June 2015 Moms
Options

New Moms - Weekly June 6-13 Updates, Issues, Accomplishments

Re: New Moms - Weekly June 6-13 Updates, Issues, Accomplishments

• Options

I haven't been very active on the board for awhile, as I'm still getting the hang of things with my 4 day old. I'm really worried I'm going to get ppd. I'm prone to depression and I'm already starting to feel pretty down. I feel terrible because I haven't felt that connection with my baby yet. I feel like a terrible mom. Whenever she cries I don't feel the maternal instinct to go take care of her, I feel like I don't want to do it and it's just my job. We switched to formula because I couldn't take all the pressure to be the one responsible for feeding her. While that's helping me feel better, I haven't gotten a lot of support from my doctor or her pediatrician. Hopefully this all passes soon.

Please know you are not alone, and keep an eye on it. I have been feeling similarly and DH is having me talk a lot to him about it. Do you have a partner you can talk to? I know it's hard to say, "I want to WANT to do this but I don't really feel that way". Every time my baby is awake I get panicky because I don't know what to do - I prefer when she's asleep. And I am tired of putting in the work to breastfeed and I get worried that means I don't love her enough. So yes, it's all overwhelming and for me the first week was the hardest. We are entering week 2 and I'm hoping I start to feel more comfortable and connected with LO. DH and I both feel everything has been really "transactional" with baby which makes it tough to really bond. Everything is just fulfilling a need she has. I'm hoping we can engage her more in play and such in a few more weeks and it won't feel so tough. I wish you luck, keep talking to anyone you can, and the fact that you posted means you care!

• Options
    Huge life change, lack of sleep, trying to breastfeed, disappointment of changing to formula, under severe pressure, being a mum, lack of support.....it's only been four days! X try not to evaluate yourself. You are surviving as best you can.....sounds like your doing well to me :)
    Keep going x
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know all babies will be different, but how much are you LOs eating and how often? Mine is 11 days old and eating 2 oz every 2 hours - but gets crazy each time like she's never been fed before... Wondering if I should up her to 3 oz so she goes longer in between feedings? It just feels like a lot!
  • Options
    kkdb14kkdb14 member
    edited June 2015
    hoodoll82 said:

I know all babies will be different, but how much are you LOs eating and how often? Mine is 11 days old and eating 2 oz every 2 hours - but gets crazy each time like she's never been fed before... Wondering if I should up her to 3 oz so she goes longer in between feedings? It just feels like a lot!

LO came home at 1.5 oz and by the time she was a week and a few days she was at 3 oz. Granted, pedi said she hit her first growth spurt pretty quickly, and that I shouldn't expect her to up her intake much for a little while (she's just over 2 weeks now). Mine did the 2 oz every 2 hours for a week or so and the only reason I upped it was because she was still rooting and chewing on her hands after finishing her bottle. In my experience, feeding more than what she asked for didn't made her sleep longer, it just upseted her stomach and occasionally put her to sleep.

ETA: reworded for better clarity
    ETA2: she's currently at 3 oz every 2-3 hours
  • Options
    kkdb14kkdb14 member
    Does anyone else's LO have an umbilical hernia? I was told it "isn't uncommon", but I wasn't sure how much. Pedi says it doesn't hurt or cause any issue, and that it will usually go away before a year old. Maybe this is just the vain-ness in me, but I hate it. It looks so funny constantly sticking out of her little belly like it does :|
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

First of all, I hope you have a smooth recovery from your procedure! That must've been so scary!

On the topic of food, my baby is 9 days old and is close to the eating habits of yours. She averages 2-3 hours between feedings and is also drinking about 2oz each time. We let her drink as much as she wants but that's about what she's usually interested in. What do you mean by "goes crazy"? Do you just mean that she drinks really fast? Because mine usually scarfs down her 2 oz in about 5-10 minutes haha. I think it's just because of being bottle fed. Hope this helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I haven't been very active on the board for awhile, as I'm still getting the hang of things with my 4 day old. I'm really worried I'm going to get ppd. I'm prone to depression and I'm already starting to feel pretty down. I feel terrible because I haven't felt that connection with my baby yet. I feel like a terrible mom. Whenever she cries I don't feel the maternal instinct to go take care of her, I feel like I don't want to do it and it's just my job. We switched to formula because I couldn't take all the pressure to be the one responsible for feeding her. While that's helping me feel better, I haven't gotten a lot of support from my doctor or her pediatrician. Hopefully this all passes soon.

