January 2015 Moms
Options

Any interest in a BF check in?

Re: Any interest in a BF check in?

• Options
    mshepherd20mshepherd20 member
    edited January 2015
    This is baby #3 and I still get so anxious nursing in public! I went out to breakfast with my family yesterday (11 adults plus some kiddos) and of course Lillian had to eat too. With the colder weather I didn't want to go out to the car so I went to the bathroom. Of course they only had a bathroom with one stall so it was hard to nurse when people were jiggling the door handle. I finally went back to my seat and nursed her at the table with her blanket up so it looked like I was cuddling a sleeping baby.

I wish nursing wasn't so "side-eyed" in today's society. I'm more reserved as it is but I hate the added worry about offending others around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @AmyG

We had another LC appointment today and she is just shy of her birth weight and right on track with breastfeeding + giving her 40ml of pumped breastmilk with each feed.  I've tried feeding her sooner than 3 hours and she is just too tired, even with 3 hours, we wake her for every single feed and it is a chore to get her to eat from the breast/take the bottle (this alone can take up to an hour).  The LC suggested we let her go ad lib tonight and maybe if she gets a longer stretch at night, she'll be more awake/hungrier during the day.  So we are going to try that out.  I'll have to look into the supplemental feeding system.  Do you have one you recommend?

Me:
    30, DH: 32
    My hx:  uterus/hormones normal Dx: low AMH 0.5 = poor ovarian reserve
    hubby hx: low sperm count, poor motility, started on clomid, retest in May showed no improvement, will be on clomid another 3 months, another retest scheduled for August

Started IVF #1:  ~BFP Mentioned~
    • ER (Thursday April 17th, 3 precious eggs).
    • April 18th: Received news 2 out of 3 eggs fertilized!
    •  Planned 3dt: Easter day, transferred two 8B embryos and received pictures :)
    • BFP starting 8dp3dt 5/1 Beta #1: 87, 5/3 Beta #2 206 
    • 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• Options
    That article made me bawl!! So touching and just what we all need to hear..... Amazing!
  • Options

This is baby #3 and I still get so anxious nursing in public! I went out to breakfast with my family yesterday (11 adults plus some kiddos) and of course Lillian had to eat too. With the colder weather I didn't want to go out to the car so I went to the bathroom. Of course they only had a bathroom with one stall so it was hard to nurse when people were jiggling the door handle. I finally went back to my seat and nursed her at the table with her blanket up so it looked like I was cuddling a sleeping baby.

I wish nursing wasn't so "side-eyed" in today's society. I'm more reserved as it is but I hate the added worry about offending others around.

Do you nurse with both hands? I'm scared to nurse in public too because I obviously need one hand to hold him then the other to hold my huge boobs out of his nose. It would look awkward for me :(
    I don't have to nurse with both hands. My extremely tiny ta-tas make it a little easier for me I guess. One of the only perks to having small boobs!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

https://theleakyboob.com/2011/08/baby-explains-normal-newborn-behavior/

I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry reading this... But it was just the push I needed to make it through these cluster feeds without giving up!

This article was amazing! I loved the part when it says how much the baby needs us because we are all that they know right now! I read it as I was nursing and all I could do was look down at my beautiful baby girl and smile.
  • Options

So my baby was born at 8.3 lbs, 3.5 weeks early. He will be 6 weeks on Friday. I feed on demand always and every 2-3 hours if he isn't awake. I took him to the doctor maybe 2 weeks ago when he was 4 weeks and he weighed 10.4 lbs and the doctor said I needed to not feed as much. But he's a newborn, that's hard! So I weighed baby on my scale today, two weeks from my appointment last time and it said he's 12 lbs, give or take a few ounces. Should I be worried about obesity or should I not feed as much? It's just hard cause he's a newborn still and I'm told to feed on demand. AmyG, any input?

uh. I would feed my baby, regardless of what a Dr. Says. If he's not hungry. . He won't eat. I wouldn't be worried about him gaining weight, that's a good thing! I also wouldn't be worried about obesity this young.

I was told to supplement with formula because my baby 'wasn't gaining enough weight. ' he was gaining, but not at the pace they wanted him to. I didn't supplement, I EBF, and he grew just fine. He's just a little guy. I think genetics play a big part in how our kids grow.
    I would rather get input from a LC in this area, vs a pedi to be honest.

