July 2015 Moms
Options

MIL annoys me lol

MIL has been asking for a grandbaby for about 2 years. I knew she'll be one of the happiest person in the world once she found out. Anyways lately she's been doing and saying a few things that's been annoying me. One day she called me to ask me how many u/s Ive had because she saw on TV so many is bad for the baby (like if I'm burning him up) recently actually Mother's Day we picked her up and as I'm drinking water, I hear her tell her older grandson "look the baby is drinking water..." :-/ later that day we ate dinner and she asked me why didn't I get Mac & Cheese, I said because I dont like it, and she says " how do you know the baby don't like it, don't do him like that" you should have seen my face lol I said " he'll be able to taste it once he's here" :))

Anyone else have a MIL like mine lol

Re: MIL annoys me lol

• Options
    Mines not that annoying as far as what I'm eating or drinking. I think she knows better then to go there with me. But she will be annoying in other ways. In the end my MIL has good intentions and she loves us so I tolerate the annoying times.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lol @ the Mac n cheese lol
  • Options
    sshhhsshhh member
    My mil annoys me by her stupid advises which no one can buy even for free , I feel to kill her at times but husbands mother alas
  • Options
    I see a lot of people complaining about their mils(not just on this board) and just wondering is it really that bad?! My husbands mom died a year before we started dating so I have experience with this.
  • Options
    I love my mil to be, she really is quite wonderful. This will only be her second grand baby and she's pretty excited.
  • Options
    Glad you got a good one! I hear mine would have been great. Kind of sucks not having one
  • Options
    She's slightly nuts so I think that helps haha and the bloke is just like her and I totes love him :)
  • Options
    Haha! At least she's nuts in a good way!!
  • Options
    Yeah their is that =)) Sil that's something different all together -.-
  • Options
    It must be a sibling in law thing cause my bil is annoying as hell! I cannot stand him half the time!
  • Options
    AR25AR25 member
    It could be your hormones, my dog drives me crazy lol. But my MIL is no peach. She has no respect for how we want to raise our daughter and constantly tries to "out do" us when it comes to gifts and things. She acts like she is the mother of our child. Unfortunately there is no talking to her about feelings or boundaries because she does what she wants anyways. When I was in labor with our first we told her we just wanted daddy in the room. She barged in a total of 6 times, even after my hubby told her we would come get her as soon as we were settled. This baby is coming soon and I'm worried it will happen again. Although, I think I might not be so nice this time. She is so selfish and does not respect us. It is difficult to look ahead for years of this with no communication. Personally, I'd rather have your issue than ours. If you can communicate with her, keep it up!! It will help with boundaries for the future, and definitely pick your battles.
  • Options
    I think it's just your hormones. Your MIL is not bad at all. An occasional odd comment about the baby? Not really a big issue, and honestly it sounds like she's just excited to be able to talk about the baby with you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think I would rather have this than my MIL who has not given one shit about our pregnancy from the beginning. Literally does not ask me or DH about anything. It is sad I wish she was more involved. I use to send her pics of our DS because they live 2 hrs away so we don't see them as much as we would like and when I would send her pics of him she would comment on something in the background. Like a pic of him on the swing hanging upside down she comments on the damn tree in the background. I've stopped sending her pics. I find it is her loss.
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    Mine is worse in an overbearing, trying to take over way. She constantly tells me how I should do things with DS1 and what I should do when DS2 gets here. We are also going through some medical issues with DH right now and she's acting like he's going to die, I don't know what I'm doing as his wife, and that I can't take care of him. She craves attention and drama, is very self centered, and cannot cut the cord when it comes to her sons who are ages 38, 32, and almost 30.

She even told my SIL when she was pregnant that maybe her next one will be a boy when we found out it was a girl. She's got some serious issues, not just annoying.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    Mine drives me nuts too. She smoked weed while she was pregnant with each of her kids. Any of her advice is null & void.
  • Options
    zmombiezmombie member
    I don't mean to laugh at this but wow!! She sounds like my grandmother. She does annoying stuff like that too. Like giving my 3 month old chocolate pudding... I was so pissed! She said oh she likes it, let her enjoy life... She don't live in the same state as me and she don't come down a whole lot.. So I just don't have to deal with it too much. But she loves to lecture.

All I can say is good luck.
  • Options
    I love my MIL but she recently said in response to DH saying that it isn't recommended that you eat fish from the West Coast because of radiation that you need to "raise the vibrations of the fish and your body to overcome the negative effects"......She is pretty new agey.  I really do love her and think she is great but we walked out of the restaurant and I was like, "Honey, you're amazing but my confidence in you raising your vibrations is pretty low so please just skip the fish."  Hahaha. 
  • Options
    I love My MIL but just a few things she says lol we had sent her a pic of the 3d/4d and a few days later she told DH "the more I see the picture the more i see he looks like me" :)) omg lol
  • Options
    Lol I feel you. Mine bought our little boy a little girl onsie.... I mean... It's got flowers on it dang it!
  • Options
    Probably not what you want to hear, but your MIL makes me laugh. Is she always this silly? She sounds funny and like she is well intentioned (but misplaced probably). The mac and cheese comment got me though :) I'm picturing her almost as a caricature of a MIL from a comedy.
  • Options
    AR25 said:

It could be your hormones, my dog drives me crazy lol.