You're definitely not alone. I've been wondering if anyone else feels like they are about to have a nervous breakdown?! I keep thinking "what did I get myself into? I can't handle this." My baby has me up most of the night & when I do have a chance I'm still struggling to fall asleep. The lack of sleep, being a new mom & all that goes along with it is really making my anxiety skyrocket. I'm going into week 3 now and this is so hard! I'm trying to just take it moment by moment but still worry I'm doing something wrong. Pediatrician said my baby is a snacker. Basically on the boob, off the boob & only eating a bit each time. She told me to do the best I can & I'm now like "What does that mean exactly?" Also having a hard time getting baby to latch deeply. When I do she pulls back & my nipples are hurting. Guess I will call LC again.

Anyone else nervous to leave their home alone with baby? I'm terrified, haven't done it yet. Hopefully I will get over that sooner than later.

I have a history of pretty severe panic disorder & I'm afraid of having a relapse & not being able to take care of my baby.
  • Options
    HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited June 2015

hoodoll82 said:

First of all, I hope you have a smooth recovery from your procedure! That must've been so scary!

On the topic of food, my baby is 9 days old and is close to the eating habits of yours. She averages 2-3 hours between feedings and is also drinking about 2oz each time. We let her drink as much as she wants but that's about what she's usually interested in. What do you mean by "goes crazy"? Do you just mean that she drinks really fast? Because mine usually scarfs down her 2 oz in about 5-10 minutes haha. I think it's just because of being bottle fed. Hope this helps!
    By go crazy I mean she gets really fidgety, sucking on her fingers, and then when I go to give her the bottle she fights it until she figures out what it is and then scarfs it down in like 5-10 minutes. I try to get her to slow down and burp her after every 10 oz or so just so she doesn't overeat and spit up. It's definitely making it hard when I try to breastfeed since it's not fast enough for her! She lost over a pound of her birthweight by day 4 so she's making up for lost time I guess! (She's basically back at birthweight by day 10, which is great, so I can't complain).
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

hoodoll82 said:

By go crazy I mean she gets really fidgety, sucking on her fingers, and then when I go to give her the bottle she fights it until she figures out what it is and then scarfs it down in like 5-10 minutes. I try to get her to slow down and burp her after every 10 oz or so just so she doesn't overeat and spit up. It's definitely making it hard when I try to breastfeed since it's not fast enough for her! She lost over a pound of her birthweight by day 4 so she's making up for lost time I guess! (She's basically back at birthweight by day 10, which is great, so I can't complain).
    Ok, yeah, mine does that too! I think it's just their way of showing that they're hungry, and I think the fast eating is due to being bottle fed, since the flow of milk from the bottle is faster.

I've decided to take a break from trying to breastfeed. I got my new nipple shields yesterday but even with them nursing is very frustrating for both of us. It would be one thing if I could just sit and nurse with her all day but I have homework to keep up with and pumping just works better for us. My mom and MIL are both pushing me to keep trying with breastfeeding but DH and I both feel that right now it's not worth the stress. So for now I think we're going to exclusively pump!
  • Options
    ElRubyElRuby member
    First night at home reminded me of how hard the first night is. All she wants is to be held and sleep on my chest.... There was a few hours of sleep in the co sleeper early this morning so that felt amazing! The morning always brings hope fora Better day and night! Oh and thank god for lots of baby clothes.... We went through 4 outfits yesterday!

