November 2015 Moms

Heartbeat, chances of miscarriage drop?

Is it true? I saw the little flicker on the screen at 9 weeks :-) did my chances of miscarriage drop? U/s technician said it's not true ! :-/ I'm too impatient to wait for 12 weeks argh..

Re: Heartbeat, chances of miscarriage drop?

• My dr told me that once you see the heartbeat chances of a miscarriage drop to 5%.
  • Thanks! Makes me feel a little better
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes my dr said that the rate drops to 5% once heart beat is seen. I don't know that the ultrasound tech is qualified to give advice on that one way or the other. I would ask your doctor if you're concerned about it :)
  • I'm a doctor - 5% is accurate after a 7-8 week ultrasound with heart beat. Congrats!
  • When is 0% ?
  • When is 0% ?

When they are born unfortunately. There are sadly no guarantees during pregnancy. That's why they want you to perform kick counts everyday when you can feel movement.
  • hacharleshacharles member
    edited April 2015

I actually heard that it drops to only 25% after you hear a good heart rate before 12 weeks. After 12 weeks then it drops to 1% if everything is still looking good.

At least that's what my doc told me. ETA: always possible that I misunderstood

• The chance of miscarriage drops every day but after 8 weeks if a HEALTHY heartbeat is seen the chance of miscarriage drops to just under 5%. Those words were spoken to me by my RE in person and in an email I still have. He's been quoted on various articles on his website as well. Of course someone still has to fall in that 5%. I've been one of them. If you don't see a strong heartbeat then of course your odds are higher than 5%. And if you see a healthy heartbeat at 6 weeks you're still in a fairly high miscarriage category. Most pregnancies end early if they're going to end.

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]