My hubby's dog irritates me to no end cause of hormones.. the hubs thinks it's hilarious that the other day I told him his dog was pissing me off, he asked why I said his sheer presence. I am seriously nesting already trying to keep everything immaculate and the dog sheds and drools all over the carpet it drives me crazy.

My mil isn't too bad. I am annoyed that when she said she was excited to buy clothes I explained nicely that we don't need any because my mom & I have already bought a years worth of clothes. (This is my mil's 5th granddaughter so it's not like she's missing out really). Then I guess when my mil was talking to my mom she said she was going to buy the baby clothes and my mom again explained this kid is more than set on a wardrobe but my mil insists on buying clothes. My hubs is on board that if she does buy clothes I'm returning them because this child has a huge wardrobe already and I would rather see my baby in what I picked out (especially when this is probably going to be our only child). I appreciate she wants to be involved but it frustrates me that she doesn't care what I've nicely explained especially when I'm not trying to be a brat. (This is my first baby and my mom's first grandchild we went a little above & beyond on shopping for her).

• Options
    @babymorgan72015 my MIL didn't ask what we wanted/needed she just bought whatever.

I've given away everything she's ever gotten me as a gift cause she buys whatever SHE likes for you.
    I despise animal print anything and she got me this gawdy zebra print bag for my birthday. I donated it to the street corner.

So I was terrified when she bought clothes for my son. I probably won't be dressing him in anything she bought but I'll keep it for her visits.

My mom knows I have very particular taste so she would text me pictures of baby clothes asking if I liked them before she bought anything.
  • Options
    AR25AR25 member

AR25 said:

My hubby's dog irritates me to no end cause of hormones.. the hubs thinks it's hilarious that the other day I told him his dog was pissing me off, he asked why I said his sheer presence. I am seriously nesting already trying to keep everything immaculate and the dog sheds and drools all over the carpet it drives me crazy.

My mil isn't too bad. I am annoyed that when she said she was excited to buy clothes I explained nicely that we don't need any because my mom & I have already bought a years worth of clothes. (This is my mil's 5th granddaughter so it's not like she's missing out really). Then I guess when my mil was talking to my mom she said she was going to buy the baby clothes and my mom again explained this kid is more than set on a wardrobe but my mil insists on buying clothes. My hubs is on board that if she does buy clothes I'm returning them because this child has a huge wardrobe already and I would rather see my baby in what I picked out (especially when this is probably going to be our only child). I appreciate she wants to be involved but it frustrates me that she doesn't care what I've nicely explained especially when I'm not trying to be a brat. (This is my first baby and my mom's first grandchild we went a little above & beyond on shopping for her).

Glad to hear I'm not alone with the dang dog issue! Or the "do what they want" MIL. It's so much easier to deal with all of it when hubby has your back! Congrats on your first baby girl coming!

• Options
    There is a reason I enjoy living 4,000+ miles away from my MIL
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    My mil feels as though she has done enough by buying a crib for us nothing to go with it no mattress sheets nothing just the crib So now she has this sense of intitlement to the baby but never calls to see how things are.
  • Options
    DrHollyDrHolly member
    my mil is great she knits and sews unlike my mum, so we get frequent parcels with cardigans, hats, woollies and blankets. I could open up a home daycare the number of flannelette bunny rugs we have! I haven't asked for any of it, I just enjoy the surprise of opening the next parcel and hope it's not something we or my mum have already bought for baby.
  • Options
    AR25 said:

It could be your hormones, my dog drives me crazy lol. But my MIL is no peach. She has no respect for how we want to raise our daughter and constantly tries to "out do" us when it comes to gifts and things. She acts like she is the mother of our child. Unfortunately there is no talking to her about feelings or boundaries because she does what she wants anyways. When I was in labor with our first we told her we just wanted daddy in the room. She barged in a total of 6 times, even after my hubby told her we would come get her as soon as we were settled. This baby is coming soon and I'm worried it will happen again. Although, I think I might not be so nice this time. She is so selfish and does not respect us. It is difficult to look ahead for years of this with no communication. Personally, I'd rather have your issue than ours. If you can communicate with her, keep it up!! It will help with boundaries for the future, and definitely pick your battles.

@ar25 Wowww! Maybe you guys shouldn't call her until after delivering the baby??