Also there was some blood in my milk (or minor cracks in nipples) so she spit some up... Minor freak out but I saw the blood from myself before she spit up and read that it is fine and it's important to treat the issue (basically more lansinoh).
  • Options
    Ugh she's been sleeping so great for the past week. And now starts fussing after an hour..not enough where she's awake but enough where it keeps her mama up all night. Boo:...
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @hoodoll82 glad you're OK!

@aliciac2008 Hugs >:D<
  • Options
    btm013btm013 member
    carapoli said:
    Are you guys swaddling at night? Our LO loves her hands so I was thinking of just going right to the sleep sack instead of swaddle but I have really intense anxiety about SIDS, not sure which is a better option! Anyway I hope everyone is having a wonderful day with your babies, looking forward to joining in the conversation!
    I've found the Summer Swaddles to be the best for nighttime. DS looks like a little hot dog and it's snug enough that it doesn't bunch or gather up top - leaving the nose and mouth open.
  • Options
    I'm glad that I'm not alone in my feelings. During the day it's so great. LO eats every 2-3 hours and sleeps the majority of the day. She's such a quiet sleeper too during the day time. Then when 9pm hits it's completely different. Last night she fed every hour! And it takes a good 45 minutes to feed and burp her so I'm don't even get to close my eyes again. We're breast feeding so it's just me taking care of her all night. Hubby is back to work so he's been sleeping in the bedroom and I've been sleeping on the couch with baby in her rock n play since she hates her bassinet. We only have a one bedroom duplex so the couch is really my only option. Hoping this all changes soon because I'm so exhausted. Plus it's hard for me to nap during the day, it's difficult to see a messy house without wanting to clean in and then all the people who want to stop by to see her too.
    I'm so nervous I'm going to develop some PPD. I feel ok now but if this continues idk how I'll be feeling.
  • Options

As PP have said it's totally normal. It's a big change and it is hard especially with so little sleep. The night is always hardest for me. That tends to be when LO cries non-stop for a few hours. At one point I asked DH if we made the right decision having a baby. Some nights I will sob when he cries non-stop and none of the typical strategies soothe him. I love LO but there are definitely times that I don't like motherhood. But eventually the night passes and when morning comes a new day starts. And I try and save all the cute moments up so I can remember them when I want to give up.

Is there anyone who can help you right now? I was stubborn at first about help, but having my MIL come over during the day was a sanity saver for me! I was able to rest and eat which helped me feel better so I could give LO what he needed. It was also helpful when my SIL came over and took me to the mall. It was good to get away for a few hours and feel human again!

And don't be afraid to let your doctor know how you feel so they can give you the support you need whether it is baby blues or PPD.

Don't beat yourself up about BFing. You are still giving your LO nutrition which is the most important thing. It doesn't matter whether it is from the boob or bottle.

Good luck! I'll think positive thoughts for you!

• Options
    btm013btm013 member

ciennah99 said:

Anyone else nervous to leave their home alone with baby? I'm terrified, haven't done it yet. Hopefully I will get over that sooner than later. I have a history of pretty severe panic disorder & I'm afraid of having a relapse & not being able to take care of my baby.
    Yes!! I am nervous. My DS has a pedi appointment today and I will be venturing out without my husband or mom. My mother offered to join us but I told her I needed to do this on my own. I'll let you know how it goes!!
  • Options

hoodoll82 said:

hoodoll82 said:

Ok, yeah, mine does that too! I think it's just their way of showing that they're hungry, and I think the fast eating is due to being bottle fed, since the flow of milk from the bottle is faster.

I've decided to take a break from trying to breastfeed. I got my new nipple shields yesterday but even with them nursing is very frustrating for both of us. It would be one thing if I could just sit and nurse with her all day but I have homework to keep up with and pumping just works better for us. My mom and MIL are both pushing me to keep trying with breastfeeding but DH and I both feel that right now it's not worth the stress. So for now I think we're going to exclusively pump!
    Same here I think. She will NOT tolerate the shield for more than 5 minutes and I need like 4 hands to do it. I can't see this working long term at like, a friends house or at the store.