• Options

So my baby was born at 8.3 lbs, 3.5 weeks early. He will be 6 weeks on Friday. I feed on demand always and every 2-3 hours if he isn't awake. I took him to the doctor maybe 2 weeks ago when he was 4 weeks and he weighed 10.4 lbs and the doctor said I needed to not feed as much. But he's a newborn, that's hard! So I weighed baby on my scale today, two weeks from my appointment last time and it said he's 12 lbs, give or take a few ounces. Should I be worried about obesity or should I not feed as much? It's just hard cause he's a newborn still and I'm told to feed on demand. AmyG, any input?

@VioletGjoni‌ Violet, here is a great article about breastfed babies gaining weight too fast.

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-toomuch/
  • Options
    @papapalie‌ My nipples were completely destroyed. I tried Lansinoh lanolin and the comfort gel pads and they gave me some relief but bf'ing still caused me excruciating pain -sometimes to the point of making me want to throw up. My midwives prescribed Jack Newman's all purpose nipple ointment. This stuff is liquid gold, it healed them in about a day and provided complete relief. I now look forward to having my boobs drained :-)
  • Options
    papapalie said:

ncampese said:

@papapalie‌ My nipples were completely destroyed. I tried Lansinoh lanolin and the comfort gel pads and they gave me some relief but bf'ing still caused me excruciating pain -sometimes to the point of making me want to throw up. My midwives prescribed Jack Newman's all purpose nipple ointment. This stuff is liquid gold, it healed them in about a day and provided complete relief. I now look forward to having my boobs drained :-)

I think I need some of that then. Before today he was spending sometimes 3 hours sucking and draining me. The growth spurt killed my nipples. Thank you!
    It's a compound prescription. Ask your OB/gyn and he/she should gladly call in a prescription for you! It is wonderful stuff!
  • Options
    @ncampese‌ glad it helped so much!

@bwall84 that's great! Hope it keeps up.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Options

Awesome! Thanks, guys!! That article made me feel better. I'm not sure why my pedi would say to space out feedings.

I'm not sure why they would either. You probably don't need to wake him up to feed anymore, but definitely feed on demand. Some kids just grow faster than others and there's definitely no need to worry about obesity yet.

S has a weight check on Friday. I hope he passes, he's been feeding a lot today.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, this thread is so helpful - it's great to hear about your experiences.

for my part, feeding was painful, but I had an LC come over when LO was four days old and within 24 hours of her visit my cracked nipples were completely healed and feeding was actually comfortable. I couldn't believe it - LC's are not cheap but for me it was so worth it, as she really helped fix our latch and reassured me he was getting enough.

Another great resource if you ladies are interested - the book breastfeeding made simple. Easy read and great info.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mego04Mego04 member
    edited January 2015
    I'm pumping and feeding...but hope I can still participate. I have a clogged duct in my right breast. I've tried massage, heating pad, hot shower, extra pumping still no dice. Its not super painful, yet.

try different positions, football hold, side lying

eta reading fail...

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Poor man has terrible gas! He has had it for about 2 days, gripe water isn't helping much. How far back should I look into my diet to see what might be causing it?
  • Options
    @ljordan722. My little man is very gassy too! I was wondering the exact same thing. He draws his knees up and is very uncomfortable.... I'm wondering what I ate that could have caused this.
  • Options
    I am considering going out tonight with the girls. I need a night out but Lillian has never taken a bottle and she's still cluster feeding at night. I'm also slightly nervous to leave my husband alone with all 3, especially at bedtime...

Those of you who EBF, did your baby have a hard time taking a bottle at first?
  • Options
    4littlebears4littlebears member
    edited January 2015

I am considering going out tonight with the girls. I need a night out but Lillian has never taken a bottle and she's still cluster feeding at night. I'm also slightly nervous to leave my husband alone with all 3, especially at bedtime...

I guess it depends on where you're going, but I used to sometimes bring baby with me while I was out

ETA, S took a bottle just fine at church in Sunday. It was cold breast milk too
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I guess it depends on where you're going, but I used to sometimes bring baby with me while I was out

ETA, S took a bottle just fine at church in Sunday. It was cold breast milk too
    I have all of the above bottle types (plus Tommie tippie) from when my other two were young. I'll leave my husband a few different to try. I'd normally take her with me and nurse as needed but I'm thinking that the wine will be flowing tonight and I'd rather not drink a glass (or two) and then drive with her in the car.

