce of leg or hip pain during pregnancy, however the past 2 days the pain is back on one side. Motrin isn't touching it. It honestly feels like I'm having a contraction back in that leg every few minutes (and I get a wave of PTSD from the labor pain). Anyone else with residual pain or know of any relief for the nerve pain?
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Well I was feeling like a champ last week with how much I was producing while pumping, but starting about two days ago my supply also drastically dropped. I can barely pump enough for one twin, let alone two. It takes 2 good pumping sessions to get enough to feed both twins. So basically every other (sometimes every 3rd) feeding is breast milk and the rest is formula. We're also using similar advantage. Reallyyyyy hoping this is due to ovulation and will pass...

*also feeling a little guilty because formula feeding is SO much easier and less stressful. Gotta truck on though, formula feeding twins would be ridiculously expensive!