Right now just really trying to get my supply up. Good luck @karaelaine1991 !
  • Options
    HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited June 2015
    CillyMama said:

@hoodoll82 Happy to hear you're doing well.

@aliciac2008 hugs to you girl. I hope you find the support you need soon.

Shit got real last night. Slept for a total of 2 hours last night. Baby boy is cluster feeding. Nursing and diaper changes almost every hour. DH has been doing the diaper changes. So we're both tired zombies. Then the toddler, who usually sleeps through the night, wakes up crying.

Oh and the spit up. So much spit up. Cluster feed, burp, spit up, pee/poop. Repeat.

I'm so tired. My tired is tired. (:|

ETA: because once I get the boys to sleep I can't. :(

I don't know why by LO does the same in the morning - from 5-9-ish she just wants frequent attention. We did move her to her own room last night - just across the hall and we can hear when she cries, but we are not waking up to every weird coo and jumping up to handle an issue that may resolve itself. It helped. It sucks that I miss her early feeding cues though.

We were starting to get a routine - feed, diaper, nap for 2 hours, repeat. But now sometimes she's just awake and fussy or alert. I don't know what to do with her yet since its new! Hold her? Try to play - whatever that means? She likes to look at lights outside so maybe park her in front of a window?
  • Options
    Today my lo is one week! Time is already flying. I felt great after having him but got a cyst on my lower back I went from feeling like I could run a marathon to barely able to walk or stand. I had to drain the cyst so now im stuck with an open wound in the lower back and stiches in my crotch! I had some help up until Tuesday my parents had to leave and husband travels for work. I must say I'm so grateful for a 5yo who is pretty independent and helps me out. She has been getting antsy to go to the park or swimming but I have to remind her that mommy is still healing. All I can say is I do not remember this much pain last time. Bf is going great as long as I use a shield. I was worried he wasn't getting enough but I figured if he wasn't he'd be crying all the time. It's a tough little road that we will get through. Keep up the good job mamas!
  • Options

Can I just say that I would not have made it this far without my dh. He is amazing he took baby last night at 2 so I would sleep until 8. So amazing. Bf sucks hard core, baby latches and re latches and latches and pushes away and relatches it's 30 minutes of this dumb dance, I've given up more than a few times and just pumped. Thank god for pumping. Luckily pumping is working great lo is finally eating a bunch and is pooping she went 2r hours without pooping and had mild jaundice so that was fun, but she is doing much better now and her numbers came down. The best news is we met with her pediatrician and she is in perfect health for being born 2 weeks early she is still a little effected by the magnesium from the hospital but the doc said it will wear off in 7 days. I must have pulled on one of my stitches though and now any kind of movement is shooting pain.. I'm just ready to be all healed up so I can take lo for dh to get some rest too.

Anyone else falling more madly in love with their dhs through all this?

I really want to start pumping. BF is getting really hard and im going to have to start soon anyways with going back to work and school but have no idea how or where start
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the support ladies. It is amazing to know I'm not alone. That's what's so great about this board: all the support. I have a great support system at home. My husband is completely supportive of my decision and my parents are too. Both sets of grandparents live less than a mile away and have been super helpful. You guys are right though, day time is definitely better than night. I feel so much better than last night. Still not great though, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

LO slept for a total of 2 hours last night. I think she's having stomach problems since she hasn't pooped in a while and I'm hearing all kinds of noises from her stomach. I think that's what kept her up all night.

We are feeding her 1 ounce every 2-3 hours, but sometimes she wants it sooner and we give it to her. She's 4 days old.

• Options

Thank you so much for the support ladies. It is amazing to know I'm not alone. That's what's so great about this board: all the support. I have a great support system at home. My husband is completely supportive of my decision and my parents are too. Both sets of grandparents live less than a mile away and have been super helpful. You guys are right though, day time is definitely better than night. I feel so much better than last night. Still not great though, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

LO slept for a total of 2 hours last night. I think she's having stomach problems since she hasn't pooped in a while and I'm hearing all kinds of noises from her stomach. I think that's what kept her up all night.