Thanks ladies! In the past we've given the other two their first bottle when I was home.
  • Options
    @heidih21‌ it sounds like your baby might not be getting enough of the fatty hind milk....green and runny is not a good sign, you might want to consider calling your pedi and perhaps a lactation consultant.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Had a bit of pink spit up tonight, any one else? She might be getting some blood from my nipples, they are really sore but I don't see any cracks.
  • Options
    TMast21 said:

Had a bit of pink spit up tonight, any one else? She might be getting some blood from my nipples, they are really sore but I don't see any cracks.

If you gave cracks then I'd assume that the blood in her spit up was from you. I have this happen a few times and as scary as it seems, it is not harmful to your baby.
  • Options
    I'm having similar problems. Baby boy latches great but at night he cluster feeds forEVER! I do 20min each side twice in a row...and in so sore afterwards too! We have been supplementing 1oz of formula at night around 12:30/1am and he usually goes to sleep around 2. After the formula he sleeps for like 4-6hours! I feel like we are cheating but honestly, we didn't know what else to do. I have (and still do) felt like a failure too and that I cannot produce what he needs. I have cried to my husband about it and he just reassures me that we are doing everything we can for him and if this is what he needs then this is what we need to do for him.
  • Options

TMast21 said:

If you gave cracks then I'd assume that the blood in her spit up was from you. I have this happen a few times and as scary as it seems, it is not harmful to your baby.
    Ah yes I have some raw spots that might be it. I also just remembered that I gave her the vitamin D supplement before that feeding some that might have contribute to the color as well. Good to know it's not a problem, I do need to stay on top of her latch, sometimes she gets a shallow one and I just deal with it.
  • Options
    This was a great idea. I just had my Little one yesterday and so far breastfeeding has been rough. He fed for 10 mins the first time at 8pm. Then I couldn't get him to stay awake long enough to even try to latch until 4:30am and he ate for 15 mins. Then I attempted MANY times to get him to latch and he would open his mouth perfectly but then just sit there and look at me and wouldn't suck so he didn't eat again until 3:30pm and it was only for 5 mins. Then again multiple attempts with the same result and I just finally got a good 10min session from him at 11.

He has quite an overbite though and none of the nurses know if this could be affecting it or not. Does anyone have any experience with a baby having an overbite?
  • Options
    I have a lack of appetite too! I thought because we can eat an extra 300-500 calories a day that would mean I'd be starving...but I have literally no interest in food. I have been forcing myself to eat the last 2 days because baby just seems so unsatisfied. Mom is telling me that my milk may not have enough nutrients in it if I'm not eating enough.
  • Options
    Hey everyone! I'm new here but love the idea of a BF check in. I have a 13 day old-- after a few rough days and a visit to LC, a nipple shield is making breast feeding so much easier, though I have to admit that at times i wish DH could help more. He's so supportive and helpful, but I'm 'in charge' of all the BFing. DS is adorable and the feeding is good bonding, but I'm so tired. It'll be good to chat with ladies who are also going through it.

LC was super helpful -- would definitely recommend. If you're in the philly area, check out Abington breast feeding resource center.
  • Options

Mom is telling me that my milk may not have enough nutrients in it if I'm not eating enough.

This was brought up at a LLL meeting I attended and they basically said it isn't true. Your body can start pulling nutrients away from you though so I think it might be good to get to the bottom of your lack of appetite. If it's new maybe discuss with your OB.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
  • Options

He has quite an overbite though and none of the nurses know if this could be affecting it or not. Does anyone have any experience with a baby having an overbite?

The nursing mothers companion has chapters that focus on many different factors tat can complicate nursing. I can't recall if an overbite was one of the issues, but I think that might be a good place to start.

Sleepy newborns are son hard. Sometimes it helps if you undress them and big them during the nursing session to keep them awake. Hope it gets better!

Dec '12 & Jan '15
  • Options

I'm having similar problems. Baby boy latches great but at night he cluster feeds forEVER! I do 20min each side twice in a row...and in so sore afterwards too! We have been supplementing 1oz of formula at night around 12:30/1am and he usually goes to sleep around 2. After the formula he sleeps for like 4-6hours! I feel like we are cheating but honestly, we didn't know what else to do. I have (and still do) felt like a failure too and that I cannot produce what he needs. I have cried to my husband about it and he just reassures me that we are doing everything we can for him and if this is what he needs then this is what we need to do for him.

