July 2015 Moms
Options

MIL annoys me lol

2»

Re: MIL annoys me lol

• Options
    mrsb30mrsb30 member

mrsb30 said:

My mil feels as though she has done enough by buying a crib for us nothing to go with it no mattress sheets nothing just the crib So now she has this sense of intitlement to the baby but never calls to see how things are.

I'm sorry she never calls to see how things are...but buying your crib was really nice of her. I'm not sure why she would need to buy more to go with it? I'm not meaning to sound judgemental, just curious. My mom bought our crib, which was a huge blessing. I'm not upset she didn't buy the matress and sheets. Cribs are expensive and I was fully expecting to be buying it ourselves.

Edit for typo
    Oh I am grateful she did. And no you're right she doesn't have to buy the rest of the stuff. It's the way she's going about it. Acting as though we asked her to buy it for us. it's more or less she how she has been acting. It's supposed to be her my mom and stepmother doing the baby shower but she's not contributing because she bought it.
    I gotcha, sorry she's acting that way.
  • Options
    We've gotten used to it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mrsb30 said:

What's the harm in letting her buy a couple outfits? I think it's normal for grandparents to want to buy something cute for their grandchild.

I've seen what she bought for my sil's daughter, we have very different taste. I bought a years worth of clothes for baby girl with my mom because I don't want anyone buying clothes for her. 1. I'm not into that normal fru fru stuff a lot of people buy for girls. Hubby is fine to return the clothes his mom buys or take them to goodwill if we can't return. I don't want people wasting their money on what the baby doesn't need and on what won't get used. 2. I'm finally having a baby after worrying for years that this moment would never come (1st pregnancy was a mc & I had a cervical cancer scare a year ago). So it is supremely important to me to get to so this sort of stuff for my daughter.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    @vineheart137 I appreciate your opinion. Going shopping with the mil is a moot point at this time since baby girl has a full wardrobe for the next year but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

• Options
    Mine is always telling me I look tired which is probably true but not what I need to hear! It was even the first thing she said to me on my wedding day in April!
  • Options
    mrsb30mrsb30 member

mrsb30 said:

What's the harm in letting her buy a couple outfits? I think it's normal for grandparents to want to buy something cute for their grandchild.

I've seen what she bought for my sil's daughter, we have very different taste. I bought a years worth of clothes for baby girl with my mom because I don't want anyone buying clothes for her. 1. I'm not into that normal fru fru stuff a lot of people buy for girls. Hubby is fine to return the clothes his mom buys or take them to goodwill if we can't return. I don't want people wasting their money on what the baby doesn't need and on what won't get used. 2. I'm finally having a baby after worrying for years that this moment would never come (1st pregnancy was a mc & I had a cervical cancer scare a year ago). So it is supremely important to me to get to so this sort of stuff for my daughter.

Maybe you can take your MIL on a trip to pick out something for baby together? That could be a nice compromise and you'll be able to give her an idea of your tastes. I do think it's a little unfair that your mom got to have a say in baby's entire wardrobe but MIL can't even pick out one outfit for her grandkid. Her buying her granddaughter an outfit or two isn't really taking away from your experience of buying clothes and whatever else for your daughter.
    I think this is a great idea! Your MIL probably feels a little left out since you and your mom bought all the clothes. You say you have the whole wardrobe for the first year. What's the harm in going shopping together for an outfit and putting it on the baby when you see her, I'm sure it would make her happy and isn't going to take away from the rest of her wardrobe. Also are you having a baby shower? If so be prepared to get tons of clothes, people love buying baby girls clothes.
  • Options
    beeishbeeish member
    edited May 2015
    I agree with @vineheart137. I honestly let my MIL buy whatever she wants for LO even though I have TONs of clothes for her already. She knows I have a full closet and chest full of clothes but she still wants to buy her stuff. To me I've already told her LO is set so if she continues to buy its her choice. I appreciate everything she buys regardless if I like it or not and will dress LO in it. LO is only little for so long. I've never returned a gift just because I didn't like it. Others have gone out of their way and done something special that they didn't have to the least I can do is be appreciative.
  • Options
    @mrsb30 we have our shower tmr hubby and I are in agreement any clothes we get are being returned or taken to goodwill if we can't return.
  • Options

@mrsb30 we have our shower tmr hubby and I are in agreement any clothes we get are being returned or taken to goodwill if we can't return.

Did you tell your guests you don't want clothes? Because at my shower, I didn't register for any clothes and we still got tons. I know I would feel pretty bad if I spent time and money picking out what I thought was a cute outfit for your LO only to find out it was donated to charity the next day. Like PP said, people love buying little girl clothes!

I also agree with @MrsJIsbell , it sounds like your MIL might be feeling left out. Maybe instead of reminding her what she can't get for baby, come up with some other way she can contribute?
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mrsb30mrsb30 member

Did you tell your guests you don't want clothes? Because at my shower, I didn't register for any clothes and we still got tons. I know I would feel pretty bad if I spent time and money picking out what I thought was a cute outfit for your LO only to find out it was donated to charity the next day. Like PP said, people love buying little girl clothes!

I also agree with @MrsJIsbell , it sounds like your MIL might be feeling left out. Maybe instead of reminding her what she can't get for baby, come up with some other way she can contribute?

This is the same as us. We didn't register for any clothes and got mostly clothes at our shower.
  • Options
    Babies go through clothes like crazy! BUT it's always nice to have them :) we have a 3 year old niece and we pretty much go 3 years worth of clothes :) we didn't register for any clothes either and got tons! But it's ok, if you are worried about having too many clothes or clothes you don't want you shouldn't be :) you can regift, use some of them for play clothes or backups or just return them. I agree with the above comments :)