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    You should see my mil face when she gives me these comments, like she's dead serious lol :))
  • Options
    chaffeebabychaffeebaby member
    edited May 2015
    My MIL tried to tell me she doesn't believe babies should sleep on the backs because "her boys slept on their stomachs and they all lived so the back sleeping is just a fad". She also bad mouthed a few choices my husband and I have already made to the rest of the family on mothers day, claiming that I was pushing husband and if it came down to a fight, which it will eventually, she is on his side no matter what. She also is refusing to help my SIL plan the shower because SIL is having it at her house rather than MILs tiny apartment. If things aren't her way, she wants no part of it. My sweet husband has already given me permission to put her in her place when the time comes. And he already has many, many times yet issues come up every day. Thank goodness we are 700 miles away!!
  • Options
    audi681audi681 member
    edited May 2015
    Karma checking myself.
  • Options
    My MIL has been pretty low key up to this point until my baby shower this past Saturday. She started telling everyone that the car seats we chose, after much research and consideration, were ridiculous because of the cost and that she feels we should reconsider because they will only be used for less than a year. I told her we researched infant seats and compared what we felt were the most important factors for us and we have chosen the peg perego primo viaggio infant carriers for our twins. We never asked her to purchase them for us so I don't know what her problem is. Then yesterday she came along with my mother and I to my 3d ultrasound, and while there she told me she was glad we were having boys because my name choice for a girl, which was Charlotte, was one she didn't like. She said the only person she knew by that name was crazy. Well, her name is Barbra, so I told her oh yeah the only other person named Barbra I have ever met was crazy as a loon so there's no telling on names. Makes me glad we haven't told her the names we've picked for our boys!
  • Options
    zmombiezmombie member
    Omg I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes dogs when I'm pregnant! Of course I won't abuse them or neglect them.. But it's like "go away!!" I hate folding laundry, to have a dog come galloping in and knock them everywhere. It's hard enough to bed over... Or get in the trash all the time.. Or shit on the floor! I can't stand untrained dogs period.. But when I'm pregnant.. Drives me insane. My ex room mate had a nearly 200 pound rotti who would run into your legs. Sit on you on the couch, whenever anyone would be eating she would put her face on the table next to your plate... I dunno.. I still liked her tho. But I def wouldn't let her bug me while I was eating . Anyways, I'm staying with my mom, who has 3 dogs, and my brothers each have a dog.. The puppy is the most trained out of them all! She's a puppy, so she can be a pest.. But I like her. Just don't always like watching her. Lol.
  • Options
    I seem to love her more. I almost cry when I have to leave her even if it's just to go outside for a few minutes. I want her to be a part of everything I we do "/
  • Options

I love My MIL but just a few things she says lol we had sent her a pic of the 3d/4d and a few days later she told DH "the more I see the picture the more i see he looks like me" :)) omg lol

This! Omg, my MIL said the exact same thing after my 3d! And for the past few weeks since, it has been non-stop that my baby looks like his father and her and their whole freakin family! His grandma (on his dad's side) just said too that 3rd generations usually end up looking like each other so she's going to bring his grandpa's pics next time they visit....I haven't said one word, but I'll LMAO if he ends up looking like me or my family when he's born ;-) I just start to wonder - so am I here just to carry your grandson, like do I mean anything at all to you!? What about my family?! 
    Lol, it honestly doesn't bother me if he turns out looking like his father, that's great, but is there anything else we can chat about for a whole week?!
  • Options
    I actually enjoy reading these.  My MIL is awesome, but my mother is acting like a raging bitch towards me ever since announcing my pregnancy.  AKA telling me I'm a fat ass every time she see's me, even though I'm 32 weeks, I've only gained 20 lbs so far.  Also she's refusing to come to my baby shower bc she doesn't feel I deserve one, even though my MIL was nice enough to throw me a small one.  
    With my mother I sometimes feel it's jealousy or maybe even spite, mainly because I'm constantly getting the "I didn't do this when I was pregnant with you 30 years ago...bla bla bla...".  I"m slowly trying to pull away from her. I dont need all that negativity in my life right now.  
  • Options
    mrsb30mrsb30 member
    edited May 2015

My mil feels as though she has done enough by buying a crib for us nothing to go with it no mattress sheets nothing just the crib So now she has this sense of intitlement to the baby but never calls to see how things are.

I'm sorry she never calls to see how things are...but buying your crib was really nice of her. I'm not sure why she would need to buy more to go with it? I'm not meaning to sound judgemental, just curious. My mom bought our crib, which was a huge blessing. I'm not upset she didn't buy the matress and sheets. Cribs are expensive and I was fully expecting to be buying it ourselves.

Edit for typo
  • Options
    mrsb30mrsb30 member

AR25 said:

</blockquote

What's the harm in letting her buy a couple outfits? I think it's normal for grandparents to want to buy something cute for their grandchild.

• Options
    mrsb30 said:

I'm sorry she never calls to see how things are...but buying your crib was really nice of her. I'm not sure why she would need to buy more to go with it? I'm not meaning to sound judgemental, just curious. My mom bought our crib, which was a huge blessing. I'm not upset she didn't buy the matress and sheets. Cribs are expensive and I was fully expecting to be buying it ourselves.

Edit for typo
    Oh I am grateful she did. And no you're right she doesn't have to buy the rest of the stuff. It's the way she's going about it. Acting as though we asked her to buy it for us. it's more or less she how she has been acting. It's supposed to be her my mom and stepmother doing the baby shower but she's not contributing because she bought it.