I agree with your DH, but I know sometimes you can't change how you feel. Have you takes with an LC or your OB about your supply issues ? There are things they might be able to recommend/prescribe to boost your supply.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
  • Options
    Thanks for coming back to us @amyg*!

So, I'm not sure if my supply is leveling off or dipping, but I haven't had that full feeling prior to feeding like I did earlier on. LO is 3 weeks old and I've now been EBFing for about 2 weeks (we were supplementing early on for jaundice).  Even at night when she sleeps 4 hours I don't feel full when I wake up where I used to wake up engorged after 2.5 hours.  I have been trying to increase my fluid intake today in case I am dehydrated.
  • Options
    The LC came this morning -

We were able to work on the latch and get some good ones, but DS2 has an extremely mild case of posterior tongue tie (not enough to operate), and I have insufficient glandular tissue. At least that explains some things, and with some work, she said I should be able to improve my supply.
  • Options
    I have twins, I am bf but they are not enough my girls still wants more so i have to give them bottle. I didn't want to but. And i am so tired.
  • Options
    @heidih21 instead of using an allotted length of time on each breast, watch the baby; when the baby is nursing they use short, quick suckles to stimulate milk let down and gather it before using a long drawn out suckle which when they swallow. I was told that when the baby gets to the point of using 4 quick suckles for every long suckle/swallow that your breast has been adequately emptied and the baby shouldnbe receiving plenty of hind milk. If you do this for a few feedings in a row and the baby's poop is still green then you will know it's not from a lack of hind milk.
  • Options
    Last time I posted things were getting better with bf my twins but its like one step forward ten steps back! I have been supplementing with formula for a day or so cuz my babies nurse and nurse but still seem hungry. I am producing milk cuz this am I pumped 6oz! But it's like unless I go two complete hours without nursing my supply isn't built up enough for the babies to get full. And I never go a complete two hours before one of them wants to nurse so I feel like im just always empty. I know s based on supply and demand it seems like I should be producing a ton but I just don't know! Im open to bf, pumping, and supplementing but its really frustrating! Does anyone have advice or know why it seems like my milk takes longer to build back up?
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

• Options
    AmyG* said:

I have a lack of appetite too! I thought because we can eat an extra 300-500 calories a day that would mean I'd be starving...but I have literally no interest in food. I have been forcing myself to eat the last 2 days because baby just seems so unsatisfied. Mom is telling me that my milk may not have enough nutrients in it if I'm not eating enough.

No your body will make sufficiently nutritious milk unless you are a starving 60 lb woman in Africa kind of thing.
    Your body will steal vitamins and minerals and fats from your own body's stores to make perfect milk for baby It's part of why we put on a bit of extra weight with pregnancy. Interestingly enuff if your body steals calcium from your bones during lactation when you wean your body will pack calcium back into your bones at a higher density than it was before. Something your body can't do (add calcium to bones at a high rate) once you are past puberty except for in lactating women. That's why bfing women have Lower rates of osteoporosis

Anyways set up a snack shop near your nursing chair and out some different things in there. Oaty granola bars and oatmeal cookies are food for their milk supply boost. As a bowl of oatmeal in the an as a routine even if you don't really want it. Part of why oatmeal is food for supply is that it's a pretty high calorie food per oz and some good solid nutrition as well

That's really interesting about the calcium. I didn't know that. I've been eating oatmeal every morning for the past week..so got that covered :) we've recently bought Cliff Bars for a higher protein snack that will satisfy and give my body what it needs.

It's strange, though, it feels like when I bf during the day, he is more satisfied than at night. During the day he will nurse 20 each side then sleep for 3 hrs right away...milk drunk...but at night he will snooze while nursing and fight sleep and cry and cry, which is why we've been supplementing.
  • Options

This was a great idea. I just had my Little one yesterday and so far breastfeeding has been rough. He fed for 10 mins the first time at 8pm. Then I couldn't get him to stay awake long enough to even try to latch until 4:30am and he ate for 15 mins. Then I attempted MANY times to get him to latch and he would open his mouth perfectly but then just sit there and look at me and wouldn't suck so he didn't eat again until 3:30pm and it was only for 5 mins. Then again multiple attempts with the same result and I just finally got a good 10min session from him at 11.

Don't worry. Stick with it. You both will get better at it. We are some of the only primates that have to learn how to do this...other than monkeys and gorillas. It gets better and once you've found your groove, it's such an amazing experience!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"