We are feeding her 1 ounce every 2-3 hours, but sometimes she wants it sooner and we give it to her. She's 4 days old.

Mine didn't poop for 24 hours at 4 days old doc said this was normal and not to worry she said you can put some vasaline around her butt hole to help stimulate it, once we did that she pooped a lot. She had lots of wet diapers but no poops.

• Options

Hi ladies! Baby born Saturday, just came home yesterday afternoon, and my mom arrived today.

Upside: DH is being amazing, my mom brought nursing tanks so I can finally get dressed, and LO seems to enjoy being home because he is SO chill! Definitely falling more in love with DH and DS by the minute.

Downside: Breastfeeding is hard. My milk is sufficient and DS is nursing often and diapers are good. We are working on proper latch and I have a lactation consultant appointment tomorrow.
    I am also still really sore in my Virginia. I have some pretty serious bruises but only a very small tear on my inner vagina with stitches. I am in much more pain than I was during pregnancy overall, though my uterine contractions are fierce so my stomach is shrinking fast. But it HURTS!

Biggest concern right now is bleeding nipples and large duct lumps by both armpits. Hopefully the appointment tomorrow resolves this. And I need to pick up some acetaminophen, to resolve my Virginia bits.

Good luck, ladies! It is way harder to check in here than I thought it would be, but hope to "see" you soon. Xo

In regards to the lumps - try massaging them while nursing/pumping! I've found this to be helpful :)
  • Options

Hi ladies! Baby born Saturday, just came home yesterday afternoon, and my mom arrived today.

Upside: DH is being amazing, my mom brought nursing tanks so I can finally get dressed, and LO seems to enjoy being home because he is SO chill! Definitely falling more in love with DH and DS by the minute.

Downside: Breastfeeding is hard. My milk is sufficient and DS is nursing often and diapers are good. We are working on proper latch and I have a lactation consultant appointment tomorrow.
    I am also still really sore in my Virginia. I have some pretty serious bruises but only a very small tear on my inner vagina with stitches. I am in much more pain than I was during pregnancy overall, though my uterine contractions are fierce so my stomach is shrinking fast. But it HURTS!

Biggest concern right now is bleeding nipples and large duct lumps by both armpits. Hopefully the appointment tomorrow resolves this. And I need to pick up some acetaminophen, to resolve my Virginia bits.

Good luck, ladies! It is way harder to check in here than I thought it would be, but hope to "see" you soon. Xo

I don't know if you'll have time to check back in but I get those lumps all the time. Its stressful trying to clear them before they cause a problem. Disregard all of this if LC gives you better advice but what I was taught and what works for me is applying a hot compress for 5 minutes (I microwave a wet washcloth), then nurse baby leaning forward and gently rubbing the lump towards the nipple. If you can point the babies chin toward the lump it helps. So for near the armpit use the football hold so your babies chin in pushing right into the lump.

Good luck, make sure nothing is binding or putting pressure on it. Bras or how you are lying down. I keep getting these from letting LO fall asleep on me in the middle of the night .
  • Options
    @henrytviii THIS!! I was getting them around the lines of the nursing tanks I was wearing, they were too tight. I massage to high heaven all day long I feel like I'm going to be in public just massaging without noticing..
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    How do you all have babies that sleep so much at night!? I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. :(

• Options
    @aliciac2008 my DD is 5 weeks old today, and some nights I only get 3 hours of sleep between feeding her, pumping, and keeping the paci in her mouth. Other nights I get 9 hours in three 3 hour stretches - just depends on little miss's schedule.
  • Options
    seeseaseesea member

How do you all have babies that sleep so much at night!? I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. :(

I know! I was thinking the same thing!

I take Lecithin supplements for lumps (plugged ducts) because I'm prone to getting them. An LC suggested them to me and it helps a lot! Along with heat and massaging.

Get rid of those lumps ASAP. You don't want to end up with mastitis.